• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5 Official Announce Trailer

Derift

4K/30 or 1440p/60

What's the problem?
people arent really keeping the same energy.... when it was ratchet and clank or horizon forbiden west people were very quick to jump on the framerate but now that its on there favorite box no one is mentioning the 30fps fidelity mode.... now all of a sudden its "beautiful" not to mention the lack of raytracing being abit weird....

MaulerX

people arent really keeping the same energy.... when it was ratchet and clank or horizon forbiden west people were very quick to jump on the framerate but now that its on there favorite box no one is mentioning the 30fps fidelity mode.... now all of a sudden its "beautiful" not to mention the lack of raytracing being abit weird....

Exactly. I just don't get it.

Oh and for the record, the Forza Horizon 5 demo they showed at the show was actually the 60fps mode. And it looked that good.

kyoji

quoted for truth, it looks great but like you said it will be interesting to see if people hold the game to the same standard as we saw in other threads with some very interesting nit picking going on. Im a big proponent on just using the good ole eyeball test so for all these ray tracing obssessed people and 60fps native 4k should be the standard tech ppl i expect the same energy.

also i stand behind forbidden west being the best looking game shown 'at e3' i wont say ratchet only because its not similar enough art direction wise to be a fair comparison otherwise its hands down the best visually appealing game out.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
You can also expect powerful, all-new graphical features like HDR captures of the vibrant Mexican sky, sweeping vistas, and an unparalleled attention to detail. Available in 4K 30 FPS on the Xbox Series X (1080p 30 FPS on Xbox Series S) with an optional 60 FPS performance mode, and ray tracing added to cars in Forzavista, you will be immersed in the open world of Horizon like never before.

No raytracing in gameplay, even at 30fps.

GT7 so far?

vlcsnap-2020-10-12-21h05m26s655.png

vlcsnap-2020-10-12-20h59m05s067.png

vlcsnap-2020-10-12-20h59m59s884.png

And those from youtube's compressed video, not direct feed

It still look very nice, despite the aggressive pop in/out and no raytracing. It's better to wait for both games to release then compare before spouting outrageous claims, although both are kinda different with one being arcadey open-world and the other circuit sim racing. Also GT is much bigger and one of the largest, most pristine eSports in gaming.

In any case, this the the best game shown so far on their conference.

its an open world game and you comparing it to a track game. both games are doing different things, compare Gt to proper Forza

Graphics are nice but they were in 4 and the gameplay is pretty terrible.

Why can't they just make a racing game instead of a 'driving fun' game where no one cares if you come last and you can't even see your best lap times etc.

Such a waste.

To elaborate a little, I really tried to like 4 but there's no point in even trying to take corners well as you progress no matter what. I ended up being bored in every race. No tension, no challenge, no point

It's all style over substance but I guess that's what the kids want.

Last edited:
I am not sure about it, Dirt5 also did have RT I think but if I remember it barely made any difference. Hopefully this is good benchmark for racing games. Mercedes one was the new car but IMO the car models in gameplay are little disappointing.
Its not just having rt its hiw you use it. Putting rt on games with bad art direction doesnt fix anything

scalman

Wonder what forza engine they using now , previously they where like using new forza engine for cars. Is it part on new forza 8 engine here i wonder? They should do full realistic driving option as in real forza for people who rly love to feel cars. Gameplay demo looked very arcady in handling.
Still gonna play it no matter what just would want that more realistic option

At last, we have a true next-gen experience from MS and a game that really shows off the Series consoles.
Can only imagine how good Turn's 10 Forza game is going to look

Brilliant showcase from a wonderful team

MonarchJT

Banned
You can also expect powerful, all-new graphical features like HDR captures of the vibrant Mexican sky, sweeping vistas, and an unparalleled attention to detail. Available in 4K 30 FPS on the Xbox Series X (1080p 30 FPS on Xbox Series S) with an optional 60 FPS performance mode, and ray tracing added to cars in Forzavista, you will be immersed in the open world of Horizon like never before.

