• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 7 - 4k & HDR Courtesy of Blim (Gamersyde)!!! Must See!

Sanctuary

It really does. Watching this on my LG B6 (55) and I'm blown away. I get the feeling people with poor settings, small TVs, or TVs with bad HDR just aren't gonna understand how good this looks. I'd love to see it on a 65 inch or larger set.

Some actually believe that your screen size/viewing distance has no bearing on being able to reap the benefits of higher resolutions.

I'm not one of them, and I also have a B6. Just watched the Wipeout (only 4K, no HDR) and Forza 7 videos. I still believe that HDR and panel tech in general makes the biggest impact, but regardless, I also think this looks way better than Horizon. A game that looked great for a video game, but was still not quite right in terms of overall presentation.

This is why I chuckle when posters claim 4k and HDR are just fads.

4K is somewhat. Right now anyway, but it has little to do with the advantages of the resolution itself. HDR/WCG shouldn't have ever been in question though. This isn't 3D.

farisr

Thanks to the XB1 app, I just found out that the same app in Windows 10 (had to download it) actually does play HDR videos properly (whereas other media players, including the built in windows media player, didn't). I had to struggle playing these files as the XB1S would basically error out 4/5 times when trying to play any of them, but man the W10 app makes things so much more simpler (of course you need a GPU that supports HDR for that). Finally! I can actually use HDR content that isn't UHD blurays or games. Gonna download all those HDR sample files that I never got around to checking out due to not having anything that could play them before.

Thanks to the XB1 app, I just found out that the same app in Windows 10 (had to download it) actually does play HDR videos properly (whereas other media players, including the built in windows media player, didn't). I had to struggle playing these files as the XB1S would basically error out 4/5 times when trying to play any of them, but man the W10 app makes things so much more simpler (of course you need a GPU that supports HDR for that). Finally! I can actually use HDR content that isn't UHD blurays or games. Gonna download all those HDR sample files that I never got around to checking out due to not having anything that could play them before.
Yeah. Shame that whilst using HDR the desktop is washed out. Maybe they'll update the OS to actually display in HDR. Until then it's a feature that I have to turn on and off to play HDR games etc.

So checked it out on my KS8000

Looks good but

I'm not blown away still like I was by YouTube videos or movies that are done well in HDR.

That Dubai race though was retina burning (which is beautiful, but dear heavens at some point this can't be good for our eyes.) The storm and rain is cool......but something feels so off about how he rain on the windshield is done in it. It doesn't feel natural and just too static. So my eyes concentrated on rain drops the entire race instead of the views.

Solid showing though......but nothing really screamed buy 4K or HDR in the vids compared to say Man in the High Castle or The Grand Tour.

I swear I seem to be underwhelmed for the most part on HDR from games compared to video. Tons of video do it so damn well

Mauddib

Banned
Can someone with an HDR monitor take a screen shot so we know what it looks like compared to the above screenshot without an HDR monitor.

Head.spawn

OLLPxvJ.gif

Graphics look topnotch though some of the light hitting the mountains look possibly a little blown out.

Can someone with an HDR monitor take a screen shot so we know what it looks like compared to the above screenshot without an HDR monitor.

You can't properly capture HDR and display it on a standard monitor. Anytime you see someone taking a picture, just run away.

sTiTcH AU

Watched them on the OLED55B6. It's hard to believe that this is gameplay at 60fps, not photomode....but gameplay. Amazing. This is the sort of quality I honestly thought would only exist in bullshots for at least another decade or so on a console.

Mascot

Both of these videos look great on my 65" KS9000, played via HDD. Even getting dangerously close to the screen the IQ is phenomenal.

I wish the driver in the GTR video had left a few cars in front of him though. It would have looked better without a totally empty track, and other little details (eg spray from other vehicles, tyre trails yes/no) could have been looked at in more detail.

Nice vids though. Not as mind-blowing as some comments here led me to believe, but that's fine - I was expecting OTT retina-burning effects but hoping for subtlety (something FM isn't really known for), and thankfully got the latter.

God bless 4k HDR.

What are some good USB drive to use for viewing on Samsung KS* series TVs? I have a crummy 500mb one that works but my 4gb one does not (and yes I have tried formatting it to FAT32).

I've hooked up a bunch of usb drives and external hard drives to the tv. They all worked fine and none of them are fat32.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Ah man, this is why I hate reading GAF, sometimes. There's loads to be impressed by (the HDR looks stunning, for example) but I spent a lot of time noticing niggles with the image:

- the water droplets on the windscreen move according to your speed and direction, but not on the hood
- trackside objects don't appear to reflect in puddles, which is more noticeable with lights
- yeah, that tunnel is too dark - headlights?
- it looks like the mirrors are now 60fps but maybe have a lower resolution?
- I'm surprised even at 4K we still get shimmer and jaggies. It's not as bad as 1080p, but they're still there

Chumley

Banned
For those interested, Gamersyde has just uploaded 4k & HDR capture of Forza 7. If you have previously seen 4k feed you know how impressive the game looks, but I urge you to (if you have a HDR Screen) to download these new files to a USB Drive and run them through your 4k/HDR screen to see how even more impressive this game looks.

I have watched a lot of coverage on this game, even downloaded DF's high bit footage, which was also impressive, but these new ones posted by Gamersyde are the best yet due to the HDR inclusion.

http://www.gamersyde.com/index_en.html

Lock if old!

Pe2mEgP.gif

Looks good.

Mascot

No, HDR+ resamples 8-bit content into 10-bit using artificial algorithms. Despite its name, it has nothing to do with real HDR.

You forgot to add: it's also an abomination akin to Satan himself pissing white-hot acid onto your eyeballs.

Snubbers

OK, having been a tad underwhelmed (not in a terrible way) by what I've seen so far of FM7, I have downloaded the demos' to view tonight on my LG C6 just to see if they 'pop' that bit more.

Ultimately I am not sure what I would like to see graphically, maybe give up some resolution (I Find 1440p with some AA not a bad compromise) for a few more reflections/shadows to really set it in the scene.
The one thing that sticks out above all else is the chase cam videos of the GT2RS, you have the entire boot/trunk lid just one uniform flat looking entity which you think should have a 'more' going on..

Can't wait for the game though, GT Sport / FM7 and pCARS2 this year, we are spoilt! :)

Watched them on the OLED55B6. It's hard to believe that this is gameplay at 60fps, not photomode....but gameplay. Amazing. This is the sort of quality I honestly thought would only exist in bullshots for at least another decade or so on a console.

I have the 65B6 myself. Could you tell me what HDR settings you are using? For me right now it looks a bit exeggerated, this video.

With vivid it look overly vibrant and Bright still as well. But standard just looked dull.

Popsickles

TBH not overly impressed for the apparent beast the xbx is, still think GTsport beta looks better. It's has far more realistic lighting and the HDR on it is also better. The sand in that video just looks off as it does not react to the passing cars at all and the reflections look all kinds of wrong for a wet bonnet/hood there is no distortion.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I have the 65B6 myself. Could you tell me what HDR settings you are using? For me right now it looks a bit exeggerated, this video.

With vivid it look overly vibrant and Bright still as well. But standard just looked dull.

You shouldn't be using Vivid. If playing directly on the TV, use HDR Standard. Make sure contrast and OLED Brightness are both at 100, sharpness at 0, color at 55, and go into advanced settings and turn off any sharpness or interpolation features. It looked plenty bright to me that way.

TBH not overly impressed for the apparent beast the xbx is, still think GTsport beta looks better. It's has far more realistic lighting and the HDR on it is also better. The sand in that video just looks off as it does not react to the passing cars at all and the reflections look all kinds of wrong for a wet bonnet/hood there is no distortion.

I like the colors in GT Sport from the trailers I've seen, but the lighting looks flat to me compared to Forza. What do you think makes it look more realistic?

watership

Reflections and that sand. It's in every thread now. This the Forza 7 isnt good because of this marginal graphical issue meme?

Couldn't watch in hdr, so it looked washed out, but still, damn.

BTW, How come no player can just take the video and render it in sdr automatically? Seem really bad (for adoption) to have to produce 2 contents, when you should just be able to shoot in HDR and support everything.

You shouldn't be using Vivid. If playing directly on the TV, use HDR Standard. Make sure contrast and OLED Brightness are both at 100, sharpness at 0, color at 55, and go into advanced settings and turn off any sharpness or interpolation features. It looked plenty bright to me that way.

I like the colors in GT Sport from the trailers I've seen, but the lighting looks flat to me compared to Forza. What do you think makes it look more realistic?

I'll try that at home man. I had watched a video on YouTube of a guy reviewing the TV and he said if you want the best if HDR you should use vivid. He was talking about movies though and I reckon I'll be using different HDR settings for gaming and movies.

watership

I'll try that at home man. I had watched a video on YouTube of a guy reviewing the TV and he said if you want the best if HDR you should use vivid. He was talking about movies though and I reckon I'll be using different HDR settings for gaming and movies.

Never use Vivid. It's exaggerating the image. I have that same OLED, 55B6, and normal is the way to go.

