• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite VGA 2011 Trailer (Epic's New IP) - [Epic: Like Minecraft, More Info]

Vire

real money to buy shit?

and you think it cool?

DELETE THAT POST RIGHT AWAY. You can't have devs thinking its alright to IAP, DLC nickle dime bullshit.
I don't really have a problem with the free to play model as long as it's done right. (Team Fortress 2).

Dakota47

Looks interesting to me. I can dig a tower defense - minecraft hybrid in an apocalyptic setting with TF2 style graphics.

-PXG-

Epic has also mentioned that they want to go back to making games for the PC again.

It just makes sense that this game would be F2P. No way Sony or MS would allow a F2P model on their system. Sony has Home, but that is the closest thing they have to "freemium" content. No such thing exists on Live, unless I'm just completely ignorant.

So, with that said, I get the impression that Fornite is a Minecraft clone, with TF2/ LOL-esque monetization.

EDIT

Oh, and lets not forget the TF2/ Monday Night Combat inspired art.

Sciz

90's Epic Megagames was all about flagrantly taking existing concepts and putting their own spin on them. The results were invariably fun as hell. If this is the start of a return to those days, I might be able to forgive them for killing Jazz.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Epic has also mentioned that they want to go back to making games for the PC again.

It just makes sense that this game would be F2P. No way Sony or MS would allow a F2P model on their system. Sony has Home, but that is the closest thing they have to "freemium" content. No such thing exists on Live, unless I'm just completely ignorant.

So, with that said, I get the impression that Fornite is a Minecraft clone, with TF2. LOL-esque monetization.

Um, DC Universe is F2P on PS3.

LOCK

I hated the trailer for this. Actually show us the game, that's the only way we will know what this game is aiming for.

So they are trying to turn Horde into a standalone game with hints of Minecraft and with Insomniac/Valve art direction.

I'm guessing this is an iOS/Android/XBLA/PSN/Steam game? The only reason I'm disappointed is that I was expecting a console/PC game, other than that it's too soon to judge.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Looks like it, though they didn't show much.

I laughed when night came and monsters showed up. First thought was Minecraft.
Oh My God.

Gamers, lay down your ridiculous brand allegiances and think rationally.

I laughed when night came and monsters showed up. First thought was Hyrule Field.

JJD

Looks cool, but I'll have to see some gameplay.

Big props for Epic for trying something new, instead of relaying on the conventional gameplay mechanics everyone expects of then (first or third person shooters). Will probably buy it.

Alex

I don't like the art but the rest sounds really neat in concept so far.

This board is really hard to read today, for some reason, so many angry little quips and so much cynicism over all of the new content shown today, lil bit sad.

tranciful

No way Sony or MS would allow a F2P model on their system. Sony has Home, but that is the closest thing they have to "freemium" content. No such thing exists on Live, unless I'm just completely ignorant.

Free Realms, Angels Online, and Buzz: Quiz Player are all freemium games on PSN :)

Konami is also launching freemium games on Vita

edit: and DCU, as previously mentioned

KingJ2002

i dig the art style... reminds me of TF2... but im curious as to who will publish this game.

EA seems like a likely candidate.

Mxrz

I kept waiting for a fat marine to pop up. Good on Epic for trying something new. I'll give it ago, if it isn't exclusive at least. Really need a proper sequel to 2k4, though, Epic.

jagowar

This is one I have no hype for until I see what the actual gameplay is going to be.... don't have a real good idea from their trailer. Also not a fan of the zombie-like enemy.

Einbroch

Banned
Love the first comment:

Blow up perfectly good building
Comeback with shopping carts full of street signs
Build new building out of street signs

But color me interested in the premise. MORE ZOMBIE RAGE, but like Last of Us, I'm reserving judgment.

Atomski

Ive been begging for a modern looking non java based Minecraftish game. Dont think this is what I was looking for though..

Source-Forts?

That brings me back. Me and a friend played a load of that one summer.

and a quick google search shows those guys are still updating it. good for them. might have to give it a go again.

Iknos

How are people getting Minecraft out of the video that was shown. WHAT IS GOING ON WITH EVERYONE. NOTHING MAKE SENSE ANYMORE.

PEOPLE JUST GOT INTO GAMING 5 YEARS AGO AND THINK EVERYTHING IS MINECRAFT.

This game seems a lot like Rampart.

With Team Fortress 2 dudes.

Top Bottom