• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite's Raytraced GI and AO in a nutshell

Dampf

RT GI low/ RT AO Medium
CQusoOV.jpg

cWAv2nr.jpg

RT GI and RT AO off

What is going on here? Why is the GI and AO so bad? The shed lighting looks completely flat and unrealistic with GI on, as there's not much light entering it. Looks much better with RT GI off. The AO does nothing in this game, look how flat the shed appears on the ground or how flat the grass is, regardless if RT AO is on or off, same applies for any small objects on the ground, they appear completely flat.

And then there's the framerate impact. Like holy shit, I have tested Metros GI that costs nothing compared to this and does a much better job. Or the one in Ring of Elysium that runs even faster than the pre-baked GI and looks ten times better.

UE4 games always have crappy RT implementations, but Fortnite is the king, easily. Never seen such a badly done RT implementation in my life. The reflections are nice, but performance varies geatly.

Look how bad the framerate impact is on a 3070, going from 166 FPS at 1080p to 1080p 44 FPS with RTX on:

It seems sad to me that this is supposed to be the engine's showcase for new tech...

Last edited:

lyan

Looks reasonable to me. I mean real life doesn't automatically look good, even in basic scenes film production and professional photographers often have plenty of complexly directed lights setup outside of the view frustum to make the final picture look acceptable.

well it shows that you can't just stick realtime GI on a no realtime solution and expect it to look good anywhere in the game. you basically would have to author your lightning twice in the art pipeline. that obviously won't be happening in existing games.

VFXVeteran

Banned
RT GI low/ RT AO Medium
CQusoOV.jpg

cWAv2nr.jpg

RT GI and RT AO off

What is going on here? Why is the GI and AO so bad? The shed lighting looks completely flat and unrealistic with GI on, as there's not much light entering it. Looks much better with RT GI off. The AO does nothing in this game, look how flat the shed appears on the ground or how flat the grass is, regardless if RT AO is on or off, same applies for any small objects on the ground, they appear completely flat.

Are you for real?

The RTX off in the shed looks completely wrong! Why would you see the sky color in the shed when the ceiling of the shed is blocking the sky?? Where is "flat" in the RTX On? There is shadowing everywhere to make it look solid. Go open your front door to your house and walk outside of your house, turn around and look inside of it.. tell me how much light is shining inside your house from the outside sky and sun and ignoring all the shadows produced by all the objects in your house including the roof.

People are literally used to completely WRONG rendering and call the correct rendering wrong?? WTF??

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Are you for real?

The RTX off in the shed looks completely wrong! Why would you see the sky color in the shed when the ceiling of the shed is blocking the sky?? Where is "flat" in the RTX On? There is shadowing everywhere to make it look solid. Go open your front door to your house and walk outside of your house, turn around and look inside of it.. tell me how much light is shining inside your house from the outside sky and sun and ignoring all the shadows produced by all the objects in your house including the roof.

People are literally used to completely WRONG rendering and call the correct rendering wrong?? WTF??

I can see your point.

Probably comes down to one looking better and offering more contrast, even if it’s not accurate. More realistic /= more visually appealing, which is a fascinating thing to see happening.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Since the next gen consoles play this at 4k 60 with rt on, does this mean now they are just as good as a 3070 instead of a 2060 as per watchdogs? I mean if we are going to judge by one game......

Shmunter

Just like in movies, realistic lighting is not automatically better than stylized considered lighting. Fake artistic use of lighting for higher impact is standard in media.

In games, yes, you lose dynamic flexibility if pre-baked - so the scene cannot change automatically based on inputs. BUT until we get more world simulation, physic, destruction, etc. it's usefulness can be a detriment to the visuals.

Uhh, add me to the crowd that initially thought of the 2nd pic having RTGI and RTAO ON, haven't watched the video yet. Check out the AO in the background on the foliage.

Could be the artstyle or maybe it looks better in motion, but these shots sure don't show an uplift in detail. Reminded me of MW's RT screencaps on Nvidia's blog for their PR materials for RTX, the rasterized ones being better.

Will watch the video now.

Dampf

Are you for real?

The second Screenshot, the one with the darker shadowing, is RT off not on, look at the Framerate. The implementation in this game is clearly broken.

I know a good implementation of RT when I see one. Metro has superb GI which makes a dramatic difference.

This thread is not against RT im absolutely obsessed with RT just like you. This thread is against the poor implementation of Raytracing in this game and in UE4 which sheds a bad light (hehe) on raytracing in general.

But that's with RT off. I think you got it switched.

Nope, you got it switched. The one with the flat looking, bright shed interior, the first screenshot, is RT GI on. Again, look at the framerate.

Your little rant was for nothing lol

Why are you showcasing the Low and Medium settings for the RTX?

Cuz there's not much difference to Ultra.

Last edited:

Dibils2k

its really triggering me that you start the first image with the label above the image, then for the rest you put it under the image! WHYYYYYYY!

TonyK

Are you for real?

Light is not bouncing properly in any of those screenshots. Inner building has a irreal blue tint in both (blue shadows are related to sky). Light bounced from lighted floor (warm light) will remove that blue tint in the parts where light bounces because they have different temperatures, so the result should be grayish.

In resume: both are fake AF. So better to choose the one with better framerate.

Mister Wolf

The second Screenshot, the one with the darker shadowing, is RT off not on, look at the Framerate. The implementation in this game is clearly broken.

I know a good implementation of RT when I see one. Metro has superb GI which makes a dramatic difference.

This thread is not against RT im absolutely obsessed with RT just like you. This thread is against the poor implementation of Raytracing in this game and in UE4 which sheds a bad light (hehe) on raytracing in general.

Nope, you got it switched. The one with the flat looking, bright shed interior, the first screenshot, is RT GI on. Again, look at the framerate.

Cuz there's not much difference to Ultra.

So use Ultra then.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned

I see what happened here. My bad. That's a terrible implementation of RTX. It's not casting enough AO rays and not attenuating enough bounced rays from the sky but the ceiling is broken through. I didn't notice that at first.

Last edited:
Top Bottom