GT7 so far?

vlcsnap-2020-10-12-21h05m26s655.png

vlcsnap-2020-10-12-20h59m05s067.png

vlcsnap-2020-10-12-20h59m59s884.png

And those from youtube's compressed video, not direct feed

It still look very nice, despite the aggressive pop in/out and no raytracing. It's better to wait for both games to release then compare before spouting outrageous claims, although both are kinda different with one being arcadey open-world and the other circuit sim racing. Also GT is much bigger and one of the largest, most pristine eSports in gaming.

In any case, this the the best game shown so far on their conference.
gt is an closed circuit racer it compete with Forza motorsport (which will have RT) For years now the Forza series has surpassed gran turismo in terms of quality

NGL, that shit was pretty damn photo realistic that I was caught off guard at some instances where you see an establishing shot transition into driving the car.

I think I might get this.

Why can't they just make a racing game instead of a 'driving fun' game where no one cares if you come last and you can't even see your best lap times etc.

Such a waste.

To elaborate a little, I really tried to like 4 but there's no point in even trying to take corners well as you progress no matter what. I ended up being bored in every race. No tension, no challenge, no point

did you set the drivatars to hard?

Robb

Gold Member
The tech they use for their foliage/rocks etc is just fucking absurd.

I’m a bit fucking blind, but I legit thought this was an actual video of Mexico when they were talking about recording the 12k cloud footage for the game. It’s not. It’s in game.

7vad9Q3.png
Yeah, I'm not big on car games but that shot in particular was impressive to me. When the cars started driving in to the scene I was like;
blink-182 wtf GIF

Pretty cool what they can do these days.

ZywyPL

Banned

Such a waste.

Apparently that's what people want nowadays, games with no concrete goal, without heavy emphasis on competitiveness etc., just mindlessly messing around for hours, Horizon is one of the most popular racing franchise nowadays. But luckily for people like you and me, we will be getting a full-fat next-gen-only FM8 next year.

Fredrik

The tech they use for their foliage/rocks etc is just fucking absurd.

I’m a bit fucking blind, but I legit thought this was an actual video of Mexico when they were talking about recording the 12k cloud footage for the game. It’s not. It’s in game.

7vad9Q3.png
Yeah I’m in full hype mode, looks insane in so many ways. And imagine that these guys are also making Fable! 🤯

Yeah, I'm not big on car games but that shot in particular was impressive to me. When the cars started driving in to the scene I was like;
blink-182 wtf GIF

Pretty cool what they can do these days.

Agree, actually I thought it was just a live recording from the surrounding that was going to be transitioned into the gameplay video, just because of the animation of the water flow in the river which seemed real, so when I saw the cars driving in to the scene my jaw dropped

Last edited:

acm2000

That could be an argument in FH4 vs DC comparison.
FH5 is next gen game with car shading/materials/paint is worse than in pastgen game
we get it dude, you dont like forza's art style because its not gran turismos sterile crispy "realistic" vision

Rolla

Banned

No Ray tracing during gameplay? This has to be a typo.

scalman

cant believe from all new games showed allready and yet to come this is like only one new racing game... so sad times for racing game fans rly...we will have like 3,4 new racing games to next year 2 of them will be forza games... i mean how pathetic is racing game list.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
its an open world game and you comparing it to a track game. both games are doing different things, compare Gt to proper Forza
And the environments in GT7 looked like ass comparatively, had far more pop in too.

Would have much preferred Motorsport over horizon though.

Horizons drooling 'hurrr im smashing priceless hypercar through bushes' target audience doesn't suit me in the slightest. Between that and there being no decent driving roads since everything needs to be a 12 lane super highway for 400kmh cars gets tedious and boring quick. In fact, I was turned off hard by FH3s recreation of the Great Ocean Road. One of the best driving roads the world over turned into a 17 lane highway :sick::sick:

Fredrik

Apparently that's what people want nowadays, games with no concrete goal, without heavy emphasis on competitiveness etc., just mindlessly messing around for hours, Horizon is one of the most popular racing franchise nowadays. But luckily for people like you and me, we will be getting a full-fat next-gen-only FM8 next year.
Don’t be so negative, it’s different genres, both IPs can coexist, I’m looking forward to FM8 as well.

FH is a racing playground, arcadey, made to have fun. As a racing fan I think it’s great for the racing genre since pure arcade racing is more or less dead now, it’s a mix, not arcadey enough to be silly and not serious enough to be boring. Even though I play simulators on three screens with wheel etc I sometimes just want to sit in the sofa with the kids beside me and just do crazy things with a car without having to worry about the perfect racing line or tire wear etc. I love it!

And the environments in GT7 looked like ass comparatively, had far more pop in too.

Horizons drooling 'hurrr im smashing priceless hypercar through bushes' target audience doesn't suit me in the slightest. Between that and there being no decent driving roads since everything needs to be a 12 lane super highway for 400kmh cars gets tedious and boring quick. In fact, I was turned off hard by FH3s recreation of the Great Ocean Road. One of the best driving roads the world over turned into a 17 lane highway :sick::sick:
You're getting a next gen exclusive Forza 8 next year. Leave us zoomer casuals and our Horizon alone :messenger_tongue:

phil_t98

#SonyToo

I think horizon the right way to go for the first racing game from in house. Let them work longer on perfecting the next forza, they really gonna have to show off next gen with that game and make it next gen only

Fox Mulder

that’s why you enjoy games for what they are. It’s still a gorgeous open world sandbox with neat cars and racing. I still enjoyed it for what it is and stuff like the eliminator battle royale is fun.

Don’t be so negative, it’s different genres, both IPs can coexist, I’m looking forward to FM8 as well.

FH is a racing playground, arcadey, made to have fun. As a racing fan I think it’s great for the racing genre since pure arcade racing is more or less dead now, it’s a mix, not arcadey enough to be silly and not serious enough to be boring. Even though I play simulators on three screens with wheel etc I sometimes just want to sit in the sofa with the kids beside me and just do crazy things with a car without having to worry about the perfect racing line or tire wear etc. I love it!
But it's not just that is more arcadey and relaxed, it's that there's no draw, no pull, no in game reason to play it at all as far as I could tell. It's boring. You might as well be watching a video of fake cars driving around.

I like arcade racers and this isn't that. It's barely even racing! It's driving to races and then having a 'race' that isn't timed or ranked or recorded and doesn't matter for progression.

Utterly boring and pointless

xrnzaaas

Gold Member

Such a waste.

They're making a game for everyone to enjoy and it's been working given the series explosion of popularity since FH3.

Unfortunately it's not the best game if you want a racer that rewards you for winning and being a good driver in general.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Apparently that's what people want nowadays, games with no concrete goal, without heavy emphasis on competitiveness etc., just mindlessly messing around for hours,
But that's what many racing games were in past? What concrete goal you had in NFS2?

betrayal

Banned
I'm looking forward to FH5. Looks really good. It won't make me buy an Series X because you can play everything on a semi decent PC, but it is one of the best exclusives.
I still think that some titles should be released a bit later for PC. That would push console sales a bit.

Last edited:
They're making a game for everyone to enjoy and it's been working given the series explosion of popularity since FH3.

Unfortunately it's not the best game if you want a racer that rewards you for winning and being a good driver in general.
But everyone can't enjoy it. I can't. I tried for eight hours and just didn't see the point after I'd had my fill of the graphics.

You can't even feel good/smug about having a dope car as you get them right from the start anyway.

I honestly don't know how to play the game and what to do in it for more than ten hours.

Talk about taking an exciting subject matter and sucking all excitement out of it

ZywyPL

Banned

I'm not negative at all, that's just the reality. I've seen dozens of examples, from 5 to 35 year olds, who are technically playing the games but actually not doing anything meaningful for hours, and, FH is one of those kind games, along with GTA5, Minecraft, Roblox etc., that's why those games exist and are so popular, because there's a massive audience who wants to be connected with other people, but not in a competitive manner. You just drive around, crash into each other, do some challenges every now and then and have fun, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, especially with so many different titles to chose from - you want a sophisticated SP campaign, there's FM, you want robust competitive online, there's GT Sport, you want a sandbox experience, there's FH, and so on.

Oh, so, when they show the north canyon with zoom In Rock and river is in engine? then it transition into gameplay. That when I thought wow, this look really next gen. If this is the case, no wonder the other tracks look one gent below that, but still look good. When I watch this in 4k, I can see flaw and low resr texture on other tracks, but the car model look good though. I say they will show plenty of gamplay tomorrow, we can clearly see how it look without the cutting.

And people told me that i'm trolling the thread when i said there are low res textures.

Top Bottom