• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5: The monetization is even worse than you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you say your experience is representative? Or are you on the high end?

VIP double rewards? Loyalty benefits from previous games?

So people should expect to make nearly a million credits per hour? Because that's the first time I've seen as estimate anywhere even close to that.

Oh i'm definitely on the high end. And I certainly never said that someone whos walking into the series for the first time should expect to get all the gifts I have gotten. But the supposed difficulty of making money in this game via racing has been way overblown. The game rewards players who turn off aides and increase the difficulty, want to make more money? get faster and turn off the ridiculous automatic braking aid.

shandy706

Actually, how does one get a mod to fix a thread title? This one could use a little attention. Should probably read...

Forza 5: The monetization fuss was completely overblown. Never change, Gaf.

I'd say everyone should just quit posting in here. I'm just posting this to say that.

Surprised it hasn't been locked...I've got a ton of cars, have spent very little of my over 5 million in credits, and have a TON of racing to do before I ever need another car.

I also only get to play sparingly. Maybe 1-2 hours a night if I'm lucky. Only managed 3 races last night and one race the night before.

I'd say everyone should just quit posting in here. I'm just posting this to say that.

Surprised it hasn't been locked...I've got a ton of cars, have spent very little of my over 5 million in credits, and have a TON of racing to do before I ever need another car.

I also only get to play sparingly. Maybe 1-2 hours a night if I'm lucky. Only managed 3 races last night and one race the night before.

Yep, and you probably race with the correct settings.

Chitown B

I'm brand new and need the assisted braking otherwise I spin every corner :eek:

I'm getting better though. Learning how to feel the rumble trigger to check my wheel spin.

kadotsu

Banned
1. Ew. Moba's. Yuck.

2. get some clue about what goes into making a Forza game compared to making a stupid moba and maybe then you'll understand.

oh-wait-youre-serious-let-me-laugh-even-harder-240x180.jpg

rjcc

Having played the game, I definitely feel like the microtransaction setup is kinda BS. I haven't purchased any tokens and I won't, I got some for buyin the LE version, but I'm not in a hurry to use them bc I don't really know how they scale.

not having the free play mode or ability to test drive cars before purchasing sucks, and it's definitely different from forza 3 (I bought 4, but barely played it, just don't have enough time) which seemed to throw cars at you constantly.

all of that said, the difference in how I actually play the game has changed very little. I usually didn't use the cars forza tossed out for free, and I'm still waiting to see how the ingame marketplace works once that's open.

I didn't even know about forza rewards until I read this thread and I have 3 million credits as a result. I haven't really used them yet, I bought the TVR Sagaris I like to drive, put a woodgrain paintjob on it, and have been driving a ton. Not bugged by a lack of tracks, cars yet, they seem to have all the MUST ones in there, and for all the LOLCLOUDLOL the AI Drivatars have made the game more fun to play in SP than any previous one.

Still a fan of the game, and I'd still recommend it, but the microtransactions are needlessly confusing the plot. If they had released a game w/ this number of cars and w/o the modes that were there before, it would just be whatever, but because you can real money buy your way up the ladder it's a curious decision. same w/ GT6, as soon s you introduce the option, the ALREADY curious nature of having to "earn" access to features you paid money to play in the first place is exposed.

are you able to resell your Steam games or your iPhone games? I really don't see the difference other than a plastic disc vs. digital bits on a hard drive. However, after being pressed, MS was saying that resale would be allowed by them - otherwise third parties had reign over their own properties, as it should be.

No, you can't resell Steam games, according to their TOS, and that's a problem that also needs to be addressed.

Yes, I can resell my IPhone games. I did, in fact. Not individually, though - I sold the whole phone. You can, and many people have, done the same thing with Wiis and 360s and PS3s.

You're right, though - there's shouldn't be a difference between discs and bits, but you have it completely backwards. Discs, cartridges, whatever - they've never been subject to special treatment that prevents true ownership and everything that goes with it, whether that's lending, borrowing, sharing, reselling, or giving away.

Digital sales have ceased all of that from working, but only in a passive manner - the mechanism simply isn't there, and so far, that's gone relatively unnoticed. But according to law, we still have those rights. Technology has gotten ahead of the law, and no one cared until Microsoft tried to retroactively apply DD practices to physical games.

