• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 Demo Discussion Thread

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Manual with the clutch has a nice learning curve for those who like multitasking with buttons on the controller. The GT3 interior is all sorts of awesome, as well :)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I don't think you'd be, given it's the demo and demos can be burned to CD-RW's for those that can't hook their 360 up to download the demo. But I'd remove those anyway to be on the safe side.

Mods are kinda walking on egg shells about things around here. Some things are grey area, some aren't.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I didn't notice any jaggies when playing, but some of the shots here look like Lego Forza. Strange.

Game feels somewhat different to Forza 2, as if the cars are heavier.

Everything is great though, except the load times.

eso76

thanks for the links, looks like i might be able to play this evening. connection at home is way too slow, plus i won't be home for another 6 hours : \
would a simple single layer dvd-r work ?

Holy fucking shit. I'm in love again. FM2 was a pretty big disappointment to me after FM1. FM3 brings back everything I loved from FM1 and adds so much more. The cars handle exceptionally well. Cockpit view controls great. I was afraid the cockpit would be similar to DIRT where it was so sensitive and jerky. Nope, cockpit feels like you're in actual control of the vehicle (until you slam into the wall :D ).

Bring on FM3, can't wait for some P2P on Fujimi Kaido!

sneaky77

eso76 said:
thanks for the links, looks like i might be able to play this evening. connection at home is way too slow, plus i won't be home for another 6 hours : \
would a simple single layer dvd-r work ?

is 1gb so yeah it should

you have to burn content folder or
HOW TO INSTALL TO HDD (HDD CONNECTIVITY KIT REQUIRED) :
Plug your Xbox 360 HDD in to your PC.
Use Xplorer360 (provided) to explore your HDD Contents.

Drive > Open > Harddrive or Memcard..

Explore Partition 3. Open Content folder.

Import the file "9735F566C530E21088D2A7A812379C4C52745DDB"
in the following directory: "content\0000000000000000\454188B9\00080000"

(Same structure as what is provided - so just drag n drop it in)

Plug your HDD back in to your console and goto Games Library.

Noogy said:
Wow, already? I just checked the marketplace on my 360 and it wasn't there, but the Xbox.com link did indeed start downloading. Can't wait!
Hope that's up on Marketplace everywhere tonight. As of 8:30 AM EDT, it wasn't.

tzare

AMUSIX said:
Ha, was there in the Spring...actually on St. George's Day...which, let me tell you, was the WRONG day to go walking around Barcelona with a Real Madrid jersey on.
not the best day for sure XD
I enjoyed the demo, very pleasant overall. Feels better than Forza2 and looks way better too.That is how Forza2 should've been. Cars may be not perfect but day one :) I hope it has no region lock.

skybaby

Left trigger does realtime rewind in the replays, something I've wanted for AGES on console racers (they usually returned to a previous key frame in the replay)

Also, magic carpet is gone. GT3 on Montserrat is bumpy as hell :D

All assists off but ABS. That will go away soon enough.

Like folks have said, very impressive. I caught my jaw open at one point with a move an AI driver did. Very nice. And like folks have said, you feel like you are actually racing instead of just plowing through.

Sound is great but I might tweak it a bit. Race music off and full engine up. Will play with it to find a sweet spot. Might turn the sub up a bit too.

I do cockpit all the time but it does seem a little close. The mirrors really don't seem too effective unless you use the right stick and that is pretty tricky. Am I nuts on this...missing something?

Didn't see any leaderboard stuff as well. Hmmm.

Love the Forza franchise and definitely looking forward to 3.

I have pretty much tamed the GT3. I could improve a lot still though.

How's everyone doing on laptimes? I don't see any sort of leaderboard functionality built into the demo.

acm2000

ok, so the AI has more cars to choose from than us, so, did anyone try setting the 360 date to launch day of the retail game (have to unplug the network cable i think or it wont let you), and see if other cars are timed unlocks? ;) gotta be worth a try

Milpool

KingOfSnake said:
..I caught my jaw open at one point with a move an AI driver did. Very nice...

Yeah the AI is amazing, I used the rewind function about 3 times on one of the corners and the white BMW(i think) took a different line each time depending on where I was, even though I was behind them.

I just noticed if you press left on the dpad you get a drift meter.

Falagard

Stop It said:
Ok, first impressions time.

First, loading, lots of it, bad. When the game does look, 2nd impression...

Whoever doesn't think this isn't a step up graphically from Forza 2 needs to er...play Forza 2 again! The game looks so much better, less jaggies, more detail on the cars and tracks, and is a nice game just to look at, especially at 60fps.

However, the handling is...well, after the insane precision required to play NFS:Shift, trying the Mini was possibly a bad idea, oodles of grip, nothing but understeer if you overcook things, and er...that's it really. I could go off track and the game doesn't punish me half as much as it should.

Anyway, onto the Lancer, let's see what the change-up is like.

Edit: Oh, dear.

Right, The Lancer proves my fears, Forza 3 is indeed just Forza 2 ++ in the handling department, understeer is the worst the game throws at you it seems. While it makes you feel like a great racer (And is quite fun), the races are just that bit more prosaic than I would have liked. Of course Shift is too savage, and this is too kind, and the AI is still scared of Human drivers, grr.

Overall, this will still be worth the money, but one day, a racing game will have this level of polish with everything else there, this isn't quite there, and neither is GT5, but of course, both are worthy games for a racing fan.

Ah well, such is life.

Yes, the cars in the demo were easy to drive.

My guess is that they picked cars that are easy to drive for the demo, rather than throw some cars (like muscle cars or whatever) in that are going to be slipping all over the place.

If you've played Forza 2 you'll know that there are a lot of cars that are really slippery / hard to handle until you put the proper upgrades into them, such as better tires.

*edit*

Also - disable stability management and traction control if you really want to try to drive raw.

I wasn't 100% sure about getting this or any racing game this year, but that demo was freaking great. Buying now. Cockpit view also is super functional. Not the best looking, but whatever, I can drive perfectly in it.

Psychotext said:
I have pretty much tamed the GT3. I could improve a lot still though.

How's everyone doing on laptimes? I don't see any sort of leaderboard functionality built into the demo.
I just did a 1:07 in the GT3. It's probably some shit but it was clean and I had some good overtakes. Also, it was on Hard. :D

Like I said before I really appreciate how they have catered to a wide range of gamers. I bumped it up to the expert level just to see and that is way beyond my skills. But I like that there are many levels of play beneath that where you can have a lot of fun.

Also as I expected I can't drive from that inside the cockpit view. Just too cramped for me and not a great sense of speed. But the hood cam is great for me.

Stoney Mason said:
Like I said before I really appreciate how they have catered to a wide range of gamers. I bumped it up to the expert level just to see and that is way beyond my skills. But I like that there are many levels of play beneath that where you can have a lot of fun.

Also as I expected I can't drive from that inside the cockpit view. Just too cramped for me and not a great sense of speed. But the hood cam is great for me.

Hard with bumped up AI difficulty (technically custom) is, like, perfect for me. I get the rush of an arcade-sim like PGR, but with more of the feeling that I'm sitting in a wild metal beast I need to tame--and I will tame that bitch.

Mobius 1

I love the demo, but nothing even close to the hyperbole Turn10 has been feeding everyone. Detailed impressions after I get that R8 around Camino Viejo a few more times :D

TheSeks

I'm glad the "bumper cam with rearview mirror" Forza 2 camera option is still in the game, but the cockpit view is nice. (though a little too far back for my liking, is there an option to set it closer/at least see over the wheel?)

Having the right-stick work for in-car cock-pit view is genius... minus the fact that you don't see your cockpit/car with it. :| You look left/right and you suddenly aren't in the car. Way to take us out of the car, Turn 10.

Graphically the game is a good step up from Forza 2, but during the intro (in-game engine intro?) I could see the aliasing. :(

I'm not liking the white menu, I think having a different color/customization would help, but I do like that the menu is clean, hopefully going through 300+ cars won't be a chore like it was Forza 2 (gotta love Forza 2's search option, but it wasn't a nice compromise).

I'm digging the D-pad being for telemetery and all, but I'm not digging the change from LBumper to the Right-Dpad button for crash/damage, tire temp meters. It's slightly annoying trying to pull those up while racing. :/

Ok, I just managed a 1:04:678 with the GT3. Was a sloppy lap towards the end though. I can do better!

One thing I've noticed about the handling that I really like is that it's really easy to tell when you're at the edge of your grip threshold. Top stuff.

I rolled my R8. Huzzah! Was showing my brother the rewind feature, so went head on into a wall, ended up rolling it twice.... try as I may, I could not do it again!

I thought that you could look around the cockpit using the right analogue stick, but yet it just seems to do the whole "side/rear view" instead..... has it been disabled in the demo or something? I can't see the entirety of the California's rear view mirror.

TheSeks

I'm not sure how I feel about the handling. On one hand, it's miles better than "hit the grass and spin out of control" Forza 2, but it just doesn't "feel" like driving like Forza 1. I mean, it kinda does, but at the same time it... doesn't. It's hard to explain. :/

Rewind is neat, but it's kinda useless to me since I'm too adjusted to playing GT/Forza without it. :lol

Think it's time to try the crush the shit out of the mini-cooper/roll it to see how it it looks/does.

Wait, one more minor complaint: What the hell, Turn 10? You change A/B Shift-Up/Down to X/B? :| Slightly annoying to try to shift down in a turn and mash A thinking it'll shift-down but it doesn't. Argh!

Also the digital speedo is nice, but slightly out of view, maybe it's just me. I think I'm sticking with the analog, but they should be in the "Wheel" view of the cockpit view.

D'oh, I'm stupid, it's there in front of me. But it's still analog in the car and the digital is out of the way in that view. Still annoying.

I can't stop playing this, been testing lots of things out like the A.I, settings for the cars, driving backwards (track feels great in reverse) and all that, I like how RWD cars feel wild now instead of just feeling like they were on ice in corners, you KNOW when you are pushing it in those cars and the car will fight back.

I also love the menu music, it's stuff I can listen too quite well while I think up paint jobs.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
i enjoy driving the mini and i never enjoy driving a mini

the sense of speed is faaaaaaaaaar better than it was in forza 2

edit: only real complaint i have - wtf is with the AI revving? let me rev my own car please and thanks - you're screwing up my launching

skybaby

sionyboy said:
I rolled my R8. Huzzah! Was showing my brother the rewind feature, so went head on into a wall, ended up rolling it twice.... try as I may, I could not do it again!

I thought that you could look around the cockpit using the right analogue stick, but yet it just seems to do the whole "side/rear view" instead..... has it been disabled in the demo or something? I can't see the entirety of the California's rear view mirror.
Push forward, then turn left or right slightly. Yes, I agree it's pretty retarded!

Duelist said:
Oh I figured I might as well post that my best time so far with the Evo X is 1:15.753.

Beat that, GAF. :)

I turned a 1.16.678. Hard. No assists.

Guess we gotta write em down if we wanna 'race' other folks.

Top Bottom