• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon - Fall 2012 - Developed by PlayGround Games

Fox Mulder

I'm down for it being an arcade racer like TDU or PGR.

TDU was kind of a shit racing game with untapped potential and appeal hiding in the open world online concept and real world location. I'd love for that concept to be executed competently by a company with money.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I'm thinking/hoping Out Run 2006, but with less arcadey handling and a more seamless world.

I don't think so, the concept seems to be very different and Microsoft was looking into reviving the PGR franchise specifically. At this point I'd say it's probably going to be a launch title.

i'm with big takeover on this. i think the pgr 5 and forza rumors were on in the same. MS may have originally wanted it branded as pgr before deciding forza has more name recognition these days. pgr was always a series that covered the "world" in its locations and it makes no sense to have both a new pgr and forza world

damn it, seriously, Forza 4 just came out last year....

You can now check off forza, halo and fable from the list of the only four exclusive ip's they use.

All that is left is gears and that makes up the whole "4 top exclusives returning" bullshit.

pgr was always a series that covered the "world" in its locations and it makes no sense to have both a new pgr and forza world

Forza Motorsport also covers the world in its locations. PGR was primarily a street racer, the rumors and the trailer for Horizon seem to suggest that this game mostly takes place outside of cities. I don't think the two series overlap to any great extent.

Miles X

damn it, seriously, Forza 4 just came out last year....

You can now check off forza, halo and fable from the list of the only four exclusive ip's they use.

All that is left is gears and that makes up the whole "4 top exclusives returning" bullshit.

But does it really matter when they're taking a fresh approach? It's clearly not going to be a traditional Forza, and Halo looks like a reboot.

Look at Assassin's Creed 3 response, people were getting burnt out with that franchise but it's fresh enough to get a lot of nay sayers on board with just a few screenshots.

I'd wait to see footage of Halo 4 and Forza Horizon before judging.

op_ivy

Forza Motorsport also covers the world in its locations. PGR was primarily a street racer, the rumors and the trailer for Horizon seem to suggest that this game mostly takes place outside of cities. I don't think the two series overlap to any great extent.

you are assuming that if there was a pgr5 it would be set up like the previous games...

you may be right, there may be, or may have been, a pgr5 in development that is entirely separate from this, but from MS's perspective, it doesnt make much sense to have 3 games featuring cars in there portfolio

But does it really matter when they're taking a fresh approach? It's clearly not going to be a traditional Forza, and Halo looks like a reboot.

Yeah, it sounds like a completely new game (or IP, if you will), that only uses the Forza brand for recognition purposes.

you are assuming that if there was a pgr5 it would be set up like the previous games...

Yes, that's exactly what I'm assuming and I think that's a fair assumption to make.

Three racing titles does sound like a lot (four if Joy Ride ever makes a comeback), but at the same time, it would provide Turn 10 with an opportunity to have longer development cycles for their main racing franchise.

Cptkrush

The turn 10 at the intro leads me to believe they at least have a hand in it, please be the physics department. Options for arcade and sim handling would be nuts, and probably the first of its kind. Also, Porsches in the footage, EA is done with Shift, so let's hope we get to take some out on the highway. Either way, if Turn 10 is even slightly involved with ex-codies and bizarre, i'm sold.

Oh, and CLASSIC MINIS!

I'm thinking/hoping Out Run 2006, but with less arcadey handling and a more seamless world.

I don't think so, the concept seems to be very different and Microsoft was looking into reviving the PGR franchise specifically. At this point I'd say it's probably going to be a launch title.

I think the PGR rumor probably stemmed from a report of "UK racing game dev working on unannounced title for Microsoft". With Forza Horizon now on the table, I think that it for top secret racing games.

op_ivy

Yes, that's exactly what I'm assuming and I think that's a fair assumption to make.

Three racing titles does sound like a lot (four if Joy Ride ever makes a comeback), but at the same time, it would provide Turn 10 with an opportunity to have longer development cycles for their main racing franchise.

definitely a fair assumption. also fair would be to say that MS may have been interested in rebooting the franchise with a new studio behind it. pgr had definitely faded in popularity over recent years and with activision purchasing bizarre, and latter their studio closing, i think its at least equally plausible that pgr, as it was, is dead.

MS wont have 3 racers. that i'm 100% sure of. forza has always had a 2 year cycle and i dont see that changing (unless a title slips). this forza horizon will alternate years with forza and offer a more accessible arcade experience, not unlike pgr

No, it stemmed from this report.

so, late 2010 for MS looking to revive PGR? any idea on the timeline for initial "forza world" rumors?

saladine1

Yep, it seems the PGR 5 rumor is somehow tied with Forza Horizon.

In a way, I'm happy to see something totally fresh here. Open world racing with varied time of day and FM4 physics would be amazing.
I wonder what type of racing modes will be featured?

op_ivy

Yep, it seems the PGR 5 rumor is somehow tied with Forza Horizon.

In a way, I'm happy to see something totally fresh here. Open world racing with varied time of day and FM4 physics would be amazing.
I wonder what type of racing modes will be featured?

did the rumors actual specify open world, or was that an assumption based on the title?

MS wont have 3 racers. that i'm 100% sure of. forza has always had a 2 year cycle and i dont see that changing (unless a title slips). this forza horizon will alternate years with forza and offer a more accessible arcade experience, not unlike pgr

Well, I don't think that's how it's going to be because there's already too much fuel to the PGR5 fire, but let's wait and see.

so, late 2010 for MS looking to revive PGR? any idea on the timeline for initial "forza world" rumors?

Mid 2001.

did the rumors actual specify open world, or was that an assumption based on the title?

Yes.

Meanwhile, Eurogamer has heard an open world driving game called Forza World is in development at UK developer Playground Games, helmed by ex-Codemasters racing studio executive producer Gavin Raeburn.

saladine1

I remember this:

The survey, in what appeared to sound out what people might want from a Forza 5, also asked respondents to rate their interest in an open-world Forza Motorsport game, which allows drivers to go anywhere on the open road, as opposed to closed-circuit racing.

Kotaku has contacted a Microsoft representative to ask if any of these features can be confirmed in the new game or eliminated from it. Any reply will be updated here.

Update: Microsoft tells Kotaku:

Turn 10 is always exploring new ideas and concepts to push the racing genre forward in innovative ways. While we have fielded a few surveys to gauge consumer interest in different features for future versions of "Forza Motorsport," nothing that has been reported is necessarily going to make it into any future version. We will have more to share on "Forza Motorsport 4" soon.

I'd never seen that before, but I'm still going to guess these are one and the same. Who else out there can realistically be developing PGR?

Lucid? Slightly Mad could be another candidate, or one of Microsoft's new studios (some people are even suggesting Rare, who've gotten some racing devs recently). Personally, I'd like to see what Sumo Digital could do with it.

i assume you meant 2010?

I think May 2011 was the first time we've heard of Forza World.

EDIT: Although the survey that saladine1 mentions came earlier, yes.

Lucid? Slightly Mad could be another candidate, or one of Microsoft's new studios (some people are even suggesting Rare, who've gotten some racing devs recently). Personally, I'd like to see what Sumo Digital could do with it.

I think May 2011 was the first time we've heard of Forza World.

It's pretty funny that's on their FAQ page! Weird.

We'll see. Everyone loves PGR. We all want to see it get made.

legbone

god i hope this is the cannonball run/gumball rally game that i had hoped nfs the run would have been. we know how that turned out. hope this is good.

god i hope this is the cannonball run/gumball rally game that i had hoped nfs the run would have been. we know how that turned out. hope this is good.

I would definitely be happy with this. Hopefully we will get a steady stream of information and not just complete silence until E3.

Shaneus

trailer put together by assembling istockfootage clips. yay.

guessing: multiplayer open world sandbox environment for fm4 cars. hope you will be able to import those in your garage (including paintjobs) in Horizon. Also hope physics stay the same.

maybe downloadable, to use with fm4 disc ?

also, will be 30fps

btw, were those porsche's or ruf's in the trailer ?
Since we first saw the stock footage trailer for Forza, I've learned that they're not worth a pinch of shit. Remember how excited people were that off-road rallying would be included?
BTW I was about to ask the same thing about the RUF/Porsche but you beat me to it. It was too obvious a reference to something Porsche-shaped... but again, we know that these trailers are put together by marketing types and not necessarily people directly associated with the game.

Ah, the guy responsible for the piss filters and the weightless cars with central-pivot handling.
Oh, dear-god no.

Given all of the above, there were certain parts of that video clip that reminded me a hell of a lot of the PGR4 introduction, namely the squelchy electro and the focus on flourescent lights and that sort of jazz. To be specific, the car scenes that are around the 27s mark.

I hope that in some way the style and driving model from PGR4 makes it in, even if it is open world. Something slightly arcadey that isn't a turducken like TDU2 would be amazing.

Edit: This dude's doing art? Fucking sign me up NOW. No idea who he is, but Bizarre and Wipeout 2097? Two influences I want in my games. Lead UI guy worked on some shockers (frontend-wise) though :( And too many of their design guys are either from Codies or are graduates :/

Last edit: Also interesting to note that Eamon Urtone, the guy who did the R.I.P. Bizarre video (as well as a lot for them in-house) is credited under cinematics for Forza 4. There ya go.

legbone

btw, were those porsche's or ruf's in the trailer ?

pretty sure those were RUF's. i watched it several times trying to figure that out. i saw no porsche branding at all. only the word turbo. of course i didn't see any RUF branding either. maybe they are working on getting the porsche license.

cilonen

Seeing as it's actually called a "Tone" trailer, I'm fairly sure it's to capture and present the tone they're aiming for rather than being representative of actual cars (Porsche) present in game. Even more so considering it's made up from stock footage.

Still, a 'good' TDU2 would be awesome.

saladine1

Seeing as it's actually called a "Tone" trailer, I'm fairly sure it's to capture and present the tone they're aiming for rather than being representative of actual cars (Porsche) present in game. Even more so considering it's made up from stock footage.

Still, a 'good' TDU2 would be awesome.

I'm pretty sure that's the case too.

Either way though, it seems like a weird 'trailer' to release/leak to the public. It looks more like a pitch vid to the publishers or something.
I hope we get something more recent and substantial come lift embargo time...

Xun

Sounds interesting.

Also in regards to another ex-Bizarre place (Lucid Games) I posted this in the PGR thread earlier:

Are you making sequels to any of the games you made at Bizarre Creations?

See "What are you working on".

What are you working on?

When we announce what we are developing this will show up in the main news page. We will also tweet and post on our Wall. Follow, Like or Bookmark us to catch our updates.

http://www.lucidgames.co.uk/faq.aspx

It really wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft has got them working on PGR5 (perhaps with other teams), even despite Forza Horizon.

op_ivy

I'm pretty sure that's the case too.

Either way though, it seems like a weird 'trailer' to release/leak to the public. It looks more like a pitch vid to the publishers or something.
I hope we get something more recent and substantial come lift embargo time...

with it releasing this year, we had better!

also, just noticed the rumored pgr5 was supposed to release 2012, so yeah, i'm convinced it was the same project

I did. ;)

As I said I don't think they'd want to work with Activision again, so that rules out Geometry Wars/Blur/007 in my eyes.

I agree. I'm not sure Sega wants another The Club so that leaves us with PGR, Boom Boom Rocket (yeah...) or some of their ancient games. Or hey, maybe they're not working on an old Bizarre property.

Xun

I agree. I'm not sure Sega wants another The Club so that leaves us with PGR, Boom Boom Rocket (yeah...) or some of their ancient games. Or hey, maybe they're not working on an old Bizarre property.
Pretty much, yeah.

The only reason I think they could be doing something Bizarre related is because they would've said "no" otherwise.

Now I know that's not exactly evidence for it, but it just got me thinking.

amar212

Ah, the guy responsible for the piss filters and the weightless cars with central-pivot handling.

He is much more responsible for being mastermind behind TOCA becoming GRID and CMR becoming DIRT. And because of that I can't help being sceptical about any project he leads.

But without him in the picture, I can't wait to see this game.

bolak

I know for a fact the Mk1 Mini is in the game as one of the devs at Playground Games recently made some queries at various Mini forums requesting original,untouched Mk1 Minis to be included in the game..
Finally! Four Forza games without a Mini is absurd.

talan619

Neo Member
PGR5 was rumored to be a next-gen xbox launch title.

if it was true,there is no changes to be show in the MS Showcase event.

sneaky77

I think PGR will come back and this is not it. They don't gain anything from moving away from the PGR brand into the forza brand, because while some of the audience is the same, is not the same, they should leave the Forza brand to sim stuff and PGR for arcadey stuff

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Good to see MS trying new things, exploring new IPs and genres.

That....trailer made me un-hyped.

Seriously. That was a terrible trailer.

Footage please.

Awful trailer, no doubt. They should've just shown clips from the various NFS games if that is the tone they're going for.

But we know nothing about the game from the trailer. I hope it is a cool experience nonetheless.

Top Bottom