Instead of thinking that brand new digital limitations are the "right" way, educate yourself about how a consumer market works, and realize that the same rights we've always enjoyed with all physical goods need to apply to digital purchases as well.

hmmm... yea like that wouldnt go over like a fart in church. Half of the reason this microtransaction garbage (i hate it to by the way, fuck the lazy, grind that shit out like a man.) exists is because costs of AAA titles production keeps going up but people arent into paying more for the games...

I didn't say it would sell. I just said it's their right to set the price. It's not okay for them to sell you a product and artificially limit your access to it in order to get more money out of you.

I'd love to see, say, a movie do this. Buy a movie, start watching and then have it halt 20 minutes in and say "this film will resume in 10 minutes...or you can pay $5 to have it resume now".

There would be no debate about whether that's okay. The backlash would be universal...well, I guess there are always a few crazies. Near-universal.

I didn't say it would sell. I just said it's their right to set the price. It's not okay for them to sell you a product and artificially limit your access to it in order to get more money out of you.

I'd love to see, say, a movie do this. Buy a movie, start watching and then have it halt 20 minutes in and say "this film will resume in 10 minutes...or you can pay $5 to have it resume now".

There would be no debate about whether that's okay. The backlash would be universal...well, I guess there are always a few crazies. Near-universal.

I can 100% guarantee there would be someone on GAF saying "just make a sandwich!"

Chitown B

Instead of thinking that brand new digital limitations are the "right" way, educate yourself about how a consumer market works, and realize that the same rights we've always enjoyed with all physical goods need to apply to digital purchases as well.

I understand your point of view and what you're trying to say. personally, it doesn't affect me, so it doesn't matter (to me). I rarely sell games anyway, and by the time I do, they're worthless. I have a stack of 15 games I'm trying to sell on Craigslist for $75 total and they've not even gotten a bite. And they're good games.

The limiting isn't absolute, though. It's giving you a choice. You can pay to speed everything up, or not. You still have access to all of the same stuff on disc that everyone else has. It's a bad example since it's going away - but the Diablo III auction house is not much different than this. You could spend real money for fake gold to buy better armor. Or not.

Another point, then, is that isn't DLC the same thing? DLC packs that are day one, or are spaced out over a year for another $50-60? Isn't that limiting you? If they were going to make this stuff anyway, shouldn't they wait until they made all of it and just include it on the disc? But they won't, because they are business.

This seems like you're all arguing over how bad this is. That seems kinda superfluous. Whether it's terrible or only mildly annoying, it doesn't seem like there's anything good about this. If the best thing to be said about it is that its 'mostly harmless', well that still makes it a negative addition to the series.

I understand your point of view and what you're trying to say. personally, it doesn't affect me, so it doesn't matter (to me). I rarely sell games anyway, and by the time I do, they're worthless. I have a stack of 15 games I'm trying to sell on Craigslist for $75 total and they've not even gotten a bite. And they're good games.

I almost never sell games, either. I'm not worried about resale value, or even the ability for myself. I do sometimes lend games, but not much. It's not about me. It's about rights. I've never made a public speech bashing the government, but the moment I'm told I can't, I'll happily take up arms to fight about it.

Consumer rights aren't something to start a revolution over, but I do still think they're important. It's scary that corporations are becoming as powerful as governments, when business can be so amoral.

The limiting isn't absolute, though. It's giving you a choice. You can pay to speed everything up, or not. You still have access to all of the same stuff on disc that everyone else has. It's a bad example since it's going away - but the Diablo III auction house is not much different than this. You could spend real money for fake gold to buy better armor. Or not.

Another point, then, is that isn't DLC the same thing? DLC packs that are day one, or are spaced out over a year for another $50-60? Isn't that limiting you? If they were going to make this stuff anyway, shouldn't they wait until they made all of it and just include it on the disc? But they won't, because they are business.

Yeah, it's all similar, that's why it's such a complicated conversation. It's a matter of degrees - and such is life. I mean, few people get too worked up if someone takes a pen from their desk, or doesn't return a borrowed book or something, but technically, it's still stealing. That doesn't mean someone won't be upset if their house is robbed, or even if someone doesn't return a borrowed car, or game system, or even a game.

