• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 Demo Discussion Thread

Coming from a Forza virgin, I absolutely love the GUI on this game. I've always thought the menus were fuckly on racing games, especially on Gran Turismo. The clean white on this is beautiful.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Is it just me, or is this much easier than Forza 2? Even with all assists off (excl. ABS), it still seems easier than Forza 2 with assists on. Bizarro-world.

Gowans

cjelly said:
Is it just me, or is this much easier than Forza 2? Even with all assists off (excl. ABS), it still seems easier than Forza 2 with assists on. Bizarro-world.

I feel like that too, I thought I was just becoming amazing at racing games ;)

skyfinch

Not sure if this has been posted yet, since there are like 3 different threads involving Forza. Anyways, in replay mode, once you select a camera, like helicopter view, you can hit "X" and get many more camera angles within that selection.

Anyways, amazing game. Controls are just sick. I don't think there's a game on the market that controls as well as this game. Sounds are so much better than Forza 2's. Wish I had a better sound system.

I don't know what's up with screenshots we've been seeing. They don't do the game any justice. In motion, without a hitch, it's beautiful. My only gripe about graphics is that one camera angle during replay. I think we've all seen it. Pixalated plants in the foreground, and horrible blurry trees in the background. I'm not sure why Turn 10 would position the camera like this.

menus are so sleek and simple.
Day one for sure.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
These cars aren't exactly difficult to drive. The Evo and R8 are AWD and the Mini is FWD. The Ferrari and the GT3 are very well balanced. I doubt all cars will drive as easily as the ones given in the demo.

Seriously, everyone needs to view the leaderboards before you start the race. Then click A to begin the race. Unlimited lap Time Trial. I got my time down to 1:03.602 with the help of my ghost. So fucking awesome.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
striKeVillain! said:
Seriously, everyone needs to view the leaderboards before you start the race. Then click A to begin the race. Unlimited lap Time Trial. I got my time down to 1:03.602 with the help of my ghost. So fucking awesome.
You can select someone on the leaderboard and race their ghost as well. Still will be unlimited laps.

MidnightRider said:
maybe the first two parts..... maybe.

but the last? are you serious? have you ever ridden in a car before?

this isn't oregon trail. (wagon)

Have you ever pushed a 500hp car to the limit yourself? ;)

But let's not discuss Shift here, sorry.

About the jaggies, I think people were expecting the IQ from the press screenshots (bullshots).

Love the demo. Visually it looks amazing and is head and shoulders better looking then F2. As far the aliasing is concerned I think some of guys may need to get on the AV forum and find some decent settings for your HDTV. I didn't even think to look for aliasing and as far as I'm concerned If I don't think to look for it then it's not a problem.

One thing that does concerns me a bit is that the car seems to stick to the road a bit more. It could be that I'm just used to the driving model in Forza, but I can't think of time when I've been able to drive a car on a track for the first time with out the suggested line and not crash multiple times.

I'm getting top 3% with most of the cars, everything off except ABS, I think that's pretty good.

If I had a wheel I could probably get higher than that.

Spasm

SuperÑ said:
Wow! Turning down sharpness to 0 is absolutely an improvement over jaggies. Do it!
Unless you're on a Sony Bravia. As a rule, 0 sharpness on every other LCD in the world = ~15-25 on a Bravia.

pr0cs

Diablohead said:
Cockpit is 60fps in this demo, wtf are you guys smoking :lol
Didn't feel like it to me, there seemed to be a noticeable improvement on FPS when playing with hood-cam vs cockpit view.
Not like it mattered though I was too busy driving to really care.
(I still preferred hood cam tbh)

I'm slowly working to get each class on the leaderboard to >100, so far so good but those #1 ghosts are quite fast to keep up with!

Hawk SE

I was so excited to talk about the graphics, I forgot to mention...

THE SOUND, man the sound is much improved. I'm guessing all the extra microphones for recording worked.
- I turned down In-Race Music to 0 and cranked Car Sound all the way up and left all other sliders alone. It is just beautiful to hear all the sounds.

THE FEEL of Forza 3 is vastly different from Forza 2, but it's very welcome. I can't wait for the full version, but at least I have something to try out until then.

I tried some Wrong Way crashes and I gotta say, despite the lack of "Burnout" crashes, the audio of said crashes is pretty sickening, and with rollover, etc, it's quite awesome.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Im bad at racing games, Owned Forza 2 and Forza 3 is def easier. Not a big fan of them because im sooo bad at driving. my races consist of me not actually driving but sabotaging the other racers :lol

AZ Greg

Impressions:

+ Graphics are much improved over Forza 2
+ UI is great

- Graphics, as have long been criticized, are a little too "cartoony." I understand that the gameplay is where the focus should be for a sim, but I think photo realism is a necessary part of the package. Just as it is for tactile shooters that are trying to be realistic like some of the Tom Clancy titles.
- Jaggies. Not as bad as Forza 2 but they are there, particularly when using a color scheme other than white or silver.
- Load times are pretty horrible. And I'm using a 120GB HDD.
- Not to give credibility to the silly Top Gear "Magic Carpet Ride" stuff, but there, at least to me, feels to be some sort of disconnect between the car and the road. I tried almost all the cars and with various settings. This is something that even Forza 1 does much better (Was just playing it a couple of days ago).
- Cars really seem to lose the weight that they do have when you roll them. It's nice that they added this, but I really think they should have polished it and added it to the next iteration. As it is now, it hurts immersion when it does happen.
- Cockpit view doesn't seem to reflect windshield damage. Or maybe it was just with my specific situation. I was testing the damage in third person and after wrecking my car really hard and looking at the damage I noticed the windshield was messed up. I switched to cockpit and the window seemed to be fine.

Still need to put a lot more time in, but much like I was after the Forza 2 demo, I can't help but be disappointed. :(

h3ro

Fuck. My 360 just E74'd.

AGHHHHHH. MICROOOSOFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

I was really enjoying the Demo. Setting times was really fun, I was up to 753rd with my GT3 time!

FRICKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
h3ro said:
Fuck. My 360 just E74'd.

AGHHHHHH. MICROOOSOFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

I was really enjoying the Demo. Setting times was really fun, I was up to 753rd with my GT3 time!

FRICKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Too much awesome to your old console :( I'm sorry for you.

h3ro

Ugh, the Dead 360 topic is useless. Help me out Internet friends...

Should I call MS or go through the website?

I just want the quickest way of getting back to the demo.

rjcc

It's always the website, especially since they don't send boxes anymore. If you have to play now and have spare cash, buy a new arcade at best buy, return it when yours comes back.

h3ro

rjcc said:
It's always the website, especially since they don't send boxes anymore. If you have to play now and have spare cash, buy a new arcade at best buy, return it when yours comes back.

Thanks, I'll fill out the site stuff now, hope I get a Jasper back (wishful thinking, I Know)... Sorry for the derailing fellas, go back to your spoogefest. :/

I'm gonna miss the demo.

h3ro said:
Thanks, I'll fill out the site stuff now, hope I get a Jasper back (wishful thinking, I Know)... Sorry for the derailing fellas, go back to your spoogefest. :/

I'm gonna miss the demo.

sorry to hear that, man. good luck

Dabanton

h3ro said:
Ugh, the Dead 360 topic is useless. Help me out Internet friends...

Should I call MS or go through the website?

I just want the quickest way of getting back to the demo.

Website is quicker i've heard.

Psychotext said:
Ok, vid is up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI54UQ8yu10

Yes, the quality is shit, the colours are broken for some reason, and it's added wierd lines on the screen... and there's a trial software thing right in the middle. But you can see the GT3 spinning its wheels pretty much right up to the top of 1st gear:

All assists off, manual gears, AI on hard, sim damage.

I'd do another one to work out exactly where it stops your wheels spinning when you're rolling (seems to be about 15mph, depending if you're on a hill or not), but I'll leave it to someone who knows how to use their camera!
That's perfect. Nice one.

Ok, let me comment on your video, and then mention something very important that I figured out watching some FM2 vids, and ultimately where I am mistaken.

The phenomenon I was talking about you can kind of see later in your video, although you never go fully through with it. 1:06 and 1:21. If you're on a very slight roll, going dead straight with little or no steering input, and give it full throttle, the car won't lose traction at all. Steering input will make the tires spin wildly, but they won't without that input. The reality is that is probably just the game's launch/start sequence though. No big deal (see below).

I found something by watching some FM2 videos on youtube. Everything looks very similar, if not exactly the same as I described it before as it does in FM2.

The difference is there's so much more lateral grip in FM3 that it feels like you're doing much less with the throttle to keep it on line. FM2 had you on egg shells with the throttle the whole time because there never was any grip. I wrongly thought because that feeling wasn't there that somehow they'd dumbed the physics way down, and I went looking for where they had done to do so.

Turns out it's the same. Any weird switching between lateral and longitudinal grip has always been there, but just harder to spot because FM2's cars slide around a lot more.

So yeah, my bad all the way around.

