• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3: First official glimpse

Aaron

chespace said:
Hi guys. Long time no talk. :D

I know this isn't the twitter thread, but you can get the latest updates from me here: @turn10studios.

Things are really busy here with our next big thing. Good times.
More courses like New York pls. Me and my friends have played that track so much I think it's worn a hole in the disk.

pedrothelion said:
I couldn't agree more. To me a cockpit view is unrealistic and makes driving much more difficult. Unless they decide to move the camera much closer to the windshield I don't want it. But if they do your view closer to the windshield what's the point of having the cockpit view as you won't be able to see the speedometer. I'd rather they use their resources on improving the lighting or online portion of the game.

Thirded. I never use cockpit view in any game. Same reasons.

chespace said:

I know this isn't the twitter thread, but you can get the latest updates from me here: @turn10studios.

Nice to see you posting Che, never the same without you around :D

cilonen

proposition said:
If they could do that they would have cracked the secret of driving sims. Because let's face it, GT's 'DO SEVENTY TRILLION RACES TO GET THE POINTS TO AFFORD A CAR YOU ACTUALLY WANT' is not actually any fun either.

That's why TDU was fun. They got the progression gameplay just right - plus if you ever wanted a ten minute blast in a car you couldn't afford, you just went to the dealership for a test drive - or if you needed one for one particular race you could usually rent it from one of the car rental places.

TheOddOne

Mike Andrade said:
* Halo 3 ODST in September / October. Brazilian magazines will recieve the demo soon.
* Forza 3 and much, MUCH more for Xbox 360 on E3 09.
* MS Brazil spokesperson has seen and played some of the new games but can´t say nothing about them until E3
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
HYPE 1000

chespace said:

I was just about to see what could be done to get you out of the doghouse. It's just about go-time, and it wouldn't be the same without you.

Aquanox

Hints are slowly building up a great lineup for 2009H2

Forza Motorsport 3
Alan Wake (Hinted multiple times for this year)
Halo 3 ODST (Confirmed)
Splinter Cell ConViction (Hinted in latest Ubisoft Financial Report)
Rare Game (Which is a given)

I actually expect all of those to make an appearance at E3 with a 2009 release date.

Add one more to that list and MS will have nothing to worry about in terms of exclusives.

Additionally, Mass Effect 2 and Lost Planet 2 are shaping up for a Killing 2010Q1 when Sony seems to have their hopes laid for either GT5 or God of War 3.

iam220

pedrothelion said:
I couldn't agree more. To me a cockpit view is unrealistic and makes driving much more difficult. Unless they decide to move the camera much closer to the windshield I don't want it. But if they do your view closer to the windshield what's the point of having the cockpit view as you won't be able to see the speedometer. I'd rather they use their resources on improving the lighting or online portion of the game.

Like most things, you just have to get used to it. Once you do, there is no going back.

Adjustable cockpit view ftw.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
The great thing about the cockpit view in GT5P is that they added the forza suggested line.

So you dont compromise on graphics or control over your car, it's perfect.

Fuck 360's optical drive with not enough capacity. I HATE multi-discs games.

I woudn't take graphics comments from official blog seriously. I'm sure Forza's physics engine is eating up like > 90% of 360's power. That plus, amazing graphics? Well, we will have to see it to believe it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
MirageDwarf said:
Fuck 360's optical drive with not enough capacity. I HATE multi-discs games.

I woudn't take graphics comments from official blog seriously. I'm sure Forza's physics engine is eating up like > 90% of 360's power. That plus, amazing graphics? Well, we will have to see it to believe it.
It worked for GT2 but I suppose you do have a point. This is a racer after all, not an RPG loaded with hours of FMV.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
At this point I think it's GT that needs to worry about competing with Forza. Forza 2 really raised the bar, and it looks like turn 10 will have 2 full games out this gen before Sony gets 1 GT out the door...

Considering how well GT5P sold, I don't know about that.

How will 2 discs work? 1 for SP and 1 for MP?

proposition said:
If they could do that they would have cracked the secret of driving sims. Because let's face it, GT's 'DO SEVENTY TRILLION RACES TO GET THE POINTS TO AFFORD A CAR YOU ACTUALLY WANT' is not actually any fun either.
GT has hundreds of cars to choose from...if you look at it from a car/tuner fan perspective (GT's core audience) they might be happy with simply just getting the 'everyday' cars they have (or driven) in real life...minimal work to earn, tinker with, and simply take out for hot laps. But if they also want to get the more beastly machines in their garage as well then they'll have to work at it (GT's 'Car-PG' aspect, for better or for worse =P).

Unless, for example, all you wanted is just the F1 car, then I suggest just sticking to the F1 racing sims and get your fix there right out of the box =)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I think this news signals MSFT's new move to relocate their headquarters to Brazil. You hear it here first folks!

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Aquanox said:
Hints are slowly building up a great lineup for 2009H2

Forza Motorsport 2
Alan Wake (Hinted multiple times for this year)
Halo 3 ODST (Confirmed)
Splinter Cell ConViction (Hinted in latest Ubisoft Financial Report)
Rare Game (Which is a given)

I actually expect all of those to make an appearance at E3 with a 2009 release date.

Add one more to that list and MS will have nothing to worry about in terms of exclusives.

Additionally, Mass Effect 2 and Lost Planet 2 are shaping up for a Killing 2010Q1 when Sony seems to have their hopes laid for either GT5 or God of War 3.
Releasing all of those in 2009 is a sales suicide.

Forza 3 in Q2 2010, please.

Blame!

i love playing in cockpit view when it's available because I generally love all games/movies/books, etc. that remain in a consistent POV, but most of the time, i feel like I'm just abusing myself and purposefully making the game harder to win.

take one of my favorite racing games from 2007.... DIRT. Driving with the hood view was SO much easier than driving within the cockpit, I could actually finish stages within the top positions without major incident. In cockpit view, you almost want to take another crash just to get rid of the spiderwebbed windshield.

Cockpit view is eyecandy but not the most practical way to drive fast in a video game.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Cockpit view is very expensive and time consuming to create for huge asset-heavy games like GT and FM. Does the investment pay off if only a small number of your player base use it when they play?

I'm curious how many people drive in cockpit view exclusively in GT?

Aquanox

cjelly said:

Why? Remember the year of Halo 3, Mass Effect and Bioshock.

I'd say:

Halo 3 ODST - September
Forza Motorsport 3 - October
Alan Wake - November
Rare Game - Nov or Dec
Splinter Cell ConViction - December

iam220

chespace said:
Cockpit view is very expensive and time consuming to create for huge asset-heavy games like GT and FM. Does the investment pay off if only a small number of your player base use it when they play?

Does the investment pay off? I don't know, I'm not a business major .. probably not?

I drive exclusively cockpit view in all my sims.

Rad Agast

Brandon F said:
Collectors Edition will have 9 discs!

I don't care, will still buy for a high price day one.

Joking aside, I'm expecting MS to show off this game at E3 this year so they better deliver. Forza 2 is my favorite racer this gen followed closely by PGR4.

Pug

chespace said:

I used the cockpit view in PGR4, a few times. Bonnet view for me. However you know whats going to happen don't you if you don't cover the cockpit view!!

chespace said:

Oh teh noes! No in-car view for FM3 am confirmed :O... hehe jk... when i play race pro or PGR3/PGR4 i ALWAYS use in-car view, it just adds more fun to it when i'm using the in-car view... I only go out of the in-car view when watching the replays... For FM2 though, I use the hood view.

Oh and we needs more info's che!!!

Aquanox

chespace said:

Nice to see you around. You guys have my admiration for creating the most solid racing game around, beating big ones since the first Forza.

Probably, what most people is wondering is how would car models and lightning in Forza 3 look compared to those in GT5... because honestly that's the only aspect that keeps Forza from being the absolute best.

Aquanox said:
Why? Remember the year of Halo 3, Mass Effect and Bioshock.

I'd say:

Halo 3 ODST - September
Forza Motorsport 2 - October
Alan Wake - November
Rare Game - Nov or Dec
Splinter Cell ConViction - December

Forza 2 re release confirmed.

EDIT: I thought about something

It's been rumored that GT5 will come out this Holiday right? It's also rumored that Forza 3 will come out this Holiday. Well, let's ignore system warz bullshit for a second now and not debate game quality, but debate game sales. GT is undoubtedly a bigger franchise than Forza, with a bigger fanbase. I don't see any reason why MS would want to put Forza 3 head to head against GT5, IMO, this would be similar to Sony putting Killzone 3 head to head with Halo 4.

Mike Andrade said:
* Halo 3 ODST in September / October. Brazilian magazines will recieve the demo soon.
* Forza 3 and much, MUCH more for Xbox 360 on E3 09.
* MS Brazil spokesperson has seen and played some of the new games but can´t say nothing about them until E3

oh *fap* Is that a promise!!??

