• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5: The monetization is even worse than you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You joined one month ago and literally every post you've made on this forum is in defense of this shitty DLC practice.

Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

I said in my 1st post on this board that I hadnt ever posted before. And its not that im defending the DLC practice. I am TRYING to get people to see the truth. I personally dont like the DLC, iv said that as well. Also, this isnt really DLC, its microtransactions, but why split hairs.

Eusis

Boy, this generation will be glorious! One of the many reasons I'll be watching from the PC (and Wii U, I guess) sidelines this time around.
Well, Sony's a bit of an unknown, the closest Knack has is grinding out a free iOS game that has no microtransactions whatsoever and was clearly itself an advertisement, and Shadowfall just has a standard Season Pass, albeit one that includes another gameplay mode not included with the base game that usually is, but then most modern MP console games don't give you maps for free over time so it's kind of a wash, like some twist of the status quo that may be better or worse depending on your view (I DO feel keeping the player base unified is more important, and the co-op stuff has actively been sold as an expansion as I recall.) Gran Turismo 6 IS looking to be a problem, but we need to see how much they charge for this stuff and how much you earn per race.

Anyways I have to hope either this shit REALLY bites Microsoft on the ass, or at least consumers are generally apathetic and that we don't get a bunch of whales justifying this shit for them. It's why I don't place TOO much stock in the notion they need to stick around for Sony's sake, enough poisonous ideas and it's better they sink as an example of what NOT to do than the exist for the sake of competition. Admittedly the ideal would be if they could do the ultimate 180 and go to a state closer to the OG Xbox and early 360 days but with saner budgets, possibly loosening up on DLC and whatnot too, but I kind of suspect that if this doesn't work they'll just shuffle Xbox off to someone else or outright kill it.

Its from Microsoft Studios correct? Is reporting them to the Better Business Bureau or the Consumer Protection Agency an appropriate action?

I think strictly speaking they're probably not breaking any rules to "recommend" an expensive package, or state that another is "great value". I'm sure they've got some legal team to look at that. Certainly couldn't hurt to report them though, and at the very least it might get a mention on WatchDog (in the UK).

nikos

It's sickening, really. The more I think about it, the more it angers me, and the more I play Forza 5, the less I like it.

Being a launch title, they have to realize that their game might actually be a system seller. I bought an XBone on impulse the other night and Forza 5 is the reason why I kept it. After spending over $600 to play this game, the absolute last thing I want to see is some token system implemented, especially when the season pass DLC already costs almost as much as the game. What's worse is it's shoved in your face all the time. Press Y to level up faster! Buy this with tokens! No.

On the subject of money-grubbing, I feel like the game's soundtrack is a result of them not wanting to spend money to license music. They pass it off as something that's supposed to intensify racing around a track, but it ends up sounding cheesy; like title screen music to a bad action game or a B-rated film.

The game is very bare bones and feels unfinished. It also doesn't look or feel next-gen to me at all. The more I think about it, the closer I am to packing up the XBone and taking it back to the store until more games are released. I've pretty much already lost interest in Forza, and I'm disgusted with myself for supporting Turn 10 after all of the constant PR bullshit they spew and all of their ways of nickel and diming us to death.

All of microsofts first party games are like this. It's why I'm not buying crimson dragon. In hindsight KI got off easy because at least it's sold in different bundles

I'm already terrified of what there gonna do to halo next year

Oh hell no

If Halo has microtransactions I'm out. I'm just out

Screw that. I was planning on getting an XB1 next year for Halo at least but now have to wait and see what the monetization schemes are like

turnbuckle

It's absolutely disgusting. If Gran Turismo 6 comes close to this I won't be touching it. Terrified of them doing this to GT7.

I'm not 100% opposed to microtransactions, but there's far more palatable ways of handling this. The Road to The Show mode in MLB The Show is a good example of it done right IMO. Hope Sony San Diego doesn't fuck it up for 2014.

