• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

-viper-

Banned
Is this an entirely new game or an add on for Forza 3? I'm confused.

Looks waaaay better than Forza 3. The cockpit view of Forza 3 looks pretty ugly to be frank. I'm glad they improved it - because of the way it is (incl FOV) I never use it. :p

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
-viper- said:

Looks waaaay better than Forza 3. The cockpit view of Forza 3 looks pretty ugly to be frank. I'm glad they improved it - because of the way it is (incl FOV) I never use it. :p

i think it was just a glimpse of what turn 10 is doing... not necessarily forza 4, but likely what we saw will make its way into what becomes forza 4.

in 2011. crazy.

So this makes how many Forzas since Gran Turismo 5 was announced?

I think from now on I'll just use Forza as a unit of time for Sony releases. Oh, that'll be released in two Forzas.

G Rom

Well, the whole Forza franchise with three games (and three engines) was created/released between GT4 and GT5...
To be faire, PD did release Tourist Trophy, Prologue and Prologue updates during this time though and GT5 is most likely going to be released this year.

alba

Little is the new Big
Yeah Turn 10, been fooled before. Until I see live gameplay demo that has no lod crap, then i'll believe you. Until then, it's just pre-rendered stuff.

And no, this is not the future of racing games.

op_ivy

cjelly said:
To me, it looks like a new engine.

Remember Forza 3 only has 8 cars on screen, but that mode they showed off has endless cars on screen.

no, it just showed an endless stream... the game engine could most certainly be droppong out passed cars and adding cars as you go. there was never more then 8 at once, even there

-viper- said:

Don't think like that, remember that forza 3 uses super poly counted models in the menu and photo mode but while racing there is a drastic reduction, plus they never did fix that shadow problem around wheels even though che said it was fixed.

If you are not using a custom FOV for the cockpits in forza 3 you are doing it wrong :p

Still not sure how I feel about what looks like a new forza in 2011, forza 3 looks great and was an improvement over forza 2 but it was still boring half the time, not because I can't crash or anything but the races were just too boring, for example.

If you want to earn all gold, playing on hard is annoying because you end up replaying the league, for someone like me who likes to unlock achievements this was annoying and ment I left the settings on normal or easy, yeah yeah call me a wimp at least I played against the good racers online and did well. -A fix for this would be to make achievements unlock for playing all the events, not winning gold in them all, I would play them all on hard if it was like that.

7 cars & yourself is too empty for a lot of these circuits, NFS shift with it's 24 car races on the nurb was great after all these years of 6/8 car races. I hope forza 4 can push for 12+ cars. At least half the layouts in forza 3 become sparse after half a lap due to lack of cars in a race.

Bring back car clubs! they are great for the serious online racers just like making a party and playing halo online, let us enter matchmaking as 6 people going against another team of 6, total points in a race wins it for fame points. Give us better reasons to play online!

Earning level 50 in forza 3 did not do much, it would be nice if it went to 100 so it lasts longer and feels more rewarding, try and make more things unlock like rare rims or unique paints, but nothing which would hamper the fairness of racing.

G Rom

Actually, I checked and you never see more than 8 cars on screen (including rear-view mirror) and the AI is just following a line so again, not really a good example.
I really want to believe but this is some well above GT5 graphics and near CGI (look at the tires or the engine textures) shit that we're seeing right here.

High Resolution "screenshots" :
4700823509_b409ebc03a_b.jpg

4700825403_08f79a1b6b_b.jpg

4700829959_4c8b5d14ae_b.jpg

4700826349_b092ac9f26_b.jpg

4700827277_ac6ecdbde0_b.jpg

4701457114_c8075e82d1_b.jpg

4701455202_452f8df7c3_b.jpg

4701461508_0cd85a221d_b.jpg

:lol at the back of the car in the last shot !

G Rom said:
:lol at the back of the car in the last shot !
What am I looking for?

Also they done a great job with the desert area there, would make a great photo mode arena if there was reasonable space to drive around in.

G Rom

No, it doesn't look too bad but it's just that I had flashbacks of Forza Motorsport 2 ugly lighting looking at that part of the image. I guess it must have traumatized me !:lol

Edit : Microsoft labels this as Forza 4 in their E3 press site and it's obviously in the Kinect games part.

skyfinch

I don't know what this hell is going on here. Those photos look too good to be true. No offense, but there's no way in hell the Xbox can push those sort of car models during game-play. Hope they're not baiting us in with photomode again.

Anyways, I was hoping for Forza 4 on the next generation Xbox, not the 360.