J-Rzez

chespace said:

It's a novelty at best for me after playing around with it for a while. Why? Because you can't properly convey "feel" to make adjustments in your driving opposed to the more obvious visual signals. At least, that's how it is for me.

Don't get me wrong, I adore the "look" of being able to sit in and drive nearly every car imaginable, but it doesn't suit time attacks too well in these sims.

iam220 said:
Like most things, you just have to get used to it. Once you do, there is no going back.

Adjustable cockpit view ftw.
I can't stand cockpit view... I do like using bonnet / windscreen view though. Basically the part you concentrate on seeing when you're actually driving rather than the bits you glance at.

Cockpit view will be great when we have proper motion tracking display headsets though. :D

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
cjelly said:

That's 5 games..from 2 different publishers.

For reference, Microsoft alone released 8 games in the second half of last year, of about 10 or 11 exclusives (and that perhaps wasn't even considered to be their strongest year). So I'd expect more games to be added to their roster by E3 for sure.

Ranger X

chespace said:

I drive in cockpit view exclusively in any game that offers it. I'm pulling off way better times generally speaking because I can feel my car much more accurately than in chase view.
I'm surprised at cockpit view complaining like it was more accurate or something to drive in chase...
It would be cool if the cockpit views would have an ajustable seat (a zoom option) but it's better to have a cockpit view than not have. I'd even take less cars and tracks for cockpit view because it simply offer a level immersion that no chase view can. Of course if you were develloping the new Outrun game I wouldn't give a damn but since Forza3 should be on the sim side...

Oh and Prologue cockpit view is quite godly. OBSERVE IT. Best i've seen in any game, any platform, ever. The movement is awesome, the lighting, the view, everything. The only way I see it better would be to have "picture in picture" mirror that I could place myself on the left and right and also zoom so they are actually useful and that I would use them.

TheKurgan

chespace said:

Cockpit view is a cool feature but probably not worth the investment if it takes away from other aspects of the game. In GT5:p I probably only use cockpit view 30% of the time and only after I have figured out the line of the track pretty will. I find the view more immersive but the dash etc. obstruct a significant amount of the screen making it harder to pick out corners and judge braking in turns until you have learned the ins and outs of a particular track. Hood and behind the car views are much more forgiving in that respect.

If I was allocating the budget on Forza 3 it would be gameplay > # of tracks > # of cars > tuning > damage > cockpit view. I will buy it regardless.

Ranger X said:
Oh and Prologue cockpit view is quite godly. OBSERVE IT. Best i've seen in any game, any platform, ever. The movement is awesome, the lighting, the view, everything.

Agreed 100%. I use cockpit view 90% of the time in prologue, it really is the best i've ever seen in a driving game.

Aquanox

AranhaHunter said:
Forza 2 re release confirmed.

EDIT: I thought about something

It's been rumored that GT5 will come out this Holiday right? It's also rumored that Forza 3 will come out this Holiday. Well, let's ignore system warz bullshit for a second now and not debate game quality, but debate game sales. GT is undoubtedly a bigger franchise than Forza, with a bigger fanbase. I don't see any reason why MS would want to put Forza 3 head to head against GT5, IMO, this would be similar to Sony putting Killzone 3 head to head with Halo 4.

I highly doubt GT5 will make it for 2009.

Sony is usually leaving their most promising titles (sales wise) for early in the year (See Killzone 2, MGS4) and in order to compete with Forza, GT5 would need to have a worldwide release in addition to be ready for this year.

Last but not least, GT might be a "bigger" franchise commercially, but both Forza 1 and 2 have managed to outperform GT4 in terms of reviews, which is always a healthy sign.

Ranger X

pedrothelion said:

You wanted to play TOCA 3, the best sim racer of last gen. (consoles)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xplWopMOYd0&feature=related

But nobody cared and probably you didn't either.

J-Rzez

mood said:
bumper-cam is a lot better than cockpit view

While I don't like cockpit view as much as a chase cam, bumper cam is easily the worst view in racing games IMHO. It doesn't realistically represent anything, and just limits your field and range of view more than anything.

Last but not least, GT might be a "bigger" franchise commercially, but both Forza 1 and 2 have managed to outperform GT4 in terms of reviews, which is always a healthy sign.

Reviewers are the least of people to be the "authority" on racing titles, and be given as a "healthy sign". Fact is, F2 had a great driving model, only lacking in the lower speed weight transfer feeling while in corners compared to GT5:p. I'm sure they worked on that though to fix that. The older reviews were during the "zomg online" days for F1 which obviously outclasses GT4, and that F2 is totally irrelevant to GT4 which is a PS2 game.

