• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 Demo Discussion Thread

clashfan

Flo_Evans said:
1 hour to track down a 360 arcade - gave up, got the pro fuck it!
15 minutes to remember gamertag and live login info - FloEvans360!
15 setting up my 360mi - I look retarded!
1 hour to download big ass demo - I need faster internet!
Rest of the night to spend with Forza 3 demo? - AWESOME! :D

So far, steering feels weird! (I have been playing GT4 with a DS3 though... no speed sensitivity whatsoever! you can go lock-to-lock instantly at 100mph+ and really fuck some shit up).

Track looks dope as hell. Cars a little "eh" but I am digging it. Tires seem to be super softs for easy demoing... trying not to compare to "other" "demo" but weight transfer feels "off", might be exaggerated on "other" "demo"

You are a crazy mofo! :lol

AMUSIX

At first I thought the demo was too small...but then I got into it :)

OK, sure, there's only 1 track...but there are a few options:
-standard race
-time trials
-drift scoring challenges
doing this with all 5 cars had given me a happy amount of variety.

and then you can also practice the track in reverse (it plays GREAT in reverse, by the way) Just start a time trial, shut off the reverse warning in the HUD options, and turn around.

Actually, I'd love to hear how people are liking the track in reverse...I'm finding that it really does play differently, especially with the entrance into that hairpin.

DarkJC

acm2000 said:
so make the fanatec your first wheel, its better than g25

Well thanks for the advice, but no, I don't have $350 to drop on another wheel, I haven't even had the G25 for long.

edit: Ooh, but I didn't know about the Fanatec Pure Edition wheel which is compatible with my G25 pedals...$200 sounds more appealing...

Flo_Evans

You know I thought I would really hate the rewind feature, but I have to say it is quite nice for practicing a single corner over and over. I like how if you use it makes your hot lap "!" and not count as a "clean" run.

Oh no I am turning teh casual :lol

dejay

Banned
Flo_Evans said:
You know I thought I would really hate the rewind feature, but I have to say it is quite nice for practicing a single corner over and over. I like how if you use it makes your hot lap "!" and not count as a "clean" run.

I didn't use the rewind for an hour playing it last night, then I tried it. Pretty cool, as you say, for practising certain corners and sections. At first I thought it was going to be a novelty but it does have it's uses. I can see myself using it, if only to get gold in certain races that aren't interesting me.

Iknos

Flo_Evans said:

Yeah I've used it once to see if I could pull off what I thought was an impossible overtake on a corner. After a few tries I did. Played with a controller and it didn't see as inconvenient to rewind. With a wheel I'm so focused on my steering.

I overtook a Cayenne S BTW. As I was passing it I looked to the left at it and I was for some reason expecting a soccer mom in there. :lol Seeing that sort of SUV in a racer was kind of funny. They should be fun to drive.

You can go into the pits? Interesting - you learn something new every day. :)

About the G25, I read on a German forum that there is actually a G25 mod that allows you to use it on the 360. May be worth looking into.

cjelly said:
Music while racing?

In my Forza Motorsport?

I'll be glad when the full game is out and I won't have to reset the "in game music" option to 0 every time I play! :lol

That, and having a shitload more tracks, cars, liveries to play with....

Lucius86

Banned
cjelly said:
Music while racing?

In my Forza Motorsport?

First thing I did when I went into the demo was remove the music too!!

This demo was awesome - I love the feeling the cars have. Yes, graphically the game is worse than the footage shown so far from GT5....but if I wanted a pretty racer I would get Dirt 2 or something. But I don't. I want a really good racing sim, and this game appears to have that covered pretty well.

Alright, this post is about the in game car graphics. These shots were taken off screen. The top picture is during the menu screens, the bottom is in game during replays.

3952952618_608f69a737_b.jpg

Check out the wheel. The overall detail of the wheel has dropped. The livery is much lower quality, a problem F2 also had.

3952181137_d1bb3cc643_b.jpg

The lip spoiler's bottom edge has taken a hit. You can see the difference in the way the white and yellow lines are different in the two. The soft beveled edge at the left of the taillight is lost on the in game model. It is replaced with just a strait line. This seems to happen to all of the small detailed edges and seams.

3952959846_78e7cc1eed_b.jpg

In this one you can see the overall decrease in details. See how the circle at the far left of the car turns into a white dot on the in game model. You can also see the strait lines that make up the round headlight housing in the in game model. The menu screen model is nice and round.

3952183377_d92d388b6e_b.jpg

The taillights look completely different. The exhaust pipes loss a lot of details. And just look at the different body panel seams and lines, lot less detail.

3952962078_080b4041f1_b.jpg

You can see the headlights are dumbed down and the rounded edge coming from the hood into the bumper is not that round at all.

I made this post because I'm pissed that the game doesn't even feature the awesome menu screen car models when it counts, during actual gameplay and replays. What's the point in having great looking car models to look at, but when I actually drive the cars they loss most of the details that made them look amazing in the first place?

The Ferrari California's in game model looks ugly compared to the menu screen model.

eso76

sportzhead said:
Alright, this post is about the in game car graphics. These shots were taken off screen. The top picture is during the menu screens, the bottom is in game during replays.

check the mini's headlights in close camera during replays if you want to be shocked about the drop in geometry from menu to ingame.

Oh well, i guess fm3 models are indeed future proof...actually those 400k poly models will only be useful on xbox720 i guess.

Whoa! I found the leaderboards!

:lol

So awesome! It's like its own little time trial mode!

AND I'M IN THIRD PLACE for the Cali!

Fucking love this game. With this, ODST and the BruLe demo, jesus, this week.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
A big :lol at the folks having a dig at the graphics in this game. Show me any other racer that looks this good with a rock solid 60fps and amazingly realistic physics. Really, the Forza team have done an incredible job on this.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
sportzhead said:
I made this post because I'm pissed that the game doesn't even feature the awesome menu screen car models when it counts, during actual gameplay and replays. What's the point in having great looking car models to look at, but when I actually drive the cars they loss most of the details that made them look amazing in the first place?

The Ferrari California's in game model looks ugly compared to the menu screen model.

Well, frankly, you should have been paying attention. We knew that the menu features higher res/higher poly models. We've seen direct feed video before the demo was released. There's no reason to be "pissed." There's no trickery going on here. Maybe next gen we can have it both ways :D

RSTEIN said:
Well, frankly, you should have been paying attention. We knew that the menu features higher res/higher poly models. We've seen direct feed video before the demo was released. There's no reason to be "pissed." There's no trickery going on here. Maybe next gen we can have it both ways :D

When was this stated? Also, Che never said anything about a higher quality car model being used in photo mode.

eso76

sportzhead said:
When was this stated? Also, Che never said anything about a higher quality car model being used in photo mode.

oh, yes, Che did say something. He denied it !

still, don't get me wrong, game looks beautiful from typical ingame and replay cameras (i have a lancer evo replay running right now and it looks awesome in places) but closeups reveal a HUGE drop in quality. Which i was expecting (i did never buy the no model swapping for photomode claims) just not this much.
It's not like "other games" constantly throw 200k poly models at you, but they do feature some lod menagement which shows the highest lod when needed and hides the transition between different lods very well.

I'm starting to really feel the driving physics though, can't wait for the fanatec.

acm2000

as ive speculated before, the game uses the 360s GPU tesselation in photomode on the car models, that was very obvious from the first picture released

AMUSIX

mclaren777 said:
I've driven at least 200 laps in the FM3 demo and it's the real deal. Turn 10 should be really proud of themselves.
now do a few timetrial laps in reverse...turn 1's a bitch, as well as that turn just past the big rocks and before the reservoir.

Atrophis

sportzhead said:

Not true. He specifically stated that photo mode does not swap the model used but its quite clear thats not the case. The models during gameplay are nowhere near as good as the photomode models.

I dont think anyone expected the menu models to be playable but with that statement Che claimed what we see in photomode is what we drive.

Gowans

AMUSIX isn't kidding, just had a quick go and the reverse track is excellent.

Got all certified times on the leaderboards now, just need to up the speed.

What's the deal with the half and full circles near the assists? Full/limited etc?

Also is there a full list of what will break your certification.

Rewind, hitting a car, leaving the track and crashing it?

Also I'm rubbish at drifting, need to get better.

PS Diablo your scores are ridiculous.

jonremedy

Gowans007 said:
What's the deal with the half and full circles near the assists? Full/limited etc?

They way I figured it is:

half-circle ABS = anti-lock
full-circle ABS = anti-lock + auto-brake

half-circle TCS = traction control
full-circle TCS = traction control + stability control

half-circle AUTO = manual shifting
full-circle AUTO = automatic shifting
(no-circle AUTO = manual w/clutch)

BenjaminBirdie said:
Whoa! I found the leaderboards!

:lol

So awesome! It's like its own little time trial mode!

AND I'M IN THIRD PLACE for the Cali!

Fucking love this game. With this, ODST and the BruLe demo, jesus, this week.

I really like how this is set up also. SHIFT has this thing where the event lit up red if someone on your friend list beat your score that would be something nice to have for Forza. (Did Forza 2 has friend only leaderboard? I don't recall if it did) but it would be nice to see your friend drift score / lap time before you race particular event.

ShapeGSX

Atrophis said:
Not true. He specifically stated that photo mode does not swap the model used but its quite clear thats not the case. The models during gameplay are nowhere near as good as the photomode models.

Is it possible that it uses the same exact model, but with vertexes removed dynamically by software? Technically, he wouldn't be lying... :)

Gowans

jonremedy said:
They way I figured it is:

half-circle ABS = anti-lock
full-circle ABS = anti-lock + auto-brake

half-circle TCS = traction control
full-circle TCS = traction control + stability control

half-circle AUTO = manual shifting
full-circle AUTO = automatic shifting
(no-circle AUTO = manual w/clutch)

Thanks man, makes sense.

amar212

eso76 said:
I'm starting to really feel the driving physics though, can't wait for the fanatec.

I'm somehow dissapointed with the physics as represented on Microsoft FF Wheel.

I've played Shift recently, and everything regarding physics, mass and weight transfer and acceleration/braking momentum feels so much more advanced in Shift.

I have a problem that whells are making lock-to-lock too fast, while acceleration somehow lacks "analogue" feel. Same goes to braking - I'm driving all assits off, ABS included, and FM2 had a much better feel of non-ABS braking and corresponding understeer and oversteer of the car.

Another thing that bothers me is that I can't use left-right view on the wheel, so mirrors are 100% unusable in cockpit view. I didn't have that problem in FM2 because there was no cokpit view, but now it is somehow irritating.

I have high hopes some of those will be tackeld in the full game.

amar212 said:
I'm somehow dissapointed with the physics as represented on Microsoft FF Wheel.

I've played Shift recently, and everything regarding physics, mass and weight transfer and acceleration/braking momentum feels so much more advanced in Shift.

I have a problem that whells are making lock-to-lock too fast, while acceleration somehow lacks "analogue" feel. Same goes to braking - I'm driving all assits off, ABS included, and FM2 had a much better feel of non-ABS braking and corresponding understeer and oversteer of the car.

Another thing that bothers me is that I can't use left-right view on the wheel, so mirrors are 100% unusable in cockpit view. I didn't have that problem in FM2 because there was no cokpit view, but now it is somehow irritating.

I have high hopes some of those will be tackeld in the full game.

What I wish they'd also fix concerning the cockpit view is when you do look left and right the camera is still in the cockpit. As it is now, it's just an external view of the track. Same goes for the rear view look. It breaks the feel of realism in the cockpit view. You only get a cockpit view if you are looking strait out the front of the car.

Also the car needs to pitch forward when braking hard in cockpit view.

sportzhead said:

Up until Played the demo I was under the impression that the high poly model becomes active in the 30fps replays, but I was wrong, and I agree that the ferrari is the worst changing model out of the 5 in the demo. I would have prefered the car to maintain more of it's detail for a small hit to the world's visuals being dumbed down instead.

Photomode will change the car around to the high poly one right? what about any broken parts to the car, are they going to be high poly in photomode too? I worry a little bit about what turn10 are doing here with the cars.

Diablohead said:
Up until Played the demo I was under the impression that the high poly model becomes active in the 30fps replays, but I was wrong, and I agree that the ferrari is the worst changing model out of the 5 in the demo. I would have prefered the car to maintain more of it's detail for a small hit to the world's visuals being dumbed down instead.

Photomode will change the car around to the high poly one right? what about any broken parts to the car, are they going to be high poly in photomode too? I worry a little bit about what turn10 are doing here with the cars.
Yeah, I would like Che to come and explain this. Didn't he specifically say that photomode did not feature higher poly models though?

Jube3

sportzhead said:
What I wish they'd also fix concerning the cockpit view is when you do look left and right the camera is still in the cockpit. As it is now, it's just an external view of the track. Same goes for the rear view look. It breaks the feel of realism in the cockpit view. You only get a cockpit view if you are looking strait out the front of the car.

Hit up on the right analog and the turn and you will still be in the cockpit. Dunno if you can look back though.

striKeVillain! said:
Yeah, I would like Che to come and explain this. Didn't he specifically say that photomode did not feature higher poly models though?
Something along those lines I think.

