• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forum Ban stops player from Playing Dragon Age 2

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Someone sent this link to me, and frankly this is an incredibly worrying precedent -

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6459941/1

For those that can't see the forums due to work/firewalls I'll copy paste the two relevant posts in question

OP of the thread on the Bioware Forums said:
So.
My other account got suspended yesterday for 72 hours. My suspended v_ware account has all my Bioware games registered to it. My other games are Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age: Origins and Awakening. I have played every game off Bioware since KOTOR, which is my favourite game of all time.

Since I have these other games and off course have played the DA2 demo, my previously unlocked DA2 content is assigned to this account.

When I got the mail I was curieus. I wanted to know what I did that was offensive. The mail stated that I was suspended for inappropriate content. There was no further explenation to what the particular reason was.

On EA Live Chat they told me that that I said: "Have you sold your souls to the EA devil?" (This is a quote, don't suspend me again)

Now, those are the words I said, you can't argue with that. I'm not going to try and sugarcoat that, let me just say in my defense, I have always been a pretty reasonable person on this forum. So I agree that you guys suspended my account from the forums for 72 hours. Btw, this is the first time I got suspended.

What I don't agree with is that I can't activate my new DA2 game.

This is the deal. I just got my Bioware Signature Edition from the store. I allready knew I was going to play it without the extra content since I can't activate my extra codes. What I did not know was that I needed to activate the game before being abble to play it. So now I've got a dead game for 50 euros. Pity.

So for your consideration. Please let someone who payed for his game at least play it.

Arno
x

PS: Don't really know where to post this, since I'm unable to post in the technical support forum because I don't have an activated game. Figured it may get more attention from the mods here anyway. And pm'ing Chris Priestly is just sort of rude.
PSS: No trolling and no flaming. I knew what I did was wrong, the mods were right to suspend me, but being unable to play a game you bought seems a little steep.

The Bioware forum Moderator's response -

Moderator said:
Please review the EA Community Terms of Service, particularly sections #9 and #11. There are two levels of enforcement here:

1. BioWare community bans are forum-only and can be for as little as 24 hours. These bans should have no effect on your game, only your ability to use all the features of this website/community. these bans are handed out by BioWare Moderators as the result of our travels around the forum and/or issues reported by fellow community members.

2. EA Community bans come down from a different department and are the result of someone hitting the REPORT POST button. These bans can affect access to your game and/or DLC.

Because the BioWare community now operates under the same umbrella as all EA Communities, community members here have all explicitly agreed to abide by and be governed by both sets of rules. Consider it an added incentive to follow the rules you say you're going to follow.

If there are further questions or concerns, please send them to me via private message. Thank you.

End of line.

What the hell? Sure he got banned. He even admits he deserved it, but locking access to the account for the ability to even play the game he legitimately purchased? Thats kinda worrying. If a guy is being a dick in a game, ban him from the game. If a guy is being a dick in the forums, ban him from the forums. I just don't understand how this seems like a legitimate and logical idea coming from EA/Bioware Why should a forum account and a game be linked in such a way?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

notsol337

marked forever
Well, I think I'm done buying EA's games. It's been a long time since I got one (Mass Effect), but now I'm pretty certain EA is terrible. Guess I'm gonna miss out on Dragon Age!

Goon Boon

Banned
This is a thousand times worse than all those bullshit reviews this got, get banned on forum get banned from DA2 is total evil.

notworksafe

Wow that's stupid. Why link accounts in such a way, EA?

Also as a quick question: Does getting banned from Steam Community affect purchases on your Steam account? Just curious if Valve is keeping them apart...

LiK

Yea, I agree, he was banned but it shouldn't affect the content that came with his game. EA should fix this.

Btw, If they want to flame, stick with forums that are independent.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
2. EA Community bans come down from a different department and are the result of someone hitting the REPORT POST button. These bans can affect access to your game and/or DLC.

Because the BioWare community now operates under the same umbrella as all EA Communities, community members here have all explicitly agreed to abide by and be governed by both sets of rules. Consider it an added incentive to follow the rules you say you're going to follow.

jesus fucking christ

He's kind-of being rather dramatic - so he can't play the game for 72 hours, that doesn't equate to "now I've got a dead game for 50 euros."

fernoca

Wow, what a shitty move.
And all that, for saying "Have you sold your souls to the EA devil?" ? :O! XD
..and because someone "reported" him?

Volcynika

notworksafe said:

Also as a quick question: Does getting banned from Steam Community affect purchases on your Steam account? Just curious if Valve is keeping them apart...

I don't know of anyone getting their community account banned. I only know of actual account bans.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Another reason to hate Bioware's godawful social 'service' (like it deserves to be called a service..). It was bad enough when I had to jump through hoops to activate content that belonged to me, but this is an even better reason to hate that shit. It's hard to enjoy their games when you have their thumb up your ass the entire time.

abolish

Victrix

*beard*
I've been unable to launch my Dragon Age save game repeatedly due to not being logged in (despite being logged in).

That alone was enough to piss me off severely.

This would make me flip my shit.

Bad show EA, bad show Bioware. Ugly precedent.

Richly deserves all the bad press this is going to get.

LiK

The only reason to post on Bioware forums is for support help for a game or online store. That's what I do there.

woolley

I remember this being a problem with BFBC2. It's fine for someone to be banned from a forum if they broke the rules or suspended from their PSN account for cheating in game but to stop someone from playing a game that they paid for because of a forum that does not effect the game in any way is just wrong.

Angry Fork

JWong said:
72 hours is not that long.

Deal with it.

/sunglassesdog.gif
That's not the point. If he was banned forever should he not be allowed to play the game he bought because of something he did on a forum?

There's some real lunacy over at Bioware these days.

notworksafe

So wait...what if he didn't have an EA account? Or wanted to play offline? Is it impossible to play DA2 without an EA account?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
1245227615_colin_farrel.gif

mrgone

notworksafe said:

Steam and Steam Community forums are completely separate.

Zzoram

Ya fuck off Bioware/EA. I'm going to only buy Mass Effect 3 USED and trade it back in to cost you another sale. After that no more games from Bioware/EA.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
notworksafe said:
So wait...what if he didn't have an EA account? Or wanted to play offline? Is it impossible to play DA2 without an EA account?
It bans you from logging in an he presumably wants to get all his DLC.

Edit:

Right, also the first activation would be prevented.

Zeal

Banned
so basically, you say something EA doesn't like and they take your videogame playing 'privileges' away like you're in elementary school.

what the hell is even going on. is this real life.

Top Bottom