Where F3 will shine is in Online modes. I'm sure it'll outclass GT5 in nearly every regard.

But unfortunately for you, Polyphony probably wasn't sitting around doing nothing for all this time that they've been quiet.

Regardless, will be an exciting E3 ahead for racer fans. Hell, this E3 in general is going to be epic quality overall I believe. SO many good titles are expected/known to be there.

Haunted

chespace said:

Exclusively? Probably not that many. Does it add to the experience, make for an awesome bullet point on the back of the box and is a selling point for those who do want to fully immerse themselves into driving a racing car? Most definitely.

Anyway, I'm taking your subdued approach to this as a hint that we shouldn't expect cockpit views in Forza 3.

Shame. Love them in GRID and Prologue.

J-Rzez said:
While I don't like cockpit view as much as a chase cam, bumper cam is easily the worst view in racing games IMHO. It doesn't realistically represent anything, and just limits your field and range of view more than anything.
J-Rzez old bugger, we might not see eye to eye on a lot of things, but I couldn't have said it better myself.

Far chase cam for efficiency - cockpit view for immersion and the adrenaline rush - bumper/hood cam for fuck you this is the worst view ever.

Ranger X

Haunted said:
Exclusively? Probably not that many. Does it add to the experience, make for an awesome bullet point on the back of the box and is a selling point for those who do want to fully immerse themselves into driving a racing car? Most definitely.

Anyway, I'm taking your subdued approach to this as a hint that we shouldn't expect cockpit views in Forza 3.

Shame.

Shall we repeat this bolded for the 3 next pages?
If they don't want to put cockpit views don't even mention EVER in any PR for the game that it's anything else than an arcade racer please. Just to make sure I would never have any hype.

:p

chespace said:

I like it, not completely important to me but in GRID I use it nearly all the time where as in PGR I do much better with a bumper cam or from behind. in Forza 2 I used both bumper and bonnet, bumper mostly and when a bonnet cam had no bonnet in view.

Just to give you some feedback :p

F355 hybrid of bonnet and cockpit is still one of my faves and ps3 supercar challenge has it which is rather nice.

Aquanox said:
I highly doubt GT5 will make it for 2009.

Sony is usually leaving their most promising titles (sales wise) for early in the year (See Killzone 2, MGS4) and in order to compete with Forza, GT5 would need to have a worldwide release in addition to be ready for this year.

GT4 is underrated and under appreciated IMO, but let's not talk game quality as that is subjective and will lead nowhere. You might be right and it might not make 2009, it depends on how you read amar's post, I read it Holiday this year, but yeah it can be March next year. He also suggested a WW release.

But if it does come out this year though I think MS would be better off delaying Forza 3, I don't think any racing sim is as popular as GT and going head to head against it is just a lost cause IMO. And I'm sorry but I don't agree with the "in order to compete with Forza", a goddamn prologue sold over 3 million units worldwide, not counting downloads

Haunted said:
Far chase cam for efficiency - cockpit view for immersion and the adrenaline rush - bumper/hood cam for fuck you this is the worst view ever.
I can understand your dislike of bumper cam... but hood (bonnet damn you!) / windscreen? If placed right it's pretty much exactly what your non-peripheral vision would pick up as normal when you're driving.

I saw a great diagram explaining this once... can't seem to find it though.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Haunted said:

Shame. Love them in GRID and Prologue.

What's a Forza?

Haunted

Psychotext said:
I can understand your dislike of bumper cam... but hood (bonnet damn you!) / windscreen? If placed right it's pretty much exactly what your non-peripheral vision would pick up as normal when you're driving.

I saw a great diagram explaining this once... can't seem to find it though.
Yeah, I was mostly talking about bumper. Hood Bonnet seems like a good compromise at first (at least your face isn't hugging the dirt!) but after switching to cockpit view just once, I never want to return.

It doesn't match the immersion of the cockpit view. It doesn't match the overview and efficiency of the chase cam. It might not be physically painful to play it like the bumper cam is, but it's simply inferior to the alternatives.

edit: I'm interested in that diagram

edit²: that Race Driver 3 view someone posted earlier, now that could be an acceptable alternative to a fully modelled cockpit. Inside the car, with a touch of the dashboard visible but not too much space obstructed. I'm a sucker for fully modelled cockpits that put you behind the steering wheel, but I guess I'd accept that as a compromise. iirc you could move your head around in there as well (or am I confusing that with Grid?)

chespace said:
What's a Forza?
che switched studios confirmed

Top Bottom