• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Its weird that 5 months after release, there is no marketplace.

i'm curious if its missing has anything to do with the perceived monetization of the game? even still, you'd think they'd erase any reference to it in game via patch (if possible) if they've abandoned the idea.

Long Beach free from tomorrow
http://news.xbox.com/2014/04/games-forza-motorsport-5-long-beach-track
Starting April 10, the famed Long Beach circuit is coming to the “Forza Motorsport” franchise for the first time in “Forza Motorsport 5.” Available for free as part of the latest “Forza Motorsport 5” content update, delivering tight turns and blindingly quick straights, Long Beach is surrounded by the sun-drenched beauty of southern California.

The full eleven-turn, 1.97-mile course, home to this weekend’s 40th running of the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach, is included, as well as two alternate ribbons: the slightly shorter East Loop and the half-mile West Loop, both of which are perfect for drifting or pushing your technical driving skills to their limits.

HeliosT10

Long Beach free from tomorrow
http://news.xbox.com/2014/04/games-forza-motorsport-5-long-beach-track
Starting April 10, the famed Long Beach circuit is coming to the “Forza Motorsport” franchise for the first time in “Forza Motorsport 5.” Available for free as part of the latest “Forza Motorsport 5” content update, delivering tight turns and blindingly quick straights, Long Beach is surrounded by the sun-drenched beauty of southern California.

The full eleven-turn, 1.97-mile course, home to this weekend’s 40th running of the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach, is included, as well as two alternate ribbons: the slightly shorter East Loop and the half-mile West Loop, both of which are perfect for drifting or pushing your technical driving skills to their limits.

Worth a new thread in "Gaming" surely :p

Seriously though, we're really pleased to be making this announcement and personally I can't wait to get on track with you all tomorrow :)

Ade

I always wondered what happened to the "Track Pass" that was once in the marketplace along side the "Car Pass" DLC.

Reading between the lines in the latest Xbox Wire article:

The Forza Motorsport Car Pass includes the six monthly DLC packs that Car Pass owners will receive through May 2014 as well as the five-car Road America Booster Packs and the five-car Long Beach Booster Pack.

I get the impression that these "free tracks" and associated car packs which are in addition to the six monthly car pass car packs were once intended to be part of that Track Pass (3 Tracks and 3 sets of five car packs?)

Well another free track is cool - the track count in the game is getting almost respectable now.

But it's not the track many of us wanted is it?

But at least it hints at the list of yet to come tracks being accurate and we'll get them eventually. With Horizon 2 probably coming this year they'll want to keep FM5 alive until autumn 2015 when I assume we'll get FM6.

zorbsie

All jokes aside free tracks is awesome news. We will be racing in long beach next weekend with GT cars. Should be loads of fun. Can't wait to check this track out. I know this is silly, but I hope that roller coaster in the background actually runs. Helios, will you join us for the weekend racing league? We promise not to ask too many questions.

I always wondered what happened to the "Track Pass" that was once in the marketplace along side the "Car Pass" DLC.

Reading between the lines in the latest Xbox Wire article:

I get the impression that these "free tracks" and associated car packs which are in addition to the six monthly car pass car packs were once intended to be part of that Track Pass (3 Tracks and 3 sets of five car packs?)

Do we know the cars that are in the Long Beach Booster pack yet?

Yes, it looks fabulous actually. Have just watched the YouTube trailer and it is wonderfully detailed. Amazing job T10 has done on it - really looking forward to racing there.

All jokes aside free tracks is awesome news. We will be racing in long beach next weekend with GT cars. Should be loads of fun. Can't wait to check this track out. I know this is silly, but I hope that roller coaster in the background actually runs. Helios, will you join us for the weekend racing league? We promise not to ask too many questions.

Yes, it looks fabulous actually. Have just watched the YouTube trailer and it is wonderfully detailed. Amazing job T10 has done on it - really looking forward to racing there.

Yeah, it does look spectacular. I just can't help but be slightly disappointed about the fact that its not The Ring.

1977 Ford Coyote Gilmore77
1974 Lancia Stratos HF Stradale
1956 Jaguar D-Type
1998 Mercedes-Benz AMG Mercedes CLK GTR
1971 Ferrari #2 Ferrari Automobili 312 P

Damn, nice!

ElNino

Well another free track is cool - the track count in the game is getting almost respectable now.

But it's not the track many of us wanted is it?

But at least it hints at the list of yet to come tracks being accurate and we'll get them eventually. With Horizon 2 probably coming this year they'll want to keep FM5 alive until autumn 2015 when I assume we'll get FM6.
I know lots of people want the Ring, but personally I'm much happier with these "normal" length circuits. I've never really enjoyed racing on the full Ring, but I can appreciate that there are many who do... so hopefully it comes out soon for you guys.

I know lots of people want the Ring, but personally I'm much happier with these "normal" length circuits. I've never really enjoyed racing on the full Ring, but I can appreciate that there are many who do... so hopefully it comes out soon for you guys.

The Ring isn't something I particularly like racing on either. But I love driving on it. It's my favourite hotlapping/car test tracks.

p3tran

Banned
Nice, looking forward to it. Smart Geometrics leak is legit then.

it was always legit my friend, and it was our discovery, not a leak ;)

I am happy with the news by the way, and while I would love to race the laser scanned ring this week, trying out a brand new laser scanned track like this one is certainly not a bad alternative in any possible way.

edit: oh, a booster car pack too eh? niiice 8)

The Ring isn't something I particularly like racing on either. But I love driving on it. It's my favourite hotlapping/car test tracks.

Yup, that is exactly why I love it. I love long, interesting tracks to just take the cars out on for fun. Plus I really want to do an updated version of my 50 Days of Green Hell!

eso76

Long Beach looks absolutely amazing, and i really appreciate T10 giving new tracks for free.

Unfortunately i am no longer a xbox one owner, but this is making me regret my choice.
Will probably have to buy it again down the line.

Great job T10.

Krakatoa

Thanks T10 for all the hard work you have put into Forza post launch.

Can't wait to play it all weekend :) Now I don't have to go to the track Saturday I can play it from home.

Wonderful news this morning! It's heartening to see that the free DLC will not be restricted to content returning from Forzas past, and a new-to-the-franchise circuit is more exciting to me than reheated leftovers, the 'Ring included.

I take it Long Beach is on deck for the races this Sunday? GT racers on a new circuit is tempting, but seeing as how forces beyond my control have conspired to take my weekends away, for the last several weeks and the foreseeable future, I doubt I'll be able to join the fun. I will definitely get some hot laps in for the TT competition, though.

Mascot

Wow, just saw the Long Beach video. That looks amazing. Truly a testament to the craftsman's skill combined with the power of modern technology. It looks incredibly life-like - you'd never guess it wasn't real. Anyway, enough about Dan's hair transplant: the track looks bloody great too, and it's pretty damn awesome of Turn 10 to put this out for free. Good work, chaps.

Autoblog has an interview with DG up, (click to show the press release). There are some interesting tidbits in there, including some information on the track creation process.

Step-By-Step Walkthrough of Turn 10 Track Building Process

These are the general processes (with some added background on data) the Turn 10 Studios team follows.

1. Pre-Production: Source Track
- Reference track: Gather on average tens of thousands of photographs for location and color reference, laser scan proposed track route and surrounding area
-- Team captures more than 1.4 billion data points per track, resulting in sub-centimeter positional accuracy for unique surfaces, routes, and surrounding environments.
- Organize reference material
-- Reference material includes location statistics like surface materials, local architecture, vegetation, etc.
- Track story/workbook created
-- Background for track is discussed, to be included in descriptions for the game. Team sets internal build schedule and estimate delivery cadence.

2. Course Mapped: Fully integrated into Forza engine
- Build track outline, test game play
-- Laser scan composites are added into the game
- Create AI splines
-- Determine and build starting grid location
- Create track in database
-- Track will now become part of the official Forza daily build

3. Rough Build: Memory & performance footprint are tested in-engine
- All objects are placed in their foot printed area
-- The team added more than 200 percent increase in the number of distinct objects that make up the body of a track.
- Forza Surface Based Materials properties assigned
-- "Forza Motorsport 5" tracks have 6x more unique materials than in "Forza Motorsport 4."

4. Refine Build: All rough assets replaced with actual models, textures, & shaders
- Make all elements "shippable"
- Licensing – all real-life elements (track signage, advertising, etc.) approved and signed-off by partners
- Extensive bug testing, refining of materials and play experience

5. Polish Build: Bug fixes, visual polish, & performance optimizations
- Work with Environment Leads to prioritize assets to be polished
- Testing by test leads

6. Final Build Finish and Release: Final updates
- Comprehensive bug sweep, preparation for delivery to customers

Also, while most here no doubt expected as much, it's still nice to hear it from the man himself:

The Beardawalt said:
I don't have any announcements to make today about specific future content but I will say that we're not done yet.

Monza next then?

Good one there Mascot but your praise rang alarm bells early on.

Dan's hair though.

Edit: wasn't there a stream of the track somewhere, has it been saved? I wonder if the replay angles are any good.

I like Monza but it depends on the class of car and who I'm racing against.

Barring a few of T10's overly wide fantasy circuits there's fun to be had on any track if the competition is good.

op_ivy

awesome news, long beach looks absolutely awesome. great work turn 10. keep'em
amalfi
coming

op_ivy

still not up. but i did get a new design badge! ... still without a single credit earned though. fuck this new marketplace system, lol

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Damn still not up.

Would it appear on the XBL markeplace or would forza just update and the track downloads same time?

Top Bottom