• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 Demo Discussion Thread

ShapeGSX

I know that autocrossing isn't road racing, but I relied on ABS when I was autocrossing. There is so much going on in an autocross in such a short amount of time that relying on ABS allowed me to concentrate more on turning.

As such, I've always used ABS in racing games.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Flo_Evans said:
In most race series it is banned. Really tricky with the controller though, I will wait till full game is out so I can adjust the sensitivity.

I was also thinking of taking apart one of my old controllers and installing a tougher spring on the left trigger..... :lol

Yeah :lol I raced with the Mini and R8 with ABS on. Then I turned the ABS off with the Flying Lizard. I was in for a very rude awakening on the first turn :D

RSTEIN said:
Yeah :lol I raced with the Mini and R8 with ABS on. Then I turned the ABS off with the Flying Lizard. I was in for a very rude awakening on the first turn :D

I can't even drive the flying lizard without plowing into walls, its way too punishing. Even exiting the start up line sends you into a complete loss of grip if you punch the throttle.

skyfinch

Don't hate a playa for saying this but.....track in reverse > track forwards.

There's the section about half way in where you drive down that massive hill and get a good appreciation for the graphics. Insane draw distance.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
TheHeretic said:
I can't even drive the flying lizard without plowing into walls, its way too punishing. Even exiting the start up line sends you into a complete loss of grip if you punch the throttle.

Yeah, I was pulling/releasing RT like every milisecond to keep the car in control. Felt like I was playing a shooter or someting. :lol

skyfinch said:
Don't hate a playa for saying this but.....track in reverse > track forwards.

I agree :D

Julia_LouisDreyfus_jr_20090225.png

Falagard

So... my MS wheel has been broken for a while. Dropped one too many times (I have 2 kids, age 7 and 4 and they've knocked it off the little table it's attached to, and knocked the table over itself several times). Most of the buttons on the wheel wouldn't work unless I banged it hard enough to hurt my hand, and then sometimes they'd work for a few minutes and then stop working.

I finally took the time today to try to fix it and it worked :) Very happy.

I basically took the wheel apart with an Allen wrench, and pushed on all the wires I could find.

Woot!

Anyone ever feel the rear of the mini trying to escape when driving fast and turning a little? it's so fucking awesome :lol it's like the rear is heavy and wobbles like a shopping trolly

I play with all assists off and like the challenge of finding the sweet spot, just before lock regarding ABS. Plus we get a little more cash that way in career.

I'm sure I'm nuts but I'm think I'm able to trail brake better in F3 (demo at least) that 2. Maybe it's because the added weight of the cars?

Loving the demo for sure and can't wait till retail. LCE here I come.

jaydogg691

So I was playing the demo last night and it makes me rethink that I should have played this game with the controller at E3. Playing with the controller is really good and I think the need for a steering wheel might be a second thought for me. I did some time trials with R8 and the GT3 and got some good results (placed in the top 2%). I'm really impressed and can't wait until launch.

sneaky77

Does the microsoft wheel work well for this game? I am not hardcore enough to drop $300 on the other wheel and I never played a driving game with the wheel but is cheap enough that I am considering it

Peterthumpa

sneaky77 said:
Does the microsoft wheel work well for this game? I am not hardcore enough to drop $300 on the other wheel and I never played a driving game with the wheel but is cheap enough that I am considering it
This.

pr0cs

sneaky77 said:
I have rev1 of the wheel that I bought for dirt cheap on ebay, works great. I really couldn't imagine playing this game without a wheel.
The wheel also works great for the PGR series, Flatout:UC.

sneaky77 said:
I was the same way. I went out and got a Microsoft wheel and I am very pleased with it. It works very well. I'm still probably better with a controller but the wheel feels very responsive and adds a different element to the game. I say go for it.

skyfinch

jaydogg691 said:
So I was playing the demo last night and it makes me rethink that I should have played this game with the controller at E3. Playing with the controller is really good and I think the need for a steering wheel might be a second thought for me. I did some time trials with R8 and the GT3 and got some good results (placed in the top 2%). I'm really impressed and can't wait until launch.

I actually have the Microsoft wheel in my closet, just too lazy to set it up. Of all the games I used it on (PGR3, PGR4, Forza 2) I've clocked in better times with the standard controller. Don't ask me why, though.

jabipun

skyfinch said:
I actually have the Microsoft wheel in my closet, just too lazy to set it up. Of all the games I used it on (PGR3, PGR4, Forza 2) I've clocked in better times with the standard controller. Don't ask me why, though.

You'd be surprised at how many people clock in better times with a controller over a wheel.

Flo_Evans

TheHeretic said:
Oh Jesus. Yeah driving without ABS is pretty insane, you really have to be careful with the brakes. Is there a technical advantage to not using ABS or is it just an automated system driving competitions frown upon?

Well, there is a slight weight savings with no ABS, but generally it is an advantage to have it. In braking tests pro drivers can beat ABS by .0001 seconds in braking tests, in real world situations or non-pro drivers can pretty much never beat the computer at modulating the brakes. I like using no ABS cause it gives you more to do, but like I said the brakes are way to sensitive in the demo. Maybe I will try it some more when I get home.

It's pretty much a fan thing. They had TCS and ABS in formula one a few years ago and all the fans complained. They want to see the drivers driving the cars, not the computer. They banned it the next year.

jabipun said:
You'd be surprised at how many people clock in better times with a controller over a wheel.

And totally lose the entire experience of simulating driving. Makes no sense to pick a controller over a ff wheel, if you have both. Maybe some play for top lap times vs the joy of simulated supercar driving on exotic tracks.

If I could navigate a 3D world with a lightgun and play something like Modern Combat 2, I would, instead of using a joystick.

Natal, maybe...

tirant

TheHeretic said:
As far as realism goes is turning off ABS actually realistic anymore? Playing without it is definitely harder but do real race drivers ever go without it?

If you get used to play without ABS, you will eventually get better times.

TheHeretic said:
For some reason i've always played these types of games in Automatic. I'm not a big racing fan, and when I do play driving games they are arcade, though I think Forza 3 and eventually GT5 might be the excuse I need to get into the genre.

I drive manual in real life but the switching of gears is a lot more hectic in a racing game and for whatever reason I never bothered to give manual a shot. The first race I played in manual, in Class C with full realism barring ABS and medium opponents gave me a win, shaved 2 seconds off my time and put me in the top 13% of drivers. It was also a lot more strategic (I found myself making some rookie mistakes too high gear going up a hill, was actually losing speed :lol , i'd never do that IRL) AND entertaining.

There's no other way to play it really.

Once you get used to manual, you will never go back to automatic. It's just so much more fun (and gives faster lap times).

dejay

Banned
sneaky77 said:

I'd recommend the wheel for this game. Before the demo I was considering getting a fancy wheel, so I could use it on my PS3 too, but I'm enjoying the MS wheel with FM3. I've got a chunk of rubber lodged behind the brake pedal to give it some firmness because it's too soft on it's own, but that's an easy mod everyone with the wheel should be doing.

In other games my times were better with a controller, but I think it's the other way with this game. I got into the top 10% with the Flying Lizard with no assists and I'm pretty sure I couldn't have managed the braking and fine steering with a controller.

skybaby

It's much easier to play with ABS off this time around, the brakes lock after pressing much further on the trigger, not very early like on F2. The rumble also helps alot, you can feel when you're about to lockup or lose grip just from the feedback of each wheel. F2 had the same effects but it's been greatly improved.
This on a standard controller!

Lot's of people found no ABS in forza 2 bad? I never or hardly ever locked up by brakes with ABS off, it was forza 1 with the broken brakes which with abs off, would lock at 10% :lol

schuey7

The fujimi kaido vid is so good that I started rewatching a few Initial D episodes.:lol.Anyway the demo is sweet and I really had no problems with jaggies.

NeoGIF

I think the Demo is absolutely amazing. I had to pry myself away from it. The full version can't come soon enough. Well done, Turn 10. :D

imtehman

Banned
sO GAF, help me make the right choice.

I can get either the $329 Porsche wheel that comes with shifter and pedals or get the MS official wheel and SF4 tournament edition stick.

Which would you get?

reaver18

man im disappointed. after playing the new need for speed my expectations were very high. sadly need for speed blows this game away. I don't feel like I'm in the car in this game. something need for speed excels at. graphics are disappointing. it feels like the game was rushed. just my first opinions, not trying to troll.

Dabanton

NeoGIF said:
I think the Demo is absolutely amazing. I had to pry myself away from it. The full version can't come soon enough. Well done, Turn 10. :D

Ive been playing it on and off over the day the leaderboards have added an even more competitive edge especially trying to beat friends times.

Slicing seconds and milliseconds off your performances.:D

schuey7 said:
The fujimi kaido vid is so good that I started rewatching a few Initial D episodes.:lol.Anyway the demo is sweet and I really had no problems with jaggies.

good idea i should rewatch the live action initial d movie i have. :lol

main character is about as interesting as sand paper though.

imtehman said:
sO GAF, help me make the right choice.

I can get either the $329 Porsche wheel that comes with shifter and pedals or get the MS official wheel and SF4 tournament edition stick.

Which would you get?

You'll probably get a more real life experience with the fanatec but a few people on thread have commented that the MS wheel works even better in FM3 than 2. Best experience = porsche wheel, compromised but still good experience = MS wheel

h3ro

Opus Angelorum said:
I sat down to download the demo and my second Xbox 360 (Elite) died...

:(

My Elite E74'd right after playing the demo yesterday. :/

Forza 3... System Killer.

Raelson

schuey7 said:
The cone!
They must have stolen that part from Initial D! :lol

RayStorm

Diablohead said:
Lot's of people found no ABS in forza 2 bad? I never or hardly ever locked up by brakes with ABS off, it was forza 1 with the broken brakes which with abs off, would lock at 10% :lol

Period!

And believe it or not, while I had to manually set up my cars in F1 to have about 50% break force, a mate of mine didn't have to. Such a smooth driver, insane. Yet the top guys in the rankings beat both of us handily.

Pimpbaa

reaver18 said:
man im disappointed. after playing the new need for speed my expectations were very high. sadly need for speed blows this game away. I don't feel like I'm in the car in this game. something need for speed excels at. graphics are disappointing. it feels like the game was rushed. just my first opinions, not trying to troll.

WTF. What the hell is wrong with you? Shift is inferior in every way.

I just got done playing the demo, I was really impressed by it. Haven't tried the MS wheel with it yet, but I plan to put that together later tonight and put it to use.

The graphics were pretty amazing, definitely a huge step up from F2. My only complaints are the cockpits, which look pretty video-gamey and stand in pretty stark contrast to the realism everywhere else. I also had some frame rate hiccups in cockpit view, which are hopefully gone in the retail.

The driving was fun though, still felt very Forza. I'll definitely be picking this up in a month.

shpankey

not an idiot
reaver18 said:
lol, whaaa...?

That sense of speed you're talking about... that's in arcade racing games. This is a simulation.

imtehman

Banned
so one of my xbox's came back from repair, and it had a new serial number and on the back says Service Date:2009/09/20

System looks brand new, my question is, is it new and are teh Elites Jasper?

I ask here because the x360 repair thread is useless

h3ro

imtehman said:
so one of my xbox's came back from repair, and it had a new serial number and on the back says Service Date:2009/09/20

System looks brand new, my question is, is it new and are teh Elites Jasper?

I ask here because the x360 repair thread is useless

It's not a Jasper since that would require a new Power Brick since the Jasper uses a different voltage.

Jeez, there have been quite a few failures since this demo came out...:lol

Pimpbaa

PS3 fanboy "Gran Turismo is the best!

360 fanboy "Forza is the best!"

Person who was dropped on their head as a child "nEed FOr SpeEd SHIFT is teh BEST!"

retarded.gif

I agree with the people who think the track is not good for racing.
-Pretty narrow except for some places
-some of the turns have spots where your car bottoms out and sends you spinning into the wall. AI uses it to their advantage too, they'll take a different line if your next to them and let you take your chance and so far I've lost all those gambles :(

hairpin seems to the best place to pass but after that its almost like a procession

Top Bottom