• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 HDR impressions

Vuze

Has anyone been able to get HDR running well on a Sony X800D in game mode? If so please let me know what you did. I have it running well and looking amazing in vivid mode but it's completely awful in game mode.
I assume it's an issue with this game dimming colors or similar. I got it looking pretty decent for me during night time dark room gaming but haven't gotten around to test it during daylight yet. Will report back with my settings later

pswii60

Don't like stutters in movie so for them I use it
Overall I was impessed with hdr for revenant (but it bugs sometimes on my Xbox disc wise it has some issue ), dead pool and xmen , but I was disappointed with bvs, and creed (only got 5 movies ). Forza I saw it straight as I jumped from the demo. It's a nice improvement for a free computing upgrade. This but a nice 4K upscale is really good
What bugs/issues are you getting regarding HDR discs on your Xbox? And what stutters are you getting on movies on your C6 with TruMotion disabled? I'm thinking of swapping my B6 for a C6.

iMax

I assume it's an issue with this game dimming colors or similar. I got it looking pretty decent for me during night time dark room gaming but haven't gotten around to test it during daylight yet. Will report back with my settings later
For my KS9000—game mode or not—it's almost if HDR is reducing the conventional "white point" to accommodate for the extreme white and luminosity provided by the 10-bit signal, if that makes sense.

The end result is a flat, dull picture with blindingly bright HDR effects when looking at the sun, for example. There's no mid-range.

f@luS

More than a member.
What bugs/issues are you getting regarding HDR discs on your Xbox? And what stutters are you getting on movies on your C6 with TruMotion disabled? I'm thinking of swapping my B6 for a C6.
Just revenant. , it stutters for 2min then play fine. And for trumotion off I mean the natural 24fps video judder

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
For my KS9000—game mode or not—it's almost if HDR is reducing the conventional "white point" to accommodate for the extreme white and luminosity provided by the 10-bit signal, if that makes sense.

The end result is a flat, dull picture with blindingly bright HDR effects when looking at the sun, for example. There's no mid-range.
You HAVE adjusted the in-game HDR brightness option, right? That goes for everyone.

The default picture, without adjusting this setting, has an incorrect white point. You HAVE to adjust this setting to match your TV or HDR will not display properly.

Just revenant. , it stutters for 2min then play fine. And for trumotion off I mean the natural 24fps video judder
I'm not sure if this is what you're getting but there is a highly annoying firmware bug with the 2016 OLED TVs (and LG NEEDS to fix this) where changing the picture mode introduces problems unless you toggle input AFTER changing the mode.

If you're in Game Mode, for instance, and switch over to ISF day for watching a movie - there will be skipped frames that result in an obvious judder. It looks terrible.

BUT if you switch to another input and immediately BACK to the original input, the stutter is 100% eliminated and playback is perfect.

The same goes for switching back to Game Mode - when you jump from ISF to Game Mode, there will be added input latency UNTIL you switch to another input then back.

All of these bugs basically center on coming in and out of Game Mode. It hasn't been too annoying for day to day viewing but it's kind of an unacceptable bug that really needs to be addressed. It's my single biggest issue with these TVs and I bet a lot of people are just dealing with stuttering without realizing why.

iMax

You HAVE adjusted the in-game HDR brightness option, right? That goes for everyone.

The default picture, without adjusting this setting, has an incorrect white point. You HAVE to adjust this setting to match your TV or HDR will not display properly.

I'm not sure if this is what you're getting but there is a highly annoying firmware bug with the 2016 OLED TVs (and LG NEEDS to fix this) where changing the picture mode introduces problems unless you toggle input AFTER changing the mode.

If you're in Game Mode, for instance, and switch over to ISF day for watching a movie - there will be skipped frames that result in an obvious judder. It looks terrible.

BUT if you switch to another input and immediately BACK to the original input, the stutter is 100% eliminated and playback is perfect.

The same goes for switching back to Game Mode - when you jump from ISF to Game Mode, there will be added input latency UNTIL you switch to another input then back.

All of these bugs basically center on coming in and out of Game Mode. It hasn't been too annoying for day to day viewing but it's kind of an unacceptable bug that really needs to be addressed. It's my single biggest issue with these TVs and I bet a lot of people are just dealing with stuttering without realizing why.

I have, yeah. And as I mentioned in a different post the white there is just fine—perfect, bright white. That seems to be why things like the sun are shining through just fine but everything else is grey and dull.

Don't like stutters in movie so for them I use it
Overall I was impessed with hdr for revenant (but it bugs sometimes on my Xbox disc wise it has some issue ), dead pool and xmen , but I was disappointed with bvs, and creed (only got 5 movies ). Forza I saw it straight as I jumped from the demo. It's a nice improvement for a free computing upgrade. This but a nice 4K upscale is really good
Turn on 24p playback. Tv should be able to play that without judder.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I have, yeah. And as I mentioned in a different post the white there is just fine—perfect, bright white. That seems to be why things like the sun are shining through just fine but everything else is grey and dull.
That is really odd then and definitely doesn't sound right.

Vuze

So here are my personal settings for the XD80. YMMV but game looks good for me with these, especially at night the brightness is just comfortable to my eyes.
Prominent bright sources like sun, headlights, reflections on roads etc definitely pop while the colors remain saturated - not dull like what I experienced when I first booted the game up and not washed out what others have experienced.

in-game (HDR screenshots are still bugged huh)
OPJmAym.png

TV:
Basic settings
Game mode
Auto Picture: Off
Brightness: 15
Colour: 55
Hue: 0
Light Sensor: Off

Advanced Settings
Contrast: Max
Gamma: 0
Blacks: 50
Black adjust: Off
Advanced Contrast: Off
Color temp: Expert 1 (Advanced settings from rtings http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x800d/settings; I'm aware these should be calibrated for each unit individually but I don't have the knowledge or equip to do so and I liked the overall picture better with these than the default so...)
Live Color: Off

All other post processing like Sharpness, Motionflow, Reality Creation etc is off.

===

It's a real shame they don't support WCG though. Has this been confirmed to be a thing in OG/Slim PS4 HDR and/or PS4Pro HDR games?

Tntnico

Everyone here with a KS8000 seem to be very happy with their HDR experience.
I heard that KS8000 US is not KS8000 EU, which one are we talking about ?

I want to buy this 4KTV next year in Europe, so KS8000 or KS9000 ?

Can't wait to play Forza Horizon 3 on it, this game really makes me want to upgrade ! It's already really really great on my FullHD Samsung 46F8000, so can't wait for a 55" 4KTV :D

Vuze

OK, Vuze's image above is exactly what it looks like on my TV, except the white box where the HDR Brightness calibrator is looks bright white.
Now that's weird and definitely is broken. I'm not sure if there's an option for that on your Samsung but on my Sony I can basically force it to interpret the source as HDR. It sounds like your TV isnt processing the HDR data correctly, or even more so, just the brightness data since you mentioned that the highlights pop. Huh.

iMax

Now that's weird and definitely is broken. I'm not sure if there's an option for that on your Samsung but on my Sony I can basically force it to interpret the source as HDR. It sounds like your TV isnt processing the HDR data correctly, or even more so, just the brightness data since you mentioned that the highlights pop. Huh.
Yeah. It's crazy. Wondering if it's an OS bug in the preview program.

GrayFoxBH

I think it could be very different depending on the game. IMO, if Forza looked more like GT, then the impact would be more noticeable on the cars themselves, just because of the difference in how the lighting works. In FH3, most of the difference is in the skybox and occasionally reflections.

NBA 2K looks almost identical from what I could tell.

