• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

test_account

XP-39C²
TheOddOne said:
Maybe he misunderstood the quote on this site:

http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/underthehood2

"If we cut down on the number of cars on track, used original Xbox-generation car models, dropped to 30 FPS, or (and this would be the most effective solution) built specific tracks from the ground-up to have less detail and thus extra performance headroom, then night racing and/or weather conditions may have been possible. Some of those trade-offs, we just were not willing to do. Others would require time that we used to develop other features in the gamespecifically, the new graphical look of the game in general. Night and weather are features we will continue to evaluate as the franchise continues. We're waiting for the right time to deliver these features to our fans."

It doesnt say that night racing in Forza 4 is possible, but that it is possible that it will be included in the next Forza games.

iceatcs

I don't think there are possibles to have a weather and day/night in next 360 Forza at all.

Next gen Forza high likely, otherwise it won't be sequel to me.

Yoritomo

Ty4on said:
They removed cars in GT3 and it was the best selling and is currently considered the best by many fans. The low number of cars also made it possible to release it in 2001 when the PS2 was still new.

I still don't understand this.

The game was clearly broken and didn't even have a unified handling model.

statham

iceatcs said:
I don't think there are possibles to have a weather and day/night in next 360 Forza at all.

Next gen Forza high likely, otherwise it won't be sequel to me.
entertain me, why is that?

test_account

XP-39C²
statham said:
Based on that Forza 4 quote i posted above here, i agree with it. The quote says that they have to make so many sacrifices to include night racing and/or weather effects, so i dont think that this will happen. I'm pretty sure that they push the Xbox 360 hardware as much as possible, so i dont think that they can find that much extra hardware power through optimization to do all that. But i dont think that there will be more more Forza games for the Xbox 360. Console is getting old, so Forza 5 will probably be on the next Xbox console insteed.

iceatcs

statham said:
Clearly they have very very large team in Turn 10 and ton of outsourced (3x than PD), so where is weather or even simple wet road?
They could have done that but something holding it. I think due of the hardware limitation and they have to keep 60fps standard.

Or you mean sequel thing? Obliviously we want more features, not just more things.
Only more cars and tracks is expansive pack to me.

Oh by the way. I'm really missing classic expansive pack. Fuck DLC.

Yoritomo

Either game is quite enough for a casual racing fan to fulfill their quota for sim racing car collector. Forza is a good enough game that a casual fan has no reason to buy a PS3 anymore just to play GT5 and vice versa.

Xun

iceatcs said:
Clearly they have very very large team in Turn 10 and ton of outsourced (3x than PD), so where is weather or even simple wet road?

They could have done that but something holding it. I think it due of the hardware limitation and they have to keep 60fps standard.
It could very well be a hardware limitation but I'm thinking it's related more to Turn 10 wishing to put their focus elsewhere. Even if it were in the game it would probably look as bad as it does on GT5.

The lack of night races is a huge shame though since it shouldn't be too taxing to run.

statham

Xun said:
It could very well be a hardware limitation but I'm thinking it's related more to Turn 10 wishing to put their focus elsewhere. Even if it were in the game it would probably look as bad as it does on GT5.

The lack of night races is a huge shame though since it shouldn't be too taxing to run.
imagine if night/rain racing was in, score 95/97 would happen

iceatcs

Yoritomo said:
Weather is probably more that they didn't have accurate data for the tires in wet conditions.
I don't think they need to recording anything physic much for the tires.

You do the maths that's it.

iceatcs

Yoritomo said:
My understanding is that Forza uses an empirical model, meaning they need the data.
LOL! I don't think they do that every cars.

Wet road is easy to made, because not all the real life wet road behave same. All you have to write a code to change the tire slip ratio, and amount of how slippery road is.

Take flight mafucka
1Za3N.jpg

Satchel

Banned
Is that GT5 video for real? Can't be can it?

My issue with the bullshots from both games, is that neither is representative of what the game looks like when you're actually playing it.

After playing both, it's pretty hard to split them graphically. From a physics standpoint, I can't say, I'm not expert and I normally HATE racing sims because they actually feel too unrealistic to me. Go figure.

I did enjoy Forza 4 a LOT with all the assists on though. Even the wife had a crack when she saw it and enjoyed, which must say something. She even stayed on the road!

But graphically, if I HAD to say which one looked nicer, I'd probably give the nod to Forza 4....JUST. By a bee's dick. But I guess that's the advantage of coming out almost a year later.

Gek54

amar212 said:
Because they though nobody would really notice and there will be no real fuss if anyone notice it.

And I am 100% certain they knew that both linearity-buffer and overall rear-axle buffer are built in the physics, as well as I'm 90% certain they will not update it to full-no-assist model or allow us to have full 900-degree 1:1 steering.

Time will tell, but I don't not buy "it is a bug" explanation.

1) they said they are aware how many serious players were disappointed with steering-buffer assist in FM3

2) they announce new Simulation mode that will have no assists

3) they go into serious partnership with very serious company - and Fanatec is VERY serious about their business, trust me - in order to allow players of their game to experience it properly

4) Somebody just HAD TO DO some testing for God's sake and I really hope that serious players were doing those testings

5) they release the demo, assist is there, people who have green codes and 900 wheels also confirms how assists is on the final code too

6) first they arrogantly deny the assist

7) than, they blame Fanatec (I was beyond words when they said it it Fanatec's fault)

7a) I guess Thomas was not happy how they've blamed him

8) Then they finally acknowledge but say it is a bug.

It is not a bug. Bug is when you have something in the code that is small and annoying and doing some crazy stuff.

This is a deliberate built-in mechanism that prevents you from loosing the grip on rear-axle almost completely when lateral movement becomes loose and that creates a crazy non-linear buffer in 900 mode. It is not a bug. And I personally think it will never be fully fixed too.

God I hope they fix it and the deadzone.

Its hard to believe that the GT series has has been on the ball with 900 degree force feedback support with linear unassisted steering since 2003 and the Forza series is still seemingly oblivious with their attempts at making a simulation experience.

After spending all my wheel time with the FM4 demo since it released, now jumping back into GT5, it really is night and day as far as wheel support goes. No horrible deadzone and no ridiculous steering aid just makes for a much more connected and immerse feeling when driving. A real driving enthusiast's game.

Top Bottom