• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

Shaneus

Okay okay okay... why are people pissed about the car list in that pack? Is it because we were told that every car would be modeled from scratch and assuming that because every car in that pack was in FM4 or Horizon, that they're likely to be the same models?

Just want to make sure I'm on the same page here.
Can someone answer me on this? It's bugging me :/

saladine1

For me, it's the fact that these cars should've been included in the game from the start considering the lowly 200 vehicle count. Dan said that nothing is being held back and that everything that is releasing on day 1 is finished content. Then why are you holding back cars from the main game only to sell it back on the same fucking day the game launches?!?
If these were completely brand spanking new cars that we haven't seen before, it might lessen the impact somewhat. But cars we already had before makes it doubly bullshit.

That's my take on it.

I can only answer from my own perspective, but for me, yes, it's the recycled nature of the DLC that's bugging me, as well as it being Day one. There's also the wildly conflicting PR statements which just don't add up.
Greenawalt made a statement between FM3 and 4 about 'future proofing' assets i.e. Scanning the cars accurately enough, with enough polygons to make the next-gen jump. You can see that in the quality of the car models in FM3 and onwards. That's sound business practice. It would not be sensible to scrap everything and build from scratch, as some of the PR blurb has been inferring.

Of course they then have to work damn hard in putting in new shaders textures, tweaking the physics, sounds etc but T10 have always done this between instalments. Just look at the improvements between FM2 and 4. They also introduced new lighting and physics models in each of those games .Yet the number of assets went up.

I can believe Dan's statement of grading assets and re-doing the worst offending car models/tracks. If one looks closely enough at the car and track list, you can see that it is FM1 2 and 3 asset heavy, looking like they prioritised the most inaccurate models first, and have simply ran out of time in putting the later cars and tracks in. It's the only thing that makes rational sense to me. Why else would they leave out so many FM4 cars and tracks?

T10 have simply been a victim of the vagaries of being a launch title on a platform which has had a well publicised difficult gestation period. I have a great deal of sympathy with that, just don't piss on me and tell me it's rain.lol.

Sorry about the incoherent rant, should have just written ' Launch game is gonna be launch game'.

Shaneus

Thanks guys!

For me, it's the fact that these cars should've been included in the game from the start considering the lowly 200 vehicle count. Dan said that nothing is being held back and that everything that is releasing on day 1 is finished content. Then why are you holding back cars from the main game only to sell it back on the same fucking day the game launches?!?
If these were completely brand spanking new cars that we haven't seen before, it might lessen the impact somewhat. But cars we already had before makes it doubly bullshit.

That's my take on it.
Yeah, I think I can see that. Thing is, with some of these cars, we have the benefit of knowing some of the quirky modelling mishaps and checking if they're the same, probably just like putting a mark on a particular gift for someone if you suspect them of being regifters, then checking the mark is there or not when you get that same present for *your* birthday.

I can only answer from my own perspective, but for me, yes, it's the recycled nature of the DLC that's bugging me, as well as it being Day one. There's also the wildly conflicting PR statements which just don't add up.
Greenawalt made a statement between FM3 and 4 about 'future proofing' assets i.e. Scanning the cars accurately enough, with enough polygons to make the next-gen jump. You can see that in the quality of the car models in FM3 and onwards. That's sound business practice. It would not be sensible to scrap everything and build from scratch, as some of the PR blurb has been inferring.

Of course they then have to work damn hard in putting in new shaders textures, tweaking the physics, sounds etc but T10 have always done this between instalments. Just look at the improvements between FM2 and 4. They also introduced new lighting and physics models in each of those games .Yet the number of assets went up.

I can believe Dan's statement of grading assets and re-doing the worst offending car models/tracks. If one looks closely enough at the car and track list, you can see that it is FM1 2 and 3 asset heavy, looking like they prioritised the most inaccurate models first, and have simply ran out of time in putting the later cars and tracks in. It's the only thing that makes rational sense to me. Why else would they leave out so many FM4 cars and tracks?

T10 have simply been a victim of the vagaries of being a launch title on a platform which has had a well publicised difficult gestation period. I have a great deal of sympathy with that, just don't piss on me and tell me it's rain.lol.

Sorry about the incoherent rant, should have just written ' Launch game is gonna be launch game'.
Yeah, I agree with most of your points, although not on your last bit of them being a "victim of" whatever... I think they should've set expectations low then overdelivered, rather than setting expectations high and screwing over their most ardent of supporters. When someone like Mascot (and even myself) is looking at avoiding the game completely, you know you haven't done something right... and you can't blame the hubbub of the console's sketchy launch leadup for that.

Should've launched with PGR5.

faberpach

I think one day they will tell the whole story and it will be funny to know when MS was expecting to launch the new xbox one. A lot of voices tell it was rushed we do not know by how much but it seems clear that a lot of development teams were tell ok you have less time.

New hardware, new models It is clear they were just caught on the wrong foot and that explains a lot of the mess we are on the low number of cars and tracks.

What I find it really unforgettable is how badly they have communicated it and how now they just are going to put a premium price to content that could be expected to be on the game if we are being reasonable.

Also I would love to have some insight on the cost of everything there might be a next gen premium on the cost of all assets based on they working model and this could have impacted on how now they need to put a prize to everything instead of putting a content patch as it was said at one point.

Poor planing has afected this game but at the end of the day this friday I will be happy to have forza 5 to enjoy my new toy and to be honest for me is what matters more.

But then after all the launch dust clears up I hope for some honest interviews about how we ended here.

p3tran

Banned
that would have made ZERO difference, since its a pricing model we are talking about here.
the only thing that might keep microsoft greed to lower levels would be the pgr franchise not selling good before.

to me its very clear, like I posted many weeks ago, that at one point they had a meeting, they looked at what they where ready to offer, compared to what other offerings were,
then realized that they can SELL the content that was originally to be included.

@Shaneus - Well, I was trying to empathise with T10 and the huge crunch that must have happened, but yes, I certainly take your point re expectations, and how they're treating their core community - hence the phrase 'Don't piss on me and tell me it's rain'. And yes, a lot of my hardcore Forza friends are taking a wait and see approach for a game that's usually in our drives 90% of the time.

The PR/marketing for this game has been shockingly bad. It's almost like they didn't know what's going to be included and excluded, and then when the bombshells hit re content, the response was silence ( Is Helios currently being re-engineered? ) , or tone-deaf contempt, 'They'll buy it or they won't.' - Astonishing, yet unfortunately very predictable for corporate culture.

Is Helios currently being re-engineered?

What would he say? "It only look like a shit-sandwich, it tastes much better than that." Until Turn 10/MS has a good answer it's better to say nothing about this. There might never be a good answer. MS sure as shit isn't going to admit that they're launching six months early or whatever the case may be.

I would like to believe that the situation isn't quite so calculated as p3tran suggests, though I will grant that it's possible.

What would he say? "It only look like a shit-sandwich, it tastes much better than that." Until Turn 10/MS has a good answer it's better to say nothing about this. There might never be a good answer. MS sure as shit isn't going to admit that they're launching six months early or whatever the case may be.

I would like to believe that the situation isn't quite so calculated as p3tran suggests, though I will grant that it's possible.

Oh I agree. It was just a glib turn of phrase playing on one of Dan's phrases.

'Re-engineering the Sun' - Sun equals Helios - greek god of the Sun?.......

I'll get my coat.

faberpach

From the eurogamer review - "but it's been stripped back to make Xbox One's launch, and augmented with a host of ugly extras that only serve Microsoft's bid to make a few dollars more."

So much on the spot. amazing launch game in my opinion but at a big prize for the series...

saladine1

Nice reviews although it seems possible that FM5 will be the lowest rated in the series.
The lack of cars,tracks and features have no doubt hurt..

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Nice reviews although it seems possible that FM5 will be the lowest rated in the series.

Yeah. Next-gen reviews have been generally harder on the games, which is fine. Lots the like though, I'm excited.

adelante

I like that they've toned down bloom in certain segments, and that they've added glass to certain windows etc, but overall IQ, cleanliness, lighting and in areas, AO and texture/geometry detail just seems to have taken a dive.
And not just on the buildings, they've replaced most of the polygonal crowds with 2D sprites too (this was clear since they revealed Spa, brimming with spectators). The only ones that are animated now are those waving flags; in previous builds there were plenty of people moving their arms, cheering on.

We've come a long way since that E3 debut. Visual downgrade aside, who would've thought a Forza game would ship with only this much content. I for one am glad to see the reviews reflect this :|

As it should.

I've no doubt I will love this game to bits.

But the lack of tracks does deserve to hit T10 in the metacritic ratings. I would understand if it was all they were able to do in time - but I think we all suspect content is being held back for DLC. And that deserves some points lost.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

so, what was your secret "big news"? was it the additional expansion dlc packs? spill it

adelante

Nope, they should've just called this FM 5: Prologue/Intro/... or something. They set our expectations up high when they deemed this game worthy of being considered a mainline sequel.

I feel that people probably wouldnt have any problem with Turn10 treating this as a beefy nex-gen "prelude", then introducing the car/expansion/super passes like they've already planned, with the intention of supplementing a glorified expansion with new content leading all way to a true FM5 a couple years later, with new features that we've been asking for. If they want to appear as ambitious, this is the right way to do it imho.

So the video review of pcgames.de says that there is constant stutter during replays in 1080p. They also say that there are problems with the framerate during gameplay in cockpit view.

According to the reviewer the game runs fine in 720p. Is this new info?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fbM-IUKa6U

Really?

That'd be incredibly disappointing if true.

I've noticed tiny pauses and judder in videos but put them down to the captures or sync problems.

Jamesways

Reading that Edge review, is it true they removed Free Play? No more hotlap or quick races while being able to choose any car, unlocked in career or not?

If so, that's some bullshit right there.

Probably could create some custom offline lobbies, but still, then you only have access to the cars in your garage.

No more trying cars before you buy then.

jem0208

Reading that Edge review, is it true they removed Free Play? No more hotlap or quick races while being able to choose any car, unlocked in career or not?

If so, that's some bullshit right there.

Probably could create some custom offline lobbies, but still, then you only have access to the cars in your garage.

No more trying cars before you buy then.

On the Gamespot stream they selected Free play.

I'm pretty certain Edge is wrong...

nib95

Banned
And not just on the buildings, they've replaced most of the polygonal crowds with 2D sprites too (this was clear since they revealed Spa, brimming with spectators). The only ones that are animated now are those waving flags; in previous builds there were plenty of people moving their arms, cheering on.

We've come a long way since that E3 debut. Visual downgrade aside, who would've thought a Forza game would ship with only this much content. I for one am glad to see the reviews reflect this :|

I think they've removed some motion blur as well. Overall, the more I compare and contrast, the bigger a downgrade it appears to be. These aren't small changes, some are pretty significant.

On the plus side, the frame rate is a solid 60fps. I know many value frame rate over visuals, so maybe it was a sacrifice they had to make to hold the frame rate.

Direct feed grabs from the 1GB DF footage
forza1080p60.mp4_snap2ffux.png

forza1080p60.mp4_snapu4dj4.png

They removed the ability to choose any car— you can use one of a selection of cars (chosen per track??) or any of your own cars.

Top Bottom