Also, figuring out how to calibrate these things will be key, and I'm sure developers can do more to make a difference as they get used to it.
I agree 100%.

kjacobson

Neo Member
So here are my personal settings for the XD80. YMMV but game looks good for me with these, especially at night the brightness is just comfortable to my eyes.
Prominent bright sources like sun, headlights, reflections on roads etc definitely pop while the colors remain saturated - not dull like what I experienced when I first booted the game up and not washed out what others have experienced.

TV:
Basic settings
Game mode

Advanced Settings
Color temp: Expert 1 (Advanced settings from rtings http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x800d/settings; I'm aware these should be calibrated for each unit individually but I don't have the knowledge or equip to do so and I liked the overall picture better with these than the default so...)

All other post processing like Sharpness, Motionflow, Reality Creation etc is off.

===

It's a real shame they don't support WCG though. Has this been confirmed to be a thing in OG/Slim PS4 HDR and/or PS4Pro HDR games?

This is exactly how the game is represented on my Samsung JU7500 except the HDR slider here is bright vivid white and pops. The Sun, Suns reflection on the ocean, and car headlights all pop - while the game word is dull and not very vibrant looking.

killroy87

My HU9000 which is typically vivid and looked great in the demo seems dim in HDR on the full game. Kind of disappointing.

Yeah, same with my Sony. The seem to have made the HDR colors more muted here, instead of making them pop. This makes some lighting effects, like the sun over the water and shining through the trees, look striking, but that's partly because the world looks kind of blah. Turning HDR off, it automatically becomes more colorful.

chifanpoe

I have seen this, thanks for the tip on how to get around it, I will try this fix out asap!

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Oh wow, thanks for this tip.
Have anyone contacted LG about it?

TV:
Basic settings
Game mode

Advanced Settings

===

Thanks I'll try these settings tonight. Have you tried FH3 in vivid mode with HDR? It looks amazing IMO and doesn't suffer from any of the muted colors I see in game mode.

iMax

My HU9000 which is typically vivid and looked great in the demo seems dim in HDR on the full game. Kind of disappointing.

Yeah, same with my Sony. The seem to have made the HDR colors more muted here, instead of making them pop. This makes some lighting effects, like the sun over the water and shining through the trees, look striking, but that's partly because the world looks kind of blah. Turning HDR off, it automatically becomes more colorful.

Same here. Are you both in the Xbox preview program?

Vuze

Thanks I'll try these settings tonight. Have you tried FH3 in vivid mode with HDR? It looks amazing IMO and doesn't suffer from any of the muted colors I see in game mode.
No I haven't. Might try it later but I'm pretty satisfied with the current settings. I wish I could get a good side by side with the PC version on the IPS monitor for further fine tuning but it seems impossible to get the same weather, TOD etc on both versions. Unless there's some "cheat" code or something to manually set this up

Hawk269

That is really odd then and definitely doesn't sound right.

Yeah, on my set colors look fantastic, not dull at all and still get the highlights of HDR while gaming. The only setting on my TV I have changed and I did this for movies is my set when you reset the settings for the HDR input, it puts the color temperature to cool, which is horrible imho and I switch it to Expert 1 (which for most TV's is Warm 2).

Hawk269

I am confused with your settings Vuze. If you have a Sony, it should trigger the HDR mode, which is different that Game Mode. On my Sony 940d, when the game loads my TV changes to HDR mode and you cannot change that mode. When a non-HDR signal is sent to my set, I can choose any mode from game to HDR. But with HDR enabled my set always goes to HDR mode. So even though you have those settings under Game Mode, if the TV switches to HDR mode, those are not the settings the TV is running under, unless your particular Sony model has a HDR-Game mode?? Which would be the first I am hearing that for any Sony TV.

Hawk269

Are you a Vuze sure you are in HDR mode? From my understanding, on Sony sets once HDR is engaged, you cannot change it to game mode or any other mode, it is greyed out in the menu to change it. It basically locks it in. You can change some of the settings within HDR mode, but it does not allow you change the actual mode itself.