DLC's a complicated issue. Done right, it's a win-win. But there's not a whole lot of that going on, unfortunately.

StratJ

Banned
Would you say your experience is representative? Or are you on the high end?

VIP double rewards? Loyalty benefits from previous games?

So people should expect to make nearly a million credits per hour? Because that's the first time I've seen as estimate anywhere even close to that.
If he's like me you get 130% coin boost per every race for racing with a clutch, no assists and on unbeatable difficulty. I easily earn 200k per tournament and before I redeemed my rewards I had 500k from a couple of hours of playtime.

I honestly feel like they've just driven the market towards getting better at the game compared to the prior's. I would never see the need to buy anything.

shandy706

I suppose my account is a good example of how someone who doesn't have the VIP perks could do. I am a VIP (bought the LE), but I'm one of many that have the glitch where we didn't get (and still don't) most of our VIP perks. I do NOT get XP or the credits a VIP would. I literally get half what those without the glitch get.

Despite that, I still have quite a few cars in the short time I've played and a ton of money. In fact, I have some very expensive cars and have more money than what they gifted me still...despite buying multiple cars and upgrading them.

I also have cars that are eligible in nearly any category of the career already in the garage..granted, you only see a small sliver in my shots below.

There is NOTHING that feels like grinding to me, and I don't feel like I'm forced into any micro-transactions.

Being a father of two, and working 10-12 hour work days..I've only managed 7 HOURS and 22 Minutes of play time. This INCLUDES my daughter playing on my account (she's 6) and earning me nothing..:).

So here's what I have with basically 7 hours (probably less) of myself racing.

(forgive the crappy cell pics)

This is last night when I started up the game.

ibvJg1HXgpIuOf.JPG

This is how much money I had when I started playing ($4,315,008)

ibawl9B0y7MaBp.JPG

This is last night when I stopped playing 12 minutes of racing later.

i7VlqDqvX0YAO.JPG

This how much money I had after racing for 12 minutes ($4, 357,850) $42, 842 more.

iiWC1yIrzKRIK.JPG

These are the categories I can race in (There are hundreds of events across the categories)

i4XzkAM7bprZE.JPG

Here are some of the cars in my current garage after the little play time I've put in.

iTFPLvDOzMqka.JPG
ibmKno5medXQwL.JPG

If Turn 10 was trying to Monetize the game to make a ton of cash...they're doing it wrong, lol. There's no pressure to pay for micro-transactions, and I have yet to race half the cars in my garage through a series or a category they qualify for. I don't see myself ever needing the 100 free tokens they give everyone (or the 1250 I didn't get due to the glitch).

They're working on the glitch and hopefully the patch in the coming week or so will get me up to speed where I'll be making even more money.

Anyway, I was just trying to show that even someone who doesn't get the LE perks...and who doesn't get to play a lot..should in no way ever need the tokens or Micro-transactions. I'd be happy if they removed them, but it in no way interferes with gameplay, obtaining cars, or racing events.

Chitown B

agreed, all except the fact that I still want my crown, 2x rewards, access to events, etc. I paid $20 for that VIP membership I never received, 10 days ago.

I'm actually very worried about GT7 right now. If this model proves to be successful we're all fucked. Look at online gaming paywalls as an example.

Don't be worried, I think Sony have proved they listen to the gaming community including NeoGaf. I have faith they won't follow M$'s mistakes.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Microsoft loves pushing the envelope with how far they can stick it to their users before they push back.
And then they react with the oh sorry guys, we'll make some changes. Can we be friends again?
Everyone knows what type of company this is by now. But hey, keep giving them your business.

Microsoft loves pushing the envelope with how far they can stick it to their users before they push back.
And then they react with the oh sorry guys, we'll make some changes. Can we be friends again?
Everyone knows what type of company this is by now. But hey, keep giving them your business.

I don't disagree with you, but I just think it's a bit provocative for a junior to come into a Forza topic and start saying 'M$' and how Sony is so much more honourable, etc. Thin ice with that sort of behaviour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom