• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 Demo Discussion Thread

Anybody remember how many types of replay cameras were there in Forza 2?

I tried Lancer. Almost had a rollover. I tried to rewind and recreate it but couldn't.

thuway

Hanmik said:
http://i37.tinypic.com/2w6bh46.jpg

is this with full damage..? or only minor damage..? couldn´t find that info anywhere here.. I hope it´s minor damage..

I don't want to turn this into a "Damage" war, but seriously, thats enough damage for my tastes. Its mostly cosmetic, the allure to these games is the way these things drive, getting to race, and getting a good feel for something that 99% of the population will never own.

Let it go son.

Dabanton

MirageDwarf said:
Anybody remember how many types of replay cameras were there in Forza 2?

Lol you playing around with them too,love the roof cam.

Don't think Forza 2 had a wheel cam did it?

Gowans

I've been thinking about it and the rewind for me works as a much better learning tool than the line.

I've been playing on hard then turning the racing/braking line off and winning them all. The demo is defiantly making me feel like a better sim racing driver than what I am.

I think with the rewind instead of the line you aren't just following instruction but learning and relearning the turns and speeds.

Still keep taking that big left wide far to many times tho.

Dabanton said:
Lol you playing around with them too,love the roof cam.

Don't think Forza 2 had a wheel cam did it?

Yeah. I liked Wheel too. Shows tire movement.

List of type of replay cameras:

Game Cameras
Replay Cameras
Car Close
Car Far
Car Close Advanced
Car Far Advanced
Wheel
Wheel Advanced
Three-Quarter View
Roof
Rear-facing
Helicopter
Reverse Hood
Follow Advanced
Slow Spin
Side Dolly
Pan Across

Chrange

Banned
Had to take some from the replay before going to bed lol

14vmyq9.jpg

4hch91.jpg

333v9cx.jpg

o90qqd.jpg

Objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear:
20j242w.jpg

The car in the side mirror actually appears to distort as it moves through the mirror. Cool effect.

That earlier gif was with damage set to cosmetic. The car didn't take too bad of a beating from that encounter, but it lost a whole lot of parts before I restarted.

Noogy

Having put well over a hundred hours in Forza 2, I have to say this is absolute BLISS!

Wow, I admit I was pretty defensive on Forza 2's visuals when it came out, but these blow it out of the water. There's some really great contrast being used here.

I HATE cockpit view, but I have to say I am really digging it here. I don't know what's different, but man is it beautiful. It won't be my preferred view, but it's very well done.

Haven't raced a whole lot, but handling so far is very well done.

One cool twist... unpausing a race seems to bring you out of a sort of 'slo-mo'... which I like better than a countdown saying 'get ready to race again'.

ChrisRT

This game is straight baller! You can see the tire deform! Rock solid 60FPS, real rendering across the valey!
Paint damage is spot on too.

This is true next gen. I wonder if the others can match this.

Since i am still at work,

is it possible to play the demo on three screens (with three xboxes and demos installed)?

regards,
pettersson

ChrisRT

Always-honest said:
well, downloading now, but the screens are full of them/.....:(

They are there. Make no mistake about that. It just isn't too bad. It is allot better in motion.

Don't blame T10. They did excellent. It is the Xeno's fault. Its only capable of so much.

I kept only ABS on for Lancer. It's nice.

Always-honest said:
well, downloading now, but the screens are full of them/.....:(

Realistic expectation would be to expect it. It still is 100x better looking than Forza 2.

ChrisRT said:
Turn that ish off. No ABS makes it way more fun.

Will sure do next time. I'm playing around with all options. I'm not car geek but isn't ABS common in current real life cars? Want to see if it does give a feeling of driving a real car.

G_Berry

Banned
84% booooooo

Jaggies? also booooo

Anyone playing it in native 720p as in set your 360 to 720p not 1080p?

Does it make a difference to teh jagz??

MirageDwarf said:
Yeah. I liked Wheel too. Shows tire movement.

List of type of replay cameras:

Game Cameras
Replay Cameras
Car Close
Car Far
Car Close Advanced
Car Far Advanced
Wheel
Wheel Advanced
Three-Quarter View
Roof
Rear-facing
Helicopter
Reverse Hood
Follow Advanced
Slow Spin
Side Dolly
Pan Across
Each one of those has multiple too, after picking one just keep pressing A to cycle through a bunch more.

There is easily over 100 angles.

thuway

G_Berry said:
84% booooooo

Jaggies? also booooo

Anyone playing it in native 720p as in set your 360 to 720p not 1080p?

Does it make a difference to teh jagz??

In motion the game will probably look ALOT better.

ChrisRT

MirageDwarf said:
Will sure do next time. I'm playing around with all options. I'm not car geek but isn't ABS common in current real life cars? Want to see if it does give a feeling of driving a real car.

I guess you got me there. It really isn't in many race cars and if you are into tracking your car you usually take that off ASAP. It hampers more then it helps most of the time.

The slo-motion out of pause is well done, but after a rewind the game skips a little bit like forza 2 use to do after playing with photo mode.

Didn't che say the demo has global leaderboards? I don't see any and want to compare some times already.

thuway

This might be a stupid question, but is this on the US store yet? I'm kind of losing my mind here.

and if anyone wants to play ODST with me, let me know :lol

52club

thuway said:
In motion the game will probably look ALOT better.

The game won't look any better you just won't have time to over analyze the graphics. This is evidence that these consoles are getting a little behind current tech.

acm2000

thuway said:
This might be a stupid question, but is this on the US store yet? I'm kind of losing my mind here.

you can use any regions marketplace link.....

RayStorm

What I don't like: The first thing I do before the race is turning on the heat indicators (control pad right *2). After using rewind, that nifty indicator is gone. I would like it to remain where it was.
I also don't like the drafting indicator being gone and the smallish telemetry-kind of bars of forza2 being gone.

Other than that... it's nice to return to a game that actually allows me to race with a car and not against it.

Oh, and the reflection maps when playing in hood cam are distracting me. :(

Dabanton

52club said:
The game won't look any better you just won't have time to over analyze the graphics. This is evidence that these consoles are getting a little behind current tech.

Are you going by the demo or the pics posted in here?

Doodis

thuway said:

I jumped on Live and searched around but couldn't find it anywhere. Then I went to majornelson.com and downloaded it from his link and now it's in my queue.

ChrisRT said:
You will get it soon enough.
To be real with you, it isn't the end all. Its like a refined Forza 2. Don't kill yourself over it.

I haven't played Forza 2, so I'm extremely eager to see how the physics are! :D

52club said:

actually, the game looks incredible seeing it running in real life. far better than any photos or videos i've seen. it's a fantastic looking game and, from what i remember, looks much better than forza 2 based on each game's demo.

i won't comment on the gameplay since i typically don't play sim racers like this, but that may change soon. i want to play with the demo some more, but it seems like this really may be something special.

The demo has ruined Forza 2 for me. :(

My only negative comment is that there is a slight aliasing issue and the colors are a little "bright" for me. But all that goes away once I started playing. Replays look gorgeous.

Drove backwards for a few minutes doing stupid things and managed to flip the CPU (Porsche Cayenne) on to its side. It remained there for the duration of the race, while the other CPU cars did their best to avoid it. :D

Dont think Ill be playing any other driving games till its out next month.

Shawsie64

Banned
schennmu said:
Gold only? Thanks MS.

Yeah i bought a months gold and re bought a 4th 360 (due to 3rd RROD out of warranty) for this game and ODST. Microsoft are really ripping me a new one :lol

Aliaising issues? But it's at least 2xAA I hope?

I will need Gold because I want to play this game and Shift online, so might as well get it now :( :(

schennmu said:
Aliaising issues? But it's at least 2xAA I hope?

I will need Gold because I want to play this game and Shift online, so might as well get it now :( :(

It must be, can't say I noticed any at all. It's a huge step up from Forza 2 in that department.

G_Berry

Banned
Fuck it looks great.

Jaggies are minimal, they are there sure but no way are they intrusive.

The textures on the mountains as you drive look amazing.

60fps also is a mad bonus as is no screen tearing!

We all knew it would kick major ass though!

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Ok, first impressions time.

First, loading, lots of it, bad. When the game does look, 2nd impression...

Whoever doesn't think this isn't a step up graphically from Forza 2 needs to er...play Forza 2 again! The game looks so much better, less jaggies, more detail on the cars and tracks, and is a nice game just to look at, especially at 60fps.

However, the handling is...well, after the insane precision required to play NFS:Shift, trying the Mini was possibly a bad idea, oodles of grip, nothing but understeer if you overcook things, and er...that's it really. I could go off track and the game doesn't punish me half as much as it should.

Anyway, onto the Lancer, let's see what the change-up is like.

Edit: Oh, dear.

Right, The Lancer proves my fears, Forza 3 is indeed just Forza 2 ++ in the handling department, understeer is the worst the game throws at you it seems. While it makes you feel like a great racer (And is quite fun), the races are just that bit more prosaic than I would have liked. Of course Shift is too savage, and this is too kind, and the AI is still scared of Human drivers, grr.

Overall, this will still be worth the money, but one day, a racing game will have this level of polish with everything else there, this isn't quite there, and neither is GT5, but of course, both are worthy games for a racing fan.

Ah well, such is life.

Top Bottom