• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Dat Forza lighting where shadows are pure black and Global Illumination does not exist. Better crank up the white value to compensate.

I didn't crank up any values in those screenshots. 100% default settings and perhaps you should go outside, look at a real car from a moderate distance and see how much detail you can see underneath/behind grills etc.

Gestault

Dat Forza lighting where shadows are pure black and Global Illumination does not exist. Better crank up the white value to compensate.

This is a copy of a copy of a copy, so some compression is starting to sneak in, but you can easily see all the color data is there when you adjust the levels. You're claiming the black values drop out so harshly that you lose image data, but you probably just have bad color settings on your display. The highlighting/color data in the original of this image is beautiful, you can even check out the histogram to confirm it. Either your displays are bad, or you have a bad eye for assessing these things. That statement is unassailable, and your claim is demonstrably inaccurate.

bIJ3Ygj.jpg

If you want something to make fun of, make fun of the guy's bear-claw that he's holding up.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
This is a copy of a copy of a copy, so some compression is starting to sneak in, but you can easily see all the color data is there when you adjust the levels. You're claiming the black values drop out so harshly that you lose image data, but you probably just have bad color settings on your display. The highlighting/color data in the original of this image is beautiful, you can even check out the histogram to confirm it. Either your displays are bad, or you have a bad eye for assessing these things. That statement is unassailable, and your claim is demonstrably inaccurate.

If you want something to make fun of, make fun of the guy's bear-claw that he's holding up.

Some compression? :p

Too bad I'm capped else I would have done them as bigshots but I don't want to be uploading and downloading for the next few hours.

And that bearclaw, biggest hate I have for Forza. Fix that damn driver model T10!

*images in question for new page*

adelante

Yep...the one thing I don't like about Forza's headlights is the lack of any light refraction shader; in its place a simple translucent glass texture with the bulb showing through more clearly than it should imho.

Yes, all those terribly and unrealistically High Contrast Forza photos. Those ones where the whole car is hidden. Certainly not in daylight. Just awful, right? (To be clear, I'm not saying GT5 isn't gorgeous. I've posted GT5 highlight galleries in here too.)
Niiiceee... some of those shots are well-taken

I don't get the high contrast argument, none of my shots are contrast heavy and neither are any of the better looking ones out there.

Exposure is the real value that needs to be adjusted, but people seem to neglect it and overcompensate by making everything darker.

Some of the shots in that album are easily on par with GT5's best. All about finding the right settings amongst Forza's lighting system.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Yep...the one thing I don't like about Forza's headlights is the lack of any light refraction shader; in its place a simple translucent glass texture with the bulb showing through more clearly than it should imho.

Agreed. Some cars are better (XB GT for example) but it's an area that could use some real improvements. What makes it worse is the headlights are like the "eyes" of the car so they draw a lot of attention.

shinnn

They break though. Don't melt like in GT5.

Gestault

Wow! Impressive collection of photos you've shared so far... are any them available in higher res??

Sadly no, unless some of the originals were stored elsewhere. The big-shot (8.0 MP version) servers get cleared out basically with the next batch of photos :(

It really doesn't.

When compared to actual reality, both games miss the mark.

Ofcourse they miss the mark, thats why reality is reality and games are games. Since this is a 'vs' thread however we have to take it in the context that one looks closer to reality than the other, getting an equivalent Forza 4 shot will be helpful in determining which looks closer to reality. Until then that GT5 shot looks close to reality, most GT5 (premium car) pics that i show to my family member have them fooled, same cannot be said of Forza 4 (even though FM4 pictures look amazing). It's all down to the more natural look that GT5 has thanks to lighting.

EDIT: btw that picture is not even the best GT5/Real life pictures around.

adelante

Ofcourse they miss the mark, thats why reality is reality and games are games. Since this is a 'vs' thread however we have to take it in the context that one looks closer to reality than the other, getting an equivalent Forza 4 shot will be helpful in determining which looks closer to reality. Until then that GT5 shot looks close to reality, most GT5 (premium car) pics that i show to my family member have them fooled, same cannot be said of Forza 4 (even though FM4 pictures look amazing). It's all down to the more natural look that GT5 has thanks to lighting.

No shit. His comment is still valid tho. Relative to that real photo, you can easily pick out the flaws that contribute to its "gamey" quality.

Doesn't take away the fact that it's far easier to take photorealistic shots in GT5 of course :)

No shit. His comment is still valid tho. Relative to that real photo, you can easily pick out the flaws that contribute to its "gamey" quality.

Doesn't take away the fact that it's far easier to take photorealistic shots in GT5 of course :)

I completely agree with what he said, but like i said this a 'vs' thread so we have to see which one of the two games looks closest to reality. in other to do that we need a good photographer who owns both games, we might show them a picture and task them with recreating that picture in both games. After all said and done fans in this thread will vote in which one looks closest to the suggested real life picture. Unfortunately i don't think that will happen though.

adelante

I completely agree with what he said, but like i said this a 'vs' thread so we have to see which one of the two games looks closest to reality. in other to do that we need a good photographer who owns both games, we might show them a picture and task them with recreating that picture in both games. After all said and done fans in this thread will vote in which one looks closest to the suggested real life picture. Unfortunately i don't think that will happen though.

That's cos we don't need such a comparison when it's already been stated several times that even Forza players acknowledge GT5's superior photorealistic qualities. The only aspect where Forza is not falling behind is that it's pretty consistent across the board.

That's cos we don't need such a comparison when it's already been stated several times that even Forza players acknowledge GT5's superior photorealistic qualities. The only aspect where Forza is not falling behind is that it's pretty consistent across the board.

Yet the thread continues, i wonder why.

adelante

Yet the thread continues, i wonder why.

Lol you this thread keeps getting updated because Forza players have been straight up claiming the best from their preferred racer looks better the best GT5 can offer? Did you actually think this thread was created so we could all come to a definitive conclusion as to which is a better game? C'mon...tsk

If there is any Forza guy who thinks that GT5's best side doesn't look better than FM4's best side, please speak up now.

. . .

Now, how important is consistency to everyone?

this is how it goes

*photorealistic GT5 shot*
*GT5 shot with Jaggies*
*Compression*
*na-uh*
*ya-uh*
*more photorealistic shots*
*standard car pictures* (Shinnns specialty)
*bad looking FM4 pic*
*compression*
*na-uh*
*oh yes*
*photo realistic GT5 pictures*
*mine has higher poly count*
*yea but mine got better lighting thus more realistic*
*shows photorealistic FM4 pic*
*turned contrast way up*
*na-uh*
*ya-uh*

and on and on and on it goes. No one fully admits anything in this thread for every argument they each find a counter argument even if it doesn't make sense

Lol you this thread keeps getting updated because Forza players have been straight up claiming the best from their preferred racer looks better the best GT5 can offer? Did you actually think this thread was created so we could all come to a definitive conclusion as to which is a better game? C'mon...tsk

You say that many Forza fans agree that GT at its best looks better and i replied by saying "yet the thread continues" which implies that there is no such consensus and this your last reply is basically restating what i said. There is no consensus here (and there never will be), that is why there has been a flood of pictures for the last 10-20 pages.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
this is how it goes

*photorealistic GT5 shot*
*GT5 shot with Jaggies*
*Compression*
*na-uh*
*ya-uh*
*more photorealistic shots*
*standard car pictures* (Shinnns specialty)
*bad looking FM4 pic*
*compression*
*na-uh*
*oh yes*
*photo realistic GT5 pictures*
*mine has higher poly count*
*yea but mine got better lighting thus more realistic*
*shows photorealistic FM4 pic*
*turned contrast way up*
*na-uh*
*ya-uh*

and on and on and on it goes. No one fully admits anything in this thread for every argument they each find a counter argument even if it doesn't make sense

GT5 guys don't admit their game is graphically inconsistent?

Consistency is very important in a thread where we're mainly debating the visual qualities of both titles.

Heck, what's the point of having 1000 cars if 80% of them are hard to obtain through unnecessarily obtuse design decisions and are mere upres'd models?

Forza may have less, but look at the overall picture.

tranciful

I would rather have more content that is visually inconsistent then less content that is visually consistent

Fixed for me. I hope standard cars/tracks continue for future GT titles but unfortunately they caused so much drama I doubt they'll do that ever again. Instead, they'll just cut all that fun content. Such a shame.

We'll get more premium content regardless -- I don't see the harm in getting extras in the form of standards.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I would rather have more content that is visually inconsistent, and yet accurate, then less content that is visually consistent but inaccurate...
So... are you pro-premium/standard model or anti-premium/standard model?

Can you find one single example where someone said GT5 is more consistent than Forza 4?

So we agree that Forza is more graphically consistent than GT5, and that GT is, at its best, graphically superior to Forza and, at its worst, graphically inferior to Forza?

adelante

You say that many Forza fans agree that GT at its best looks better and i replied by saying "yet the thread continues" which implies that there is no such consensus and this your last reply is basically restating what i said. There is no consensus here, that is why there has been a flood of pictures for the last 10-20 pages.

I believe even the most ardent of Forza supporters (FordGTGuy, i'm looking at you) has said GT5's best is unmatched. We may not come to a general consensus but I think that counts for something lol

Top Bottom