• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 Demo Discussion Thread

alterno69

Banned
Apr 2, 2007
5,704
0
0
Great demo, never been a fan of the game but this demo almost sold me on it. Graphics are great, nothing amazing with so many jaggies but good enough for me.
 

·feist·

Member
Nov 26, 2006
3,551
0
0

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Feb 14, 2009
56,110
0
800
duderon said:
Simulation, manual w/ clutch

Where is the clutch? I tore my transmission a new one with that option on while trying to shift. Does it do the clutch automatically or something?
 

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Mar 10, 2005
19,089
62
1,710
alterno69 said:
Great demo, never been a fan of the game but this demo almost sold me on it. Graphics are great, nothing amazing with so many jaggies but good enough for me.
Must be something wrong with your TV set then. Almost perfectly jaggy free on my 1080p Sony Bravia.
Have you got the sharpness control turned full on or something.
 
Feb 5, 2009
32,312
0
1,015
I wasn't blown away by the graphics to be honest. The lighting just looks odd from my angle, especially when using the Ferrari - from the rear it was just bright red, you couldn't tell any detail or reflections on it.
 
May 9, 2008
1,076
0
0
Just played it over lunch. My goodness it looks great. LOVE the menus and the more mature feel of the game. It feels like Turn 10 are really on top of their game. Loved it!
 

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Feb 14, 2009
56,110
0
800
Milpool said:
I just noticed if you press left on the dpad you get a drift meter.
Yeah, and if you leave it on and drift you get a PGR style "points" system for your drift.

It seems Turn 10 is appealing to the "drift" people that tried to drift in the totally un-driftable Forza 2. Good for them! :lol
 

Diablohead

Member
Jun 4, 2006
43,514
0
0
This demo made me re-adjust my custom settings for my samsung lcd, the game looked brilliant but I had a little too much colour going on for F3, I toned it down and the red's on cars looked even better.
 

Rizob

Member
Jan 13, 2008
51
0
0
London, England
Definitely seems more jaggy compared to Forza 2, but i think that's down to the increase in detail. I'm enjoying it so far though but i wish they gave us a few more laps to allow our tyres to warm up! Has anyone figured out how to see the leaderboards yet? Being able to compete with my friends list would definitely help to extend the life of this demo and i'm sure it was mentioned as being a feature.
 

Psychotext

Member
Jun 15, 2007
35,934
0
0
Diablohead said:
This demo made me re-adjust my custom settings for my samsung lcd, the game looked brilliant but I had a little too much colour going on for F3, I toned it down and the red's on cars looked even better.
The reds do seem to be oversaturated. I'm not changing my settings for the game though... I had the TV calibrated on the 360 and I'm not messing with it again. :lol

gollumsluvslave said:
Does anyone know if the demo supports the Microsoft 360 Wheel??
Yes. (It's a little obvious really!)
 

rjcc

Member
Jul 21, 2006
1,845
1
0
Ziploc said:
How the HELL do I remap my controls?

Edit: You fucking can't. What a fucking killjoy.

Fuck this.

you couldn't in the demo for 2 either iirc.
 
May 9, 2008
1,076
0
0
Rizob said:
Definitely seems more jaggy compared to Forza 2, but i think that's down to the increase in detail. I'm enjoying it so far though but i wish they gave us a few more laps to allow our tyres to warm up! Has anyone figured out how to see the leaderboards yet? Being able to compete with my friends list would definitely help to extend the life of this demo and i'm sure it was mentioned as being a feature.

More Jaggies? Not sure we were playing the same game.
 
May 14, 2006
1,808
0
0
Holy crap, this game is super sexy..much better then Forza 2 imho. Also its silky smooth and plays rock solid..oh god this is gonna be a blast to play once it hits retail..loving the demo :D
 

DuckRacer

Member
May 24, 2007
8,597
0
1,060
Good game, great graphics. I'm a little disappointed with the damage, though – after slamming the Porsche into a fence at 110MPH and making it roll over multiple times, I shouldn't be able to catch up and overtake my opponents. Yeah, it shifted slower and didn't accelerate as fast, but after such a crash I shouldn't be able to race any more, period. Oh well.
 

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Feb 14, 2009
56,110
0
800
Ziploc said:
Left bumber. After a few clutchless shifts your gears will go in very slowly.
Ah, that explains the Left Bumper Damage/Tire Temp switch to the Right d-pad, thanks! Now to try that mode again and not fuck my car over! :lol

OH MY GOD! You can see through the track with the "slow rotate" camera while climbing up the last hill of the track! What the hell, Turn 10! :lol (Not that that isn't normal for games, but still jarring for it to happen in replay mode)
 

rjcc

Member
Jul 21, 2006
1,845
1
0
DuckRacer said:
Good game, great graphics. I'm a little disappointed with the damage, though – after slamming the Porsche into a fence at 110MPH and making it roll over multiple times, I shouldn't be able to catch up and overtake my opponents. Yeah, it shifted slower and didn't accelerate as fast, but after such a crash I shouldn't be able to race any more, period. Oh well.


what difficulty level and what level did you have the damage on when you did that? Probably not the highest. Sooo...what did you expect?
 

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Jun 6, 2004
7,448
0
0
TheSeks said:
Where is the clutch? I tore my transmission a new one with that option on while trying to shift. Does it do the clutch automatically or something?
You have to hold down the left bumper when shifting up or down. Just like if you had a clutch pedal in a car, you'd have to have it pressed down in order to change gears.
 

Red Blaster

Member
Jun 6, 2005
22,555
1
1,170
How come the damage is just a model swap with the side mirrors/spoilers coming off? I thought there was gonna be actual deformation.
 

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Dec 7, 2006
27,115
0
1,290
www.vertigogaming.net
Red Blaster said:
How come the damage is just a model swap with the side mirrors/spoilers coming off? I thought there was gonna be actual deformation.
Maybe for next-next gen. But not in this gen of consoles...that'd be wayyyyy too taxing.
 

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Nov 5, 2005
52,177
0
0
SF Bay Area
TheSeks said:
It seems Turn 10 is appealing to the "drift" people that tried to drift in the totally un-driftable Forza 2. Good for them! :lol
Isn't there a group out there that specialized in drifting, and had no issues in Forza 2? Of course, they probably tuned the hell out of the cars to do so, but they're supposed to be the group responsible for creating the drift trailer.
 

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Feb 14, 2009
56,110
0
800
duderon said:
You have to hold down the left bumper when shifting up or down. Just like if you had a clutch pedal in a car, you'd have to have it pressed down in order to change gears.

Trust me, I know what the clutch is. I just didn't know where the clutch was on the 360 controller.

Now that I've had a proper "clutch" race without tearing my transmission out, I have to say the addition is good... with the exception of braking. I think I'm used to downshifting while breaking and the way I hold the 360 controller means I can't hit the bumper while braking. I think it's more "brake while going into turn, as you're going through/before you accelerate, downshift to "catch" the engine and then accelerate while shifting back up.

Slightly annoying, but it's more immersible than "manual" controls (like the "manual" in FM3, in fact) used to be. GT take note, if you don't have this in GT5 def. add it to GT6, I could see it becoming a control scheme for those that want to play with a racing wheel (or just want to shift up/down with a clutch).

XiaNaphryz said:
Isn't there a group out there that specialized in drifting, and had no issues in Forza 2? Of course, they probably tuned the hell out of the cars to do so, but they're supposed to be the group responsible for creating the drift trailer.
There is, but what I mean is that Forza 2's physics make it damn near impossible to "drift" in that outing. It's doable, but you have to tweak the hell out of your car to get it to do it (instead of being "easy" to do in Forza 3, you can drift the demo cars here, I'm not sure if they're tweaked/tuned).

I can't say for the trailer. I'm not a car sim nut, so I don't follow the GT/Forza communities with a close eye.
 

FunnyBunny

Member
Jun 2, 2005
2,063
0
0
Holy Snapple Cakes!

I'm sold; Forza 3 looks great and is a blast to play. I did not like Forza 1 and played Forza 2 (demo) for the first time this week. I am blown away.

Forza 3 features the first cockpit view I actually like and the game succeeds on many levels. There is a great sense of speed, the cars feel great and there is a terrific sense of racing. Computer drivers do not stick to the same racing line. Instead, the bob and weave -- looking for an opportunity to overtake you or other computer drivers.

It's terrific to be in third place, see the 2nd place driver get too aggressive and take a turn too wide -- allowing you to zoom past.

I am absolutely in love.

Oh, and to the person who mentioned the lack of detail in the behind the car view -- you may need to adjust your television, as stated earlier. It looks great on mine. The lighting is far better than many of screens Turn 10 released so far.
 

rjcc

Member
Jul 21, 2006
1,845
1
0
chubigans said:
Maybe for next-next gen. But not in this gen of consoles...that'd be wayyyyy too taxing.
It can be done, at least far better than it is done, but the manufacturers don't want it.
 

DuckRacer

Member
May 24, 2007
8,597
0
1,060
rjcc said:
what difficulty level and what level did you have the damage on when you did that? Probably not the highest. Sooo...what did you expect?
Medium AI, simulation damage. Granted, I was already in the lead when I crashed, so when I started accelerating again the last place car just rounded the corner then. But still.
 

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Jun 6, 2004
7,448
0
0
TheSeks said:
Trust me, I know what the clutch is. I just didn't know where the clutch was on the 360 controller.

Now that I've had a proper "clutch" race without tearing my transmission out, I have to say the addition is good... with the exception of braking. I think I'm used to downshifting while breaking and the way I hold the 360 controller means I can't hit the bumper while braking. I think it's more "brake while going into turn, as you're going through/before you accelerate, downshift to "catch" the engine and then accelerate while shifting back up.

Slightly annoying, but it's more immersible than "manual" controls (like the "manual" in FM3, in fact) used to me. GT take note, if you don't have this in GT5 def. add it to GT6, I could see it becoming a control scheme for those that want to play with a racing wheel (or just want to shift up/down with a clutch).
I agree with your sentiments on the addition of the clutch. Braking and downshifting is difficult. I'm using my index finger to do both and I have been steadily improving. I still seem to bork some downshifts, but it's fun to try and master another gameplay feature.
 

Psychotext

Member
Jun 15, 2007
35,934
0
0
DuckRacer said:
Good game, great graphics. I'm a little disappointed with the damage, though – after slamming the Porsche into a fence at 110MPH and making it roll over multiple times, I shouldn't be able to catch up and overtake my opponents. Yeah, it shifted slower and didn't accelerate as fast, but after such a crash I shouldn't be able to race any more, period. Oh well.
I'm not sure how that happened with sim damage on. When I did it my car wouldn't go more than 5mph. Game over.
 

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Dec 7, 2006
27,115
0
1,290
www.vertigogaming.net
rjcc said:
It can be done, at least far better than it is done, but the manufacturers don't want it.
Well that could be the case too. I'm not sure why people get hung up on crash details anyways, especially in a game like Forza where you can rewind after a brutal crash.
 

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Feb 25, 2007
13,214
1
0
Australia
Playing on a 1080p Bravia here. Had to change color, picture and brightness a fairbit but game looks amazing!
 

Rizob

Member
Jan 13, 2008
51
0
0
London, England
bigGIRLSblouse said:
More Jaggies? Not sure we were playing the same game.
Forza 3 demo @1080p on a calabirated 46" Sony X2000. It's most apparent with the mountains in the background. It's not a game killer but i definitely find it more noticeable after putting a lot of hours into Forza 2 lately.

Apart from that i'm loving it. The AI seems a little too 'brake happy' even set to Medium with this course, when it only seemed to be like that on Easy mode in Forza 2.
 

Diablohead

Member
Jun 4, 2006
43,514
0
0
Any wall head on crash over an average speed gives me a red engine if it's at the front of the car, I think the R8 was a little less prone and went to yellow because it has a rear engine which did not soak up most of the impact.

Really wish we had that online scoreboard, while the demo is wicked awesome it would hold me until next month with a scoreboard.
 

ExtraKr1spy

Banned
Dec 6, 2008
1,541
0
0
Load times get faster after a few races it seems. First time I played it took about 30 seconds to load but after a few races its now about 7-10 seconds.

Tales of Vesperia is similar when you install it to the HDD. Whenever you boot up the game the first battle you fight will take a bit of time to load them everything else speeds up.
 

Drastic

Member
Dec 5, 2008
481
0
730
In the night sky.
>Really wish we had that online scoreboard, while the demo is wicked awesome it would hold me until next month with a scoreboard.

I thought the demo had a leaderboard for Live players?