Wait... So you use points inside the game and it pulled you from the game to xbox live store? Wow. Just wow.

it's like a in game store it doesn't pull you to the dash it's just inside the select menu and you can use in game experience points to upgrade your stuff , I haven't seen anything asking me for real money on Ryse

I will never buy anything that I can earn in game.. but the logic in this thread is flawed in my mind.

You guys rage because there are micro-transactions for content that is obtainable in game.

Then complain that being able to get the content without earning it should be cheaper?

To me it makes more since that if you want to jump ahead you should pay more.

Then again you still have the choice to not buy it all and still get it by earning it.

Maybe I just don't get it.

Maybe you don't.

Maybe you also don't see the correlation between the ridiculous micro-transactions and the limitations placed on the earning of in-game credits compared to Forza 4.

The writing has been on the wall for this sort of shit for a while now and I'm done with any game that uses this model. Those who support it are welcome to the ugly rip-off future they're cultivating for themselves.

I think strictly speaking they're probably not breaking any rules to "recommend" an expensive package, or state that another is "great value". I'm sure they've got some legal team to look at that. Certainly couldn't hurt to report them though, and at the very least it might get a mention on WatchDog (in the UK).
It could be false advertising, but I'm sure the army of Microsoft Lawyers have already caught wind of this. I'll look into it from the agencys' ends.

Andrax

Banned
One article said it takes about an hour to amass 100,000 credits in Forza5

So to make a million it takes 10 hours to get one expensive car.

Or you can pay a small fortune to unlock it?

How can people honestly defend this "10 hour grind" for ONE car?

PG2G

Because that claim hasn't been substantiated.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wait... So you use points inside the game and it pulled you from the game to xbox live store? Wow. Just wow.

I freely admit that I was powering through the upgrade screen so I MAY have missed a prompt saying we are taking you to the store now but I really, really don't remember it. It was not a very subtle suggestion.

pompidu

it's like a in game store it doesn't pull you to the dash it's just inside the select menu and you can use in game experience points to upgrade your stuff , I haven't seen anything asking me for real money on Ryse

o ok. but it looks like there is real money options in there.

edit: ah ok. I thoughy it was pulling you to the live store.

As opposed to other people who have the game and are saying opposite?

edit; like a bubble er something...

If people are honestly having a hard time making money with this game then they are playing on the easiest difficulty with all the assists on. Other wise there is NO WAY they are having trouble making money

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
The weirdest thing is the Drivatar stuff. Jeff from Giantbomb said before launch when he'd boot up Forza, the game alerted him that his drivatar was in 100 or so races and earned 16,000 credits. Then the next day during the XB1 launch he came back and his drivatar was in 900+ races but earned less than 10k in credits.

Either the credits you earn changed between pre-release and post-release; or post-release saw a lot more skilled players enter, making his drivatar place lower on average, and thus earning less credits on average.

I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt that it's the latter case.

Amused

0.99/100 = 0.0099
4.99/325 = 0.015354
9.99/575 = 0.017374 < "Recommended"
19.99/1250 = 0.0159992
49.99/2700 = 0.018515 < "Great Value"
99.99/8000 = 0.012499

Did I miss something or make a mistake? The scaling seems off, or they are suggesting the most expensive packages.

What in the... fuck...

Hahaha!

This is the funniest thing I have seen all week.

Oh, Jesus fucking christ, shame on you MS, shame on you consumer knowingly supporting this bullshit.

Eusis

Oh hell no

If Halo has microtransactions I'm out. I'm just out

Screw that. I was planning on getting an XB1 next year for Halo at least but now have to wait and see what the monetization schemes are like
Yeah, I want to see how this affects the games I actually give a damn about. If they contrive a way to fuck up D4 and stuff like Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break are riddled with this stuff then there is no reason to bother with an XB1 for me at all. If these launch titles are just showing the worst of it and it either evens out or just stays in a few series like Forza then it won't be an issue.

KaYotiX

Banned

An hour in the low class races.....im sure like other forzas they toss credits at you in better events.

