• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

mckmas8808

Banned
2cdz4sl.jpg

339uakx.jpg

14aew05.jpg

35n4tbr.jpg

2le6maw.jpg

2iazds8.jpg

s5yblx.jpg

mv484o.jpg

11lt282.jpg

2ikw3kz.jpg

Again it doesn't look much different at all. This looks great for the game.

Chrange

Banned
Finally, we discuss the deformation and damage in Gran Turismo 5, a burning issue. Gran Turismo has always been known to seek perfection in all aspects; the visuals, the driving experience, and so on. Can we also expect perfection in accidents and consequent damage to vehicles? Banish all doubt.

I'll only say one thing. Our team of engineers did not want to do something that has already been seen in other games. No. I wanted something completely different and new.

Yes, expect perfection.

Where are the people who were so bitterly complaining about "definitive" now? :lol

Insertia

I really look forward to what Polyphony does with damage. So far Dirt 2 and Shift have the best damage modeling I've seen; but it still feels pre fab. I'd like to see Polyphony live up to their ideal to take damage to a new level. Something all future racers will have to meet.

Truespeed

Chrange said:
Where are the people who were so bitterly complaining about "definitive" now? :lol

When GT5 comes out in March 2010, then we can talk. Right now, there's a game shipping in October that's very definitive in a number of fronts.

Thrakier

So, I just played the Forza 3 Demo. It seems like a very competent racer. Very smooth, good handling, nice collisions, good KI it seems. Nice.

However, regarding the graphics imo this game isn't even close to GT5:prologue. I mean seriously, I only saw the screenshots before and the ingame graphics definitly look worse. The Aliasing is very visible, the car detail seems to be good, but not in the league of GT5. The Cockpit view and the graphics in the cockpit (also regarding to the lighting) is behind GT5:p by a mile, imo. The game doesn't look great at all from the cockpit view. It may have more complex surroundings...but I don't know, something just looks off. GT5 in comparison still looks like a game of course, but everything is so realistic in comparison to Forza...

Really, if you compare the bullshots the games seem to be close but if you see them running side by side especially in the cockpit view, GT5:p looks a lot better. And that's only Prologue...

Thrakier

Always-honest said:
aliassing is in both. without the jaggies the games would look like the images above.
but they don't.

Aliasing is in both, of course. But in Forza 3 it's more visible. That's not to say GT5 looks clean ebcause it doesn't. But overall it looks more detailed and realistic. And in the cockpit view the difference is huge, imo.

mujun

Thrakier said:
GT5 in comparison still looks like a game of course, but everything is so realistic in comparison to Forza...

The evidence points to GT5 looking a considerable degree better than Forza 3. Still I think GT5 doesn't look so much realistic as it does sterile. I personally prefer the stylized look of Forza 3.

Zaptruder

Banned
You know which game has the best windscreen effects? Need For Speed Shift.

In the cockpit view, you can actually see the insides of the car subtly reflecting off the windscreen. Actually gives you the sense you're looking through glass.

Where as GT5, slightly tints the windscreen... and Forza 3 doesn't seem to give a hoot!

Thrakier said:
Aliasing is in both, of course. But in Forza 3 it's more visible. That's not to say GT5 looks clean ebcause it doesn't. But overall it looks more detailed and realistic. And in the cockpit view the difference is huge, imo.

it's pretty visible in both. crawling seemlines.. yuck.
but sitting further alway helps....... can't stand to see those dancing fuckers in these realsitic looking games.. they seem more noticable the more realistic games get.

as for Forza3 vs GT5 (prologue)... some differences are there... but both are equally enjoyable (or equally boring).

Zaptruder said:
You know which game has the best windscreen effects? Need For Speed Shift.

In the cockpit view, you can actually see the insides of the car subtly reflecting off the windscreen. Actually gives you the sense you're looking through glass.

Where as GT5, slightly tints the windscreen... and Forza 3 doesn't seem to give a hoot!

In Shift it makes visibility harder though, though the insane blurring effects don't help either. I actually prefer having no windscreen effects to Shifts.

Thrakier

mujun said:
The evidence points to GT5 looking a considerable degree better than Forza 3. Still I think GT5 doesn't look so much realistic as it does sterile. I personally prefer the stylized look of Forza 3.

So sterile is the new word for realistic now?

Zaptruder

Banned
TheHeretic said:
In Shift it makes visibility harder though, though the insane blurring effects don't help either. I actually prefer having no windscreen effects to Shifts.

My thinking is, if they're going to go to the trouble of adding cockpit view, they might as well do it properly and have every element in there.

It's not like windscreens aren't reflective IRL.

nib95

Banned
Hanmik said:
I just went to the danish gaming site Gamereactor.. they have a new comparison up and running.. so here we go.. its Forza2 vs. Forza 3.

107kgur.jpg

2rdi7vb.jpg

142r4mv.jpg

f5mz7.jpg

I am really surprised by these comparisons. Is it possible Turn 10 just didn't out the same effort with certain cars or tracks? or is this just the LOD thing coming back in to play?

By the looks of things, the visuals remain relatively similar.

mujun said:

i can understand how someone might think realistic = boring/sterile but judging from the way people have reacted to GT5/p screens over these years waiting for the game i think it's fair to say there is enough going on to get people salivating.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hmm, those comparisionpictures look suspicious, are they actually real?

nib95 said:
I am really surprised by these comparisons. Is it possible Turn 10 just didn't out the same effort with certain cars or tracks? or is this just the LOD thing coming back in to play?

If it's the player car, wouldn't it be the highest LOD model all the time? I thought only the other cars on the track changed LOD.

mujun said:

stylized? wtf are you on about? It's not like it's Auto Modelista here. Forza and GT both are aiming for the realistic style.

