• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite Season 9 |OT| Epic Invents Capitalism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love

This bit right here is very exciting:

"Beginning with the release of the 11.50 update in early February, Fortnite will be moving to Unreal Engine’s Chaos physics system. At launch, the goal is to ensure that Fortnite still feels like Fortnite. Along the way there will be some bumps, so we’re starting tests with a small group of players. We’ll also closely monitor feedback and make improvements over time."

The Chaos physics engine is capable of some pretty amazing things. As someone who only plays Fortnite on the Switch, I have to admit I'm a bit worried. Still, I'm very much looking to what awaits us! :)

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I really love that this Season 1, like the first couple of Seasons, gave us a chance to settle into our new home.

That said, I’m so ready for the amazing worldbuilding that made the game so much fun to follow, to return. I really hope Season 2 brings some crazy things to the new island.

Also, that physics engine could be really cool. I don’t know how much of that could logically make it in, but as Fortnite was kind of a pioneer with destructibility of literally everything, it would be cool to see it take the next step. Maybe they’re getting ready for next-gen?

Like Ailynn Ailynn , I just hope it’s reduced or turned off for the Switch, if it pushes things too hard. They’ve been pretty good about scaling everything, and Chapter 2 has been fantastic to play on the Switch, so that’s in their favor.

NickFire

Ailynn Ailynn and -Arcadia- -Arcadia- , happy to see others here have been enjoying this new chapter. I've been a proponent of the game and business model for some time, and Chapter 2 has been an absolute blast. To this day I'm still surprised this title doesn't get more talk around here, but that's ok to each their own. For anyone who might have been turned off by the almost instant death lesser skilled players could face previously, consider giving it a shot if you like pick up and play games that are just fun. They have changed so much more than the map, and it is so much more balanced in terms of player skill that I cannot recommend enough for people who enjoy games they can chill and play for 10 minutes, 4 hours, or with weeks off between sessions.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I really think the matchmaking has been transformational on all levels.

Not only can newbies, or people who don’t play much, actually have fun with the game now, but even for vets, a steady skill level for opponents is both a chance to improve your skills at your own pace, and just enjoy yourself more.

The difference was really stark when I did one of their tournaments, and the matchmaking was mostly shut off. The challenge was cool, but jacked up so high that the game was markedly less fun, and more stressful.

-Arcadia-

Banned
In other news, 10 days to Season 2!

The first season in a very long time. I really have no idea what to expect, with how much the game has changed/reset back to its simple origins.

I do know that Epic, in Chapter 1, talked about each new season feeling like discovering something akin to a whole new game. Is that philosophy still in effect? I guess you could definitely say it was at the beginning of this season.

Certainly, multiple delays for Season 2 could indicate that some big changes to the status quo are incoming.

Then there’s this.

YFKfFpd.jpg

Never have I wanted to highlight and spoil something more (you can’t).

NickFire

In other news, 10 days to Season 2!

The first season in a very long time. I really have no idea what to expect, with how much the game has changed/reset back to its simple origins.

I do know that Epic, in Chapter 1, talked about each new season feeling like discovering something akin to a whole new game. Is that philosophy still in effect? I guess you could definitely say it was at the beginning of this season.

Certainly, multiple delays for Season 2 could indicate that some big changes to the status quo are incoming.

Then there’s this.

YFKfFpd.jpg

Never have I wanted to highlight and spoil something more (you can’t).
With the underlying nature of the game (all skins cosmetic only and no P2W mechanics), I'm really intrigued by where they go. I'm holding on a slim shred of hope that multiple might refer to adding a mode where you do have perks and stats like in STW, with your STW skins and stats dictating power level in the new mode. I do realize this probably is not happening any time soon if ever though,

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
This season is incredibly fun so far. I love those spy bases - Disguises, enemy minions and a boss who carries a super strong weapon you can acquire and a key to their vault, using downed enemies to see where treasures are and then scanning their face to open other weapon caches, crawling through air vents for sneaky entry, and secret exit tubes.

So fun! ❤

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Seconding Season 2 being amazing. It’s not wearing off after a few weeks either.

This is such a great expansion on the Chapter 2, Season 1 reboot, and between these two, the game is in a really good place, maybe some of the most fun it’s ever been.

The spy bases are a whole new wrinkle to Battle Royale, like a single player game crossed with a hundred player one, and so much fun. Surviving these feels like winning a mini Battle Royale before jumping out to the main one.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love

That concert was amazing. Probably the best live event yet...even more so than the giant kaiju battle. Height-shifting massive Travis Scott must have been over 400 feet tall at one point. His foot alone was probably 20 times the size of the yacht.

Uf7EkeY.png

I knew nothing of Travis Scott before this event, but I was very impressed by what Epic pulled off with this. Absolutely amazing. ❤

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I just showed up for a concert, and suddenly there was a 400 foot tall rapper, hellscapes full of fire, time lapsed stars, and rollercoasters, aquatic dreamscapes, super nova explosions, neon wonderlands, and I flew in orbit around the planet several times. Lol

It really blew my mind. I just expected to dance at a stage and have a ton of fun, with some added videogame-y stuff, like the Marshmello concert.

Here, the stage didn’t even get used. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The fact that they did all this, and partially from home, is absolutely amazing. Just one of the things here, at less scale, would have made jaws drop last year, but they keep raising the bar to beyond-absurd levels.

I’m surprised they brought back the absolute fireworks so soon into Chapter 2, but delighted they did so. I can only imagine what’s going to be possible with the story stuff, if they can do this.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Party Royale is the most ridiculously fun idea that seems like it shouldn’t be at all.

Adding weekly concerts has been pretty awesome, and I’m looking forward to seeing where it all goes. It very much seems like 1.0 of a social space that could really become a thing.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
The grind getting 10,000 damage at the Agency is taking forever. It's the only challenge I have left.

I think I'm level 270 or so and currently using the Psylocke set. How about everyone else? :)

bYM3WH1.png

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
The grind getting 10,000 damage at the Agency is taking forever. It's the only challenge I have left.

I think I'm level 270 or so and currently using the Psylocke set. How about everyone else? :)

bYM3WH1.png

I am being lazy and accidentally unlocking challenges. Lol. Season 9 and X burnt me out hard on challenges — the final day of X, I think I spent five hours mopping up the remaining ones, and I was just done, haha.

I want to get back into them soon, though. May skip the ones you’re mentioning, lol.

Level 160 or so (it being on fire is cool) and this is my current skin. I finished up my Maya, and while I didn’t get too crazy with it, it’s still pretty awesome that I have my own, largely unique, skin.

AP9CcZc.jpg

I just wanted something simple like the defaults, so it ended up really cool for me.

D.Final

Banned
I am being lazy and accidentally unlocking challenges. Lol. Season 9 and X burnt me out hard on challenges — the final day of X, I think I spent five hours mopping up the remaining ones, and I was just done, haha.

I want to get back into them soon, though. May skip the ones you’re mentioning, lol.

Level 160 or so (it being on fire is cool) and this is my current skin. I finished up my Maya, and while I didn’t get too crazy with it, it’s still pretty awesome that I have my own, largely unique, skin.

AP9CcZc.jpg

I just wanted something simple like the defaults, so it ended up really cool for me.

Cool skin

-Arcadia-

Banned
having a lot of fun, many new modes and systems encourage aggressive play

melee weapons are fun, phantasy star online vibes

impressive engine overhaul, game looks downright gorgeous at higher settings

The few days of lightsabers recently were ridiculous. I had so much fun playing with them. For a shooting game, it’s remarkably adept at that kind of stuff.

Totally agree on the visuals. On a One X, so maybe not getting the absolute best settings? That said, it’s a big jump over my original PS4, and the game just looks lovely. I should risk taking a few screenshots tonight, haha. Even bumping it down to Switch, it still looks good, which is probably a sign of a job well done.

