• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 Demo Discussion Thread

Rad-

This definitely feels different to Forza 2. Forza 2 lacked one major thing (IMO of course) and that was fun. Had one round at this and already was having a blast.

I've been a GT fan for a long time now but this demo says Forza has finally hit that same level as far as pure driving enjoyment goes. What's left now is the season mode and how fun will that end up being.

G_Berry

Banned
Stop It said:
Ok, first impressions time.

First, loading, lots of it, bad. When the game does look, 2nd impression...

Whoever doesn't think this isn't a step up graphically from Forza 2 needs to er...play Forza 2 again! The game looks so much better, less jaggies, more detail on the cars and tracks, and is a nice game just to look at, especially at 60fps.

However, the handling is...well, after the insane precision required to play NFS:Shift, trying the Mini was possibly a bad idea, oodles of grip, nothing but understeer if you overcook things, and er...that's it really. I could go off track and the game doesn't punish me half as much as it should.

Anyway, onto the Lancer, let's see what the change-up is like.

Loading issues? Mine was very quick I mean not slow enough to make it a complaint.

What hdd are you using? Im using a 120 I bought seperate.

thuway

Will this come up on the store? I have a Gold membership but do not remember my email / password for the life of me.

AMUSIX

A few things I noted:

The AI knows where you are and where other AI cars are...fantastic. I even saw three different AI cars handle my impromptu roadblock differently. I had stopped right on the race line on the long downhill approaching the sweeping left. One slowed down and went to my left, the next went to my right, allowing him to maintain speed, and the final one tried to keep speed and go to my left, but couldn't, so clipped me. The second car ended up passing the first just before the turn because of his choice.

However, the AI does not know when it's flipped. Poor Mustang was revving and spinning those wheels for all it was worth...that is, until it got clipped by the Carrera.

The gif earlier in this thread shows the worst of the visible damage. Bumpers and rearview mirrors can come off (but not on all cars) rear and side windows can be smashed, paint can be scratched, fenders, hoods, and other body panels can show minor deformation. So there's really nothing incredible.

The performance damage, on the other hand, is excellent. Overrevving will hurt your engine, forcing a downshift will hurt your transmission, damage to your aeros will affect your speed and handling, and you can destroy your car so much that you won't be able to make it up a small incline without the gears slipping and the car rolling back down.

I liked what I played and saw. Defenately a step above FM2 in the graphics and driving department (60fps helps soooo much.) Loading kind of sucks but the game runs and looks well that I think I can forgive it. I look forward to playing the full version later next month.

Awesome demo! :D I just finished races with Mini and Audi... Sure, there are some jaggiez but graphics are a colossal leap from Forza 2. During racing I didnt notice any jaggiez but when you pause a replay, they can be seen. Anyway, its not a problem. Now its time to race with Mitsu, Ferrari and Porche! :D

RayStorm

Stop It said:
I could go off track and the game doesn't punish me half as much as it should.

Edit: Oh, dear.

Right, The Lancer proves my fears, Forza 3 is indeed just Forza 2 ++ in the handling department, understeer is the worst the game throws at you it seems. While it makes you feel like a great racer (And is quite fun), the races are just that bit more prosaic than I would have liked. Of course Shift is too savage, and this is too kind, and the AI is still scared of Human drivers, grr.

Ah well, such is life.

While I can agree with off-track being too tame, from my limited knowledge I would think that the Lancer, as an AWD-car as well as the mini react as they should, with understeering. Whereas the stronger RWD drives to show their rear from time to time. And that's pretty much the impression I get from watching car races in reality as well.

So I'm not really sure about that complaint of yours. In that vein, the loading times are definitely okay, nothing outrageous at all. But then again the last game I played recently was Shift, and we all know how that might skew my perception a bit.

vanty

Stop It said:
Ok, first impressions time.

First, loading, lots of it, bad. When the game does look, 2nd impression...

Whoever doesn't think this isn't a step up graphically from Forza 2 needs to er...play Forza 2 again! The game looks so much better, less jaggies, more detail on the cars and tracks, and is a nice game just to look at, especially at 60fps.

However, the handling is...well, after the insane precision required to play NFS:Shift, trying the Mini was possibly a bad idea, oodles of grip, nothing but understeer if you overcook things, and er...that's it really. I could go off track and the game doesn't punish me half as much as it should.

Edit: Oh, dear.

Right, The Lancer proves my fears, Forza 3 is indeed just Forza 2 ++ in the handling department, understeer is the worst the game throws at you it seems. While it makes you feel like a great racer (And is quite fun), the races are just that bit more prosaic than I would have liked. Of course Shift is too savage, and this is too kind, and the AI is still scared of Human drivers, grr.

Overall, this will still be worth the money, but one day, a racing game will have this level of polish with everything else there, this isn't quite there, and neither is GT5, but of course, both are worthy games for a racing fan.

Ah well, such is life.
You've driven a FWD car and an AWD car, plus both are production cars. Therefore they understeer. Basically all production cars are tuned to understeer for safety reasons, they can't be compared to the way a Zonda R or something similar handles.

Some impressions:

The handling of the cars feels a lot better than F2.

Cockpit view is nice. A little close to the dash, but makes seeing the road and the track a lot easier.

Menus are nice. I would prefer a darker background color though, the white is kind of harsh on the eyes.

Loading a race seems a tad long.

The Xbox wheel is so much better in F3. It has nice feedback and is a lot more stiff than in F2. Works really well. Seems like a nice alternative for those that don't want to dish out $$$ for the Fanatec wheel.

Lighting seems a bit flat like F2.

The car models during the menu screens look ace. So much detail. But that does not carry over into the in game racing. The car models while racing loss a lot of their details. You can see a night and day change with the Porsche. Things like headlights, taillights, wheels, body panel seams all have less detail.

So graphics are not the leap I was expecting after seeing all those official screen shots. It looks better than F2, but not by a whole lot to me. Maybe the demo track has something to do with it.

But the gameplay is good fun. I like that the AI cars actually race you and the driving model feels really tuned.

Overall I'm happy with the demo but also feel let down by the so so graphics compared to the official screens. I really wish the car models in game looked like the menu models.

Chrange said:
14vmyq9.jpg

4hch91.jpg

333v9cx.jpg

o90qqd.jpg

Awesome shots, really like the first and second one!

btw, sense of speed is excellent... when driving ~200km/h you really feel like driving fast!! Excellent job T10!:) And I love the rewind option, I can now perfect my turns without restarting the whole race.

Fantastic demo. Game looks gorgeous, best looking racing game I've ever played. And the handling has been improved a LOT. So good.

SarBear

Ok, I've always been impressed with the sound in Forza games, but holy shit. They've really outdone themselves.

I'm driving along just sightseeing, and good GOD does the whine from the Shelby GT500 sound authentic. They really nailed it with Forza 3. In F2 it was pretty good, but this is just perfect.

rjcc

Amazing. The screens don't even capture it, There is almost no aliasing in gameplay, I noticed a little wierdness in self shadowing from a replay angle, but the graphics are stunning. The gameplay and physics are just like I remember and rewind owrks great. Gotdamn I can't wait for this game.

11a9uz4.jpg

rjcc said:
Amazing. The screens don't even capture it, There is almost no aliasing in gameplay, I noticed a little wierdness in self shadowing from a replay angle, but the graphics are stunning. The gameplay and physics are just like I remember and rewind owrks great. Gotdamn I can't wait for this game.
I certainly noticed there was. That was a huge turnoff from FM2 for me. It's not as bad this time though.

eso76

that stream is entertaining (while waiting for the bloody download to finish : \)

so flipped AI cars STAY flipped for the whole race ? awesome.

Download faster Download faster Download faster Download faster Download faster Download faster Download faster Download faster Download faster Download faster Download faster Download faster Download faster Download faster Download faster

Can't wait! :D

Jube3

eso76 said:
that stream is entertaining (while waiting for the bloody download to finish : \)

so flipped AI cars STAY flipped for the whole race ? awesome.

Yea they do, sorry i suck haha. I was trying to make a car do a front lip which happened this morning.

dejay

Banned
Just put a couple of hours or so into the demo. I like it a lot.

I was playing the FM2 demo whilst the FM3 demo was downloading, and the difference is appreciable. I'm not sure if the handling has been dummied down or improved, but as people have said you feel more in control. The MS wheel is handled better, which may contribute to that for me.

Also apparent after playing FM2 seconds before this one, the graphics are a lot better. I especially like the smooth reflection in bonnet cam. I tried cockpit view for a few of the cars, and they were nice, but I love my bonnet cam too much to give it up.

I liked the track. The downhill s's heading towards the hairpin got me a few times :D

Can't wait to play the full game. Oh, and magic carpet my ass.

Xun

Absolutely fantastic game.

Though I do have 2 complaints. Firstly I do not like how the car rolls over, and secondly the sun just looks unrealistic in my opinion.

But despite these complaints, it's phenomenal!

Edit: Another issue, try the slow spin... the camera goes under the ground! :lol

I feel as if the camera should be a bit higher, which would eliminate the problem pretty much.

skybaby

I really like the demo, improved from f2 in all areas but still keeping the same feeling. The rush of racing through the tight track with that Porsche is fantastic, nicking the wall trying to inch your past other cars and actually spining out fells great :D

On the graphics: smooth 60fps, no vsync errors or frame drops. No pop-in that could notice (neither on track, mirrors or hood reflections).

Holy fuckballs.... talk about a visual upgrade!

I was playing FM2 a few nights ago, but this just takes the c-c-c-c-cake.

Now I'm just gonna have to sit here holding my dick for the next month.... FUCK!!

Saiyu

Copypaste-a from my GTP post:

First impressions: Feeling with the MS Wheel is immeasurably improved over Forza 2, doesn't have quite the same feeling off road as in NFS shift but is very nice on the road. Physics too early to judge for me (I've only done two laps!), but I do notice the mini is heavier than it would have been in F2 and the lock up threshold of the brakes is much more realistic. Getting the feeling it still could be a bit too much on the 'safe' side, although I haven't tried the powerful RWD cars yet.

Graphics I can't really comment on as I have a SDTV but even on that it looks great, the UI is typical Turn 10 greatness as with all the presentation.

Spydy

Banned
Yeah, the demo is nice. Only thing was it is way too easy. I set the gears to manual which in turn set the difficulty to 'CUSTOM'. Was first everytime in 4 different cars.

Spydy said:
Yeah, the demo is nice. Only thing was it is way too easy. I set the gears to manual which in turn set the difficulty to 'CUSTOM'. Was first everytime in 4 different cars.
easy, medium or hard? I found that with medium setting opponents were pretty easy but with hard setting they put up a good fight.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Just downloaded it, first impressions:

Way too much loading.

Some texture shimmer and blinking polygon seams (since everything's so polished this stands out a lot)

It's jaggy, but less than Forza 2.

I like to drive rough; I'll have to do more testing but it seems damage is slightly more punishing: some car bumps that would result in just aero damage in F2 knocked internal parts.

In F2 once you had your car "aimed" towards the corner exit you could just power throu - doesn't look like it's that effective in F3.

Great demo.(played using all assists off except ABS)

+ Handling is awesome. Especially with assists off. Just when you get some confidence in the mini you end up braking just a split second too late and you under steer to the guard rail. In FM2 you could brake a bit and then gas to get through under steer situations like that but in FM3 its more difficult. The Flying Lizard Porsche is a scary drive with the new physics :)

+Graphics are great. There are a bit of jaggies in the refelctions but they refelctions look like they're at a higher framerate now so the jaggies dont linger like FM2

+Menu/UI is awesome

+AI is as aggressive as it always has been. They'll fight for position even if they've spun and your about to lap them.

-replay mode could use more work imho.

Just played it. Tried the mini first as it's the only one I've driven at speed out of the cars on offer... feels pretty much like I remember it feeling, especially in corners.

Then I tried the GT3 and it utterly kicked my arse. :lol I think I'm going to need some more practice (all assists off).

I NEEED THIS DEMO!!!!
An_Emoticon_From_Years_Gone_By_by_sereneworx.gif

I neeeed gold to get the demo

damnit!

being broke sucks ass, I'm dyin here

gold for like 6 straight years and now this

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Shit, didn't know it was up.

Starting the download but it's sitting here at 0%, despite me clearing my hard-drive of old demos. Damn it, Microsoft! :(

Hawk SE

I started my download before I left for work (that and Brutal Legend), luckily I live close enough that at lunch I can check this out!

Top Bottom