• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5: The monetization is even worse than you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Cowboy

So you can earn the cars with in game credits as well, so how long would it take to earn enough to buy just that 1 £32.50 car?.

I'm guessing it must be one heck of a long grind if it costs £32.50 cash.

UraMallas

I will not be buying Forza at all and I got KI for free and will not be purchasing a single thing for it. They will not nickle and dime me. I'll be very wary of MS first-party games, going forward, and will not support this trend.

I hope there are more that are like me.

Skyr

Aight its kinda disgusting i have to agree.
The thing is they are pushing this system because it obviously works for them. People are that stupid to spent cash on this bullshit. Actually i dont mind them doing it, as long as it does not affect game balancing. And in forza 5 it doesnt.
I always looked at this Microtransactions as a way of cheating you pay money for.
People doing that are pathetic, i cant take them serious.

On the upper end, our goal is to make the truly elite cars feel really exclusive. As a result, the top-end cars in Forza Motorsport 5 will cost significantly more in tokens than they would if you earned them with in-game credits. In the past, expensive cars could be purchased with very few tokens (not in proportion with the amount of effort required to earn the cars through racing), thus allowing players willing to spend tokens to jump straight into the most exclusive cars in the game. Now, we’ve made token prices equal to in-game credit prices. For those who want to spend some extra real money and get those exclusive cars, they’ll have that option, but they will no longer devalue the hard work of those who earned the cars through racing and building up in-game credits. Either way, expensive cars will have real rarity.

lol its a fucking game. probably the closest as we could ever to driving a said car. not everything has to be bound the rules of reality... even the ownership and rarity of a car.

meppi

And with this news I have completely lost any interest in the future of this series. Thanks MS for saving me money, I guess! :-/

Microsoft's gotta make up for the $200M they spent upgrading that controller somehow. Not to mention the $2B they're in the hole with the Xbone so far.

Disgusting, though. Microsoft could become synonymous with Microtransactions if they're not careful.

Naminator

Banned
Is getting cars really that hard in Forza 5?

I'm not talking about ALL cars, since unlocking all content in almost any video game will take someone a while, but if I play couple of hours a day, how many cars am I looking at by the end of the week?

Grisby

Pretty awful, especially since things are likely to progress even further from here. I'd read that most of MS's launch games are like this, are they all this bad?
From what i can gather the only one that's more dishonest is Crimson Dragon in that it forces you to grind in order to advance (or you can just buy gems or something). Ryse has some xp stuff but I haven't heard anyone on any podcasts (gb, WC) complain about it.

Dead Rising doesn't appear to have anything.

The forza stuff sounds kinda shitty and I hope the Horizon team doesn't follow their lead too closely. Granted, in a lot of these cases you can still buy the stuff by just playing the game for a lot longer but still, it's not a great path to start walking when you are already charging full retail price.

Barakov

Gold Member
I don't think they're as bad as this but from what I saw in a different thread it seems like Dead Rising 3 and one other game, can't remember if it was crimson dragon or lococycle, are the only major exclusive on XB1 that don't have microtransactions.

From what I heard Crimson Dragon is just as gross as Forza. Maybe even more so, since they are basically selling a free to play game for 20$.

Whoever actually buys a car for 32$ deserves to get as screwed as they are getting.

Only way to show a company like MS this shit is unacceptable is to not purchase the whole product. You will get a much better product next time around.

ramparter

Banned
LOL this is so funny actually... If the game was free to download and play then I would understand all this... but are they expecting player will pay full and then spend even more to buy extra content?

I posted this is in the other thread, but it seemed to have been forgotten pretty quickly. In regards to my defending this in the case of Forza:

After learning a bit more about how Forza 5 works, I must say, they definitely have made some changes that are, without a doubt, designed to encourage people to buy cars with real money to the detriment of the game experience.

Seems like earning potential and car prices haven't changed. That's the good news.

But these few things all combine to make a pretty big and noticeable difference:

- No cars unlocked as you level. There is no logical, game-enhancing reason this was taken out. Its something that most everyone enjoyed. Some tweaks could have been to the 'progression' of cars you unlocked, but certainly no one wanted the whole system taken out.

- Manufacturer affinity is gone. This was something that also could have used some tweaking, but was otherwise a very good idea. Before, you could basically get free upgrades quite quickly. That could have used changing. It was definitely too quick. But again, people liked the system and it didn't warrant taking out. The fact that you can use tokens to buy upgrades now makes it blatantly obvious what the intentions were here.

- Free Play no longer allows you to drive any car in the game. Before, while some cars were quite expensive, it didn't stop people from the enjoyment of driving them if they wanted to. You just wouldn't own the car, couldn't customize it or race it in career. This was a fantastic compromise, as you could test drive anything you wanted and even if you couldn't afford an expensive car you really liked, you could still get to experience it out on-track. With that gone, it really pushes at the car collector types to pay real money.