MrJollyLivesNextDoor said:
i can understand how someone might think realistic = boring/sterile but judging from the way people have reacted to GT5/p screens over these years waiting for the game i think it's fair to say there is enough going on to get people salivating.

I dont really care for sterility of Suzuka or Fuji Speedway, but anyone claiming that Prologue's London track is boring and sterile has utterly appalling taste.

eso76

to be honest i think i see a few differences in the photomode pics and replay screen caps above, in regards to the model itself. For example, first thing i noticed is the air intake on the front bumper looks less smooth and rounded. Might be the picture's fault, though, and in any case the difference would be absolutely neglectable.

Also, i was playing gt5p in the morning and what's with everyone praising cockpits in comparison to fm 's ones ? both have good and bad ones, i was driving a C4 (i aways do) and the dashboards looked very low poly and rather ugly, in fact. Comparing the best in one game with the worst in the other can work for threads like this and people who will never own both games, but it doesn't mean much.

Also, it's definitely possible that there's a difference in cars and tracks in fm3. A lot of stuff returning from fm2 (incidentally, the only stuff we can compare directly) was just polished and re-used for fm3 (still, lighting an iq look much better) but people claiming fm3 looked like a generational leap over 2 were mostly talking about the very first trailer released at E3, which uses exactly the same assets you see ingame and is 100% faithful to ingame graphics

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
nib95 said:

That comparison is pretty bogus. Forza 2 didn't look anything like that. Forza 2 had 100x the jaggies as that shot. Forza 3 doesn't look like that. It has less jaggies than the shot.

mujun

Thrakier said:
So sterile is the new word for realistic now?

Sorry I forgot that I'm not allowed to have an opinion and your opinion is fact. You said it looks realistic, I personally think that in comparison to Forza it looks sterile. Like a PC sim or something. It might be something to do with the backgrounds or possibly the lighting, I don't know.

What I do know is, and this is my opinion remember, Forza looks nmore appealing to me despite the fact I can see that GT looks graphically superior by a fair margin.

I won't even bother clarifying myself to you Akachan, you've well and truly lived up to your name in this thread and shown yourself to be quite the console warrior in this thread if you ask me.

mujun said:
I won't even bother clarifying myself to you Akachan, you've well and truly lived up to your name in this thread and shown yourself to be quite the console warrior in this thread if you ask me.

Yeah, I'm sure not having a reasonable answer has nothing to do with your refusal to reply.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
nib95 said:

looks like they didnt get the loving and attention the new tracks did from the engine. disappointing to say the least, but not unexpected (weve seen glimpses of these already).

Firewire

Banned
mujun said:
Sorry I forgot that I'm not allowed to have an opinion and your opinion is fact. You said it looks realistic, I personally think that in comparison to Forza it looks sterile. Like a PC sim or something. It might be something to do with the backgrounds or possibly the lighting, I don't know.

What I do know is, and this is my opinion remember, Forza looks nmore appealing to me despite the fact I can see that GT looks graphically superior by a fair margin.

So GT and PC sims look sterile or lifeless to you, but I'm assuming that because Forza isn't exactly on par with GT or PC sims graphically it looks more alive or more realistic?

The car models in their actual state already look near perfect. All they need to do for the next gen GT is increase resolution and AA as much as possible. City tracks also look wonderful, but I suppose the more natural tracks need some work. But GT6 won't take nearly as long to make as GT5, whether it be on ps3 or ps4.

nib95 said:

I am really surprised people aren't just playing FM3 and FM2 on their machines to see the clear visual differences completely absent in these screenshots.

Firewire

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
I am really surprised people aren't just playing FM3 and FM2 on their machines to see the clear visual differences completely absent in these screenshots.

Well they must have played FM2 & FM3 and thought it was worthy to take the shots.

DeadGzuz

Banned
RSTEIN said:
That comparison is pretty bogus. Forza 2 didn't look anything like that. Forza 2 had 100x the jaggies as that shot. Forza 3 doesn't look like that. It has less jaggies than the shot.

So they wrote their own engine to fake the shots? LOL.

eso76

BenjaminBirdie said:

iq is a lot better, but mostly due to the fact they got rid of those extra bright reflections.
In motion the game looks a lot better than fm2, but to be honest i don't expect returning cars and tracks to have received a complete overhaul, that's why any direct comparison with fm2 won't show a huge difference, but those who have played the demo know better.

As for GT6 on ps4, well, assets are basically perfect as they are now, there's still room for improvements in shaders and textures dept, but i wouldn't know where to stuff one more polygon in most of those models.
I would guess all cars will have an interactive 'showroom mode' where you can open doors, hood and stuff. I can just see PD going there. I can just see them modeling engines, undercarriages etc.

I can also see them including a 'one car on track - raytraced mode' for you to unlock : P

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Doc Evils said:
PD includes full working air brakes in their games, even GT PSP has it.

That's fucking awesome, I never thought they'd include that. So rarely seen on Enzo in-game models, i think that's a first. Does anyone know if any Forza 3 cars have that? Not trying to troll I just want to know. Will be picking up Forza 3 because I only own a 360.

EDIT: Is there any footage on the enzo in GT5?

Goldrusher

Nope, but there's probably some PSP footage on YouTube though.

Other cars with "moving parts" have the correct animations too. The Mclaren SLR has a similar spoiler, the Veyron has one, which also functions as an airbrake (the wing switches to an almost vertical position and acts like the parachutes on dragsters).

Doc Evils said:
PD includes full working air brakes in their games, even GT PSP has it.
It's not an airbrake, but a spoiler for downforce. Comes up at ~120kph, goes back down at ~220kph.

Top Bottom