As I also just said in the comparison thread, I wish the high poly cars were used, even if it was only my car, in replay mode. All those sweeping custom cameras will not do the lower detailed cars any justice.

And after seeing that ferrari video and the intro stuff you kind of expect the better model cars to appear in a replay.

Falagard

sportzhead said:

You can look left and right in cockpit view without it being external, you have to hold forward on the analogue stick and then pull it left or right.

Jube3 said:
Hit up on the right analog and the turn and you will still be in the cockpit. Dunno if you can look back though.

Indeed. When you turn the right stick while holding it up you can look around the cockpit. You cannot look up and down though and you don't have a GT5-style way of looking back either, which is a shame, because looking back is already mapped to the Y-button and doesn't really need the stick.

Falagard

striKeVillain! said:

Wait, who says photomode does feature higher poly models? We don't have photomode in the demo.

Falagard said:
Wait, who says photomode does feature higher poly models? We don't have photomode in the demo.
All the screens turn10 have given out over the last few months, che said that the cars and "skybox" were never adjusted or raised higher for photomode in game, it's somewhere in the mamoth forza thread.

What we are seeing in the demo is the high poly cars in the menus, but in race and replay we get half if not less then that polygon cars, so does photomode in the final game change the model for the better looking one like che says? replay mode obviously doesn't even though the replays run at half the frame rate.

Diablohead said:
All the screens turn10 have given out over the last few months, che said that the cars and "skybox" were never adjusted or raised higher for photomode in game, it's somewhere in the mamoth forza thread.

What we are seeing in the demo is the high poly cars in the menus, but in race and replay we get half if not less then that polygon cars, so does photomode in the final game change the model for the better looking one like che says? replay mode obviously doesn't even though the replays run at half the frame rate.
Was just typing this.

nib95

Banned
Diablohead said:

Don't mean to start pointing fingers or anything, but does that mean Che lied? Was lied to? or just plain misinformed? Seems to be a lot of this kind of nonsense coming from the Team 10 camp, sometimes even about the competition.

In terms of the visuals themselves, it doesn't matter since the game and models still look great. But on a ethical front, community managers or whatever shouldn't be openly lying to the public about these things. Suspicions always were that photomode upped the quality a little, and even admitting as much wouldn't have made a difference tbh. Generally that's what photo modes in most games do!

Jube3 said:
Cool, thanks for the tip.

This is what che said to a poster.

Ding said:
Anywho, sorry about assuming that higher poly models are used for photo-mode. I could have sworn I had read that, but it could have been speculation, or Forza 2 lore, or heck, maybe even GT5 confusion. That said, why wouldn't you do that?

chespace said:
Whoa, didn't mean to set off a meltdown. Sorry if the word "wrong" offended you, but it was factually wrong -- which was what I meant to express. :p

My point is that photomode is basically the game engine paused, with added post-effects that you don't get during gameplay (some AA, motion blur, and DOF) but none of the other stuff you stated as fact.

Full quote
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16494589&postcount=2473

I have a question, and apologizes if this has already been answered.

How old is the code/whatever in this demo? Could be an older build than the final GM one? Just curious. I only ask because maybe some of these nitpicks could be solved based on that alone? I love racing sims so Ill be snagging up both but I'm going to be putting the graphics/models/all this stuff to trial once I get the full game, installed on my HD.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Moving beyond graphics (please for the love of all that is holy can we move beyond the graphics), I'm simply floored with how different this game feels over F2.

The AI in this game is incredible. Each lap feels so alive. I'm literally at the edge of my seat because I don't know what the AI is going to do. For example, this morning before work I did two laps with the Flying Lizard. On the straightaway leading into turn 2, well before the actual turn and natural breaking area (I had the arrows on), I was right up behind the car infront of me. I was inches from his ass. I'm thinking, OK, I'll get this guy on the inside.

Guess what this fucker decides to do? HE TAPS THE BREAKS. I was totally unprepared for this. The AI actually had the sense to tap his breaks to force me off his ass. I slam on my breaks and lose a lot of ground.

Next race I was in the R8. We're going up the hill after turn 2. There's a bit of a right bend leading up to the tight left turn. I'm on the outside of a Z08 (I think). Going into the bend this guy turns hard left to force me off my line. I was screaming WTF?? These guys are brutal :lol

It's also nice to see the odd car fly off the track because they missed the turn.

I'm having a lot of fun with this :lol

Top Bottom