Mascot

Even if you think GTS looks subjectively 'better', you're still not impressed by Forza 7's visuals?

Jesus Christ. What the fuck do kids these days want from the world?

R aka Bon

I watched this, and while I can tell that the resolution is high( the image looked very crisp), I actually have no idea how to tell if it's HDR or not... Can some users here really see that it is the hdr that makes it look that way or is it just a placebo effect? It also makes it hard when you can't compare the two side by side.

Edit: Do I choose the auto or native color setting? And should I turn smart led off, or put it on standard, light or max?
I also just realized how my tv automatically turns the contrast up to 100 when I view this video. Downloading the 2. video hoping it will prove me wrong on my first impressions. Will try to watch it at night, as the sun outside causes some reflections.

RdN

Holy shit!

I download it and ran in my Samsung KS8000.. And, HOLY SHIT!

I thought I was done with the Forza Motorsport franchise (still love Horizon), but this might pull me back in.

Snubbers

Even if you think GTS looks subjectively 'better', you're still not impressed by Forza 7's visuals?

Jesus Christ. What the fuck do kids these days want from the world?

I'd like to hear a few more 'impressions' of those playing both games at E3, I've seen some reports of people thinking FM7 was much better than GTS, but not too many the other way around..

And those 4K Shots above, obviously look great, but I can't help thinking do they waste a bit too much time working on new shaders and should spend a bit more time making shadows/reflections etc that next step up?

daveo42

Banned
Watched the first video and thought it look pretty washed out until I realized my TV was set on one of the HDR presets as opposed to my custom setup. Look infinitely better, though the one I think I noticed more than anything else was how glorious the interiors looked.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Never use Vivid. It's exaggerating the image. I have that same OLED, 55B6, and normal is the way to go.

Vivid just blows out the whites in HDR. Part of me swears HDR Standard does too as HDR Game reveals more details in the brightest areas, IMO. The HDR Game mode is dimmer, though.

Hmm looks like I have to try this out...I wonder if my LG OLED can play HDR over network drives and/or USB sticks in the USB port....

No idea how to even look that up in the manual!

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Hmm looks like I have to try this out...I wonder if my LG OLED can play HDR over network drives and/or USB sticks in the USB port....

No idea how to even look that up in the manual!

It most certainly can do it through USB sticks as I did it on my E6, and we tested it also on a 2015 OLED (920). Never tried network though.

I'm glad you guys like these videos, I had no idea if people would care or not :)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I was obviously joking!

We definitely care. Any other HDR videos you can share?

Nope, unless you want the truck race (really nothing to see there). These videos started as a mistake from Microsoft who allowed people to do direct feed captures of the game on Ninja Inferno capture hardware. They made a mistake and had the consoles with HDR enabled, leading to the capture looking completely dull if not properly processed (something that's really really new and very much still experimental for many people).
Some sites (Eurogamer / IGN as far as I know) got to capture the game again with properly setup consoles, but we were stuck with these. I managed to more or less color correct the videos so we could use them normally on the site, and then when I got access to the captured files I started to experiment with converting them to HDR10, which is the result here.
We actually own the big brother of the Ninja Inferno (Shogun Inferno) so we will be able to capture HDR footage in the future. But considering how much time these take to process and encode, I think it will be only for preview footage and exceptionally popular or beautiful games.
So yeah we will do more, just not a lot.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Nope, unless you want the truck race (really nothing to see there). These videos started as a mistake from Microsoft who allowed people to do direct feed captures of the game on Ninja Inferno capture hardware. They made a mistake and had the consoles with HDR enabled, leading to the capture looking completely dull if not properly processed (something that's really really new and very much still experimental for many people).
Some sites (Eurogamer / IGN as far as I know) got to capture the game again with properly setup consoles, but we were stuck with these. I managed to more or less color correct the videos so we could use them normally on the site, and then when I got access to the captured files I started to experiment with converting them to HDR10, which is the result here.
We actually own the big brother of the Ninja Inferno (Shogun Inferno) so we will be able to capture HDR footage in the future. But considering how much time these take to process and encode, I think it will be only for preview footage and exceptionally popular or beautiful games.
So yeah we will do more, just not a lot.

Thanks for the explanation. Good stuff.

rjcc

Found a couple of 4K screens

http://i.imgur.com/soX2JGb.jpg

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2P84s9D.jpg

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/MOjiMEv.jpg

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/5rnlzKn.jpg[/QUOTE]

those are all just pictures' from microsoft's media site.

they are not "4k screens" any more than they are promo captures. (there's no indication if they're in-game or replay mode, etc.)

[url]https://news.xbox.com/media/[/url]

Top Bottom