• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite VGA 2011 Trailer (Epic's New IP) - [Epic: Like Minecraft, More Info]

Riposte

It is really hard to imagine this being worse than Minecraft despite me personally having no interest in tower defense games.

Also calling this a Minecraft rip off is pretty dirty since the building block mechanic of Minecraft was actually ripped off another indie game Infiniminer. (At one point both games were competing for the attention of /v/, those were the days.)

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
The first seconds are great, very TF2-ish, then all the Tower Defense Zombies happening. Bummer, can't stand that stuff.

Probably just some Trailer for a 2d pixel facebook game that looks nothing like this.

jgminto

I think the premise is really cool. I love games where you actually have to survive. If the game is permadeath like I'm hoping it is it'll pretty much be day 1. And I really like the art style.

Radec

Meh...

But I wasnt expecting something spectacular though.

I wish this will be their last game using that kind of art style.

And minecraft? wheres the resemblance lol.

jgminto

Meh...

But I wasnt expecting something spectacular though.

I wish this will be their last game using that kind of art style.

... this is the only game they've done that's used this artstyle. And I don't get what you guys are complaining about. It looks really nice. Kinda gives me a "Ghost Trick in 3D" vibe.

Any hints or tweets about the platforms for this one? I imagine it might appear on PC/PS3/360 and Wii U. If Epic pulled their finger out they could even make a Vita version.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
People comparing this to Minecraft and Terraria are nuts. Those are games where you can craft and mine EVERYTHING in the world, hence their blocky construction. Just because theyre the forefront of that genre doesnt mean they can be used as examples for this.

What this resembles to me is instead the Horde mode base stuff from Gears 3, with a greater emphasis on the fort making and with TF2's artstyle transplanted directly on-top.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
its more ramparts than mine craft.

and it didn't look like tower defence either. Tower defence is about route defence, not literally defending one tower from a bunch of enemies standing outside.

Red

I don't think it is simply the crafting component that is causing people to think "Minecraft." It's the crafting in conjunction with a day/night cycle involving monsters.

I'm willing to bet this game has nothing on Dungeon Defenders in terms of Tower Defense/mutiplayer/action and of course depth in chracter/weapon/armor development.

I dont get it how people see minecraft in it.
You build something at day and get attacked at night is that something that is what embodies minecraft i always thought it was the cubes with simple graphics, that was the reason with fortressCraft.

And more of something good is bad?

eso76

Epic does a shooter with bald space marines

"meh, how original of Epic"

Epic does something that might play and certainly looks unique

"oh shit, what happened to them, this is such a letdown and doesn't look like epic at all, Epic fail amirite"

It looks interesting and it doesn't look like something Epic would make.
Which is a PLUS in case you're wondering.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
I dont get it how people see minecraft in it.
You build something at day and get attacked at night is that something that is what embodies minecraft i always thought it was the cubes with simple graphics, that was the reason with fortressCraft.

And more of something good is bad?

minecraft and even more so with terraria is you want to build during the day while things are calm and hunker down at night when all the mass baddies come out

So, here's a rundown of what we know about this game at the moment:

• It combines survival horror (?) with tower defense like strategic gameplay
  • Build a fortress during the day by destroying other structures and scavenging parts, defend it and shoot zombies during the night
  • Third person gameplay
  • Multiplayer experience
  • Developed with Unreal Engine technology (no explicit mention of UE3, oddly)
  • More similar to Minecraft than the other games being mentioned
  • No publisher yet; trailer was apparently used to catch the eye of publishers, not only gamers, which explains...
  • Unclear on which platforms it'll release for
  • Unclear on what pricing model it'll use
Sources: Forbes article, Lee Perry's Twitter

Anything else?

-PXG-

I don't think it is simply the crafting component that is causing people to think "Minecraft." It's the crafting in conjunction with a day/night cycle involving monsters.
Yep.

I guess the game will play a lot like Gears' Horde mode though, but with a lot more fortifications.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, here's a rundown of what we know about this game at the moment:

• It combines survival horror (?) with tower defense like strategic gameplay
  • Build a fortress during the day by destroying other structures and scavenging parts, defend it and shoot zombies during the night
  • Third person gameplay
  • Multiplayer experience
  • Developed with Unreal Engine technology (not explicit mention of UE3, oddly)
  • More similar to Minecraft than the other games being mentioned
  • No publisher yet; trailer was apparently used to catch the eye of publishers, not only gamers, which explains...
  • Unclear on which platforms it'll release for
  • Unclear on what pricing model it'll use
Sources: Forbes article, Lee Perry's Twitter

Anything else?
I think the most notable other note is that the teaser was put out to attract publishers.

SykoTech

Yeah, the "like Minecraft" thing doesn't thrill me either. Still waiting for solid gameplay, but interests are slipping.

quickwhips

I love how everyone is bitching about epic trying a new genre but bitch more when they only did space marines. This looks cool. I never played minecraft but was going to pick it up. Maybe I will wait and give this a try instead. The visuals of minecraft just didnt grab me. I'm glad to see them doing something different.

inky

When I saw the video die2nite came to mind
http://www.die2nite.com/#index

I thought the exact same thing but couldn't remember the name of the game. I think I even read first about that one here on GAF. Thx.

If the online is handled similarly i.e. having 40-50 strangers competing/cooperating in their own unique towns (plus measuring your town vs other towns) it could be lots of fun. D2N was basically turn based which allowed games to extend for a long time (even weeks) and IMO that caused many of the issues (people would stop caring and not log in, although it was good for a browser based game), but having this concept play out in a quicker, more actiony fashion could work out.
Suddenly I'm more interested in this game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is this a retail release or a downloadable release? If its downloadable. . .surely they could publish it themselves.

I don't think they're ruling out that, but they might be able to make the game a bigger downloadable title with third party funding.

Top Bottom