• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 HDR impressions

Caayn

Okay, I've done a couple of tests. And came to the following observation:

XB1 RGB-full + HDR = washed out
XB1 RGB-limited + HDR = not a great HDR effect but it doesn't look terrible either.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

XB1 RGB-limited + HDR = not a great HDR effect but it doesn't look terrible either.
The general consensus is that full RGB on the XB1 is essentially broken, so that sounds about right.

un1que

Mine is fine. Post your settings

I'll put the full list up tomorrow but I use PC mode because to me it's the only mode that displays colours correctly.

What are your Xbox and e6 settings?

Strange a lot of people are having similar problems, gives me hope it's a glitch that can be fixed

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

I don't think full RGB on XBO/XBO S is working correctly for anyone. HDR or no.

killroy87

So quick update for me. Friendly Gaffer BlindSwordsmanZ messaged me and asked if I had tried playing in Vivid mode while in HDR on my set (Sony XBR55X850D). I hadn't because as far as I knew you can't switch picture modes (Game, Cinema, Sports, etc) while in HDR, which is true. What I didn't know, however, is tha tburied in the advanced settings, are two options; "reset in HDR mode" and "reset HDR in Vivid mode". Those might not be exact wordings, but it was something like that.

I had no idea these settings existed, but I tried resetting in Vivid mode, and now it's all perfect! The colors are vibrant, and the HDR is gorgeous. I know my set doesn't have the absolute best approximation of HDR, but simple A/B testing of Forza with it on and off in Vivid mode is like night and day. It's incredibly pretty.

So for iMax, who was having the same issues as me, it might be worth looking for a setting like that. It'll be really hard for me to play in non-HDR mode from now on.

Heidern98

Ok. So I forgot to turn off motion blur effect on a couple of the SDR shots. I also may have set the calibration poorly on the HDR shots, since I did it late at night and it was after raid fatigue set in. But here is some of how the image appears differently between the two settings. SDR is first, HDR is second. Taken with the iPhone 7 Plus on an LG 65UH9500.

29909849032_4da41b74a2_h.jpg

29396825343_1bbd84575e_h.jpg

xion4360

I was having trouble with HDR too but last night I finally got that "ooohhhhhhh" moment with HDR. I get it now. I still get the feeling the implementation in FH3 is a bit weak, but still, so many people in this thread must have not set it correctly because I dont think it looks washed out at all, its just not as RGB as before, or dense color with less gradient between it all.

One thing im definitely noticing is that the developers try to make the picture pop more by making all of the colors quite vibrant. in HDR the colors arent as intense overall but its the actual lighting that looks more natural and realistic. Some things really pop like neon lights, but its not necessary to make the entire image very vibrant to get that point across, like in real life. theres almost a sense of the light coming from the sun actually going through the tv and hitting you in the face, as opposed to looking at a picture of the sun or something..like the lighting is in HD along with the resolution. This does have a bigger impact than just seeing a sharper image, because it gives you a more realistic image.

ajmiles

Neo Member
The issue with faded screenshots and GameDVR clips when playing the game in HDR mode has been addressed internally and a fix should be available in a dashboard update in the near future.

What isn't expected (until that update) is for screenshots in HDR mode to appear correctly. If you're seeing "correct" screenshots (i.e, not faded like BlindSwordsmanZ's HDR screenshot) and a washed out image on the HDR TV itself then drop me a PM. I can you to a list of people who I might contact for some further details on things like TV model and Video settings if we need any further information.

Vuze

I don't know how HDR/SDR screenshots work, I just know my HDR version of the game never looked that dim.
It doesn't look like in the HDR screenshot on the actual display.

Do the self-test. Take a screenshot while in HDR mode, then view it on your PC/Xbox. You will see a similarly faded version of your perfectly fine in-game image.

Wonko_C

i see mention of RGB settings in this... what should we make those on the TV/XBOX one?

I am on a samsung ks8000 in game mode

Seconding this, a friend just purchased that same TV. How should he set it up to get the best look and lowest input lag possible on this TV?

For people who have a Sony x850c TV? When I watch UHD Blu-Rays the TV automatically switches to HDR. Doesn't happen when starting Forza. Anyone running into the same issue?

I have the same TV and was wondering the same thing. Had to switch my TV to HDR mode manually. But my GOD does the game and HDR look good! The colors are the best I have ever seen in a video game. And this is a 2015 "midrange" TV!

HDR is clearly the future! It is not a gimmick.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
i see mention of RGB settings in this... what should we make those on the TV/XBOX one?

I am on a samsung ks8000 in game mode
Standard on Xbox, Black Level Low on the TV

Karak

I have the same TV and was wondering the same thing. Had to switch my TV to HDR mode manually. But my GOD does the game and HDR look good! The colors are the best I have ever seen in a video game. And this is a 2015 "midrange" TV!

Ya its funny most I know who didn't have it set up right posted on my video and were like AH HA" Instant notice lol

Karak

Game looks stunning in HDR . I really don't get how people can't see it or make out otherwise

You can easily. I mean its already been shown that it's more noticeable than resolution bumps. It is quite literally instantly a huge upgrade in picture quality. Unless your taking a screenshot lol

Especially if you already have a high-end television or monitor.