Are you a Vuze sure you are in HDR mode? From my understanding, on Sony sets once HDR is engaged, you cannot change it to game mode or any other mode, it is greyed out in the menu to change it. It basically locks it in. You can change some of the settings within HDR mode, but it does not allow you change the actual mode itself.

On the X800D you can change modes. I am also able to verify that HDR is on because the icon shows up in the top right corner.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
It won't be accurately represented of course, but we can better grasp the relative differences. The photoshops on Twitter that simulated it are useless.

With HDR on, the pictures of screens will be: Colors will look a bit too saturated, brights too bright, and darks too dark.

Vuze

I am confused with your settings Vuze. If you have a Sony, it should trigger the HDR mode, which is different that Game Mode. On my Sony 940d, when the game loads my TV changes to HDR mode and you cannot change that mode. When a non-HDR signal is sent to my set, I can choose any mode from game to HDR. But with HDR enabled my set always goes to HDR mode. So even though you have those settings under Game Mode, if the TV switches to HDR mode, those are not the settings the TV is running under, unless your particular Sony model has a HDR-Game mode?? Which would be the first I am hearing that for any Sony TV.
It definitely is in HDR mode, judging from the highlighted bright elements alone and the TV shows input info when switching from
SDR to HDR.
From what i understand, for your model HDR mode is a differentiated picture mode (like Vivid, cinematic etc)? That's strange. For the XD80 atleast, HDR is an individual global setting that is not preventing any picture modes from being applied.

Sturtiebe

Hi

Does my TV support HDR Samsung UE40JU7100

Its say everything ok with HDR 10 but its so dark and not colourfull ?

I am doing something wrong ?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
OK, Vuze's image above is exactly what it looks like on my TV, except the white box where the HDR Brightness calibrator is looks bright white.

Are you sure your TV is in HDR mode? The colours will look muted if the TV is not actually displaying HDR.

I have an LG TV and I had to go into the settings and turn on Deep Color to make HDR work.

Did you do the 4k check on the Xbox?

ghibli99

My impression of HDR was similar to DF's... underwhelming and kinda washed-out looking (the sun in the opening shore area looked absolutely horrid). That's OK, though... the game's still a stunner in SDR.

hesido

Why.. How did they screw that one up, and how can an ordinary consumer know this shit.

iMax

Are you sure your TV is in HDR mode? The colours will look muted if the TV is not actually displaying HDR.

I have an LG TV and I had to go into the settings and turn on Deep Color to make HDR work.

Did you do the 4k check on the Xbox?

Yep, everything checks out. HDR signal on the TV, green ticks in Xbox Settings all the way.

iMax

OK, here's a couple of comparison shots illustrating the issue I'm having. Note: these are not screenshots—these are manipulated images that directly reflect what I'm experiencing on my KS9000.

To reiterate, the TV is telling me it's receiving an HDR signal and I'm getting green ticks all the way in settings.

HDR Disabled

7OqVZmD.png

HDR Enabled

lMZHci3.png

The above is exactly what the in-game settings screen looks like for me. As you can see, with HDR enabled the peak whites are still being 'hit'—however this appears to be at the cost of almost everything else in the image. The result is super bright rays of sun but dim, grey clouds, and a dark environment.

This appears to be occurring at an OS level, not just in this game. Everything on the dashboard is darker until switching to another app, when HDR is disabled and everything returns to normal.

This is most prominent in Game Mode, Natural Mode, and Movie Mode. It's a little less noticeable in Standard and Dynamic.

Oh, and just to make things even more bizarre, my in-game screenshots with HDR enabled look fine on both my TV and my computer. Nice and bright, unlike some I've seen. God knows what's happening here.

edit: to clarify, yes 'HDR brightness' only appears when HDR is activated. The above is a single image that I have manipulated to demonstrate the issue I'm having. Ignore the content in the screenshot. It's the colour disparity I'm trying to emphasise here.

Top Bottom