I guess my revised feeling is that FM3 could use with less grip to let player's throttle control shine a little brighter. I still don't feel any different than before. I just feel it for different reasons.

Fuck it though, I really need to play for more than 45 minutes to really get a good feeling for it. Now that's it's been a few hours I can hardly remember what it was like. :lol

Good to see the leaderboards are up as well.

Seep

Slayer-33 said:
I did NOT like the way you still take look around while in cockpit mode, (right analog stick to look around) in Dirt 2 the drivers pov tilts his head smoothly to the direction you look at, atm in this demo it's a direct instant look to where you move the stick to, I have always disliked this in the Forza series and it really bothers me, it totally detracts away from the near perfect delivery of the other aspects of the game.

I don't understand why they haven't fixed this right analog stick look around view bs since FM1..

Hold the right stick up and move it left to right and you can view the inside of the cockpit as little or as much as you like.

JRW

The first thing I noticed immediately is the fact Forza 3 runs at 60fps which is fuckin nice, Ive been playing Shift for last couple weeks at 30fps and the difference is definitely noticeable. although Shift is a lot of fun to play as well.

BCD2 said:
Shit, now I'm really doubting myself! All I did was jack it to the max "difficulty", and change the gearbox back to manual/no clutch.

I'm not home, so I can't confirm anything, but I'll happily take your words for it until I get back.

Previous impressions are without a doubt on hold.

I won't be able to play the demo for another day or two, so I'm really looking forward to hearing your updated impressions. Hopefully, something is amiss since I'd been reading impressions like these from the AFX Challenge:

o0 Conman 0o said:
It seemed to take all of us controller users a few stints before we adapted to the new feel of the game but once we did, I think I can speak for all of us, we had no complaints whatsoever. I felt a much better feel for the car and how it was behaving around the circuit in comparison to FM2; In FM2, you can kind of point a car at the exit of a corner, gas it and it will go there; In FM3 you have to point the car through every inch of the corner, from turn in to before, during and after the apex. Smooth optimal lines are only accomplished with very precise steering and throttle input that will change through every inch of a corner. I expect that's basically what most of us think were doing when playing any racing game but I found it much more difficult to accomplish this in FM3. In FM2 driving an AWD car seems to be more point and shoot and you just cannot get away with that in this new game.

In short, the kind of aggressive driving that you can get away with in fm2 will not apply to FM3, just like it does not apply to real life. Smooth steering inputs and precision were the only ways to drive this Audi R8 fast. I suspect the differences between wheel user's tunes and controller user's tunes will be much more so than in Fm2.

There's more in this thread:

Granted, these impressions are a few months old now, but I hope they haven't toned things down in a concession to accessibility. I suspect that's not the case, and that hopefully, like you said, you merely missed something in the TCS. Perhaps using a wheel as opposed to a controller has some impact as well.

amar212

Shogun PaiN said:
Just figured out how to look around the car in cockpit mode :D

Looks really nice.

Yeah, good for you - I would not know that BECAUSE I'M USING THE OFFICIAL MICROSOFT FORCE FEEDBACK WHEEL.

Speaking of which, I CAN'T EVEN SEE MY MIRRORS AT ALL.

Che, can anybody take that into consideration?

Will the buttons be mappable?

Like, please?

JRW

Whats with the random pausing while racing? Probably just a demo bug I'd hope. Its pretty severe at times.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Pizza Luigi said:
2u5fko4.jpg

That pic is awesome. Maybe Che can answer, but is this track based off of City of Rocks National Park in Idaho? I went camping there this summer and can't help but see the similarities.

5420_1085086050991_1341581249_30221894_7992668_n.jpg

Maybe there are a lot of places that look like that, and I just haven't seen them. I can't wait to get home and play this demo.

JRW

rjcc said:
what are you talking about?

The game will just start hitching / pausing every couple seconds while racing, the audio isn't affected. after about 10 seconds of this it stops doing it. then randomly starts up again. Seems to happen more often if I switch to cockpit view.

JRW said:
The game will just start hitching / pausing every couple seconds while racing, the audio isn't affected. after about 10 seconds of this it stops doing it. then randomly starts up again. Seems to happen more often if I switch to cockpit view.
Xbox about to croak?

KHarvey16

JRW said:

Haven't experienced anything like that.

rjcc

JRW said:

yeah I haven't seen that

For sure...

I could NEVER take a rear wheel drive car around the corner in Forza 2 and accelerate hard while I was mid turn. I had to brake in a line, make my turn and accelerate out.

What gives?

cjelly said:

Top Bottom