• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 Demo Discussion Thread

pmj

I was also reminded of F355 on Dreamcast when I reached a turn in a crest a bit too quickly and suddenly twisted in an uncomfortable way which had to be corrected. I forget which track in F355 this always happened when you were pushing the car, but it was pretty much the only track I ever drove in that game, partly due to that corner. Actually, I don't have a driver license nor do I play a lot of racing games, so maybe this is perfectly normal and happens all the time in similar situations.

I thought it would be more difficult for sure. Since I wanted to see what a sim racer was all about I turned every assist off, switched to cockpit view and drove 6-7 laps and screwed up enough that I felt a rewind was in order... twice. I even got into the 7% best times with the California. Far from the top times of course, but still. The rewind is crazy too, it's like it has a will of its own. Do you press it once and it rewinds a set amount of time? Should you hold it and release it? Or should you press something to cancel out of the rewinding? I only used it twice but it didn't feel the least intuitive and I kept mashing buttons when I wanted to start driving again only for the rewinding to continue a bit more.

Not really my kind of game. I do wish they had given us another track to drive. I'd prefer a real life one; these fantasy tracks do nothing for me. And please, more AA next time. I don't care if you have to reduce detail elsewhere, just get the image quality up.

Sorry for the negativity. As I said, I'm not a fan of the genre and that probably explains why I'm not excited about this. On the plus side, now I don't have to buy an expensive wheel that I can probably never get to work on my Linux box.

qirex99

Banned
U guys are funny - the demo looks awesome.

WAY better than FM3, the cars are a joy, the backgrounds are awesome.
Just play the game and enjoy...

qirex99

Banned
pmj said:
I was also reminded of F355 on Dreamcast when I reached a turn in a crest a bit too quickly and suddenly twisted in an uncomfortable way which had to be corrected. I forget which track in F355 this always happened when you were pushing the car, but it was pretty much the only track I ever drove in that game, partly due to that corner. Actually, I don't have a driver license nor do I play a lot of racing games, so maybe this is perfectly normal and happens all the time in similar situations.

I thought it would be more difficult for sure. Since I wanted to see what a sim racer was all about I turned every assist off, switched to cockpit view and drove 6-7 laps and screwed up enough that I felt a rewind was in order... twice. I even got into the 7% best times with the California. Far from the top times of course, but still. The rewind is crazy too, it's like it has a will of its own. Do you press it once and it rewinds a set amount of time? Should you hold it and release it? Or should you press something to cancel out of the rewinding? I only used it twice but it didn't feel the least intuitive and I kept mashing buttons when I wanted to start driving again only for the rewinding to continue a bit more.

Not really my kind of game. I do wish they had given us another track to drive. I'd prefer a real life one; these fantasy tracks do nothing for me. And please, more AA next time. I don't care if you have to reduce detail elsewhere, just get the image quality up.

Sorry for the negativity. As I said, I'm not a fan of the genre and that probably explains why I'm not excited about this. On the plus side, now I don't have to buy an expensive wheel that I can probably never get to work on my Linux box.

adhd much?

press the rewind ONCE and it goes the next previous "index point" - if you just *watch* and relax it is CLEAR!

pmj

qirex99 said:
adhd much?

press the rewind ONCE and it goes the next previous "index point" - if you just *watch* and relax it is CLEAR!
Uh, yeah, probably. Though it's difficult to relax when it rewinds past the straight where you really wanted to begin and instead drops you off in the previous corner.

GavinGT

Banned
chespace said:
Glad you're enjoying the demo. One clarification about photomode and screenshots we've released so far. Aside from the added effects such as AA, DOF, and motion blur, all assets you see in photomode are the same although I do stand corrected on one factor which is the player car. They do have higher detail in photomode while all other cars, the environments, etc. are exactly what you see in game. And as you know in replays everything is the same. Anyway, did not mean to mislead or 'play dumb' with earlier statements as I misunderstood how LODs were being used in the various modes. That said, many of the screenshots we've released thus far have used the in-game graphics car models since we often shoot a scene including cars that aren't the player car. <shrug> It all looks good and representative of the game, imo.

you-lie-1450-1252561174-84.jpg

abrasion

Banned
Would have been nice if demo went in reverse mode too, considering the assets are there (still appreciate it though)
Would've been nice if exclusive gold only demos didn't exist, for goddamn shame - ugh.
Amazing graphics though, I don't care what people say, it looks really good.

Also, wish I could download the ghost cars of the top people and VIEW them, not just race them.
Otherwise - good stuff.

Ptaaty

Elfforkusu said:
There's way too much car left for that to have been a 200 mph crash.

What happens in real life is the car evaporates into debris. Probably hard to get Ferrari (as just one example) to allow that in a game.

Yeah the damage isn't really close to realistic. Not even at the performance level. What it does do is create enough incentive to drive correctly.

Unless you are in an arcade game, this is my main reason to prefer damage modeling, to encourage better driving. On sim settings, Forza seems about right to me, for most crashes it disrupts about the right amount of handling and speed.

When you go too far and have a huge crash, it doesn't keep the right amount of damage (it is a scaled factor it seems, the worse the crash, the less realistic, it pulls back damage). This is probably in large part just the license terms, the rest to allow some limited movement to get back to pits and continue to race. This isn't as needed with the rewind feature, but in really long races in FM1/2 it was.

After a little meh at my first crack at the demo, I went back and am now really looking forward to it. Visually a big step up from FM2, cars more planted, etc. I need to look if there are more control options, but hopefully there is deadzone adjustment, full button configs, etc.

Hajaz

how long does it take for gold demos to become available on silver anyway?
ive got it on disc but my drives pretty worn out so i get some texture popups sometimes

diditz

Neo Member
im sorry if this been asked before
can we race against ghost from friendlist? or it just top racer only?
somehow no one in my friendlist played it, so i cant try :(

Brakara

With still almost a month until the release of the full game, I wish the demo had a little more replayability. Would it have been so hard to include racing the reverse track, and the option for more laps when racing the AI?

That being said, my only real complaint is using rewind when you have the wheel. Having the wheel yanked out of your hands (due to FFB still being active) is really annoying.

Brakara said:
That being said, my only real complaint is using rewind when you have the wheel. Having the wheel yanked out of your hands (due to FFB still being active) is really annoying.
Hmm... that's not great. They should probably turn off mapping the feedback when you're rewinding.

Naughtboy

Banned
I for one am pumped with the game, love the demo; literally play it every day. The graphics are a HUGE improvement over F2 and the game feels tight. The one thing Forza does better than any other race i've played is the size and weight of the cars. Che don't listen to the haters, there only a small percentage any way, this game rocks hard...Excellent job Turn10

Rizob

Brakara said:
While it's kind of cool at first, i hope there's an option to turn it off in the full game. A few times it's nearly took my fingers off! It also aggresively swings the wheel to full lock, when i never even reach full lock during gameplay so it can't be reproducing my actions very accurately. I don't want Forza 3 to break my wheel.

Psychotext said:
I realised that I've probably spent about 6 hours on the demo... if not more. :lol

Same as, finding out about infinite laps via the leaderboard has given this so much more life as I compete against friends. Overall I love the demo, it feels easier than Forza 2 with all assists off but I think that is because the way it behaved in 2 was unrealistic. Can't really get a definitive answer for handling until the full game where you can actually tinker with setups. Really like the driver A.I (The other Porsche on hard is a pushy guy at the start) and it's fun to fight with them and actually worry about losing ground due to mistakes. Someone mentioned it earlier but the sense of speed when you come down the hill in a pack is really great, lose it in that section and your eating the wall, love it! I shall lightly touch the visuals topic by saying it is a marked improvement on the previous offering and they are amazing when they count. I want great detail on the menus, photo mode and the replays but the dip during gameplay is something I struggle to notice because I am busy trying to race. I do however have one visual complaint and that is the cockpit view, I really want to just pull it back a little bit more. After doing tens of laps trying to get a decent time (#717 in Porsche last time I checked) I always struggle on the first corner because it is very hard to work out where the front right hand side of the car is. Trying to hug the inside I will more than often clip the grass, same goes for the slight right coming out of the turn at the bottom of the hill, plowed into that barrier often. Ironically though I find that this view has been the most usable in any racing game that I have played but it will be interesting to see if I have problems when there are tracks with more right hand turns.

Turn 10 deserve a big round of applause for what they have made, congrats!

I played a doos few hours myself but i'll take a breather from it for now, will play it over the week for sure but I want to keep coming back and trying to get better without becoming bored of the same cars and track.

Also thank you che for clearing up some stuff, I feel much better now and apologize for biting any heads off about level of details and car models over the days, it just got to me under the skin some how.

Asmodai

Banned
ShapeGSX said:
You just described what happens when you have the damage set to "limited."

Set it to simulation instead. With simulation, you end up with certain gears not working, the engine losing power or stopping altogether. Look at the telemetry and see what is broken. I basically had the entire drive line red after one crash and rollover. I had the gas floored and it just rolled backwards down the hill.

I had it set to simulation. Yeah, performance wasn't great, gearing up had this crash sound effect when I did it, and it pulled strongly to the right. They had the car status screen up and every single line was completely red.

Thing is, it still went 100 mph no problem. It's not "Simulation" at all, that's my point. I just don't think devs should be touting realistic damage and crashes when that's not the case at all.

If the car companies won't let games do that, just tell us that. Say "don't expect the damage to be realistic, unfortunately our licensers won't let us do that." Better to be honest than to mislead and hope noone will notice.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Now that I finally finished Batman: AA I'll probably be playing just the demo until Forza 3 comes out :lol I'm sure I'll never want to race the track when it finally releases.

eso76

ok, i've finally gotten over the lod stuff.

The game looks great, except from those closeup cameras, which really make it look a lot worse than it really is, to the point i was under the wrong belief models were inferior to the ones seen in, example, pgr4.
A poster here (forgot his name) told me i was wrong about that, so i went and checked, and memory really did play tricks on me it seems.

So, uber high lod is only applied to the player's car; we've seen pics showing multiple cars onscreen which still looked great, and i found it hard to believe only one model among them had been beefed up, but after taking a good look at fm3 replays and ingame models, pgr4 photomode pics and pgr4 ingame models, i came to the conclusion that this really is the case, which is not as bad as it seemed (and also explains the differences between those 2 pics with the infiniti, which are not that huge at all btw)

It was the inclusion of those cameras that really started the meltdown, because the game looks absolutely gorgeous otherwise.

demo5.jpg

demo6.jpg

Add AA and AF to these and that's more or less the game we've been seeing for the past few months.

EDIT: of course, that's not counting extreme closeups on single cars.

evolution

Finally played the demo. One thing i really like about the game this time around is that it seems T10 is finally giving the series an identity. The menus and music have some class in a sense. It no longer comes off as an EA racer like the past itrerations did. I hope they build on this going forward.

frontieruk

brendanrfoley said:
After a particularly nasty crash, my Lancer would not top 30mph. Damage is there, folks.

Pfft I got a car do damaged that it wouldn't actually move, the engine revved but no forward motion.

Iknos

I just played some of it again this morning and took a look at that controller steering thing I was talking about. It also applies to the wheel as well. It kicks in when you are going faster than 85-90km/hr.

That makes sense because when you are going that fast and you decide to turn the wheel that sharply you are just going to understeer off the road. I suppose it's there to give players an easier time going down straights without having to carefully correct their steering to remain straight. The controller analog stick doesn't provide a whole lot of degrees of movement so it makes sense.

Psychotext said:
I realised that I've probably spent about 6 hours on the demo... if not more. :lol

I've spent nearly 2 hours and that's quite a bit for a track that is a minute in length long. 2 minutes per race at least.

I spent some time going backwards on the track and I am in love. I prefer it to the normal direction though I like that as well.

I love all the irregularities in the road as well as the nuances of the corners.

Even down the final straight prior to the last corner you come up over a hill and you have to watch your acceleration because you can lose grip as the full weight of the car isn't on your wheels.

Again there isn't a lot of room for passing. If I were to play this online I'd set it to at least 8 laps. There are plenty of places where you can make mistakes so it becomes a test of endurance.

Ugghhhhhh! Well first off I love the demo, graphics are top notch, sounds are amazing, one thing though that has been driving me insane to no end is the ridiculously stupid steering sensitivity, what were they thinking when they adjusted the sensitivity that much? I mean, I honestly dont think I can even move the stick at all without doing some insane sharp turn. Now this is mostly at higher speeds so I understand what they were going for, but dang, make it at least playable with a controller. I cant take a turn the way I want to because of the sensitivity handicap. I sure hope this is adjustable in the final game. Thankfully im still managing some good times with no assists, just posted a 1:00.190 with the GT3, if only the controller settings could be adjusted.

Well anyways, enough of that, I love the game.

That's strange. It's quite the opposite for me. With the controller I can't turn that sharply at all (probably a good thing, I'd end up off the road all the time).

Speaking of steering, it sounds crazy, but it almost seems as though there is a "delay" in the steering. I don't mean in the sense of some techincal glitch. It would obviously be intentional. Just roll along at 30 MPH, move the stick all the way left or right, and there's a pause before the car visually appears to steer left or right. I'm comparing to F2. Anyone notice it, or am I nuts?

On the demo in general, my other main impressions are: image quality in general is much nicer, noticeably less aliasing, sense of speed is much higher than F2 (actually seems too high coming from F2, but is something I can probably adjust to over time), menu system is awesome so far, too.

Asmodai said:
I had it set to simulation. Yeah, performance wasn't great, gearing up had this crash sound effect when I did it, and it pulled strongly to the right. They had the car status screen up and every single line was completely red.

Thing is, it still went 100 mph no problem. It's not "Simulation" at all, that's my point. I just don't think devs should be touting realistic damage and crashes when that's not the case at all.

If the car companies won't let games do that, just tell us that. Say "don't expect the damage to be realistic, unfortunately our licensers won't let us do that." Better to be honest than to mislead and hope noone will notice.

there's no way you'd make it to 100mph with engine damage at 100%. did you check the telemetry screen to see if engine was 100%. in rear engine cars, it takes a lot to get the engine damage to 100%

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
One of the things I like doing in the demo is turn around and start racing the wrong way. You can just keep going cause the race doesn't finish until you've completed 2 laps.
You can do some awesome head on crashes and I also managed to find the pit lane going this way as well. Cool.

SeaOfMadness said:
there's no way you'd make it to 100mph with engine damage at 100%. did you check the telemetry screen to see if engine was 100%. in rear engine cars, it takes a lot to get the engine damage to 100%
Yeah, I could barely hit 40mph when I crashed on Simulation.

eso76

Downhill with the mini and attempting to drift and touching grass resulted in the car rolling over all by itself in a very realistic manner :D

MoeB

evolution said:
Finally played the demo. One thing i really like about the game this time around is that it seems T10 is finally giving the series an identity. The menus and music have some class in a sense. It no longer comes off as an EA racer like the past itrerations did. I hope they build on this going forward.
Ya the menu sounds and looks are starting to look like another racer. Seriously.

eso76 said:
Downhill with the mini and attempting to drift and touching grass resulted in the car rolling over all by itself in a very realistic manner :D
did it then rightside itself in the same manner?

I am new to the Forza series and absolutely love the demo. My lap times in the Mini and the Lancer are in the top 4%. That makes me proud, considering I only started playing this franchise a few days ago.

Sim racers have bored me in the past, but I love the sense of 'racing' Forza delivers. AI drivers block, pass and make over-aggressive mistakes. I never get the sense I am battling a computer with a pre-determined finishing order and a racing line it absolutely 'must' stick to.

It will be a long wait to October 27th.

I thought it was said that if you flipped your car in simulation then the race was over. Is that in the game but not in the demo or did they remove it entirely?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
eso76 said:
oh, yeah..btw, wasn't that supposed to happen only in debug mode ?

Nah. You can flip your car over by moving the analog stick or wheel. With sim damage on, it usually does not bode well for your car although I've actually survived some rollovers.

JardeL

chespace said:
Glad you're enjoying the demo. One clarification about photomode and screenshots we've released so far. Aside from the added effects such as AA, DOF, and motion blur, all assets you see in photomode are the same although I do stand corrected on one factor which is the player car. They do have higher detail in photomode while all other cars, the environments, etc. are exactly what you see in game. And as you know in replays everything is the same. Anyway, did not mean to mislead or 'play dumb' with earlier statements as I misunderstood how LODs were being used in the various modes. That said, many of the screenshots we've released thus far have used the in-game graphics car models since we often shoot a scene including cars that aren't the player car. <shrug> It all looks good and representative of the game, imo.
chespace said:
First of all, at Turn 10, we don't bullshot -- which means everything you see here is real-time taken from in-game gameplay.

There's really no bigger graphics junkie than myself at Turn 10 and I'm constantly surprised by just how insanely next generation the game looks from a visual standpoint.
The biggest graphics junkie at Turn10 misunderstood something. No big deal guys.

Psychotext said:
Hmm... that's not great. They should probably turn off mapping the feedback when you're rewinding.

I kinda like that feature ... it's fun watching your wheel going when you hit rewind.

I really enjoy the friend leaderboard and for a one track demo I think it offer plenty.

Top Bottom