• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

U2NUMB

Ok guys how long is this hand holding at the beginning. Its going from race to race when I want to get to a menu and look around.

Also when does my VIP extra XP kick in? No verification that it is using the code I downloaded.

Outside of that really enjoying the game!

well, if one forza player, fan of drag (lets say me), supposedly asked something,
for example my first question would be if now we have a working tree, and how launches are made..

that, in my opinion, its about a hundred times more important that if you can pull wheelies or not..
so, tree? reaction times? these things fixed?
I'd guess they are the same.. but wheelies, yeah, you can pull them in f3&4 if you like

Very good points! But I would argue that even if they had a working tree and such, if the drag tires don't have the right grip then it is all meaningless.

I just don't understand how they could have messed up the drag tires so much and still never fixed them. It is too bad really.

Revson

If I had to guess, they made drag tires worse in this game because they were stupidly quick around circuits in FM4.

Some cars in A class were up to a second quicker on drag tires than if they were on race tires. It was stupid.

p3tran

Banned
so, since I'm not receiving forza+xbone anytime soon, who can check for me?

1) how are the leaderboards?
2) how are the drag races?

also, I think I saw that in forza 5 you cannot any more just create logos and stencils for everybody to buy/get and use on their paints.
so its basically, "if you want a nice "Tag Heuer" logo to add to your racing paintjob, do it yourself."
dat true also?

so, since I'm not receiving forza+xbone anytime soon, who can check for me?

1) how are the leaderboards?
2) how are the drag races?

also, I think I saw that in forza 5 you cannot any more just create logos and stencils for everybody to buy/get and use on their paints.
so its basically, "if you want a nice "Tag Houer" logo to add to your racing paintjob, do it yourself."
dat true also?

They were saying that there is no longer any type of marketplace, which is sad because that was part of what made Forza great.

I edited my post last page but i took to long to edit so here it is.

Edit: To answer the post above, no the point is not to show off doing a wheelie, it's about the grip you get on rwd cars. All my high power rwd cars had to have stupidly long gearing to not spin endlessly (120mph+ in first gear and the likes in 900hp+ cars) and even then you had to feather the throttle, the car would bog down, THEN you could give it full power, at which point you'd still get wheelspin at over 100mph, this was all kinds of wrong. While with actual drag tires and a decent suspention setup you should be able to get a decent takeoff with 900hp, and floor it after getting the takeoff grip.

A tree would be good, but only if drag racing actually worked as intended. Right now it's always kids in their retarded awd cars launching at redline that win everything. That's not what I would call "working as intended".

p3tran

Banned
I edited my post last page but i took to long to edit so here it is.

Edit: To answer the post above, no the point is not to show off doing a wheelie, it's about the grip you get on rwd cars. All my high power rwd cars had to have stupidly long gearing to not spin endlessly (120mph+ in first gear and the likes in 900hp+ cars) and even then you had to feather the throttle, the car would bog down, THEN you could give it full power, at which point you'd still get wheelspin at over 100mph, this was all kinds of wrong. While with actual drag tires and a decent suspention setup you should be able to get a decent takeoff with 900hp, and floor it after getting the takeoff grip.

A tree would be good, but only if drag racing actually worked as intended. Right now it's always kids in their retarded awd cars launching at redline that win everything. That's not what I would call "working as intended".

actually what hampers the "drag" mode is the lack of working christmas tree and measurement of reaction times.
instead of the above, you got the usual automatic "3,2,1,go", which kind of robs the substance out of drag racing.

a tire model that might get less friction is really no problem at all, because it does not hamper the drag competition, since response time and ability are still measured as intended.
also, in real life, when you are talking about 900hp drag cars, usually there is specialized gearing involved (amongst other specialized things), and still lots and lots of tirespin involved, no matter if the track even has glue on top of it...

Picked up the LCE earlier but I'm holding out until I can get a wheel before playing.
WHAT? :DDDDD
you, my friend, you cray

Picked up the LCE earlier but I'm holding out until I can get a wheel before playing.

Do the Day One cars have to be redeemed asap, if so is it a code on a slip of card I can just put into the Xbox website?

The other thing was, in Game today the guy behind the counter said free game with 12 months of Live, as I was in a hurry I brushed it off as I was sure there'd be some bullshit attached but now I'm worried I've missed out on something.

actually what hampers the "drag" mode is the lack of working christmas tree and measurement of reaction times.
instead of the above, you got the usual automatic "3,2,1,go", which kind of robs the substance out of drag racing.

a tire model that might get less friction is really no problem at all, because it does not hamper the drag competition, since response time and ability are still measured as intended.
also, in real life, when you are talking about 900hp drag cars, usually there is specialized gearing involved (amongst other specialized things), and still lots and lots of tirespin involved, no matter if the track even has glue on top of it...

I think the real problem with the drag tires sucking is that AWD then dominates. Unlike in real drag racing, AWD is really the only way to win in F4. If the drag tires had proper grip, then RWD vehicles would be able to keep up with (if not beat) the AWD cars.

And even with a working tree and better launches, if all you have to do is pick AWD and hold the gas down then it doesn't really work.

You need the proper grip on the drag tires to make the drag mode actually work and be competitive.

p3tran

Banned
I think the real problem with the drag tires sucking is that AWD then dominates. Unlike in real drag racing, AWD is really the only way to win in F4. If the drag tires had proper grip, then RWD vehicles would be able to keep up with (if not beat) the AWD cars.

And even with a working tree and better launches, if all you have to do is pick AWD and hold the gas down then it doesn't really work.

You need the proper grip on the drag tires to make the drag mode actually work and be competitive.

well, no matter what, awd at launch always gets a nice bonus compared to fwd/rwd.
its the lack of weight and the lack of extra various frictions that helps the quickest fwd/rwd to catch up later on and even pass.
fast awd spin their wheels for enough time too. its just that they spin all of them and so traction and maneuverability are still better.

instead of the above, you got the usual "3,2,1,go", which kind of robs the substance out of drag racing.

Lets say they put in a drag tree with reaction time. Great! Spend two hours fine tuning your 950hp Mustang for the best takeoff possible, do an online drag race, and all you hear is WAAAAHWAHWAHWAHWAHWAHWWAHWAHWAHAAHAHA, and the AWD "insert car here" next to you just reached 60mph in 1.2 seconds with a world of smoke behind it, and even though your reaction time was over half a freaking second faster than his, he still beat you handily because you couldn't get a hint of grip for the first 150mph.

Yeah, no, I'll take fixed drag tires over a working tree and reaction times ANY DAY. Response time ok, ability is completely out of the window. And in real life drag racing, yes there is wheelspin, but it is manageable witb good drag tires. Right now it's cometely IMPOSSIBLE to manage.

ShapeGSX

well, no matter what, awd at launch always gets a nice bonus compared to fwd/rwd.
its the lack of weight and the lack of extra various frictions that helps the quickest fwd/rwd to catch up later on and even pass.
fast awd spin their wheels for enough time too. its just that they spin all of them and so traction and maneuverability are still better.

Yup. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJKqII6R4F4

That's me in the AWD 97 GSX in the far lane on street tires. Jeez, that's an old video. I gotta get back to the track.

Jesus christ the wheels.

At this stage, I'm not sure if they are ignoring the community or just trolling us now.

I'm no developer, but I don't understand why it's so hard to correct a simple, but big mistake. They have had four games to do it.

And still T10 prides themselves in being car lovers. What a fucking joke!

p3tran

Banned
Lets say they put in a drag tree with reaction time. Great! Spend two hours fine tuning your 950hp Mustang for the best takeoff possible, do an online drag race, and all you hear is WAAAAHWAHWAHWAHWAHWAHWWAHWAHWAHAAHAHA, and the AWD "insert car here" next to you just reached 60mph in 1.2 seconds with a world of smoke behind it, and even though your reaction time was over half a freaking second faster than his, he still beat you handily because you couldn't get a hint of grip for the first 150mph.

Yeah, no, I'll take fixed drag tires over a working tree and reaction times ANY DAY. Response time ok, ability is completely out of the window. And in real life drag racing, yes there is wheelspin, but it is manageable witb good drag tires. Right now it's cometely IMPOSSIBLE to manage.

I guess that IF we ever got a working drag by my standards,
you would have to settle for ...fastest rwd driver , if you are that good, but play a game mode that really resembles what is important in drag races.

problem is, if drag is fixed by your standards, we will still have a joke of a mode,
with automatic launches and no real meaning. but then the awd may loose to fwd or rwd.

the information forza brings about acceleration/deceleration in the tune menus,
thats the outcome of the entire drag mode by your standards, right there.
no need to even go to the race. lowest number there simply wins.

;)

CSX

I remember being told that there are segments where the top gear gang are talking to each other about the cars and races in the game. Did anyone put up a link of that? Would love to see some of that

I guess that IF we ever got a working drag by my standards,
you would have to settle for ...fastest rwd driver , if you are that good, but play a game mode that really resembles what is important in drag races.

problem is, if drag is fixed by your standards, we will still have a joke of a mode,
with automatic launches and no real meaning. but then the awd may loose to fwd or rwd.

the information forza brings about acceleration/deceleration in the tune menus,
thats the outcome of the entire drag mode by your standards, right there.
no need to even go to the race. lowest number there simply wins.

;)

You would have to manage your grip, which would then be manageable. By your standard it's "press right trigger with the fastest reaction to win, in an awd car".

p3tran

Banned
You would have to manage your grip, which would then be manageable. By your standard it's "press right trigger with the fastest reaction to win, in an awd car".

ok, i will agree to that.
as i already wrote, in my scenario, you would be judged as a driver in drag racing, the car would be judged too, and it would maybe come down to competing in rwd classes only, or fwd or awd classes only.
still, it would still be much more of a proper drag mode.
and being disqualified for your twitchy finger would not make it as easy as you might think.. just like irl

My LCE content has downloaded and installed. I don't have my tokens yet though - T10 says it is aware people are suffering from this and is working on a fix. Also don't seem to have the three Day One cars, but all the VIP ones are there.

The game is phenomenal.

Porsche9146

Neo Member
29d04df73d5576843f0ff770cc9f1a6c.png

bae9999bc5dd3ff0f123e64c94166876.png

Well, that's interesting!

(Also listed: Pre-War Grand Prix, GT Legends, Prototype Legends, 1980s Grand Prix, 1990s Grand Prix, American Stock cars, Racing Trucks)

Something tells me this hints to at least two of the expansions...

Porsche9146

Neo Member
Somewhat disappointingly for me, only "Modern IndyCar" was listed for AOWR. Maybe they'll bundle the Reynard of my dreams in with the 90s F1 cars...

So, people seem to be happy/thrilled with the audio-visual and physics in the game. And I've got to say I'm still tempted by the increase in layers in the livery editor.

BUT
Decimated car and track count, and the whole 'built from the ground up' talk is nothing but PR hot air.
No Public lobbies
No Clubs
No gifting of cars or paints (say goodbye to collabs)
Free Play has been stripped.
No Auction House or Storefront.
Tuning has been dumbed down to an extent ( engine and drive swaps )
No community leaderboards. ( offset somewhat by rivals leaderboards )
No affinity for car parts. ( WTF )
Intrusive monetizing offers which are eight times more expensive than FM4.

Whoever made these decisions about gameplay mechanics, let alone content, has a lot to answer for IMO. They have cut the community off at the knees.

Klocker

A little help. I dl the ful game and now want packs.

Does the season pass include VIP cars?

What other features does vip bring?

And I imagine season pass includes all car packs including LaFerrari?

thx

Have I understood the Reddit writeup? No prizecars at all? Only credits?

There's a good reason for this - so you invest more in the cars you do have because you choose them all.

You receive a lot more credits per race in FM5, and instead of being 10 million, the most expensive cars are 6 million.

So it's much easier to earn money and buy great cars you want rather than being spammed with prize cars.

I agree with the T10 approach on this.

ChrisV

I thought there was supposed to be a demo of this in the Store? Did I just hear wrong. I'm still going back and forth between this, NBA 2k14 and possibly Ryse.

G Rom

There's a good reason for this - so you invest more in the cars you do have because you choose them all.

You receive a lot more credits per race in FM5, and instead of being 10 million, the most expensive cars are 6 million.

So it's much easier to earn money and buy great cars you want rather than being spammed with prize cars.

I agree with the T10 approach on this.

I agree with that as well but I don't agree with the loss of free parts after a certain affinity level. I loved being able to experiment with cars due to that, now I think twice, exactly like in FM3, before upgrading my car because I don't want to waste money.

Am I the only one that's a little grossed out by the cash shop in this game? I mean it's asking me twice on the before race screen to buy power ups. Also whole bunch of Day 1 DLC on the marketplace, seems a little tasteless to me.

Anyone know where to get the Day 1 DLC for people that bought digitally

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
61% on the day one mando system patch. then onto installing forza and downloading its day 1 content. the wait is killing me!

p3tran

Banned
No community leaderboards. ( offset somewhat by rivals leaderboards )
wait. what does that mean?
lets say I want to pickup a golf gti, up it to c class and go hotlapping.
no dice?

hoever made these decisions about gameplay mechanics, let alone content, has a lot to answer for IMO. They have cut the community off at the knees.
it depends to whom he answers...
because, to his bosses, all these sound like great "additions" to enhanche profitability.
to the customers, heh, I will wait until I get my hands on it before I continue....

eso76

Some interesting, if disheartening, thoughts on Forza 5 from reddit:

My first impressions of Forza 5

I agree with a lot of that, game has such strange design choices and it does feel unfinished.
Driving feels great and AI looks spectacular so far.

Tech, well the game looks great, but I'm bummed to see the same optimisation tricks as fm4..

But DAT parallax mapping on prague's cobblestone !

Also, installing and updates were a painless experience, you can start playing after 5 minutes and everything else gets added to the game as its installed/downloaded.

G Rom

Don't know if it's been posted yet :

Brian Ekberg said:
I know some of you have asked about when you will be able to download your in-game screenshots from FM.net and I wanted to give you an update. We are currently in the process of re-launching the new ForzaMotorsport.net and we currently expect the site to be up at around 3 p.m. Pacific. At that time, the new Gallery will be available and you’ll be able to get to your photos. Thanks for your patience!

Brian Ekberg said:
One other thing: Forza Rewards for FM5 will be available once the new site launches later today.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
BUT
No Public lobbies
No Clubs
No gifting of cars or paints (say goodbye to collabs)
Free Play has been stripped.
No Storefront.

What in the actual?

Did they learn nothing from FM3?

What is the point of removing car clubs?

Why can't we gift?

What is the point in removing freeplay?

While known for awhile, how are we meant to share and sell individual stickers and such now?

FFS T10...

Snubbers

Wow, what an epically long day!
I went with my brother to pick up his XB1 (technically my FM5 day one pack), and when the assistant heard I'd given him my pre-order so his son would it on his birthday (end of Nov), she said she'd had 2 cancelled pre-orders and offered me a Fifa Day 1 pack.. The impulse buying thing just came over me, and I walked out with a console, I feel dirty about it, and haven't opened it yet..

Anyway, I've spent all day around my brothers playing FM5 on his XB1, and it has been a pretty decent day.. His son doesn' t live with him, and his excuse was that he needed to check it all worked before next weekend (LOL).

The game is a 1/10 for constant monetisation shit, 6/10 for content, 8.5/10 for the graphics, 9/10 for the actual driving, and 10/10 for the drivatars.. It is just so awesome to have your mates gamertags suddenly appear above the AI and they are driving like the real people, you just have to beat them no matter what..

What do people think is the chance of the price dropping before the end of the year? Even though I'm a bit dissappointed with the usual thin launch line up (every console feels this way), I am thinking of just opening the console on the premise that I had the money set aside, I always planned on getting one in a few months, and this way I can at least play FM5 with a pad whilst wheels and content come along slowly..

Oh, one thing I couldn't figure out was how to buy 'tunes'.. I could see where to get liveries from, but neither of us could see how you accessed online tunes.. I was dying to get something better then the auto-upgraded effort..

Grassy

I was expecting more photomode pics. Come on guys.

I've taken a bunch of photos but there is still no way for us to actually access them yet...it should be sorted in a few hours though.

Some interesting, if disheartening, thoughts on Forza 5 from reddit:

My first impressions of Forza 5

There are some strange design decisions in this game, that's for sure. The sun-glare for one really needs to be toned down a few notches on some tracks as it's ridiculously strong and off-putting how it is. The older car models still seem the same, the R32 GT-R and Subaru 22B still seem out of whack which is unbelievable when Dan said in the Eurogamer interview the reason for lack of cars was that they had to remodel a lot of the older cars as they didn't want to carry old content over, and some of them just weren't good enough. Then you see them in Forza 5 seemingly as they were in previous games...

I really like the Drivatars though, they are way more interesting to race than regular A.I if not a bit easy. The physics engine seems really good too, although I'm finding it really hard with sim steering trying to keep my AWD Audi R8 from sliding sideways...even though it's grip-tuned to A700. Seems a bit strange..

I'd really like to see an update somewhere along the line for alternate time-of-day settings on each track, Bathurst would look a whole lot better in a mid-day setting IMO but that's a minor complaint.

Overall I am really enjoying the game but it does feel like it came out of the oven a bit too early unfortunately.

the fuck??? so we can't continue the forzagaf car club? wow, did not know this.

i'm ready to go once i finish work too :(
10997924115_0f38fb017c.jpg

Major bummer I know. GAF club was one of my favourite things in Forza 4 and was what kept me racing for so long as on every track, in every class, there were really fast times set by our members and it was awesome when you pulled off a fast, clean lap and got near the top of the leaderboards. Something I'll miss for sure.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Sorry I know this has probably been covered before but has anyone noticed the mirrors in the game....I know they are fake but when I play it seems like the reflection that should be on the LHS is displaying on the RHS mirror and vise virsa...really annoying!

Love the game otherwise!

Top Bottom