Tesseract

Banned
The few days of lightsabers recently were ridiculous. I had so much fun playing with them. For a shooting game, it’s remarkably adept at that kind of stuff.

Totally agree on the visuals. On a One X, so maybe not getting the absolute best settings? That said, it’s a big jump over my original PS4, and the game just looks lovely. I should risk taking a few screenshots tonight, haha. Even bumping it down to Switch, it still looks good, which is probably a sign of a job well done.
200.gif

-Arcadia-

Banned

Done. ^ _ ^ It was very stressful to start with, taking pictures in the middle of a game (That screenshot capture button is defo a nice addition on Series X), lol, so I didn’t really have to time to try to capture an awesome pic, like I would normally.

That said, it is such a beautiful game. Hopefully these don’t compress during upload or something.

Aarq7lX.jpg

qAaQp1G.jpg

S2FBnZ5.jpg

Iu3jW5q.jpg

Jfn8ps8.jpg

JdZ99Iv.jpg

Lighting and shadow are really strong. There’s some weaker visual spots, but overall gorgeous.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I’m really impressed by Party Royale. Btw, they’ve been holding live concerts there on a near-weekly basis as well.

I need to check this out in a few minutes.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Okay, this was pretty cool.

Being with other people, interacting with emotes and such, makes it feel like more of an event. The tomatoes being thrown at the screen when the Keighley interview was going on a bit long, cracked me up.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I can not believe that they’re going to do the first massive storyline happening of Chapter 2, just about a month after the jaw-dropping Travis Scott concert. I am so hyped. It’s been six months since The End, and after exploring the new island for two wonderfully fun seasons, I’m really ready to get back to this craziness.

Things I’ve noticed so far:

-The devices around The Agency are bubbling
-Piping is being added, one by one, to the rooms in the menu, probably to the below
-Midas’ room in the menus has some kind of crazy machine that’s been activated, and is intense looking, with electric everywhere, with another countdown clock to this Saturday on his desk
-There’s weird clouds hanging around the sky near The Agency, and in bits and pieces of the map
-The Storm is way, way off-kilter, with some bizarre first circles
-The new challenge set and loading screen are called Storm The Agency, and seem to hint or outright show that Shadow will sieging it

Anyone game for a new OT, btw? I’d really like to do that, once we get some concrete details on Season 3, and whatever happens this weekend. I think we could get some better traffic, and new visitors, than with this ancient (by Fortnite terms) thread, lol.

Also, watch out for spoilers out there. You especially, Ibiza. 😋 There’s a lot of details floating around about what’s going to happen, vague, but picture painting enough, including a loading screen that straight up says what’s going to be attempted by a character in the storyline.

bitbydeath

I can not believe that they’re going to do the first massive storyline happening of Chapter 2, just about a month after the jaw-dropping Travis Scott concert. I am so hyped. It’s been six months since The End, and after exploring the new island for two wonderfully fun seasons, I’m really ready to get back to this craziness.

Things I’ve noticed so far:

-The devices around The Agency are bubbling
-Piping is being added, one by one, to the rooms in the menu, probably to the below
-Midas’ room in the menus has some kind of crazy machine that’s been activated, and is intense looking, with electric everywhere, with another countdown clock to this Saturday on his desk
-There’s weird clouds hanging around the sky near The Agency, and in bits and pieces of the map
-The Storm is way, way off-kilter, with some bizarre first circles
-The new challenge set and loading screen are called Storm The Agency, and seem to hint or outright show that Shadow will sieging it

Anyone game for a new OT, btw? I’d really like to do that, once we get some concrete details on Season 3, and whatever happens this weekend. I think we could get some better traffic, and new visitors, than with this ancient (by Fortnite terms) thread, lol.

Also, watch out for spoilers out there. You especially, Ibiza. 😋 There’s a lot of details floating around about what’s going to happen, vague, but picture painting enough, including a loading screen that straight up says what’s going to be attempted by a character in the storyline.

Bring it on. Waiting anxiously for season 3.
I hear the Doomsday device is

a hurricane which is going to flood the map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom