• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 Demo Discussion Thread

pswii60

Kolgar said:
Against.

It's been a long road to the demo, and now that it's here, I guess I can move along.

The graphics look flat and totally inorganic and the cars hug the road pretty damn tight, despite the fact that they sometimes appear like they're somehow pasted into the environment or floating just a bit above the road.

The lighting is a real downer because it isn't really there. Dust kicked up in a shadowed area just doesn't look like it should. The car right next to me isn't reflected in my paint, and far-off trees that are "reflected" look like blocky bitmaps.

My first reaction upon seeing the first big car model appear on screen at the start of the demo was, "What the fuck? Who put this cartoon car in my Forza?" The colors and lighting just made that poor car look like it was hand-drawn or cell shaded or something.

Don't waste your time coming at me with knives over this post, for I'm out as soon as I finish typing. After all these months of anticipation, I felt I'd earned the right to post my impressions.

Have fun and enjoy, boys.
So your only anticipation for Forza 3 was for its graphics?

Barrett2

Playing this demo once again made me realize how much I dislike sim racing. I bought GT:p and was bored to tears, same with this demo. I guess Burnout is as far as I can go with racing games. Sim games just aren't my cup of tea.

McLovin

I thought the track was allot of fun, a little disappointed by the visuals(roll overs look dumb and the bottom of the cars where textured lazily) Other then that I really like how the cars handle once you tweak the settings(specifically the auto breaking)

gkryhewy

Played the demo and was blown away. The graphics are shockingly good - love the way the colors pop, like the first time I saw Daytona in an arcade way back when.

This demo did the impossible: made me enjoy (on easy) and care about a sim racer.

Rizob

So does anyone else think it was a bad idea for the steering wheel to go apeshit when you use the rewind button? The thing has nearly torn my fingers off a few times already.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Hawk xSx said:
Yeah this game just FEELS different, not bad or good, just different

It feels different and I love it. Seems a bit easier to control. I am sure that the final game can be tweaked to make it harder, but for me, the feel was perfect. This game went from not even on my radar to day one.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Different cars will be easier or harder to drive in this game as they were in Forza 2. Don't assume that just because these cars are easy to drive in the demo that all of the cars in Forza 3 will follow suit.

Jonsoncao

Banned
well we do need some xbot with decent photo shooting equipment to show how this game looks from the TV, so here I cum

3951241433_ff6f649c5c_o.jpg

3951241493_ac94c5a8cd_o.jpg

red Ferrari looks over saturated indeed

3952019936_d098a6611f_o.jpg

and it looks more comfortable with this low contrast color

3951241677_981fdb1591_o.jpg

3951241735_49e229f0af_o.jpg

3952020226_14c0d8c390_o.jpg

EVO looks hawt
3952020050_3dcfbc2916_o.jpg

3952020010_81c20acc4f_o.jpg

3951241557_93990543eb_o.jpg

color selection interface is pure awesomeness

3952019792_a33a60625e_o.jpg

3952019762_ed5df46edb_o.jpg

3951241231_24bb134a84_o.jpg

3952019610_3440c59634_o.jpg

3951241141_d006f34bdd_o.jpg

high contrast color tends to be over saturated while low contrast color like grey looks really smooth

eso76

1 hour later.

strange mix of excitement and disappointment.

graphics; very good ingame and replays, track looks wonderful, although playing from dvd (demo is still downloading from marketplace...wtf) i often get huge texture streaming issues which show how much of the scenery is actually a cleverly textured one polygon structure, nothing bad about it, just surprising.
Cars look good to very very good to not too realistic (someone above gave a spot on analysis on metallic vs non metallic, in the light vs in the shadow. he nailed it, imho, so i'm not typing that again).
First race was with a metallic red lancer and i really liked what i saw; looked very different from fm2 and closer to 'you know what'.

I shouldn't have cycled through custom cameras; while cars have an adequate # of polys in typical ingame and replay situations, closeups revealed how much lower poly they actually are compared to their menu/photomode representation...No model swapping my @ss :D actual geometry for cars ingame is close to fm2, same goes for cars textures resolution.
Now, i shouldn't care, since the game does menage to look much, much better than fm2, but i can't help thinking T10 engine really needs a better lod menagement, and i can't help feeling somewhat cheated.

sound: crazy good. Not all cars have the same impact, but some of them definitely are the best sounding cars i ever heard in a videogame. Love menu tunes, like ingame soundtrack

gameplay: i don't know. Cars have crazy grip this time around, it's almost impossible to send a powerful rwd go spinning on launch or throttling out of a corner, which definitely happened a lot in fm2. Like i said, fm2 was probably too slippery and drift happy, but i don't know which is more realistic at this point. I really started thinking there might be a bug with some assists refusing to be switched off, because impressions and hands on depicted a different situation.

AI is very entertaining and good. Races are intense, although the cpu still tends to drive a lot more carefully (read:slow) than necessary around corners, it still can react to situations and surprise you with different driving styles..

Overall, game looks and feels very different from fm2, not entirely sure that's for the best yet

blanky

I don't know what everyone is saying about the cars not being able to slide or break out anymore, when I was doing time trial with the porsche (all assists off except abs) the slow corner at the end almost had every time if i was too aggressive on the throttle. That basically happened everywhere when i exited the corner. Even in the first one too much would make me oversteer. I barely experienced understeer with it. Though maybe you guys are talking about something else.

I loved it though, playing with the wheel for the first time has been a joy. I feel beat a bit after 1,5 hours of driving. Especially trying to catch the porsche the whole time has been a chore. And it looks great on my tv. I can't wait for the retai :D

gameplay: i don't know. Cars have crazy grip this time around, it's almost impossible to send a powerful rwd go spinning on launch or throttling out of a corner, which definitely happened a lot in fm2. Like i said, fm2 was probably too slippery and drift happy, but i don't know which is more realistic at this point. I really started thinking there might be a bug with some assists refusing to be switched off, because impressions and hands on depicted a different situation.

really? I don't mean to offend, but with me the porsche was as sensitive as it could be. Full throttle in first is a garantueed spin, and too much on corner exits was always the wall for me. this is confusing.

KHarvey16

eso76 said:

I dunno, I'm pretty capable of launching that Porsche into a spin off the start :lol. I wonder if there's any possibility things were tweaked for a "demo audience"?

KHarvey16 said:
I dunno, I'm pretty capable of launching that Porsche into a spin off the start :lol. I wonder if there's any possibility things were tweaked for a "demo audience"?
Yeah, the Porsche will happily kill you if you're not careful with the revs.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Psychotext said:
Yeah, the Porsche will happily kill you if you're not careful with the revs.
Just to mess around, I was easily able to spin the Porsche in donuts at the start line. :lol

Playing with all the assists off anyway.

Nice that we have leaderboards and hotlapping now, was really hoping for that. Seem to be able to get into the top 1% at least, despite my old (35) age. :lol

See

I love the demo, great job Turn10!

My crappy contribution.. mind the scan lines, taken from a 17' CRT monitor.

DSCN0305.jpg

DSCN0306.jpg

DSCN0307.jpg

DSCN0308.jpg

DSCN0309.jpg

DSCN0310.jpg

DSCN0311.jpg

DSCN0313.jpg

DSCN0314.jpg

Maybe it's because I completely and totally absorbed in Need for Speed: Shift, but this demo came off as very clinical and typical to me. The game looks clean and beautiful, but the racing itself feels like taking a leisurely stroll through a park. Some people may enjoy that, but it's not my cup of tea anymore.

lil smoke

Banned
Game feels sweet. It feels just right to me.

1% A class, 3% C and D and I was high.

Has anyone beaten the CPU on difficult? That's pretty challenging.

I ask, is my avatar wearing the racing gear to you? no matter how many times I update or change my clothes on my avatar he still wears stock clothing :( I think something bugged.

On that note, I would like more petrol heads on my friends list :D so add me: Diablohead UK

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
so good. feels quite a bit better then f2 and camino viejo is a pretty cool track.

my best with no assists (other the abs) is 1:02:4xx and i got a full second better without much effort with traction and stability control on.

dejay

Banned
Diablohead said:
I ask, is my avatar wearing the racing gear to you? no matter how many times I update or change my clothes on my avatar he still wears stock clothing :( I think something bugged.

On that note, I would like more petrol heads on my friends list :D so add me: Diablohead UK

Black helmet with organge stripes and dark racing suit from my end.

Is it just me or is the game really full of jaggies and does not look like any of the screenshots posted from Turn 10? I also found the handling of the vehicles in the demo slightly stiffer than usual.

Dabanton

BloodySinner said:
Is it just me or is the game really full of jaggies and does not look like any of the screenshots posted from Turn 10? I also found the handling of the vehicles in the demo slightly stiffer than usual.

it looks good on my TV.

No_Style

Beautiful, beautiful game and a felt great. I love the damage and scraped paint as well.

In cockpit view felt uneventful after Shift, but that's okay!

I am mighty impressed by Turn10's work. :D

The cockpit at first felt like my FOV was too little, but it's only because I been playing shift for the last week now, F3's is much closer to F355 challenge and that is one of my fave racing games of all time. Once you get use to it it's awesome.

danwarb

BloodySinner said:
Just you I think. The game is 720p with 2xAA, so less jaggy than most console efforts.

BloodySinner said:

general consensus was TV settings can fix this. set sharpness down really low (like to 0)

Annoying Old Party Man said:
So, for the people that dont own a gold account, does the burning DVD solution work??
Annoying Old Party Man said:
Yes.
Just burn the data disc, insert and play. For whatever reason I'm experiencing hiccups from running off of the disc. The audio skips quite a bit or just freezes. It happens with the BGM as well as game sounds. So a particular part of a track or engine rev can get stuck and keep looping like a skipping CD (using a Sony DVD-R). Think of how a really generic house song sounds and you'd be in the ballpark. The additional loading also makes for moments where you get and early Unreal Engine 3-like pop in where some textures (always the same ones) haven't yet loaded. This could be down to slight corruption, burning or DVD errors.

Even still, the demo is fantastic. The visual presentation is great, but the audio may be even better. This will be my first racing game since PGR4.

Cday said:
Played on easy, got 3rd.
Played on medium, got 3rd.
Played on hard, got 1st.

*Shrug*

opponent difficulty isn't set to "hard" on the HARD game difficulty (boy, that sounds confusing).

set your game difficulty to at least ADVANCED to make the AI drive their best (or set the opponent difficulty manually to "hard")

Xun

See said:
This reminds me.

At the back the trees appear as if they haven't loaded, or so I noticed when I was playing the replay at this part.

Perhaps just a demo glitch?

Cday

Banned
SeaOfMadness said:
opponent difficulty isn't set to "hard" on the HARD game difficulty (boy, that sounds confusing).

set your game difficulty to at least ADVANCED to make the AI drive their best (or set the opponent difficulty manually to "hard")

I skipped ahead to expert and got raped, 8th place.

bigswords

Shnookums said:
Didn't they do that with the Forza 2 demo?

Wat? tweaked as in I can't even drive the game on easy settings?

But I must admit Forza 3, really gives people with no driving sim experience a great and fun chance to play. I'm really pumped for this game game like PGR!

XiaNaphryz

Shawnwhann said:
The game looks clean and beautiful, but the racing itself feels like taking a leisurely stroll through a park. Some people may enjoy that, but it's not my cup of tea anymore.
Were you playing with assists on?

Cday said:
Played on easy, got 3rd.
Played on medium, got 3rd.
Played on hard, got 1st.

*Shrug*
So why not just turn off all assists i.e. Expert?

EDIT: Replied too late. :lol

nib95

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
Were you playing with assists on?

While I don't agree with the extent he said it, the game is definitely easier than Forza 2, more forgiving and slightly more arcade like imo. And I always race with all assists off.

I wonder if this will change for the final game. Or whether they just made these particular demo cars far too easy to drive. I mean....in the Audi R8, I was struggling to mess up. In F2 or the other game, with assists off (pro sim mode, down force off for...yea...), it's far far easier to mess up. You lose traction a lot easier, finding yourself fighting with the car many times. As you would in real life with traction control off. I think Team 10 need to tweak the handling ever so slightly.

well 1 if not more of them rar files i dloaded was corrupted nice, shit doesnt work.wasted dvd

will making a new live account work or no?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Have to agree--driving felt much easier than 2 with all assists off. No question about it. Demo was great though, gfx are incredible and a huge step up. Day one for me.

I've played this 5 or 6 times with MS wheel. I love it, the MS wheel works much better than FZ2 which I got better times with the controller.

XiaNaphryz

nib95 said:
While I don't agree with the extent he said it, the game is definitely easier than Forza 2, more forgiving and slightly more arcade like imo. And I always race with all assists off.

I wonder if this will change for the final game. Or whether they just made these particular demo cars far too easy to drive. I mean....in the Audi R8, I was struggling to mess up. In F2 or the other game, with assists off (pro sim mode, down force off for...yea...), it's far far easier to mess up. You lose traction a lot easier, finding yourself fighting with the car many times. As you would in real life with traction control off. I think Team 10 need to tweak the handling ever so slightly.
I dunno, it was really easy for me to mess up in the Porsche if I really wanted to, similar to Forza 2 in a comparable car (spinning out of corners, drifting into walls, etc).

But it's all moot in the end - I'll reserve judgement on the handling until I finally get my Fanatec setup in.

I played more, and feel much better about it. It definitely takes a minute to get your head around what they've done. After I started to understand, I really found an appreciation for it.

All the throttle control is just, for lack of a better word, compressed into the very last bit. It's still there, it's just the limit has been pushed much farther back. Much closer to where it should be (too far though). Where FM2 was slipping and sliding all the time, FM3 is much calmer until you run out of corner. What happens after that is different too. The cars have a lot more weight to them, so everything happens much more slowly. You really feel the weight transfer. FM2 is twitchy, this is not. Again, more realistic, as well as more player friendly.

It think the bonus will be that the whole range of cars in the game will scale much better too. None of the U Class ridiculousness of FM2. Hopefully this new handling model will enable those cars to be usable this time.

Spaceman Spliff/quote from another forum said:
In FM2, you can kind of point a car at the exit of a corner, gas it and it will go there; In FM3 you have to point the car through every inch of the corner, from turn in to before, during and after the apex. Smooth optimal lines are only accomplished with very precise steering and throttle input that will change through every inch of a corner
When I first read this earlier after only playing for a short time, I thought no way, these guys must have been drinking too much T10 Kool Aid. Nope, that's right on the mark. You can only really notice it at the long-ish turn at the bottom of the hill. The cars will not roll themselves through the corner. You have to keep a really steady, and precise throttle. Not enough and the car will start turning in too soon. Too much and the nose washes out. It's not a gimmie either, you do have to work at it.

Anyway, I still wish there was a hair less grip, but I've found plenty of nuance where I thought there was little, so I'm pretty happy about the whole thing now. I just had to find it's groove. I think they've done a great job with it.

Top Bottom