*Hire someone new to do the replay angles and overall lighting in the game.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
In brighter news... MadCatz announced a wireless steering wheel for the 360. See Logitech, it's not that hard. :D

Mad Catz Wireless Racing Wheel – Xbox 360

Ideal for arcade or simulation style racing, the Mad Catz Wireless Racing Wheel adds a dimension of realism and excitement to any Xbox 360 driving game. Complete with racing pedals, the Wireless Racing Wheel features and interchangeable gear shift for left or right handed drivers and full rubber grips providing comfort and stability during the tightest of turns. Utilizing the same secure wireless technology featured in the official wireless Microsoft® Xbox 360 controller, the Wireless Racing Wheel connects directly to the Xbox 360 with no need for an external dongle or adaptor. Dual-mounting option allows gamers to secure their Wheel to a flat surface via the desk mount or play on the couch via lap-rest supports. Non-slip accelerator and brake pedal set includes a detachable foot rest allowing gamers to race in comfort at all time and integrated port for Xbox LIVETM allows gamers to chat online during play.

MSRP: $129.99

skyfinch said:
I don't know what this hell is going on here. Those photos look too good to be true. No offense, but there's no way in hell the Xbox can push those sort of car models during game-play. Hope they're not baiting us in with photomode again.
I agree. They look ludicrously good, but I don't think you'll see anything like that in gameplay, so yeah, I think it's more a sort of walk around photomode.

G Rom

Not to sound trollish but the more I think about it, the more I think that this was only produced and showed as a damage control strategy in anticipation of tomorrow.
The kinetic gameplay stuff looked like a tech demo that you'd see in an internal meeting and the rest may have been pre recorded stuff like the Star Wars thing for all we know.

We really need some clarification from Che/Jube/Turn10/MS... :-/

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I don't know, seriously.

I'd rather they focus on what matters: better graphics, more cars on the race, weather effects, visible suspension so we can get crazy shit like the catterhams or the atom...

Forza 3 was better than Forza 2, but the fact in-game wasn't that better and still had the 8 car limit was a big turn off. I do enjoy the game inmensely, but come Forza 4 I'm gonna pass unless I see some real improvements and not gimmicky shite like that kinect stuff.

Oh hell yes weather is important, especially if they can make it turn from dry to wet while racing, or have racing in a light storm so wind direction can change, in fact I hardly if at all feel wind direction in forza 3, it should effect many fast cars but it doesn't.

Things like visible air brakes should be in forza 4 also, they add a lot to the detail.

Going to be shit hard to do all that and more cars at 60fps on the 360 imo, next gen maybe but currently they will probably have to give up one thing for another, which is another reason why forza 4 should be a next gen title multiple years away.

Oh and they really need to find a good way to implant DLC tracks into the career, really, oh saying that we have 1 track so far in forza 3...

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
mil6es said:
haha for people who think Forza 4 will even come close to the screens above are having a laugh

We're demo'ing the game tonight behind closed doors.

Yup, those screenshots are real-time.

The thing is this... the screenshots aren't equal (the same quality) to the demo shown a Microsoft E3 demo. In screenshots, there are reflections that aren't in the demo (for example). I believe that the demo on stage was indeed real time, as said in the Forzamorotsport.net article, but the SS arn't. I see them as a "vision", a guideline to what they want to achieve, so that's cool. If they will match that quality (raytraced?) in 30fps... I really dont't know, but as a neogaf member.... I WANT TO BELIEVE ;)

Ding

DopeyFish said:
there's 2 different kinds of head tracking - the one which forza has which just moves the camera with your head - this has been done many times before and just like the other ones, it's a half ass solution (they'll usually blame it on not being able to look out your side windows in racing games)

you'll probably turn it off in 5 seconds flat, it's really annoying.

true head tracking knows where your head is relative to the screen and alters the game geometry AND camera to give the screen an amazing 3d effect. like you'd be peering through a WINDOW into the car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw 2:45 in
No offense, but that really makes no sense at all. There are two types of head-tracking in "common" use, but neither of them "alters game geometry".

1) You can track head position only. (3 axes of freedom) You can move your head forward, to see your instruments better, or you can move it sideways to "see around" your A pillar if it is blocking your view of the apex. Or, you can move your head up and down. Not sure why you'd ever want to do this in a racing game!

Taken together, this ability to move the "camera" in any direction allows a person to feel like "they are there". And as the Johnny Chung video illustrates, it can give a pseudo-3D effect since moving your real-life view-point changes what is shown on the screen. It's all done with camera moves, however. Nothing in the game "world" is affected in the least.

2) You can track the direction that your head is pointing. (Another 3 axes of freedom) This allows you to look down at your feet, or look out the side windows, or tilt your head like an inqusitive dog. :lol Obviously, for a race game, that side-to-side control of camera angle is the most important one.

Neither of these approaches are "half-assed", and I really doubt that a person who had purchased head tracking gear would seriously be tempted to "turn it off in 5 seconds flat". Viewpoint tracking (option 2) is the main reason people buy head trackers.

Option 1 is easier to do, since it's easier to sense where your head is, than it is to measure precisely which way it's pointing. Option 2 is both trickier, and it takes some getting used to as a user, since you have to learn to turn your head just slightly, so you are still looking at the screen. (Yes, it takes longer than 5 seconds. More like 10 minutes or so.)

I only caught a brief glimpse of today's F3 demo, so I'm not positive whether they are doing option 1 only, or both 1 and 2 at the same time. But they definitely weren't only doing 2, which pretty much invalidates your complaint. They were doing exactly the same thing that Johnny Chung was. (And maybe a little more) The only reason it didn't look "3D" in the Forza demo, is because the dude that was controlling it didn't have a camera strapped to his head so the audience could see what he was seeing. (Go to 3:50 in the Johnny demo to see what the effect looks like to everyone except the guy who is being tracked.)

skyfinch said:
I just crapped my pants.....
Hey ppst, you remember the forza 3 thread? photomode is always lush looking especially directly from a dev console, those screens above have ample supersampling going on or msaa up the wazoo, plus I would think because it's a new build and has 1 car in the desert area, that the car being used is a high poly version refined for this demo.

I was playing forza 3 earlier and it still looks great in external car views, they did a great job with the forza 3 lighting after the first two games.

lord pie

skyfinch said:

The stills appear to be ray-traced. There are subtle reflections, such as the wing mirrors. These are generally not practical to do in traditional rendering (it's possible, just difficult). I'll note the (realtime looking) video shown in the e3 video did not contain these reflections, but still looked very, very good. The source model looked to be mostly equivalent and (the interior especially) was exceptionally detailed.

It's possible the photomode has been bumped up a few notches.

I'll also mention the talk of the head tracking 'not altering geometry (?!?!)' is a bit odd. It clearly shows panning, and he directly mentions looking into the corners. I for one welcome this. Now all we need is that they hijack splitscreen mode for 3D. As much as I despise the current implementations of 3D, I can see great value in a sim racer.

*edited*

I didn't see the pics above. Very pretty. Unless they have the mother of all photomodes, that to me is clearly rendered offline.

I needed to post some SS... (go check the Forzamotorsport.net ones...)

EDIT: Pleeease Che, tell me that I'm wrong! It would make me happy!!

chespace said:

Well done, really. "Real-time". :lol Did you guys bump the polycount for the screen saver again? Is it now 20x the polygons compared to Forza 3? Real-time, my ass. It's "real-time" as in avoiding the term "in-game". As I said, well done.

24xi3b9.gif

G Rom

chespace said:

Yup, those screenshots are real-time.*

*Photo mode may be referred as real-time

Just kidding ! :lol
When you say the game, you mean the game as in a real race with this quality or the game as in the showroom stuff ?

As much as I love the showroom place (I stated before that I sometime stop to just watch the car on the Camino Viejo thing in career, so gorgeous !:D ), those graphics mean nothing if you can't at least have them in replay.

If Turn 10 can pull this level of graphics without compromising anything major like gameplay, content of the game, etc... then I'll withdraw all I've said and gladly bend over to buy the fourth collector edition of the franchise though !:D

G Rom

GT5:prologue is doing ray-tracing at 1280x1080 with 2xAA in real-time with limited human animations in its menus so real-time graphics like these might be doable at 720p without any AA nor animations at all. I can't imagine how hot the 360 would get though as it already gets in jet-engine mode when watching the screen-saver thing in career...:lol

Turn 10 should just release a video of it because as it is now it seems too good to be true and fishy that MS didn't release the video.

If Forza-whatever-it's-called looks even half as good as those screens suggest when it comes out next year, I'll be flabbergasted.

I'd personally be satisfied with the in-game models looking more like their often superb photomode counterparts-- as it is the differences can be quite jarring.

Spaceman Spiff said:
If Forza-whatever-it's-called looks even half as good as those screens suggest when it comes out next year, I'll be flabbergasted.

I'd personally be satisfied with the in-game models looking more like their often superb photomode counterparts-- as it is the differences can be quite jarring.

Before tweaking the graphics (or not :lol), they should try to get more than 8 fucking cars on track. This isn't 2005 anymore.

op_ivy

G Rom said:
GT5:prologue is doing ray-tracing at 1280x1080 with 2xAA in real-time with limited human animations in its menus so real-time graphics like these might be doable at 720p without any AA nor animations at all. I can't imagine how hot the 360 would get though as it already gets in jet-engine mode when watching the screen-saver thing in career...:lol

Turn 10 should just release a video of it because as it is now it seems too good to be true and fishy that MS didn't release the video.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-forza-kinect/101303

G Rom

I mean an all direct feed good quality HD video not a shitty Gametrailers quality pseudo HD one...:lol

Edit : Rewatching the video for like the 5th time. It's absolutely not the same graphics in the live demo and on those
bull
shots.

-viper-

Banned
chespace said:

I don't think so. The new footage looks great, but no where near to the level of those screenshots!

op_ivy

G Rom said:
I mean an all direct feed good quality HD video not a shitty Gametrailers quality pseudo HD one...:lol

Edit : Rewatching the video for like the 5th time. It's absolutely not the same graphics in the live demo and on those
bull
shots.

based on his comments pre and post release F3, i dont think che is a graphics expert :lol

(although the game looks damn fine regardless)

clearly in game, it wont look like that. the video from the conference still looked DAMN good though, but yeah, while racing, i dont think it will be at the same level

Top Bottom