You can easily. I mean its already been shown that it's more noticeable than resolution bumps. It is quite literally instantly a huge upgrade in picture quality. Unless your taking a screenshot lol

Yeah spot on It does look beatiful , more so when you move the slider in the game menu . The game looks stunning not a 4K game changer, but still lovely and stunning none the less

Krakatoa

You maybe simulating HDR, as the signal that's sent to the TV from the Xbox should tell the TV that's its a HDR signal.

ajmiles

Neo Member
You maybe simulating HDR, as the signal that's sent to the TV from the Xbox should tell the TV that's its a HDR signal.

Some TVs will not report HDR support until particular settings are set on the TV (usually on a per-HDMI input basis).

I played the demo of FH3 earlier, and the game looks much better now. Also I have the HDR sliders in the Forza menu. I think it's the real deal. It has to be, it looks so good.

EDIT: actually, the strangest thing happened when I booted up the game now: my TV automatically switched to HDR this time. I don't know why it didn't do that before. This is my 4th or 5th time booting up the game.

Raven77

Hdr looks good but it kind of just remind me of going into your color settings in your tv and cranking them up high. I can't decide if it looks good enough to upgrade my tv for.

LoveCake

From the screenshots it seems that sometimes HDR looks better and sometimes it doesn't, but most of the time it seems that some elements like the car looks better in HDR but the landscape looks better in standard.

Rsinart

Playing on my new S with my new KS8000, I think it looks great in HDR I can see a difference and not sure why so many say it looks bad.

I have the same TV too and the HDR is amazing but the input lag is a abomination... 90 ms , 0 accuracy in driving with this input lag... :(

dlbeast

I had the x850D at the moment, becasue of the insanely high input lag, I am planning to take it back to the store this weekend and wait until black friday. Was going to swtich it with the ks8000, but the demo they had running at the store did not impress me at all. They actually showing HDR video of Alberta where Im at which was a nice touch. However the picture was super grainly and overly sharpen. Remind me of my old Samsung that would not allow me to turn off its edge enchancer no matter what. Motion is defintely one huge advantage the X850D has over my last LG so, picture and detail stays razer sharp in fast motion which is very important for game only for a small sacrifice in brightness. If only sony would come forward and officially state that they can decrease the input lag of the x850D down to the same level as 1080p game mode via the upcoming Android 6 update, I am not going to risk this 1500+ investment.

+1 for Alberta! :)

etta

my hard graphic balls
Finally, some comparisons, thank you guys.

So basically the colours are more punchier, they are more vibrant while keeping the natural look. It looks really nice.
😐
... and it allows for a wider range of colors, of course. (forgot that part)

Caayn

Finally, some comparisons, thank you guys.

So basically the colours are more punchier, they are more vibrant while keeping the natural look. It looks really nice.

... and it allows for a wider range of colors, of course. (forgot that part)
Games are still limited to 8bit colour, even in HDR mode.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Ok. So I forgot to turn off motion blur effect on a couple of the SDR shots. I also may have set the calibration poorly on the HDR shots, since I did it late at night and it was after raid fatigue set in. But here is some of how the image appears differently between the two settings. SDR is first, HDR is second. Taken with the iPhone 7 Plus on an LG 65UH9500.

Nice shots, I got similar results with my UN65HU8700+SEK3500.

How did you replicate most scenes almost exactly between on and off? I just drove to the same locations every time, can you save replays or something?

I think HDR looks worse *whistles*

It's not subjective, its just HDR has more detail.

That is like saying "I think 480p looks better than 4K" its objectively false.

filly

samsung ks8000 (in the uk/europe its ks7000).
After trying many many things, but advice is to change the input type to PC and make sure you change your sliders on the forza video menue.

Also in video setting on the xbox itself goto advanced video settings in the video setting menu. In mine case I got a lot of x's the first time, chaning the source it to UHD color fixed the issue.

HDR is stunning, its crawled in my mind so much that when i am driving past car lights and looking at the sky in the real world, I think of how forza manages to look just as good. Very happy with this all in genral. I also have a 1080gtx on my PC and I have opted to stick to the xbox one s because the quality of HDR is far more staisfying than 4k.

All amazing really.

ghibli99

Not sure how I missed it, but thank you to everyone who mentioned the HDR slider in-game.

After messing with that and the settings on my TV, I think it's now working and displaying correctly. :) I know you can't truly capture it in a screenshot, so I tried to approximate what I'm seeing with some Photoshop adjustments:

9Git3KM.jpg

I took this picture to get extreme bright and dark areas. The sun area is more blown out in this shot than it appears on my TV, but the shadow detail in the heavy foliage area is defined and nice without it looking flat. Color vibrancy is also richer without looking like Toussaint in The Witcher 3, especially when it comes to the skybox. Blues are deep and nicely saturated vs. SDR.

Anyway, I'm not rocking OLED or even a high-end HDR set, but at least now it's looking more like it's supposed to instead of dark, washed out, and underwhelming.

xion4360

I recorded the same race twice with my phone in HDR and played back the videos side by side. this is the kind difference HDR makes and its not totally impossible to capture somewhat with pictures, just doesnt fully get the point across like when your seeing it first hand and in motion.

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

Untitled23.png

the SDR game looks over bloated with color and it looks cartoon by comparison when you play in HDR, the color is much more natural with far more realistic shades or light and dark.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The difference you're seeing could be accounted for by calibration. I don't see that.

Again, because you're looking at non-HDR pictures on a non-HDR display. There is a difference in person.

kinggroin

Banned

Um...why is that I can see the difference on my phone? The HDR shots show way more detail in highlights without blowing out

Top Bottom