• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite Season 8: Discovery |OT| Epic invents pirates

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
UFZt8Um.jpg

This season brings an updated map with a large volcano eruption and volcano vents to launch you into the sky, as well as pirate outposts with cannons.

yE9KFjc.jpg

Other new features include a context sensitive ping system and party assist mode for completing challenges with your friends.

Boss Mog

They shouldn't have ditched Wailing Woods, it was one of the only interesting areas especially the way they updated it in season 6-7. I killed so many people with traps on the teleporters. And what about the mystery of the hatch? They strung us along for a few seasons with that. There's another similar hatch that appeared on the larger of the two snowy islands in the middle of last season I noticed.

They should've ditched the NW corner instead. Haunted Hills and Junk Junction are trash. Salty Springs is some hot garbage as well, I can't believe that it survived yet another season.

Last edited:
I'm not feeling this season pass at all. I think the Banana is the only skin that I like (the two tier 1 skins are decent, but I don't love them). I'm actually kind of glad, since now I don't feel compelled to do all my video game homework to reach tier 100.

I'm curious how the party assist mode works. For the challenge where you have to damage someone with an assault rifle, shotgun, and explosive weapon in the same match - can you split that between your team?

They should've ditched the NW corner instead. Haunted Hills and Junk Junction are trash. Salty Springs is some hot garbage as well, I can't believe that it survived yet another season.
That'll probably be next season, as they've taken out the other three corners in the last three seasons. But I feel like the center of the map (which you basically have to travel through almost every game) is most in need of an update. Dusty Divot, Tilted Towers, Retail Row, Salty Springs.... I'm ready for something new there.

Personally, I want a second map. Replacing a quarter of the map every season makes a difference, but I'd like to see something a bit more epic in scale. A pirate themed archipelago with boats to go between islands would be amazing.

brap

Banned
These are the blandest skins since I started playing in season 5. No wonder they gave out the battle pass for free lmao. Glad 50v50 is back though.

rivv3r

Banned
For me, It's a toss up between keeping the chick in the pajamas with the googly eyes (last season, tier 80ish) vs playing as the banana (this season, tier 40ish.)

brap

Banned
Ok I really like how the guy wearing the black assassins creed costume can turn into some undead skeleton pirate.
sopranos.jpg

ODESZA

I hope they add planes back. Maybe just spawn them in Frosty flights or make them random like the Pinatas.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Season 8 impressions so far:

There have been significant changes to the loot and ammo drop rates and rarity frequencies. Ammo conservation is a thing for the first time in Fortnite. The frequency of purple and gold weapons has been reduced a bunch after the recent power creep, so rare weapons are rare again. Context pinging was desperately needed and makes a big difference. These are all good changes.

Last season's changes that added bonus material drops on kills (50 of each mat) have led to the dominance of building-heavy players without effort put into farming mats specifically, which I'm not that fond of. The bonus health on kills makes for fun, aggressive, momentum based early games, but significantly reduces the importance of healing items. The health/shields on kill should be balanced differently, maybe only boosting HP.

Especially in squads, I'm missing airplanes. The game becomes a lot more dynamic with mobility vehicles that a whole squad can hop onto. Hoverboards are still around, but in lower quantities (only a few locations can outfit a four-man).

The map still has a lot of dead zones, and I'd like to see a less conservative approach to the map revisions going forward.

brap

Banned
Pretty sad how they took out 50v50 already. If you want respawn play a different fucking game.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I absolutely love swinging through the map with the Baller vehicle. It feels like I'm playing as Samus with an enhanced Morphball/Boostball and her Grapple Beam combined. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

tumblr_n47orqjfF71qe96vjo1_400.jpg

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yeah, the baller physics are a lot of fun. There's not that much offensive capability but it's a cool scouting and mobility option, and it's by far the quietest vehicle. A lot of times I'll bring it with me into endgame and relocate to the tops of mountains with it or zip over and grab supply drops.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Yeah! I also actually won a Duos match (with an early dead partner) by simply zipping around the jungle and breaking the last opposing teams builds like a wrecking ball. They ended up getting killed by the storm, unable to make it back up the hill in time.

I'm sure they were absolutely furious, but I couldn't help laughing the entire time as they were trying to catch me... :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
8.11 patch is live:

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/patch-notes/v8-11

Fortnite%2Fpatch-notes%2Fv8-10-copy%2Fbr-header-v8-11%2F08BR_Flint-KnockPistol_Social-1920x1080-6d51b716e2717bdefced98ed2000821ff1121b07.jpg

• Flint-Knock Pistol
    • Available in Common and Uncommon Rarities.
    • Found from Floor Loot.
    • Knocks back the shooter. Can also knock back the target if they’re close enough.
      • The closer you are to the target, the farther they get knocked away.
      • The shooter can crouch to prevent the knockback.
    • Close range damage: 86/90
      • Significant damage falloff.
    • Must reload after each shot.
      • 3 second reload time.
    • Uses Heavy Ammo.
  • Unvaulted the Impulse Grenade
    • Impulse strength against vehicles has been increased by 344%
  • Increased the impulse strength of explosive weapons against vehicles by 233%
  • Scoped Assault Rifle
    • Increased base damage from 24/23 to 27/26
  • Reduced the spawn rate of the Baller from 100% to 50%

Grieves

Played a solo match last night and finished 20th. Got my Finish top 25 solo daily but it didn't unlock the Outlive 60 people weekly.

My son had a go on solo and ended up 3rd. Outlive 60 people still didn't pop up.

I turned the game off after that. I'll go back when they've fixed this challenge.

Grieves

I didn't know you can earn Victory Umbrellas in LTMs. I've just got the season 8 umbrella in Air Royal.

Weilthain

Banned
I was playing fortnight this morning for the first time properly, with my kid on one pc and I’m on the laptop.

The game is way more fun than I thought, I’d pretty much dismissed it due to the art style and hype.

Granted we just play creative because he is 5 and we’re not exactly a effective squad killing machine...yet.

Sorry for dismissing you fortnite, solid game and thanks for being free.

Last edited:

Roitorb

I was playing fortnight this morning for the first time properly, with my kid on one pc and I’m on the laptop.

The game is way more fun than I thought, I’d pretty much dismissed it due to the art style and hype.

Granted we just play creative because he is 5 and we’re not exactly a effective squad killing machine...yet.

Sorry for dismissing you fortnite, solid game and thanks for being free.

I only play it too with my boys, with me on Xbox and them on there switch’s. They absolutely love it. Although it’s not a game I play when they aren’t at mine for the weekend I really do enjoy it for what it is and bring me and my sons together.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Anyone play STW here?

Excited for Twine changes for 9.0

Play BR too, got to 100 on the Battle Pass, did the Overtime Challenges prior in Season 7 to net it for free

Amassed a nice nest egg, still adding lol
MtYJS65.jpg

Top Bottom