• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5 Official Announce Trailer

John Wick

I meant more in relation to FH5; just going back to the GT7 footage and comparing it with FH5 they look massively apart and both are cross-gen games, and that's with Horizon 5 also being open-world.

That said they're two different types of games and we might get a chance to see GT7 this year with some visual updates. I'm not saying it looks bad, mind, just not up to Horizon 5's level, and if the next Motorsport can hit near the fidelity from its reveal trailer then that won't have too much issue besting GT7 visually, either IMHO.

Like I said, I'm not saying GT7 looks bad by any means. However I didn't know my expectations for visuals in a racing game this soon could be exceeded as much as they have because I couldn't have counted on FH5 raising the bar as much as it did.

I know some people are using caveats like "it's 30 FPS" (it has a 60 FPS Performance Mode option) and "no RT" (even though RT doesn't automatically make a game look better or even more realistic. Games like Demon's Souls Remake look fantastic despite being both current-gen only and NOT having RT), but those are just weird takes IMO, considering the results on display.

They could technically add RT later on if able, similar to what they did with FS 2020, but I think it should be clear by now that you don't absolutely need RT for a game to look "next-gen". The UE5 demo from last year also didn't feature RT but is still one of the best showcases for 9th-gen visual fidelity we have. Why do these terms suddenly change when Forza Horizon 5 enters the picture, looks fantastic in spite of missing some things like RT, and has options for 60 FPS for the more competitive players?
So you've based your whole premise on an early build showing of GT7 which was showcased over a year ago at least. It'll probably release in 2022. So you expect GT7 not to improve vastly in visuals in that time?
FH5 is pretty much nearly ready. Must be a near complete build. It does look fantastic indeed.

molly14

Wow,just seen this,the graphics are mind-blowing.

Need to upgrade the TV from 55inch to 75 inch to fully appreciate the 4k graphics!

ZywyPL

Banned
Note to Polyphony Digital: how on earth are the MS studios able to ship like 6 (outstanding) race games over a short period and you guys are working on Gran Turismo games for ages. I swear it's like you are assembling the cars yourself.

Probably redoing all the cars from scratch to be PS6-ready.

ZywyPL

Banned
Redoing all the cars? It's PD we are talking about.

Exactly, PD, the same guys that said the GT5 cars are already PS4-ready, only to redo them anyway for GT:S, saying this time they are already prepared for PS5, there's very little chance they won't do it once again for GT7 and will want to make models with new hardware in mind. And the remodeling car models is what takes so much time, hence there are less and less of them in each installments.

Gek54

Really weird that wheel forcefeedback on the Series X is horribly gimped compared to the One X. At least this is true for the Thrustmaster TX. Horizon 4 on the Series X is probably the worst after the December update broke the dampening setting. 6 months later and they either don't care or don't know what they are doing.

Every racing game feels better on the One X.

Series X sucks the fun out of driving. :[

Shmunter

Really weird that wheel forcefeedback on the Series X is horribly gimped compared to the One X. At least this is true for the Thrustmaster TX. Horizon 4 on the Series X is probably the worst after the December update broke the dampening setting. 6 months later and they either don't care or don't know what they are doing.

Every racing game feels better on the One X.

Series X sucks the fun out of driving. :[
That’s weird. If it’s universal, surely there must be an outcry from enthusiasts?

Gek54

Thrustmaster support has acknowledged the issue but says it's out of their control.

Seems its all upto Microsoft to fix it since its only an issue for the Series X from what I understand.

It numbs the force feedback, like a bad filter, effectively diminishing confidence when pushing cars to their edge. It was noticeable in Assetto Corsa and Forza 7 as well. You don't get that same sense of connection between you the car and the road.

Maybe some software driver issue on the Series X?

I ordered the Fanatec CSL DD hoping it's a Thrustmaster issue...guess we will see in November.

Last edited:
So you've based your whole premise on an early build showing of GT7 which was showcased over a year ago at least. It'll probably release in 2022. So you expect GT7 not to improve vastly in visuals in that time?
FH5 is pretty much nearly ready. Must be a near complete build. It does look fantastic indeed.
I'm basing my judgement on the reality of things facing us the public as we have seen up to this point. And again, I've not said GT7 looks bad; it actually looks pretty good to me.

But, what they showed doesn't look as good as what we just saw from Forza Horizon 5, timing of showings aside, I can't fathom this is a controversial statement. I'm sure GT7 will be improved visually by the next time we see it, but that doesn't mean it'll be as impressive on that front as FH5, either.

Both possibilities can co-exist; if they show more of it in the near future and it's really at that level or even better, that's solid. But I can't go off what it could look like in the future, only off of what we've actually seen so far as a public.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Forza Horizon 5 will take place in Mexico, with you traversing snow peaks, tropical jungles, beaches, and both historic and modern cities. Forza Horizon 5 will include murals, music, and other cultral touchstones of Mexico created by Mexcian artists. We learned more about Forza Horizon 5's Event Lab, which allows users to create their own games within Forza Horizon 5. Forza Horizon 5 releases 11/9/2021

Last edited:

ultrazilla

This game alone will make me buy the Series X. I love the Forza Horizon series and 5 looks freaking stunning.

Yeaaaaaaaah give it to me!!

ZFqzYp1.gif

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Forza Horizon 5 dropped a lot of info on us during E3 from all new game modes, to breaking down why Mexico is the most diverse location in a Horizon game to date. Here's everything you need to know about Forza Horizon 5 and all the details so far.

Forza Horizon 5 is coming this November, and considering there hasn't been a Forza game since Horizon 4 back in 2018, there's a lot to unpack with the latest entry in the series. From a brand new gameplay designer mode in Forza Event Labs, to what Playground Games claims is their most diverse and beautiful location to date with the game's setting in Mexico, Forza Horizon 5 brings a lot of new offerings to the franchise. Forza Horizon 5 is drifting into the scene exclusively to Xbox and Windows platforms and seems determined to make a lasting impression on racing fans all over. In this video we dive into just what makes Mexico the perfect choice for Forza Horizon’s latest map, and the biggest elements of the game you need to get hyped about.

brender

Neo Member

According to the technical analysis of this Brazilian developer, who also uses his own AIDA (Artificial Intelligence Detailed Analysis):

Gameplay does not have Ray Tracing
Ray Tracing only in Forza Vision mode (photo mode)

Terrain and sky photogrammetry are excellent and accurate (they used thousands of images at 12k resolution)
Images that differ very little from a real image (given the amount of 3D objects, the levels of rock and ground detail present in the game, all this is possible for SSD, PCI EXPRESS 4.0 and I/O flow)
Most likely using DirectX 12 Ultimate Sample Feedback Streaming to get this image quality
High index of SSR (Screen Space Reflections), the car glass mirrors the inverted scene very efficiently and with good resolution
100% dynamic lighting (frame by frame the lighting changes)
Depending on the region you are in, the sky is totally different in terms of luminance
The HDR of this Forza Horizon 5 is impressive, given the heat scales (Whoever owns an HDR TV above 400 nits will have an amazing gaming experience)
High index of SSR (Screen Space Reflections), the car glass mirrors the inverted scene very efficiently and with good resolution

From what I understand from what he explained in the video
Highly colored images, color and white images, as well as black and white images, display light sources and levels

Some screenshots

Terrain and sky photogrammetry are excellent and accurate (they used thousands of images at 12k resolution)
Images that differ very little from a real image (given the amount of 3D objects, the levels of rock and ground detail present in the game, all this is possible for SSD, PCI EXPRESS 4.0 and I/O flow)
Most likely using DirectX 12 Ultimate Sample Feedback Streaming to get this image quality

SXpNC4t.jpeg

gpIB441.png

gCmx49M.jpeg

UeN1bKR.jpeg

WacTkET.jpeg

fwxEgTz.jpeg

ZxeTaU8.jpeg

YIIjbhO.jpeg

4uJOje6.jpeg

ThS0Q5k.jpeg

0uxbLRG.png

AomfVav.jpeg

lnaBKMO.jpeg

x1lBTx2.jpeg

q4rDsRg.jpeg

100% dynamic lighting (frame by frame the lighting changes)

paKLCGs.jpeg

Xg2N8Kb.jpeg

Depending on the region you are in, the sky is totally different in terms of luminance

dYMMNvh.jpeg

3BuDAlw.jpeg

cV9te3S.jpeg

The HDR of this Forza Horizon 5 is impressive, given the heat scales (Whoever owns an HDR TV above 400 nits will have an amazing gaming experience)

lrCicmJ.jpeg

9HyInFq.jpeg

MOTM

Banned
This is a joke, did you see the new footage? 60fps base and 120fps multiplayer.
The trailer was good. But it took them 6 years to be able to present something that was up to standard quality wise. All the studios I mentioned work magic a lot faster and with half the staff.

343 can learn something about project management from those other studios. I mean surely a Halo game shouldn’t take as long to develop as a game the size of Starfield for instance, which is the point they are at now. 6 years in the making!

The trailer was good. But it took them 6 years to be able to present something that was up to standard quality wise. All the studios I mentioned work magic a lot faster and with half the staff.

343 can learn something about project management from those other studios. I mean surely a Halo game shouldn’t take as long to develop as a game the size of Starfield for instance, which is the point they are at now. 6 years in the making!
I'll agree if the game isn't massive in scope and ambition, we shall see.

Alan Wake

Weather effects are always cool to see. But not that fun to drive in.

Am I the only one who thought he said "sprinkling of brain". :)

I don't see any other racing franchise beating these graphics anytime soon

Other arcade racing/sim racing devs take notice. Thats how u do graphics in game.

easily. looks way better than GT7.

this is the way to do cross gen games imo. downport instead of up port last gen versions. the world detail is insane and no way in hell you would see that in last gen consoles.

the city doesnt look as next gen though.
Yup its way better looking especially when it comes to environment details

This game looked stunning and I loved how the developer was explaining the work put in for the visuals. This is what I wanted to see from more Xbox Studios but sadly I did not get it.

Forza Horizon is the best IP Microsoft has its far above all over racing games. Playground are so talented.

Son, Do you even Flight Sim from Asobo?

You will get stunning looking games from Ninja theory. Hellblade 2 will melt eyes.

Starfield confirmed to be in-engine using ingame assets. So it will look great im sure.

Id studios games will look stunning and they helping Arkane on Redfall

Machine games will make stunning looking Indiana Jones.

Coliation, best UE 4 and soon will become best UE5 devs.

Not long before MS takes the crown of graphics in every genre. Just have to wait and be patient.

Last edited:

None of us knows how big the Halo game, it sounds like the maps in the new Halo are huge. It takes Polyphony Digital 5 to 6 years to make a racing game and even then, PD need to use car assets from the previous-gen

MOTM

Banned
None of us knows how big the Halo game, it sounds like the maps in the new Halo are huge. It takes Polyphony Digital 5 to 6 years to make a racing game and even then, PD need to use car assets from the previous-gen
Let’s see how big Infinite is .. That said PD aren’t really a studio known for their efficiency or quality of their games VS the amount of time it takes them. Further goes to show what a powerhouse Playground Games are.

Leyasu

Banned

I don’t know why you got a lol emoji for this comment. You are spot on. 6 yrs for a halo game is incredible.

Project management at 343 needs a ginormous fucking shake up or a complete new team. The overshoot should have been identified in advance and support brought in earlier. They need to get this out and then rebuild the top team.

This is discussion is way off topic though

Last edited:
Let’s see how big Infinite is .. That said PD aren’t really a studio known for their efficiency or quality of their games VS the amount of time it takes them. Further goes to show what a powerhouse Playground Games are.
Well, it's already said to be bigger than Halo 4 and 5 combined. So we'll have to see on that one. PD in contrast take years to make their games and last-gen could only manage one game, just like 343 and before that took 6 years to make GT 5 and that was a bug-ridden mess and still have to use car models from GT4.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

As good as this looks, I dont think the forest levels comes close to the screenshots. Maybe its the lighting which makes it look cartoony.

51244941553_e234bcb5c0_o.png

I want to see the xbox one versions. Forza 2 on xbox one was a generational leap over the xbox 360 version. I am wondering if we will see a similar downgrade for xbox one versions.

sainraja

He leans (bias) heavily towards anything Xbox. I'd take anything he says with a grain of salt or at-least temper it a little. :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom