• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

skyfinch

iamcool388 said:
Giant Bomb's Video Review

I know I dont post here at all (Only got a PS3, so waiting for GT5, sigh), but just had to say... what an amazing game... looks great and seems very fun to play as well! I think I might finish up my uncharted playthroughs and then go over to my friends place this weekend and check it out!

Oh, 5 stars, and some high praise from Jeff.

Great review. The way he explains the "rewind" feature is perfect.

skyfinch said:
Great review. The way he explains the "rewind" feature is perfect.

Yeah I liked that part too. Brings a good perspective to the whole rewind debate... I mean you dont get on leaderboards and its not available online, so for hardcore people it keeps their times sacrosanct... and for people like me who are a little more casual, it just makes the game less frustrating.

Gerstmann did a good job throughout the review of explaining things from a semi-serious sim racer's perspective. I could definitely relate.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I want this fucking game already GOD DAMMIT!!! I want to paint cars and do all there is to do in the god damned game I can't take it anymore!!! ARHHHHHGGGGG!!!

All the freaking tracks omfg.. and game modes and customization and drifting and video editing and *HEADXPLOSION*

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
This is going to be one of my first livery attempts, should be pretty simple, right? Especially as I suck and hardly touched the editor in Forza 2. :D

4016905189_2c201c84c4_o.jpg

cjelly said:
This is going to be one of my first livery attempts, should be pretty simple, right? Especially as I suck and hardly touched the editor in Forza 2. :D

yeah looks easy enough. hard parts is probably going to be recreating some of the sponsor logos.

probably start with a white car and add the Forza brand spoiler. add the stripes and use the square shape that fades to create the rear-middle section.

I think you'll also have to settle with a 2 door focus

edit: my first attempt will probably logos of various tobacco companies and their alternate logos for countries that ban tobacco advertising. Mild Seven(F1 car with Team Spirit, Benson and Hedges(Be On Edge), Marlboro(Bar Codes), West. sell them for around 2500 credits :)

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
That company logo seems simple, just make it in the canvas thing and paste it all over, you'll just have to resize it only I bet.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
cjelly said:

Holy shit a fellow BTCC fan.

You MUST do as many BTCC liveries as you can, and a note to turn 10: PLEASE include the VXR Vectra, the Chevrolet Lacetti and the BMW 320si E90 in a DLC update, that way all of the full participants of the BTCC 2009 season can be created in Forza 3.

Edit: On that note, as weight is a factor in Forza, how about a Ballast system for online racing? That way online leagues can use a Touring Car style ballast system to help even out the racing a bit.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
iamcool388 said:
Yeah I liked that part too. Brings a good perspective to the whole rewind debate... I mean you dont get on leaderboards and its not available online, so for hardcore people it keeps their times sacrosanct... and for people like me who are a little more casual, it just makes the game less frustrating.

Gerstmann did a good job throughout the review of explaining things from a semi-serious sim racer's perspective. I could definitely relate.

Honestly this may be the most accessible racing game of all time. A game that hardcore and casual fans can have great experiences in. Once I read about the fact you don't NEED to learn to drive the uber cars, the rewind feature, the optional assists, this game went from a 'no buy' to a 'I must pre-order the LE!!!!' in about 10 seconds.

TheOddOne

iamcool388 said:

I know I dont post here at all (Only got a PS3, so waiting for GT5, sigh), but just had to say... what an amazing game... looks great and seems very fun to play as well! I think I might finish up my uncharted playthroughs and then go over to my friends place this weekend and check it out!

The ending :lol

Next week, it shall be mine!

Gowans

One thing t10 need to be patted on the back about is favorites.

It's a whole extra friends list in the game, adds a new filter for leaderboards, view thier storefronts & you can see favourites of friends or favourited people & you just add them without the need to be ok'd.

It really adds an extra element to the conmuinty, its really a great selective filter for leaderboards.

Iknos said:
Maybe it's time people started talking about T10 in the same way they talk about Bungie or Rare?
You haven't been paying attention, they already are.

In that they're bashed just as much...well, maybe not as much as Rare.

Brodequin

phil_t said:
I had all the known issues with my MS wheel..

But with a bit of DIY (only minor, not done the bearing mod), it's transformed into something that is actually 'OK'...

The main issues lie around the 'sensor' that detects the position of the wheel, it's a basic potentiometer, this connects to the wheel via a small gear driven shaft.

Did you open the wheel with the T12 driver (I think that's right one) or where you able to open it with something else?

iamcool388 said:

WOW! They've actually let you adjust view in Auction House!!

THE TRUE MEGATON!!

Iknos

punkypine said:
if you use rewind, is your lap time still eligible for leaderboards?

It's recorded on the leaderboards but placed below all the legitimate times. So if you have the #1 uncertified time and there are 30K certified times on the leaderboard you sit at 30,001th place.

Drafting and track cutting are also things that will uncertify your time...so it's not only rewind that will do it.

Spasm

So how many of you guys that have legitimate copies early have received this?

Two of my dumbass, haxed friends just got the boot for playing early. :lol
I don't feel one tiny bit sorry for them... Except I did buy Gold for one of them. Might as well have flushed that down that toilet.

chespace said:
That's just the first wave of banhammer.

Have fun, hax0rz!
Awesome, now if only bungie reported early ODST players, there is one modder I know who I would love to see banned but he diesn't play racing games (or forza)

BenjaminBirdie said:
WOW! They've actually let you adjust view in Auction House!!

THE TRUE MEGATON!!
Forza 2 had a patch to allow full rotation to see the car's too, but before the patch it was limited to left and right pan only with no zoom.

Shaneus said:
Awesome! But I thought that consoles were supposed to get banned and not accounts?
Complete ability to log into live on their 360 is what happens I believe, their xbox is completely live banned.

So how is Expert mode going to work when using the MS wheel? I tried it on the demo and it just let me shift with the paddle shifters, and I never pressed any sort of clutch button.

LaserBuddha said:
So how is Expert mode going to work when using the MS wheel? I tried it on the demo and it just let me shift with the paddle shifters, and I never pressed any sort of clutch button.
Did you not hear a lovely grind noise and find that after 1 lap it was taking more then a second to change gear?

Diablohead said:
Did you not hear a lovely grind noise and find that after 1 lap it was taking more then a second to change gear?

I just tried it for a second to see what would happen. i don't know shit about manuals to be honest. But I'm trying to learn!

pr0cs

Spasm said:
So how many of you guys that have legitimate copies early have received this?

Two of my dumbass, haxed friends just got the boot for playing early. :lol
I don't feel one tiny bit sorry for them... Except I did buy Gold for one of them. Might as well have flushed that down that toilet.
This warms the cockles of my heart.
What a great Friday gift for those asshats.

And I'm a little miffed because the overall color scheme of Jube3's Iron Man car is VERY similar to the Proto Man car I have planned :lol .

evolution

After showing my friends the new and improved kaido track they've decided to get the game. Were gonna have some crazy drift sessions online. The turns and length of the track make it almost perfect. Next time T10 needs to make the track width smaller. I think it would make it a lot more challenging for drifting and racing in general. Anyways looking forward to the game immensely.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
LaserBuddha said:
That was my other question...do real-life paddle shifters use a clutch? I would have assumed they would.

They don't, the car usually engages and disengages the clutch itself when there are paddle shifters.

pr0cs said:
This warms the cockles of my heart.
What a great Friday gift for those asshats.
I don't have it but whatabout those who actually purchased their copies from retailers? Supposedly Walmarts were selling copies the last few days. Would someone have to show proof via receipt (not that that is true proof)? Seems a little extreme for those who aren't pirating copies.

pr0cs

LovingSteam said:
I don't have it but whatabout those who actually purchased their copies from retailers? Supposedly Walmarts were selling copies the last few days. Would someone have to show proof via receipt (not that that is true proof)? Seems a little extreme for those who aren't pirating copies.
I'm pretty sure it has more to do with the actual copy being played than the date it was played.
Likely a prerelease copy was leaked (and signed) so it's very easy to tell who is pirating since that code was never released to gold.
Great idea really, developers should do that more often (ie: release early versions of the game to impose the banhammer on anyone actually running the early version)

blanky

LaserBuddha said:
I just tried it for a second to see what would happen. i don't know shit about manuals to be honest. But I'm trying to learn!

Something that might be useful to learn when to shift is to drive with the telemetry. When you see the torque peak you should shift up. And shifting down is a matter of learning the track, finding out which gear works best for which corner, but that depends on the car you're driving.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
blanky said:
It does. but you have to map it to a,b,x,y i think. Most people have it on a.
This brings up an interesting question - is having a digital clutch more advantageous than a progressive clutch? Because it's already been shown you can damage your car through incorrect shifting - or does the damage only occur if the clutch isn't used at all?

pr0cs said:
I'm pretty sure it has more to do with the actual copy being played than the date it was played.
Likely a prerelease copy was leaked (and signed) so it's very easy to tell who is pirating since that code was never released to gold.
Great idea really, developers should do that more often (ie: release early versions of the game to impose the banhammer on anyone actually running the early version)

Wow that really is awesome lol. I agree, more developers should do that. Freaking hilarious!

gillty

Banned
LaserBuddha said:
That was my other question...do real-life paddle shifters use a clutch? I would have assumed they would.
nope the car itself will have a clutch, but no clutch pedal since the car controls it ala SMT, or dual clutch systems like DSG, PDK etc.. although some CVT and TipTronic tranmissions have flappy paddle shifters but no clutch at all

Since I never played Forza 2 online, how does the difficulty setting thing work. Are assists, etc., customizable per player to any degree? Or is it something chosen by the host? If so what is the most commonly chosen difficulty level?

Wait the game isnt out yet? I was planning on going to my friends place and play it there this weekend. :-(

When is release date, will keep that weekend free.

XiaNaphryz said:
This brings up an interesting question - is having a digital clutch more advantageous than a progressive clutch? Because it's already been shown you can damage your car through incorrect shifting - or does the damage only occur if the clutch isn't used at all?
In the few cars I have had a chance to drive over the years the gear stick will not budge unless you open the clutch enough, so I dunno if that is taken into account in forza 3. Using clutch to let the car roll or get a biting point is important though.

blanky

XiaNaphryz said:

An automatic is technically much more efficient and quicker. Manual just provides more fun/control to a certain group of people. And with paddle shift transmissions you sort of get best of both worlds, the speed of an automatic and the fun of being in control. But the discussion of manual/automatic is mostly subjective and only partially technical.

Top Bottom