• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

Shaneus

I knew it! From Eurogamer:
It's a car list that, while beautifully realised across the board, is missing some of the eccentric exotica that Gran Turismo 5 excels in, and if Polyphony are accused of a slant towards anonymous Japanese machinery then Turn 10 are equally guilty of overindulging in US muscle cars.

shinnn

Big Ass Ramp said:
Gamespot score: 8.5 Also says it is similar to F3.
Gamespot review politic is so stupid. The preview guy says one thing, and the reviewer is completely different and seen uninteressed in the game. Playing like a burnout game, 99% of chase view footage, I can't remember seen a replay footage in the entire review, some nitpicks like the AI making mistakes on rewind, or wrong information like multi-class racing making a debut. What a boring review compared to the excellent preview with awesome footage.

edit:

Zonda Nordschleife Gameplay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsLs4xB9u4s

GT Cat & Mouse gameplay
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/cat-and-forza-motorsport/721818

Looks like the Cat & Mouse video does not have damage at all? Even cosmetic can be disabled?

G Rom

AIs making mistakes when rewinding was already in FM3 anyway...

About the car list, I think people who didn't get FM3 DLCs nor played Ultimate Edition will discover many many new cars. If like me, you got all DLCs then there are obviously less surprises. Hopefully we get more European classics in DLC though.

Lingitiz

shinnn said:
Gamespot review politic is so stupid. The preview guy says one thing, and the reviewer is completely different and seen uninteressed in the game. Playing like a burnout game, 99% of chase view footage, I can't remember seen a replay footage in the entire review, some nitpicks like the AI making mistakes on rewind, or wrong information like multi-class racing making a debut. What a boring review compared to the excellent preview with awesome footage.

edit:

Zonda Nordschleife Gameplay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsLs4xB9u4s

GT Cat & Mouse gameplay
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/cat-and-forza-motorsport/721818

Looks like the Cat & Mouse video does not have damage at all? Even cosmetic can be disabled?
Wow the Zonda vid shows just how much the sense of speed was improved. Really great.

nofi

So many things I forgot to mention in my write-up.

• Smoother career progress.
  • Lovely visuals in hot lap mode (single car, obviously).
  • Some incredible sound in the gruntier cars.
  • Damage is great.
  • Tweakable settings (with deadzones for everything).
  • Improved cockpit view.

Damn.

Lingitiz

nofi said:
So many things I forgot to mention in my write-up.

• Smoother career progress.
  • Lovely visuals in hot lap mode (single car, obviously).
  • Some incredible sound in the gruntier cars.
  • Damage is great.
  • Tweakable settings (with deadzones for everything).
  • Improved cockpit view.

Damn.
One thing I wanted to know is if the career is able to keep things fresh and interesting. I got really burned out on Forza 3's career because it was just so sterile and got stale the longer the races got.

G Rom

Cockpit view is indeed so much better, it can't be said enough.
Also agree on the sound, I love the use of LFE in some cars during certain ranges of RPM for example.

nofi

Lingitiz said:
One thing I wanted to know is if the career is able to keep things fresh and interesting. I got really burned out on Forza 3's career because it was just so sterile and got stale the longer the races got.

Yes. Career mode is much, much improved. Really flexible now and tailored to you and your current car at all times.

G Rom said:
Also agree on the sound, I love the use of LFE in some cars during certain ranges of RPM for example.

Amazing with Dolby headphones, too.

squared

saladine1 said:
It's hard to make out 100% but is sounds like the dump valve is pretty spot on for the F40.
PGR4 again, but I loved the fact that every turbo charged vehicle had a bov/wastegate chatter specific to that car. For example, the F40 dump valave sounded totally different to the Sledgehammer Corvette, the Radical had a different sound compared to the Rossion Q1 etc..

Äbout the dump valve sound - it's identical to the M5 sound in the demo :(

So I guess we have just three different sounds for turbo sounds this time too?

G Rom said:

Is this effect missing from the demo or do no cars really benefit from it?

Snubbers

amar212 said:
Three games later and Still reusing that same ancient in-house model Bizzare created in 2003 for Project Gotham 2?

Dear God.

Not defending it, "it's not entirely accurate" as someone once said.

But, in 2 years all they can add is a handful of new tracks, if the re-modelled the Nordschliefe, it would have meant even less new tracks, and I'm speculating that Positano/New york and Bugatti where all resource dependant 'drops'..

They need to outsource or get a bigger team..

witness

Wow the IGN review has somehow made me even more hyped.

One thing I still want to know is if you change the exhaust does it actually change the appearance of it? Its the one thing I still want.

amar212

Snubbers said:
They need to outsource or get a bigger team..

They already outsource everything that can be outsourced and their entire workman force is larger than 400 people worldwide.

But since they've travelled a nice vacation to Switzerland in order to capture the essence of Alps with full crew - including their main track modeller guy - for making fictional track as realistic as they can, I just wonder why on God damn Earth they didn't travel from 200 kilometres more and visit the most iconic track in the world in order to make it as realistic as they can.

And not to use almost a decade old asset in order to present the Nordschelife.

It is not like they're short on budget or something.

And before further "defending" I will just point out how Takuro Eika and his 3 (three) members of track team did one of the best virtualization ever done for Konami's Enthusia Professional Racing in 2005 with budget probably laughable compared to one available to Turn 10.

We're waiting for years now for them to make it right. But nevermind, I guess I can only be bashed for stances like this.

If you bought car pack DLCs for Forza 3 were the cars in your garage or did you have to buy them? I hope you have to buy them in a way, something I enjoy about raising money for a car I want.

Mascot

Are engine/mechanical/environmental sounds still ridiculously muffled in the cockpit view? As much as I love it I'll bite the bullet and switch to hood cam or bumper cam to get the full rawness of the audio this time around.

It'll piss me off no end to miss out on the lovingly rendered cockpits and the added immersion from the claustraphobic internal POV, but the sacrifice will be ultimately worth it to get the full force of the audio.

derFeef

Nah amar, your stance is valid and correct. It is weird because so many have complained about it with the last games. It's probably something I would not notice as a more casual racing gamer, but I fully understand it.

Gowans

Lingitiz said:
Yeah they really improved that, I'm spending my time just wanting to go to the next race now.

So smooth and easy to pick the right car and upgrades and the addition of more cars on the track, cones and challenges let them do a lot more variety in events and race types to really freshen things up.

GOWANS where is your written review :p

Snkfanatic said:
If you bought car pack DLCs for Forza 3 were the cars in your garage or did you have to buy them? I hope you have to buy them in a way, something I enjoy about raising money for a car I want.
in free play you could play with the dlc cars without paying, in the career mode you had to still buy the cars, some of them like ferrari's were up to 12mil! in the early car packs, then turn10 made it less silly with the later ones.

nofi

Gowans007 said:
Yeah they really improved that, I'm spending my time just wanting to go to the next race now.

So smooth and easy to pick the right car and upgrades and the addition of more cars on the track, cones and challenges let them do a lot more variety in events and race types to really freshen things up.

The overtaking one-on-one battle down the mountain was an early blast.

Saying Forza 4 is similar to Forza 3 is kind of redundant isn't it? I mean ... I'm not knocking them but there's only so much that will change with a racing game lol.

"Madden 2011 is similar 2012"
"Zelda SS is similar to Zelda TP"
"Uncharted 3 is similar to Uncharted 2"

I mean ... of course it is? I guess I just think it's funny when people say it's similar when it's a sequel.

Great reviews so far. If I could drive to Amazon's shipping facility and make sure I get it launch day I would.

h3ro

Those that already have the game. Is there anyway to move up the camera in the cockpit view?

It feels a little too far back for me.

Snubbers

cjelly said:
I hope GAME ship mine early.

I ordered in-store, I've had GAME orders arrive late before, so wanted to make sure I could get it myself.. it would be torture if the gods didn't smile on me and FM4 was delayed until Monday...

I might order the speed wheel/standard FM4 combo (£70) from Shopto for the kids, if that happened to turn up early I'll still get to play it!

nagge said:

LMAO, my bad ... edited.
KuGsj.gif

Gowans

nofi said:
The overtaking one-on-one battle down the mountain was an early blast.
Yeah that's what made it sink in for me. That race felt epic to me, giving him a little head start so it was a chase was a cleaver touch.

eso76

h3ro said:
Those that already have the game. Is there anyway to move up the camera in the cockpit view?

It feels a little too far back for me.

can be zoomed in with the same multiscreen trick as fm3, but can't be adjusted.

also, slightly disappointing is the fact there really is no surprise to discover in the retail version. no open wheels, no classic f1, no secret track etc. i don't know how those rumors spread.
Also looks like a lot of unique cars were moved to DLC.

saladine1

Mascot said:
Are engine/mechanical/environmental sounds still ridiculously muffled in the cockpit view? As much as I love it I'll bite the bullet and switch to hood cam or bumper cam to get the full rawness of the audio this time around.

It'll piss me off no end to miss out on the lovingly rendered cockpits and the added immersion from the claustraphobic internal POV, but the sacrifice will be ultimately worth it to get the full force of the audio.
Well, it's normal for the cockpit view sounds to be muffled right?
It wouldnt be right if we had the full experience in that confined space. It's less exciting but ultimately realistic.
I myself usually play in hood view specifically because of the sounds being more raw and you can usually pick up the smaller nuances of the valvetrain,intake and other details.
I would love though, to have the GTR2 option of exterior sounds in the interior. Enjoy the cockpit view as well as the amazing sounds at the same time....yummy!

The_Monk

Grr, in here the game releases on a Friday, if they don't send this on the release date it means I'll miss a weekend and have to wait 2 more days...

VVV Mars VG

eso76 said:
can be zoomed in with the same multiscreen trick as fm3, but can't be adjusted.

also, slightly disappointing is the fact there really is no surprise to discover in the retail version. no open wheels, no classic f1, no secret track etc. i don't know how those rumors spread.
Also looks like a lot of unique cars were moved to DLC.

I put the open wheel question directly to Dan, should have his repsonse up over the weekend along with a detailed explanation on the new physics.

I made a quick vid today http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BWA5H0ECqg lots more coming.

Mascot

saladine1 said:
Well, it's normal for the cockpit view sounds to be muffled right?
It wouldnt be right if we had the full experience in that confined space. It's less exciting but ultimately realistic.
I myself usually play in hood view specifically because of the sounds being more raw and you can usually pick up the smaller nuances of the valvetrain,intake and other details.
I would love though, to have the GTR2 option of exterior sounds in the interior. Enjoy the cockpit view as well as the amazing sounds at the same time....yummy!
Yeah, I know it's more realistic, but it would be nice to have the option.

VVV Mars VG

I'll be putting up a video review of the CSR within the next day or so, suffice to say it feels great on Forza 4, its the best wheel by a mile for the XB. I was never keen on the 911 wheel, it felt too big, to slow and too heavy, more like driving a bus than a race car. The new lightweight design feels better, ergonimic grips and paddle placement is nice, it's lighter and quicker to react. Button placement can be an issue but programmable options are handy, its better for Forza then F1, I still feel it's too big for F1 but playable all the same and you'll see more in the upcoming vid. :)

For now though, I'm uploading a second video, Toyota GT One on Maple Valley, then more to follow besides a look at options, wireless wheel and head tracking. Hope to record some online games this weekend too.

Anyone still playing Forza 3? I'm trying to get the achievement for selling a tune. I put one up for $1000, if anyone wants to buy it I'd be real grateful :) Description is "nisgren" its for a C class S13 Silvia.

I was looking at the leaderboards while I was finishing season play. These V12 guys dominate almost every board. Sometimes their power # isn't even maxed out. IE if the cutoff was 425 for the class they will have top slot in a car with a PI of 410. Not sure if this is just showing off or they know something I dont.

Top Bottom