• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - Pre-order and boxart announcement

Metalmurphy said:
I think it's for the new mode where you can get close to the car, and interact with it. It's silly to expect that all cars will have that interactivity, like opening the hood, checking the engine, etc.

During a race, it won't matter.
Wasn't it silly to expect that all 400 cars in FM3 would have a cockpit view? :p

G Rom

Metalmurphy said:
I think it's for the new mode where you can get close to the car, and interact with it. It's silly to expect that all cars will have that interactivity, like opening the hood, checking the engine, etc.

During a race, it won't matter.

I don't know, you can already see from the screensaver and the photo mode in FM3 that some cars are much more detailed than what the game let you see and nobody expected full interiors for the 400+ cars of FM3. Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if every car had this amount of details. Two years is a very long time and as I mentioned we already saw what the power of outsourcing could do.

If not all the car get this treatment, I expect at the very least all the Ferrari, all the new FM4 cars (obviously) and a lot if not all of the FM3 DLC cars to get it.

Edit :
Diablohead said:
Probably gimped FM3 multi stuff, but I would love forza 2 lobbies back, open public lobbies that is! not friends only shit.

I hope that too and after all the backlash they got from FM3, I hope that they realized that it's what gamers wanted.

brotkasten said:
Wasn't it silly to expect that all 400 cars in FM3 would have a cockpit view? :p
Considering that 350 of those cars were already in F2... not really. Making cockpits is certainly easier then an entire car. This however is like a completely overhaul on all cars + extra stuff like the insides, interactivity, etc.

Would really surprise me if it was all cars.

G Rom

Metalmurphy said:
Considering that 350 of those cars were already in F2... not really. Making cockpits is certainly easier then an entire car. This however is like a completely overhaul on all cars + extra stuff like the insides, interactivity, etc.

Would really surprise me if it was all cars.

I find that really hard to believe because 95% of the cars are symmetrical so you "just" have to model one half of the car, mirror it, add the logos and badges and bam ! Here's your car.
The cockpits however aren't symmetrical, are usually much more complicated curves wise and some like the those of the race cars have a lot of switches, wires, etc... running in all places.

amar212 said:
Thomas from Fanatec is on E3 and he announced showing of Clubsport Shifter and some other Fanatec products.

He also officially announced plans to develop a new wheel to rival Thrustmaster T500RS on his blog and started with small internal survey among current Fanatec users.

If possibly co-related - because now it really seems strange he is flying all the way to USA to promote a shifter - it could be interesting.

Bout damn time.

paskowitz

I want to see something like a total clubsport package based off of the Porsche 918 Concept. Its shape works perfectly.
2011-Porsche-918-Spyder-Concept-interior-design-588x441.jpg

Combine that with clubsport pedals V2, clubsport shifter, and handbrake. So much dope.

skyfinch

With all these new features, I hope they don't forget about the little things....like a proper arcade/quick race mode. Forza 3's was terrible.

in all three iterations of the Forza series thus far, and hundreds of hours in...i don't think i have ever even touched the arcade mode.

I question why a sim racer like this even needs these separate time trial modes. can't a quick race or time trial challenge just be integrated into the "campaign" of the game? if you fire up Forza and just want a single race, would using the multiplayer mode or the matchmaking and set it up that way?

I am not flaming the post, but i guess i would ask that for a sim racer like this, i would think we have moved beyond the arcadey time trial/quick race separate mode. I know the game is many things to many different people ("why need a livery editor? why do we need photo? i don't use those things" kind of attitude) but structurally isnt it a bit antiquated? make time trials as challenges within the races or single player. something like that.

saladine1 said:
I just hope that we get a full,equal experience across all fields which includes the vehicles. I don't want a premium/standard content shit happenning in FM4.
I mean, when they talked about the Ferrari 458 being modeled and detailed right down to the smallest screw, did they mean that particular car received the treatment only or is it every car?

I personally don't even care about that much details until the details that matter are handled first. The racing experience should be first and foremost. How many times is the "car viewing" mode going to used compared to the actual racing of said car? 100 to 1?

I would rather feel like I'm driving a Ferrari 458 than it look like I'm driving the car. I hope they dont fuck up Forza 4 because GT5 is collecting dust because of PD fuck ups.

I swear racing and football seem to be the only genre's that are a few years or even a generation behind other genre's when it comes to innovation and being truely "next gen".

And if anything..... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.. don't fuck up online multiplayer.

The Stig

Dear Forza. Please include the E39 M5 in your game. It's better to drive and better looking than the E60 and loved like a legend in the BMW community. It's hand-built engine was only ever featured in one other car (the z8).

This phenomenal car has only ever been in NFS hot pursuit 2. Please give "the beast" the video game treatment.

*gets off soapbox*

saladine1

The Stig said:
Dear Forza. Please include the E39 M5 in your game. It's better to drive and better looking than the E60 and loved like a legend in the BMW community. It's hand-built engine was only ever featured in one other car (the z8).

This phenomenal car has only ever been in NFS hot pursuit 2. Please give "the beast" the video game treatment.

*gets off soapbox*
WTF!
Stig is in the house people, Stig is in da house!!

skyfinch

AlanzTalon said:
in all three iterations of the Forza series thus far, and hundreds of hours in...i don't think i have ever even touched the arcade mode.

I question why a sim racer like this even needs these separate time trial modes. can't a quick race or time trial challenge just be integrated into the "campaign" of the game? if you fire up Forza and just want a single race, would using the multiplayer mode or the matchmaking and set it up that way?

I am not flaming the post, but i guess i would ask that for a sim racer like this, i would think we have moved beyond the arcadey time trial/quick race separate mode. I know the game is many things to many different people ("why need a livery editor? why do we need photo? i don't use those things" kind of attitude) but structurally isnt it a bit antiquated? make time trials as challenges within the races or single player. something like that.

I have been doing this with Forza 3. Unfortunately, you need a gold membership to enter into any kind of multiplayer. I think it's silly to have to pay for a gold membership to have to go into matchmaking/mulitplayer to be able to choose how many laps and what cars I am able to race.

But if in career mode, I can choose how many cars I race, what cars I race, how many laps and on what track, then by all means...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
saladine1 said:
I just hope that we get a full,equal experience across all fields which includes the vehicles. I don't want a premium/standard content shit happenning in FM4.
I mean, when they talked about the Ferrari 458 being modeled and detailed right down to the smallest screw, did they mean that particular car received the treatment only or is it every car?
Presumably, they will ultra high LOD models for the Kinect mode + Photo mode + Replay mode + Menus, and then relatively less detailed models for racing. Despite inconsistency, I'm not really mad at that anymore, as long as racing models are as optimized as they possibly can, and look decent like in FM3, the higher LOD models I just see as a plus for eye candy modes. This is all just my speculation, but I see it as a realistic expectation.

I hope Forza World is more of a social hub or bungie.net kind of thing that uses XBL Cloud rather than a Kinect-only game.

EDIT: I'd like to add that it'd also be realistic to see Ferraris such as the 458, or maybe only it specifically, having slightly more detail than other cars, being the poster car and all.

saladine1

enzo_gt said:
Presumably, they will ultra high LOD models for the Kinect mode + Photo mode + Replay mode + Menus, and then relatively less detailed models for racing. Despite inconsistency, I'm not really mad at that anymore, as long as racing models are as optimized as they possibly can, and look decent like in FM3, the higher LOD models I just see as a plus for eye candy modes. This is all just my speculation, but I see it as a realistic expectation.

I hope Forza World is more of a social hub or bungie.net kind of thing that uses XBL Cloud rather than a Kinect-only game.

EDIT: I'd like to add that it'd also be realistic go see Ferraris such as the 458, or maybe it specifically, having slightly more detail than other cars, being the poster car and all.
Sure, I wouldn't mind if it applied just to the 458 for the reason specified. Having said that, I still want to be able to 'interact' with all cars equally and not just a select few or just some supercars. I would love to examine a Ferrari 250 GTO for example or an Oldsmobile 442 in detail as well.
In the end, as long as the majority of cars can be 'experienced' in show room mode equally, then i'll be more than happy..

I just remembered Le Mans starts the weekend following E3 week. Can't fucking wait.

Let's see if the new R18 and AMR-One will be in the game. 458 GT2 is probably a given. 908 obviously won't be happening this year. I'm not holding my breath for weather, but dynamic time of day, or at the very least, night racing is a must on La Sarthe.

saladine1

I was just thinking about the balance of the P.I system in FM. We saw a lot of dominant cars especially in 4WD guise. What can be done to even out the playing field?

G Rom

Fix the P.I and make it do what it should (ie balance things).
The P.I system is completely broken in FM3 and not only for 4WD. There are cars with better stats than others but with an actual lower P.I than the latter. There are also cars with the exact same specs but different stats and P.I (race cars).
They should eliminate the Launch stat too, it's pointless (what's the difference between that and acceleration ?!) and does more harm than good IMO (some cars have inflated P.I because of high launch stat while stile having a low acceleration stat...).
And finally, the 4WD swap shouldn't drop the P.I that heavily because even with the added weight, a 4WD will 99.9% of the time handle better than a RWD.

One thing to bring balance between 4WD and RWD is to make the tires warm at start. I'm not asking for them to be boiling hot, just a realistic warm level equivalent to a real world warm-up lap.

And yeah Spaceman Spiff, I hope we'll see some good Le Mans action in FM4 with hopefully the 2011 cars (Ill miss the 908... :( )but also older cars and the dynamic lighting.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I want F1 cars most, then more V8 Supercars and then DTM cars. I mean Le Mans spec cars are nice and all, but they're in every game ever. I want some new motorsports thrown into the mix.

derFeef

enzo_gt said:
I want F1 cars most, then more V8 Supercars and then DTM cars. I mean Le Mans spec cars are nice and all, but they're in every game ever. I want some new motorsports thrown into the mix.
I loved the old DTM games, that would be pretty fantastic. F1 cars and tracks (layouts) would be big I think.

Shaneus

Wow, that's a massive focus for a single game. I assume that's the entire MS booth?

Um, and HOLY SHIT at that breakaway being shown of the Ford GT. If that's the level of detail we get on even most (if not all) cars, sign me up.

Quick! Someone go all CSI and find out the car and track on those triple-screen setups. Then extend the analysis to tell us what that means for weather, time of day, track modeling, tire and suspension physics, etc, etc.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Shaneus

-bakalhau- said:
Seems a bit small to be the entire booth =/
Just noticed those 360 screens going around the corner of that pic, too. Seems like a lot of kiosks... I'm counting about 19, not including the multiple ones needed for each Forza rig.

Shaneus

shinnn said:
er.. just for clarification.. it's a 3D rendering of the booth =p
Pretty sure those three screens aren't from any demo/trailer we've seen, though. The pic with the parts separating from that GT is definitely new... I think.

shinnn said:
er.. just for clarification.. it's a 3D rendering of the booth =p
LOL. I was looking at the racing rig setup hard core. They looked to be fanatec wheels but I wasn't sure, and the shifter looked like it was new so I thought we were seeing the club sport shifter. Well that was a waste of 5min.

Metalmurphy said:
We haven't seen any of this cause Che is gone :p

Seriously though, without trying to start shit up, i think it's pretty apparent that they're going after all the best things in GT5, and that's a good thing. The first trailer showed a focus on the actual motorsport, and not stupid shit like stunts and livery editor, we're getting a "Photo Travel" mode, the Top Gear license, night racing, the new FOV, hell even the color palette is more similar to GT5 now.

Kinda hilarious after all the "stagnant" talk, but in the end, it's a good thing that they're doing it. And you can already tell they're gonna do a hell of a better job in some of the stuff, like the Top Gear license.
Scumbag Metalmurphy, says he won't stir shit up.

SCUMBAGSTEVE.jpg

Stirs shit up anyway.

G Rom

Shaneus said:
Pretty sure those three screens aren't from any demo/trailer we've seen, though. The pic with the parts separating from that GT is definitely new... I think.

The top one is new (we've seen this environment in the leaked video though) but the others aren't. The left and right ones are two of the so-called in-game ray-traced screenshots from last E3 and the middle one is from the official announcement at VGA :

5255914184_2bdd4de73a_o.jpg

Shaneus

G Rom said:
The top one is new (we've seen this environment in the leaked video though) but the others aren't. The left and right ones are two of the so-called in-game ray-traced screenshots from last E3 and the middle one is from the official announcement at VGA :

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5001/5255914184_2bdd4de73a_o.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Ah yes, cheers. I've just a good (read: not at work) look at that pic again. That unseen one looks fucking badass. Lighting seems dead-on perfect in it.

ResidentDante said:
Scumbag Metalmurphy, says he won't stir shit up.

[]http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/SCUMBAGSTEVE.jpg[/]

Stirs shit up anyway.
I find it funny how only you and cjelly thought that. You, that trolled the hell the hell outta gt5 in the past, and cjelly that's been on a personal vendeta against me since e3 2007 lol.

How about you read all my posts here? I haven't said nothing but positive things on F4. Get your heads out of ur asses.

amar212

Metalmurphy said:
I haven't said nothing but positive things on F4. Get your heads out of ur asses.

Get over it Murph. Both you, me and many others here will always be considered as "GT fanboys" just because we tend to find more positive sides in GT than average Joe.

It is normal that any criticism - even constructive one - gets a "fanboy" badge and you should really do not give a damn.

I remember when Che was suprised when I told him I got 2 X360, X360 racing wheel and that I play and enjoy Forza series from first game (to be honest, enjoy from FM2 because I rally couldn't swallow FM1 physics by no chance and there was no decent wheel for first Xbox backthen).

Also, I have to say that I 100% agree with you regarding Livery Editor focus. From my personal perspective, all the man-hours and hardware resources invested into further development of performance of Livery Editor could made a better driving game if invested into something else driving-wise. But I can also understand that Livery Editor grown into most important mainstream/community-feature of the series and I can live with that.

In my perfect world, Forza would put much more focus onto emphasizing tire-characteristics and their influence on driving on stock cars and rebalancing PI system from the foundation. It would also drastically limit possibilities of vehicle modification (tuning), bringing them to real-life boundaries through "tuning-classes".

I would drastically separate light/medium/heavy tuned cars (through some virtual percentage of modification) into separate categories in order to prevent their usage in both offline and online and balancing the overall experience.

Also, physics and vehicle models would be much more influenced by actual tuning with simulation of all handicaps produced by unbalanced tuning.

But than again, all of that doesn't matter. I am looking forward to FM4 and I really hope it will be the ultimate racing game of 2011.

amar212 said:
Also, I have to say that I 100% agree with you regarding Livery Editor focus. From my personal perspective, all the man-hours and hardware resources invested into further development of performance of Livery Editor could made a better driving game if invested into something else driving-wise. But I can also understand that Livery Editor grown into most important mainstream/community-feature of the series and I can live with that.
Are you pulling this from your ass? I highly doubt a large section of the development team are doing this livery part and if so can you give some source to that info? I also hardly believe that the livery editor is made for the mainstream. Mainstrem people just buy the standard cars in the game and drive, the people using hours in livery editor and look around for liveries on the online auctions aren't exactly casual Forza gamers.

AlanzTalon said:

In most racing games I only use the quick race/arcade mode, and never touch the campaign or multi-player. The arcade mode in Forza lacks a lot of customization options (AI difficulty, laps, etc.), and setting up the same thing with AI in the multi-player mode is much to cumbersome (e.g. selecting different AI cars with a PI in the neighborhood of you own car, as arcade mode does, is almost impossible in multi-player mode).

TheOddOne

amar212 said:
Get over it Murph. Both you, me and many others here will always be considered as "GT fanboys" just because we tend to find more positive sides in GT than average Joe.
I think people tend to label people fanboys, because of how fast people jump on something negative and tend to get embroiled in it. You can almost see the backlash, know who's gonna jump the gun and just ruin the thread. Then it tends to go into zone's in where logic and reasoning fly out the window and we get a fullblow warzone. Thats my 2 cents on that topic.

Top Bottom