• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forum Poster Report: Sony cuts Vita shipment for France by 50%

Marco1

I have 3 young relatives who all received 3DS each for Christmas and all 3 owned PSP.
I asked why they didn't want vita and they all just replied with no interest in the product.
The weird thing is that I know for a fact that at least 2 of the 3 3DS will be collecting dust by Easter but it was the 3D that grabbed them.

jman2050

They stupidly priced themselves out of the market. What did they expect.

I can't even blame Sony for this. Both them and Nintendo (and me and several other observers for that matter) grossly misread the viable price brackets for their products. Nintendo paid for it and Sony will too.

Takao

Banned
Is that compared to the wifi or in general? Because I think as a whole it's not selling well.

Almost anything it sells surprises me though, I thought it's completely flatline.

Compared to Wi-Fi. There was reported sell-outs of the Wi-Fi models, never of the 3G ones.

Krakatoa

qw41q.jpg

If I were Sony I'd have thrown in anything possible to sweeten the deal at their end.

£5 off a digital Vita game.
2 free PSP legacy titles.
Headphones/case

Then I'd also be happy to get that, a physical game (or two cheap ones) and a memory card for £299.99.

This is happening nowhere.

V_Ben

Banned
[Nintex];34189765 said:
Sony recently announced they were going to back it with their largest ever advertising campaign in Europe.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/sony-has-biggest-campaign-ever-ready-for-vita-paunch/089480

Ah, so they're kicking things off soon with that Vita room thing. Access has their work cut out for them getting the word out. They have got Fifa for it though, and if there's one thing the general public love most, it's fifa. Perhaps that will help get word of mouth up.

apana

I liked the clamshell form factor of the Sony P Tablet better than the Vita design. It looks a bit too "gamey" to carry around in public. They should have also taken my advice and put a vitality sensor in there.

sony-S2-tablet-2840_440x330.jpg

Here are some more pics:

sony-S2-tablet-2853_440x330.jpg

Sony-Tablet-P-03.jpg

They should have just swallowed their pride and made the Sony DS.

Foffy

Banned
Ys IVr was basically cobfirmed by Falcom's president in that Gamasutra interview.

That's one, but I'm not sure if I can handle buying another console for one game, while waiting for the other good games to come.

- Bought a Wii near launch, it was rather empty to play until Super Paper Mario/Metroid Prime 3/Super Mario Galaxy made it an amazing purchase in 2007.
- Bought a PS3 as they were discontinuing the 60 GB model, so all it had for me at that time was Ninja Gaiden Sigma. Uncharted came a few months later, but it wasn't until 2008 that I felt that I got a system worth owning.
- Bought a 3DS the day after launch, with the first notable game for the system coming out almost three months later, which was a remake of an N64 game. It wasn't until Super Mario 3D Land that I felt my purchase was worth it.

How long will it take for Ys IV to come out outside of Japan? That's the thing. 3-5 games is going to be my number of games released before I buy a system now. How likely will it be that Namco gives us the ToI remake? Their record for portable releases seems to favor ports, not remakes or totally new games. Surely there will be a Final Fantasy game for Vita at some point too, but they've been slow as shit at releasing those on PSP, and especially on HD consoles. Am I to wait 3 or so years after the system launches before such a game hits like it was with Crisis Core for PSP?

The Wii U may also be a system I may not get at launch, unless Nintendo fucking kills it with a launch lineup. If Nintendo took anything from the 3DS sinking ship, it's that hardware is moved by software.

I haven't seen shit anywhere, but I rarely switch on the TV for anything other than games. But I haven't heard anything from anybody. The general consensus I'm getting is similar to what you're saying; people just don't know about it.

If it wasn't for GAF, I wouldn't have known the device is coming out next month. It'd be different if we were talking about a game...but we're talking about a new PLATFORM that should make it to 2020 (or close to it). Where is the marketing?

To that end, I need to cancel my Amazon pre-order. Just gonna wait and see this time.

Amory

I've had a vita on reserve from the very first day they were available and I'm still trying to ignore all the doom and gloom...but I'm gonna have to cancel my preorder at some point. A price cut seems inevitable

Eric C

I've paid enough attention to NPD and MC sales threads to have a pretty good sense of scale when it comes to North America and Japan. But I don't really know much about UK and Europe. How high/low is 40k units for launch in France? What's the typical range for hardware sales in France?

What did they ship in Japan 500,000???? France is only getting 40,000.

Japan has a population of 128 million
France has a population of 65 million

So France is about half of Japan... but I don't think the French videogame market is as big compared to the total population as the Japanese videogame market is.

Why is everyone taking this source at face value? Or is it just fun to put up a "rumor" tag and run with it for a thread without looking at it critically.

spwolf

3G makes so much more sense in Europe - For $22/month I can get 3G internet account with 5 sim cards and 15 GB. For $50 i can get 50 GB account (20 sims max).

Perfectly fine for my ipad, 3g stick and PSV (if I had it :p).

I am paying for account already.

DiscoJer

Sony really needs to get some high profile third party titles for the Vita.

For instance, the just announced X-com. That would be amazing on the Vita.

Same goes for Diablo 3. It's going to consoles, so why not the Vita as well?

Of course, from the publisher point of view, it perhaps doesn't make sense, why put the same game for $40 on the Vita when they sell for $60 on the other platforms. (Especially since the Vita cart costs more to manufacture than the optical media for consoles)

Maybe have them come out a few months later?

Of course instead, Sony closed one of their only mobile gaming studios, and just yesterday, announced the Walkman Z, whose main appeal is its ability to play Android games (and can be hooked up to a TV).

Top Bottom