Robbok

Monetization in free to play games is one thing, but in fullprize AAA titles its an absolute "no go" for me. Speak with your wallets! Don´t spend a single cent for it.
I know, many people will buy that shit. we´re screwed.

thats its one of the reasons i dont trust microsoft ,yeah i know everyone is doing similae things..but microsoft its epic level on this subject

Eusis

Not one time in all the time iv spent with this game have I ever thought "Man I wish I had just a bit more money". Maybe its just how I'm personally playing the game but I dont see getting money as an issue.
I can see it being OK if you can still get pretty good, competitive cars that just aren't the very nice or popular ones. But that also depends on having enough gameplay modes and whatnot to enjoy even if it'd take forever to get the cars, and it sounds like the game's REALLY lacking on that front anyway, so it just looks like lose/lose to me.
M$ had to have it's horse armour.
Horse armor was the equivalent to paying for ring tones on a phone. This is something much, much worse.

Salex_

Oh man, the people trying to defend this are too funny. The "don't buy it, problem solved" mentality doesn't make any sense. Do you realize that majority of people don't buy micro-transactions in mobile games, right? The reason why it's still in nearly all of those games is because the small percentage that buys it spends a lot of money. This is just the beginning and it'll be in many games just like mobile games and how fast this DLC/season pass bullshit spread throughout most current games.

Micros-transactions WILL affect the gameplay and will constantly try to convince you to pay up.

I can see it being OK if you can still get pretty good, competitive cars that just aren't the very nice or popular ones. But that also depends on having enough gameplay modes and whatnot to enjoy even if it'd take forever to get the cars, and it sounds like the game's REALLY lacking on that front anyway, so it just looks like lose/lose to me.

Horse armor was the equivalent to paying for ring tones on a phone. This is something much, much worse.

It seems to me that the game was designed with this progression in mind "play through the career, earn all the money, buy the cars then race online" that might not be for ever. But thats really how it seems to me. because the people who are complaining about not being able to buy a Bugatti Veyron SS for 2.4 million credits in the 1st 5 hours of the game have to be wanting it ONLY for online. Because there just arent that many races in the games career you could even do with that car.

Seanspeed

Banned
Keep in mind that Seanspeed hasn't actually played the game yet so his opinion on how microtransactions have been implemented might change with some hands-on experience. People that have actually played the game, a group that seems fairly under represented in the thread, haven't seemed all that put out by the tokens. The lack of content is a bigger issue.
People that are fans of the game wont be personally affected that much because they will play a lot and earn money naturally. I keep hearing people say you need to 'grind' but people who enjoy racing wont see it as grinding. You can grind if you want, and plenty of people do, but its misleading to make it sound like thats the only way to get some of these cars.

That said, not everybody will enjoy racing as much and these people are definitely the ones being targeted here.

And the bottom line is that they've cut useful and enjoyable features in a very clear attempt to encourage people to spend more real money. Just because the diehard fans are least affected doesnt make it less shameful.

dengatron

Token cost of all cars in the game comes to 168993
if bought at simplest token value cost of 8000 per $100 usd, that comes to $2200. you could probably bring it in a bit cheaper by buying the remaining balance with smaller amounts instead of the 8000 lot.
if bought at the least value cost of 1250 per $20 that comes to $2700.
cheapest overall brings it to $1690 with 100 tokens per dollar..

da fuq?

commedieu

Banned
If people are honestly having a hard time making money with this game then they are playing on the easiest difficulty with all the assists on. Other wise there is NO WAY they are having trouble making money

So some people would be having the problem then. And just a shot in the dark, some might be having problems on other difficulties as well. And unlike the previous iterations, it doesn't seem to produce enough money as a benefit to a variety of players winning/losing/assists/noassists/etc. If it was business as usual, it wouldn't be a thread.

You can't just say that people that are finding this problematic, aren't having an issue. -- But wait, they are, under a specific circumstance! Bottom line is people are having a problem with it. However they've been playing the game in the past, they are continuing to do it now, with way different results. Just from a bystander looking at the suggested packages and what not, it doesn't make any sense outside of a consumer unfriendly way. Then those weird instances combined with players also having the concern about vehicles being priced too much for the amount of time to be put in makes a subject that is worthy to discuss on a gaming forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom