• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 2 Screenshots... yes, they're REAL

PnCIa

meh.
Seriously those pics are not impressive in any way, XBox 1.5 arguments are justified with this one.

Gek54

m0dus said:
Seriously, man, you didn't even notice the middle shot has no blur . . .

That's at 720p, 60fps, and hell, it may still not be content-complete, graphics-wise.

I did notice, I would be happy if that shot represents the final look of gameplay, no blur and all. I love that offset hood with the detailed (60fps) reflections. Blur is really the only graphical qualm I would make an issue. Now get that DFP/G25 working and we are gold.

PG2G

I could probably make excuses for this game if it was 2005, but it isn;t. I'll buy it, but this is pretty damn disappointing.

Wollan said:
You know, actually he really doesn't. 60fps in 1080p with 20+ cars is still quite, quite comparable. Even if the assets are of lesser quality(the cars not that much actually) it is still quite a reasonable comparison. And PD made that shit in 3 weeks.

Legitimate Question:

Is it easier or harder to make a good looking model that can take damage? Like, can PD pump up a static model because it's less complex than a model that has to take active damage at (what was it?) 120fps?

Angelcurio

BenjaminBirdie said:
What on the sweet planet Earth in these screenshots tells you that they aren't doing the same thing again? An extended online experience? Live Anywhere integration? Weekly Tournaments? That's raising the bar. Comparing tire textures? That's not raising any kind of bar. You will be driving down a track at 200 mph. How the tires REACT to that road (360fps, last I heard) that's raising a bar. You are seriously focusing on the wrong things.

You only focus in the online part of the game. Do you honestly think that a game is only good based on its online portion? better not tell something like that to gran turismo fans whose 100% racing experience has been in the offline mode.

Also , this game is supposed to be a graphical showcase of the 360. The game is suppossed to look leaps and bounds better than GT4, but right now is "game am failed".

And about developer promises, could you tell me where the Global Illumination? what About HDR? and judging from first sight looks, it doesnt seem to have AF either, even though i am not quite sure about it.

Wollan

Of course it takes more resources having damage but if you're asking me if it's a harder job for the artist I would say it's only a matter of needing more time to do all the damage modeling.

Pachinko

Car models looks pretty slick but the backgrounds are drab, the question is do we need volumetric grass at 60fps with motion blur or not ? Those roadside textures ARE bland, there's no way around that .. bland enough to perhaps be placeholders.. I suppose only time will tell.

I must add that although I enjoy most racing games the forza/gran tourismo mold is one that I do not much care for.

Angelcurio said:
You only focus in the online part of the game.

Me said:
How the tires REACT to that road (360fps, last I heard) that's raising a bar.

Would that this were true, my friend.

Angelcurio said:
Also , this game is supposed to be a graphical showcase of the 360. The game is suppossed to look leaps and bounds better than GT4, but right now is "game am failed".

That's clearly your opinion. I really wouldn't cast a judgement on a racing game's relative success or faliure as a graphical showcase by screenshots. But that's only because games are played in motion and not on flash cards.

At least at my house.

Of course it takes more resources having damage but if you're asking me if it's a harder job for the artist I would say it's only a matter of needing more time to do all the damage modeling.

I was asking you about the first part. I don't think it has anything to do with any kind of texture artist. This isn't illustration, it's manipulating photographic data.

PG2G

DopeyFish said:
well in the august 19th update they stated that those 2 were 'many' of the new-fangled effects that were activated

So hopefully these were the shots that were sent out for print (over a month ago) and we'll get some newer stuff tomorrow.

Angelcurio

DopeyFish said:
HDR and 3d grass was activated after these shots were taken
Now if this is true, then i will give them the benefit of the doubt and wait until the next batch of screens (and maybe videos) are released, since i suppose that the next showing of the game will have those things enabled.

X26

Banned
good looking racer at 60fps > great looking racer at 30fps

although I hope in the end this (and GT5) can do both (look amazing and run at 60fps)

puebla said:
if what you say is true than the game could look stunning running at 60 fps.

Apparently that ship has sailed. Game am failed.

(That rhymes! I'll definitely be using that in my next rap battle.
A chance to succeed?
That ship has sailed.
Your style is like Forza 2
Your rap am failed.
)

Was anyone stupid enough to actually expect Forza to compare graphically to GT5??

GT4 (arguably, I suppose) looks better than Forza. GT4 is on freaking PS2! GT is always a premiere title graphically.

puebla

My Arms Your Hearse said:
Was anyone stupid enough to actually expect Forza to compare graphically to GT5??

GT4 (arguably, I suppose) looks better than Forza. GT4 is on freaking PS2! GT is always a premiere title graphically.
your whole post is stupid. gtfoh

something still doesn't seem right with these shots. The backgrounds just are so far lower quality than the car model, i gotta believe this isn't how it'll really be.

Weren't official screenshots supposed to arrive tomorrow? or are these those shots?

Pimpwerx

I see compliments for the car models, but that's the off-putting thing about these shots to me. Trackside details are a non-issue IMO. The visuals will improve in that area for sure, so people whining are jumping the gun completely. The problem is the cars still look off. It's the modelling itself. There's something to be said for taking lots of shots of the came car from small increments in angles. The cars have to look real from all angles, and some stuff just looks off. The fender flares on that BMW look too large, for instance. The lighting will improve and give the cars a more solid look as well. They look paper-thin right now, if you know what I mean.

There's lots that will improve, and I don't see a reason to worry. But I don't see the improvements on the art side that I was expecting. It must be really, really hard to model a car right. PEACE.

Last Hope

m0dus said:
Seriously, man, you didn't even notice the middle shot has no blur . . .

That's at 720p, 60fps, and hell, it may still not be content-complete, graphics-wise.
Well it isn't the best looking game but more than acceptable if it does run at 60fps.

God damn I hate blur.

Wollan

gketter said:
Weren't official screenshots supposed to arrive tomorrow? or are these those shots?

I guess these screens had a purpose(if the new ones have grass, lighting..etc) as they clearly separate the wheat from.. whatever the term is. I can't believe people are saying it looks great in it's current state shown here.

puebla

gketter said:
something still doesn't seem right with these shots. The backgrounds just are so far lower quality than the car model, i gotta believe this isn't how it'll really be.
i'm with you. if that's how the textures will really look than wow just wow, i'd be shocked.

gketter said:
Weren't official screenshots supposed to arrive tomorrow?
yes

gketter said:
or are these those shots?
i'd like to know also.

Wollan said:
I guess these screens had a purpose(if the new ones have grass, lighting..etc) as they clearly separate the wheat from.. whatever the term is. I can't believe people are saying it looks great in it's current state shown here.

Yea, i was expecting a lot better, considering Forza 1 looked so good. Maybe it should be called Forza HD until they decide to improve it. I'll be shocked if this game doesn't get delayed

All i know is if this was shown as a PS3 game, the entire community (on both sides) would blow up and not be pleased (low textures, not even close to cg teaser E3 trailer, etc), but suddenly people are willing to be patient.

Wollan said:
I guess these screens had a purpose(if the new ones have grass, lighting..etc) as they clearly separate the wheat from.. whatever the term is
I really, really hope it. I was expecting to see something photorealistic, with great lighting and all, and what we get is Forza HD. Except for framerate, imho (and it's a strong imho, I know) TDU looks better than this.

Gek54

As for the offset camera on that hood view shot. Do they sell an Infinity G35 with right hand steering?

Klocker

gketter said:
well now they've taken down the pics. So it seems that they jumped the gun and these ARE the official pics.

jump_to_conclusions.jpg

if these are the pics tomororrow I will happily eat crow. :D

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
gketter said:
well now they've taken down the pics (the non thumbnail ones). So it seems that they jumped the gun and these ARE the official pics.

but they are for a MAGAZINE

do you not understand? These are supposed to be exclusive to the MAGAZINE

Klocker said:
jump_to_conclusions.jpg

if these are the pics tomororrow I will happily eat crow. :D

Well their site said this:

"Update : Looks like someone was a bit too eager to put these screens online, as they weren't supposed to be released until tomorrow. If you missed them, you'll have to wait a few more hours :)"

So we'll see :)

GhaleonEB

gketter said:
Well their site said this:

"Update : Looks like someone was a bit too eager to put these screens online, as they weren't supposed to be released until tomorrow. If you missed them, you'll have to wait a few more hours :)"

So we'll see :)
che said:
I can also say that there will be exclusive screenshots next Tuesday you won't see in any print mags (meaning we're grabbing them from the latest build and not trying to make a magazine's long lead deadlines from a month ago).
I take that to mean, different.

Faizal

Banned
Pics look very dull. They're missing something....

Gran Turismo pics always had the ability to set your heart pumping whenever you first see them. These pics completely fail to do that.

sinseers

BlizzyAzz said:
Not really impressed by those screens, but well its a racing game have to see it in motion first, PGR3 screens were hot tho.

Those shots do look nice, but for some reason I really like the camera work and subtleness of the GT car models. DP has come a long way and I personally can't stand the gameplay of it. But I recognize hard work being put in when I see it. Can we get some GT shots for comparison just for yits and giggles? Please?

If those are the official shots, they need to get the lighting sorted out. Am I the only person that really liked the lighting in F1 PS3? it made the game look more of a jump up from this gen.

HokieJoe

che said:
I can also say that there will be exclusive screenshots next Tuesday you won't see in any print mags (meaning we're grabbing them from the latest build and not trying to make a magazine's long lead deadlines from a month ago).

GhaleonEB said:
I take that to mean, different.

Hmmm, I smell some pwnage coming.

Carefully tuned, tire-smoking, 500BHP pwnage exiting Turn 10 and ready to rumble down the front stretch. :D

hadareud

The Translator
travisbickle said:
If those are the official shots, they need to get the lighting sorted out. Am I the only person that really liked the lighting in F1 PS3? it made the game look more of a jump up from this gen.
I think you are

that's not to say that I like the lighting in these shots, but the f1 game looks like utter shit.

HokieJoe

ypo said:
well he is the Xbox Viral Marketing Manager* so...

*I meant community manager

Cheap shot much?

*rollseyes*

At least he gets paid for his viral marketing. What's your excuse?

I mean seriously, During the time I've been here, Che has been a good contributor to this board. So were do you get off calling him a viral marketer? He never made a secret of who he works for.

RaijinFY

m0dus said:
forza22.jpg

Seriously, take this shot, add HDR on top of the FULL RES 720p 60fps (PGR, I'm lookin' at you) and you will have a thing of pure beauty, naysayers be damned.

I agree, HDR makes things a lot better.

m0dus said:
forza22.jpg

Seriously, take this shot, add HDR on top of the FULL RES 720p 60fps (PGR, I'm lookin' at you) and you will have a thing of pure beauty, naysayers be damned.

Man, you know someone's going to do it. I would if I could. This calls for some serious Photoshop magic, as much as I agree with you.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
the pics are down for me, does anyone have anyother link or can anyone rehost? please

Top Bottom