• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 - October 2009 release (ignore the OP at your peril)

I don't think that the replay mode will look as good as the photo mode shots, I think it'll be akin to PGR4/Forza 2 where it just adds a bit more AA. After all, PGR4 and Halo 3 didn't look like their photo mode shots in replay mode.

Not that I care about photo mode or replay mode one bit, who buys a sim racer to sit down and watch races? I'm much more concerned with;

a) Full car listing
b) Full track listing
c) What's new over FM2
d) How it looks when I'm actually playing it

Ding

chespace said:
Asshole.

I ask some questions, and your snide response to them is "Wrong"? That doesn't even parse, you moron.

Seriously, this is your idea of community outreach? Fuck you. Thanks to your sneering little display, F3 for me has moved from a day-one-buy, down to rent-and-then-buy-used. And this is from a guy that just spent $600 on wheel and cockpit hardware, so you just managed to dissipate the remarkable amount of goodwill that I once had for your game. Nice work. Dan would be proud. I'm sure the game will be awesome and I still look forward to playing it, but I'll be damned if I will support a company that thinks it's cool to take cheap shots at their customer base this way. (I realize that it's not fair to paint the entire Turn10 company with Che's stink, but as a customer what other option do I really have? Besides this rant, I mean. :lol )

I've watched just about every video released, thanks. They look great, although they in no way match the even-more-lovely photo mode shots. You're not actually trying to imply that they do, are you? Are you that stupid, or do you just think we are?

chespace said:
Thank you.
Bite me.

Anywho, sorry about assuming that higher poly models are used for photo-mode. I could have sworn I had read that, but it could have been speculation, or Forza 2 lore, or heck, maybe even GT5 confusion. That said, why wouldn't you do that?

KHarvey16

Ding said:
Asshole.

I ask some questions, and your snide response to them is "Wrong"? That doesn't even parse, you moron.

Seriously, this is your idea of community outreach? Fuck you. Thanks to your sneering little display, F3 for me has moved from a day-one-buy, down to rent-and-then-buy-used. And this is from a guy that just spent $600 on wheel and cockpit hardware, so you just managed to dissipate the remarkable amount of goodwill that I once had for your game. Nice work. Dan would be proud. I'm sure the game will be awesome and I still look forward to playing it, but I'll be damned if I will support a company that thinks it's cool to take cheap shots at their customer base this way. (I realize that it's not fair to paint the entire Turn10 company with Che's stink, but as a customer what other option do I really have? Besides this rant, I mean. :lol )

I've watched just about every video released, thanks. They look great, although they in no way match the even-more-lovely photo mode shots. You're not actually trying to imply that they do, are you? Are you that stupid, or do you just think we are?

Bite me.

Anywho, sorry about assuming that higher poly models are used for photo-mode. I could have sworn I had read that, but it could have been speculation, or Forza 2 lore, or heck, maybe even GT5 confusion. That said, why wouldn't you do that?

Ding said:
I know that it swaps in higher poly car models

Nice question.

AMUSIX

Ding said:
Asshole.

Bite me.

Wow...not only was your first post douchey, but that little hissy-fit was just uncalled for. Che's made some really passive-aggressive asshole posts here, but his response to yours wasn't one of them.

First, you started off with an absurd assumption that you stated as fact, then you proceded to 'ask' (in my reading, it was more 'propose') several equally absurd thoughts. Che responded to all points cleanly and without any possible misinterpretation.

What? was he supposed to take the time to write out a "I'm sorry, but you must have misunderstood" condescending line for every point?

Granted, just replying "No." instead of "Wrong." may have been a touch more coddling, but seeing how you started off your post, I'm not going to hold it against him.

Chinner

Banned
Ding said:
Asshole.

Bite me.

this is really boring because its obvious that you planned out this troll before you even posted

bj00rn_

Banned
Ding said:
Asshole.

Bite me.

O............M................G........ :lol

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Ding said:
Asshole.

Bite me.

Ding Ding Ding!

A bit off-topic, but where else can I really ask this question?

Can anyone recommend a good wheel stand? I was looking at Fanatec's stand and it looks a bit cumbersome. I'm getting one of those Porsche wheels.

Coverly

Ding said:
Asshole.

Seriously, this is your idea of community outreach? Fuck you. Thanks to your sneering little display, F3 for me has moved from a day-one-buy, down to rent-and-then-buy-used. And this is from a guy that just spent $600 on wheel and cockpit hardware, so you just managed to dissipate the remarkable amount of goodwill that I once had for your game. Nice work. Dan would be proud. I'm sure the game will be awesome and I still look forward to playing it, but I'll be damned if I will support a company that thinks it's cool to take cheap shots at their customer base this way. (I realize that it's not fair to paint the entire Turn10 company with Che's stink, but as a customer what other option do I really have? Besides this rant, I mean. :lol

Is this the birth of a new " .. just shot themselves in the foot" meme? I hope so.

BlinkGT

Ding said:
Asshole.

Bite me.

YOU, "bite me", i must dream, not possible to read such an idiot.

Goldrusher said:
So was another one, which they got rid off in 2003...

jap_pre_04_02.jpg

What roller coaster is that ?

:D

Chrange

Banned
Ding said:
Asshole.

Bite me.

2myc6th.jpg

Wow, it DOES get higher poly as you get closer!

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Ding said:
Asshole.

Bite me.

Whoa, didn't mean to set off a meltdown. Sorry if the word "wrong" offended you, but it was factually wrong -- which was what I meant to express. :p

My point is that photomode is basically the game engine paused, with added post-effects that you don't get during gameplay (some AA, motion blur, and DOF) but none of the other stuff you stated as fact.

My LOL comment was aimed at your assumption that we swapped out our skybox textures in photomode. Sorry if that came off as snide but what would make you just assume that? Pretty random, imo. At any rate, it's the same skybox texture you see in the game as you play.

Whatever. Hope you have a nice day too.

U K Narayan said:
A bit off-topic, but where else can I really ask this question?

Can anyone recommend a good wheel stand? I was looking at Fanatec's stand and it looks a bit cumbersome. I'm getting one of those Porsche wheels.

I just bought the Fanatec wheel stand. Should be here next week. I'll post a little review and some pics once I put some time into it.

sportzhead said:
I just bought the Fanatec wheel stand. Should be here next week. I'll post a little review and some pics once I put some time into it.
Yeah, there's a review for that stand on YouTube. I remember some guy posting a stand around here for the G25 and he said it was compatible with the Fanatec wheel. I wish I could find that post. :(

Chrange

Banned
chespace said:
Whoa, didn't mean to set off a meltdown. Sorry if the word "wrong" offended you, but it was factually wrong -- which was what I meant to express. :p

My point is that photomode is basically the game engine paused, with added post-effects that you don't get during gameplay (some AA, motion blur, and DOF) but none of the other stuff you stated as fact.

My LOL comment was aimed at your assumption that we swapped out our skybox textures in photomode. Sorry if that came off as snide but what would make you just assume that? Pretty random, imo. At any rate, it's the same skybox texture you see in the game as you play.

Yeah, like there's any chance of THAT now that you've ruined his life!

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
U K Narayan said:
Yeah, there's a review for that stand on YouTube. I remember some guy posting a stand around here for the G25 and he said it was compatible with the Fanatec wheel. I wish I could find that post. :(
The Fanatec one works with the G25, but you need to buy a separate part for the gear stick.

99EUR seems a bit expensive for basically a folding table.

Truespeed

chespace said:

Had you replied with a one word response I would have bought your game and a 360.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
chespace said:

pretty complimentary that he assumed that the photomode pics did all that enhancing.

seems to me someone was looking to spread some FUD about the legitimacy of the pictures and once was shot down had a hissy fit.

Man, FM.net is bugged in Safari.

Anyway, Hi Che, obligatory PLEASE PUT THE xB IN FORZA III LIKE THE GOOD ORIGINAL ONE NOT THE LAMEASS NEW ONE THANKS I LOVE YOUR GAME HI.

Just say "No, never" once and I'll stop asking.

;D

Chrange

Banned
op_ivy said:
pretty complimentary that he assumed that the photomode pics did all that enhancing.

seems to me someone was looking to spread some FUD about the legitimacy of the pictures and once was shot down had a hissy fit.

Maybe he had a promising future as a professional 'fake' spotter, and saw that dream crushed? A man without hope will say some crazy things.

Lebron

Ding said:
Asshole.

Bite me.
9942g0.gif

Anyway, the new set of pictures look really nice, especially the Mazdaspeed3

U K Narayan said:

There is also the Wheel Stand Pro. It's about the same price as the Fanatec one. I went with the Fanatec one because it seems more beefy.

Chrange said:
Yeah, like there's any chance of THAT now that you've ruined his life!
Pretty much, internet = serious business.

And remember don´t LOL at peoples questions.
The only stupid questions are the questions not asked.

Thanks to Ding we learned a few new things today about the photomode of Forza 3.

Don´t be too harsh on him. :D

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
[Nintex] said:
I have one request for Forza 3, let me listen to music while driving.

But the engine/tire noises are much more satisfying to listen to! :D

(Use custom sound tracks?)

The only car I yearn for in Forza is the classic Mini. Shit that would make my year if that was in Forza 3 :lol

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
BenjaminBirdie said:
Man, FM.net is bugged in Safari.

Anyway, Hi Che, obligatory PLEASE PUT THE xB IN FORZA III LIKE THE GOOD ORIGINAL ONE NOT THE LAMEASS NEW ONE THANKS I LOVE YOUR GAME HI.

Just say "No, never" once and I'll stop asking.

;D
I (STILL) get endless login.live.com refreshes in Firefox when I try to visit FM.net.

Have to use IE or Safari. :(

Ding

AMUSIX said:
Wow...not only was your first post douchey, but that little hissy-fit was just uncalled for. Che's made some really passive-aggressive asshole posts here, but his response to yours wasn't one of them.

First, you started off with an absurd assumption that you stated as fact, then you proceeded to 'ask' (in my reading, it was more 'propose') several equally absurd thoughts. Che responded to all points cleanly and without any possible misinterpretation.
How was my first post douchey? Honestly, I'm not seeing it. I bent over backward to try to make it clear that I wasn't implying any sort of insult, and was just curious about how the photo-mode worked. I like photo-modes in general. I guess shouldn't have said the "bullshot" word.

But come on, swapping in a higher poly model for something like photo-mode is not an "absurd assumption". I'm pretty sure it's been done before. Like in car selection menus. Stuff like that. You only have to render one car, or as in the case of photo-mode, you don't really care if it takes a whole quarter second to render. So, why not go crazy with the eye candy where you can? This seems non-absurd to me.

The only thing I "proposed" was some things that possibly could be done. I was just trying to flesh out my question a bit better. I didn't figure that a, "Exactly what techniques does photo mode use?" post-and-run question would generate much discussion. I guess I was right, but not the way I anticipated! :D Those possibilities seemed like the sorts of things I would do if programming something to render balls-to-the-wall glamor shots. (Which again, is a cool thing to do.)

And you think all my "proposals" were equally absurd? No. I disagree. (My skybox idea was pretty stupid though. I was running out of ideas.) Bumping up the texture resolution is a no-brainer, IMO. At least in the case of user made liveries, we know that hi-res bitmaps are possible. (We see them rasterized in the editor.) Why not use one, at least when taking close up "pics"?

Swapping in higher poly "assets" to make the track environment look prettier would be harder. Maybe not worth it. Disc space already sounds cramped. (Again, not an insult!) The only way it might be easy to do is if the (gameplay) engine was doing some sort of tessellation or LOD routine which reduced the poly counts of distant objects. (A common enough engine feature. It's wasteful to render 20,000 polys when the end result is only 5 pixels across.) As such, the photo mode could just, you know, not do that. Render all the cars and Ferris wheels and such at their full poly-count, even if they are way off in the distance. Why not, it might look a little bit better.

AMUSIX said:
What? was he supposed to take the time to write out a "I'm sorry, but you must have misunderstood" condescending line for every point?

Granted, just replying "No." instead of "Wrong." may have been a touch more coddling, but seeing how you started off your post, I'm not going to hold it against him.
Other than that higher-poly (and more AA) assumption (sorry) I made, I didn't have any points. I was asking questions. How could I be misunderstanding something I don't know about yet? (But I would like to.) Answering "Wrong", repeatedly, to a series a (IMO) reasonable questions, doesn't bring much of anything to the dialog. Other than an appearance of reflexive, defensive dickishness, perhaps brought on by too many forum wars.

But yeah. I think I melted down in pretty much the classic fashion. Saw red. It wasn't really what was said so much as who said it. Aside from Che, we're all just guys talking on the internet. Che on the other hand, is the public face of Turn10. So, him being (IMO) terse, dickish, non-responsive, and condescending to my innocent question posed by a past and presumably future customer just seemed... infuriating. Not sure why it bothered me so much, but it certainly did. I'd compare it to if I walked into a restaurant and asked a question about the food. If I got anything like the tone that Che was giving off, I'd never go back and, yes, magazine racks might be involved. :lol

So, yeah. Sorry about that. But hey, the thread is staying on the first page now. Well played, Che. Well played. :D

Chrange

Banned
Ding said:
How was my first post douchey?

Umm...

Ding said:
But at the same time, it would probably be wise to remember that we're looking at the output of a (very nice) "bullshot" generator. There's nothing wrong or sneaky about that, but I'd hate to see a backlash (Here? Never!) when the in-game experience doesn't quite match the prettiness shown in these shots.

That's not douchey - especially when you don't KNOW that any of those 'cheats' are being done?

clashfan

Ding said:
I'd compare it to if I walked into a restaurant and asked a question about the food...

I'm glad you brought you the restaurant analogy. Go to a high class restaurant and go tell the chef "I know you use fake lobster meat". See what type of reaction you get.

eso76

blanky said:
Why replays when the brunt of it is gameplay? Aren't replays doctored in some way?

yep, but then again replays are what people talk about when they say game x looks better than game y. Replays are what people will base their judgement on, concerning graphics.
And that's because replays are where graphics really matter; when you just sit back and enjoy watching. While ingame,it doesn't really make a huge difference for me in racing sims, you won't be able to see all the detail that went into those models anyway.

Ding

chespace said:
Thanks for the reply, but again, I was asking if the game did those things, and was not asserting that it did. I apologize for assuming that the car models were swapped. I honestly misunderstood that.

chespace said:
Interesting. That's what I was wondering. You know, while I was not stating those things as fact. :D

chespace said:
I didn't fucking assume that! Jeez! Okay, calming breaths....

Yeah, the skybox thing: dumb idea. I shouldn't have even thrown it out as a possibility, The only time that might be useful is if you were zoomed way in on a distant car, but had some box'd background scenery in the shot as well. It might look funky. But, all you'd have to do it fuzz out the background via depth of field, and everything is beautiful again. Another possible reason for up-rezzed skies (the existence of which I am neither assuming nor asserting!) would be if the photo mode outputted at a higher rez than the gameplay. Like Halo 3's 1080p shots. But, again, probably not an issue in this case.

Ding

clashfan said:
I'm glad you brought you the restaurant analogy. Go to a high class restaurant and go tell the chef "I know you use fake lobster meat". See what type of reaction you get.
I guess that's fair. Although in food terms (oh yes, I'm going there), I thought my question was more along the lines of:

"I understand that your blah blah dish, which I just saw reviewed, contains $120/lb. Kobe beef. I was wondering if it also contains blah, blah, and blah?" (Nutmeg, heavy cream, and gummi bears, to complete the analogy. :lol )

If the dish did not in fact contain super expensive beef, then I suppose that the proprietor could decide to get bent out of shape by my comment. Was I implying that he can't work with lessor cuts? That Kobe beef is some sort of cheat? Am I even implying that the review was somehow rigged? It seems like a bit of a stretch, but okay.

Of course, there is an unspoken understanding that if the chef wants to get all up in my grill about this perceived slight, then he will likely lose me as a customer. I'm sure that's fine with him; he thinks I'm a lying asshole. Similarly, I suspect that Che doesn't care that he lost a customer today. Psssh. He still gets paid. I have no illusions that my $60 is important in the grand scheme of things. Turn10 will survive this day. :D

Sigh. Shit. I do want to reward the developers at Turn10. They seem to be tear'n it up this time. We'll see how I feel in a week or six.

No more posts on this matter from me. I've already waaaay overdid it. Let's get back to the game. Which looks awesome. October, it seems so far off.

Blimblim said:
There is a small (mostly business) games show in southern France right now, and Snoopers was there and captured some more 60 fps footage of the two missing tracks (one from E3, and Le Mans), so expect some nice stuff tomorrow evening or on Thursday :)
HMmmm :D

WrikaWrek

Banned
Ding said:
Asshole.

Seriously, this is your idea of community outreach? Fuck you. Thanks to your sneering little display, F3 for me has moved from a day-one-buy, down to rent-and-then-buy-used. And this is from a guy that just spent $600 on wheel and cockpit hardware, so you just managed to dissipate the remarkable amount of goodwill that I once had for your game. Nice work. Dan would be proud. I'm sure the game will be awesome and I still look forward to playing it, but I'll be damned if I will support a company that thinks it's cool to take cheap shots at their customer base this way.

w_toro_blk.jpg

Top Bottom