- No buying/selling paints/setups/vinyls. You can still make some money off of this, but there will clearly not be any sort of ecosystem built around this like before. No reason for this to have happened. People *loved* the way it was.

- Buying cars and upgrades, the game definitely treats 'car tokens' as an equally viable way of bartering. Every step of the way, prices are given in credits and tokens, with equal font size and all, even going as far as having a little pop-up menu to 'confirm' whether you're going to buy with credits or tokens.

It all amounts to a blatant attempt at encouraging people to spend more money. All at the detriment of the game from several important angles.

So I was wrong here guys for defending this. I didn't realize it was going to be that bad. Its definitely not like previous Forza's at all and is totally shameful.

All that said, I still don't feel microtransactions are inherently evil. Previous Forza's were fine. Other games do ok with it, too.

Oh, wow. That is some corporate america bullshit.

their blatant attempt to rip people off is so completely obvious that it isn't even funny.

Maybe I'm wrong but wasn't GT5 initially supposed to be a game based around microtransactions? Every cars were to be bought with real money if I remember correctly. At least it was a model that was advertised by Kazunori Yamauchi around E3 2005, in the wake of the Vision Gran Turismo trailer, resulting in a backslash that made him fall back to a safer formula.

Slair

How long would it take to earn enough credits for the best cars and what would you be doing e.g. racing the same single track/race repeatedly or the same set of tracks or are there a few different events you can do to make the grind less boring?

Klocker

This is no different than Tiger Woods offering to let you buy clubs and balls instead of playing and earning them in game.

This is purely optional for people with more money than they need to do with what they want

The rest of us can just get all the same cars by playing through the game

Zinthar

Whoever actually buys a car for 32$ deserves to get as screwed as they are getting.

Only way to show a company like MS this shit is unacceptable is to not purchase the whole product. You will get a much better product next time around.

The bigger problem, though, is what effect the presence of the micro-transactions had on the design with regard to progression. You probably have to grind to get the best cars in this one, which was never something I had to do in Forza 4.

If T10 decided to make it F2P I would drop all of my complaints against it. I just hate that they are charging full price for this game and blatantly changing the way it plays to encourage players to pay out even more for microtransactions. I mean $60 for the game, then another $50 for a season pass, then a terrible credit earning ratio from playing, then DLC cars that only give the option of purchasing the cars rather than giving them to you.

It's horrible.

Where the fuck are the gaming press in all of this. Oh right they all have digital versions with everything unlocked from the start.

I really wish there was a website or magazine out there who review games as we play them, not with all the options and content unlocked from the start. It makes reviews completely pointless when it comes to games like these. The experience they have is totally different to the experience players have at home, and we have to fucking pay for this shit unlike them.

Jason, if you are out there, I think Kotaku has the balls to do a massive fucking exposé on the practice of microtransactions in full priced games. It could shake the foundations of the games industry as we know it if you could get to the bottom of it.

eso76

There's some misunderstanding here.
You don't need to pay real money to buy cars ingame; they can be bought the usual way, by racing and earning ingame money.
It doesn't look like a lot of grinding either tbh, since you earn money rather quickly and even when you are not playing your drivatar earns money for you.

T10 just gives the option to impatient/stupid/rich fellas to get those cars sooner.

Not that this makes it less evil. What T10 is doing (especially by HOLDING BACK content so they can sell it back to you as DLC later) is repulsive, as is taking advantage of impatient/stupid/rich fellas, luring them by removing the ability to drive each car from the get go in free race.

amar212

So you can earn the cars with in game credits as well, so how long would it take to earn enough to buy just that 1 £32.50 car?.

Yes, I would like to know this too before actually jumping to any conclusions.

1. what is the average net-payout for the 1st place with all possible bonuses (no assists, pro AI, simulation setting, etc)?

2. which amount of money can be earned by self-sustained grind of Rivals? (as in FM4, where you deliberately do not push someone's Rival in order to maximise the profits with every next run with Rival above)?

3. How long EXACTLY can take to earn 1-million? One hour? Two hours?

4. Also, I would like to know what is the length of the average race?

That Lotus E21 costs

Two million or 4,000 tokens was confirmed by me.

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/3/6267085/ShowThread.aspx

From the Eurogamer review

A series will, on average, net the player in excess of 110,000 credits for just under an hour's effort - but with some of the premium racecars costing well over a million, it's a somewhat brutal grind.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-20-forza-motorsport-5-review

So if you believe Eurogamer's numbers, should take a bit more than 18 hours to get that 2 million credit car

MormaPope

Banned
Is getting cars really that hard in Forza 5?

I'm not talking about ALL cars, since unlocking all content in almost any video game will take someone a while, but if I play couple of hours a day, how many cars am I looking at by the end of the week?

Look at it this way, in Forza 4 every time you leveled up you get to choose a free car from a pre defined line up. This happens for the first 50 levels, so you eventually level up 50 times and get 50 cars for free, no in game money needed. After level 50, leveling up means getting around 50,000 - 150,000 credits.

Basically you get rewarded for playing the game a lot.

E92 M3

They were too busy saying they like the fact that there are very many less tracks, so you can get to know them better. AdamSessler literally said that.

QytwFvG.jpg

Klocker

The bigger problem, though, is what effect the presence of the micro-transactions had on the design with regard to progression. You probably have to grind to get the best cars in this one, which was never something I had to do in Forza 4.

Nope... they increased the payout timing and reduced costs on most of the cars

Look at it this way, in Forza 4 every time you leveled up you get to choose a free car from a pre defined line up. This happens for the first 50 levels, so you eventually level up 50 times and get 50 cars for free, no in game money needed. After level 50, leveling up means getting around 50,000 - 150,000 credits.

Basically you get rewarded for playing the game a lot.
They removed car rewards in Forza 5. Among other things.

old

This is Gran Turismo's chance to comeback with a great game that comes out the box with access to all of the awesome cars. Forza can really only get away with this is they don't fear losing sales for doing it. If GT makes them lose sales by offering a better deal then we may see Forza go back to the old way.

Pipe dream. But we can hope.

AlexMogil

Plus with as many features as Forza 5 is missing this bullshit makes it even worse. Maybe if they spent less time figuring out how to screw the customer they'd have more time to implement fun features.

The microsransaction for the big cars (apart for how bloody expensive it is) doesn't bother me, really. As long as there is a way to earn it in game.

The fact that it is missing features compared to Forza 4 is my bummer. Everybody gushed praise over this game because it's Forza 5, though, and with that came this expectation that it would be a build upon Forza 4. It doesn't. I *understand* it is a launch title, but it sure got rated like "The Game After Forza 4."

And I can guarandamntee that we're going to get to a point of 5 mushrooms for a dollar. It's working in the mobile and Facebook space and publishers are licking their chops to build an infrastructure. Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony will all happily take their cut.

Still looking pretty good on PS4.

Uh huh.

They removed car rewards in Forza 5. Among other things.

I'm pretty sure that lack of storefront and auction house was based on this as well. I could make a few millions a day on storefront selling my stuff and then I would share the money with others via Auction House.

Now it's all removed so you either grind like crazy or you pay with real money.

revotron

A car doesn't feel exclusive if you know there are thousands of people who swiped their card and obtained them in a matter of minutes.

How in the fuck does that not take away the value of earning those cars the proper way?

kurbaan

Banned
Don't shout too loud as GT6 has microtransactions. We just dont know how they will be implemented.

I dont like microtransactions but if they get the balance right, I dont really care (I wont buy them regardless). If it feels like the developer has slowed down progression in game to try to force microtransactions, then we have a big fucking problem .

Yeah. And the fact that Ryse has the too i see this as something all future ms games having. And if sony is experimenting on it with GT6, I am very scared of the future. If we thought last gen was bad with DLC its about to get a whole lot worse.

Its like NO MORE ONLINE PASSES we will only sodomize you now.

Don't shout too loud as GT6 has microtransactions. We just dont know how they will be implemented.

I dont like microtransactions but if they get the balance right, I dont really care (I wont buy them regardless). If it feels like the developer has slowed down progression in game to try to force microtransactions, then we have a big fucking problem .
Ding-ding

I think we have a big fucking problem.

amar212

They were too busy saying they like the fact that there are very many less tracks, so you can get to know them better. AdamSessler literally said that.

Does not mean anything.

Dan Greenawalt literally said how FM5 will have greatest graphic engine ever produced for the driving game and then said how daytime changes can't be done because of such superior engine.

One minute later he said how FM5 tyre-model is better then F1 teams have and then concluded they can't make wet surfaces because it would be too complex for the tyre-model.

My mind was beyond disbelief during that interview. From that point on I am amazed how anyone can take that man seriously.

Bedlam

Nope... they increased the payout timing and reduced costs on most of the cars
That doesn't make it better. If they did make changes, they did it because of the outcry. Same with Crimson Dragon.

So, is that the future of videogames? Do we have to scream at the developers every single time from now on to get them to scale back their shitty P2P2P mechanics? I will not be participating in this nonsense. I will simply not buy their games.

They will continue to push it and try to get away with what they can. If the public reception seriously impacts their image, they will make adjustments. But they will attempt it over and over again to dilute the consumer's sensibility for that stuff.

Orca

Then I stand corrected. If the progression is fine this is really a non-issue.

Keep in mind that Seanspeed hasn't actually played the game yet so his opinion on how microtransactions have been implemented might change with some hands-on experience. People that have actually played the game, a group that seems fairly under represented in the thread, haven't seemed all that put out by the tokens. The lack of content is a bigger issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom