• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 |OT| Forza turns 10

Noobcraft

Photomode.
Screenshot-Original.png

It's just double Credits on the race credit reward, not even doubled on the credit reward + Assist + Difficulty + mods.

Are you sure it's double on the XP? I level up every 36 thousand points, just like I did in FM5 without VIP. And the spin-rewards aren't doubled neither like they were in FH2.

Edit: wow, beaten... significantly beaten.

MouldyK

Okay, after doing 12 of the 15 Series in the game once, I can honestly say that if it weren't for my Non-FFB Wheel, I would be so bored.

The wheel makes me stay engaged since it's the only game where I have to use all 4 limbs (well...except the times I relax and go one handed down straights or scratch an itch on my braking foot...).

I'll stick around to get to 14,975 Forza Reward Points, but every time I race, I do feel that the extra £55 I shelled out for this Wheel saved me on feeling like this game was a waste of money.

..and the Formula E Cars which handle like a dream with all Assists...now if only there was a 26-Track Championship with using those with a point system...oh geez, i'd love it.

...which reminds me...why has Turn 10 not even allowed us to make our own Points-Based Championship? Mario Kart does it!

Ennosuke

Do we have a gaf club? Or are there no clubs anymore?

"DeWalli" is my gamertag, in case you want another Forza Fan in your friendlist.

frontieruk

Do we have a gaf club? Or are there no clubs anymore?

"DeWalli" is my gamertag, in case you want another Forza Fan in your friendlist.

Quote the OP you'll find a Google docs link with ForzaGAF members, add yourself there and feel free to add members to your list to get GAF rivals and invites to impromptu events ;)

For those as curious as I was how Forza 6 would compare to the other games out there. I did some laps and gathered the laptimes.

I tried to drive smooth and not push it. All cars are in stock configuration, except for Forza 5 and 6, where the tyre compound was upgraded to "Sport".
[PCARS has grippier tyres in general and in Gran Turismo most cars come with "Sports Hard" tyre compound which is very close to Forza's "Sport" tyres (the best before "race tyres")]

Edit: Specs for some of the chosen cars
Cars.png

The X-axis is in seconds:
(Sorry that the bar-colors aren't consistent over all images)

What I get from this is that

- FM6's tyre model with the improved longitudinal flex and new tyre research has more grip than FM5's
- Gran Turismo and PCARS are way stickier on stock tyres than FM, even after FM6 got more grip than its predecessor.
- I didn't post all times I've gathered, but overall it seems that GT6 and PCARS have pretty similar lap times on Brands Hatch, FM6's lap times are significantly slower there (Brands Hatch is a laserscanned track in PCARS btw)
- PCARS and GT don't like FWD cars (edit: only one pic here, I tested the Megane R.S. too, but had to upgrade it in Forza to a 265-model that became a 270 model which made it a little unfair)
- Gran Turismo gives ancient leaf spring suspension too much credit
- all games agree on AWD, except if it's very modern and uses vectoring tech. Only Gran Turismo seems to get this(edit: Maybe PCARS too, there is only the Lancer FQ400 in PCARS where it make a big difference and other 2 games don't have that car), since the Impreza times are still way off in Forza 6. The Impreza Nordschleife improvement from FM5 to FM6 mostly comes, because that is one lap that I really pushed compared to my driving style for the other laps. A real world lap time (edit: on the Nordschleife) for an Impreza WRX Sti Sedan from 2011 with 324hp is 7:55. That's a newer model and a little more horsepower than the one I used here, but GT6's 8:10 seems a lot closer than FM5's 8:33 or FM6's 8:22 that I pushed a lot more than the one from GT.

I really think Forza has this torque vectoring stuff not figured out yet. And Gran Turismo is even confident enough to boast about it with the GT Vision Subaru Viziv, that has the flickering lights for each wheel when vectoring is applied (if you haven't seen it, here: https://youtu.be/vijIxfRiwEc?t=3m30s).

Coming just from this test, Forza 6 feels by far the most advanced, refined and fun from the driving physics, but to be fair, you have to see that the focus in PCARS is on race cars and not the production cars I chose here and also that GT has to make due with what little CPU-GPU-physics power the PS3 has in it and does a remarkable job with that.

^I'm impressed. Given the margin for error I'm surprised you put up such consistent lap times between titles.

in racing, half a second on Spa can make worlds of differences. Given that that's a 3 minute course for some cars that would be a difference of 0.27% that you can't really see in a bar chart.

But thanks. PCARS is the hardest for me. Never really sure if that lap was ok or not.
Edit: really suprised it worked quite nicely with the Peugeot 205 Turbo 16. That car was a horror to drive in GT and even more so in FM6 (don't have it in FM5)... but I really wanted an old fixed 50:50 center differential AWD car in the test.

Mascot

It is. It's one of the textures on the side of the top gear test track. The game has some awesome texture work.

But aren't they just digital photos applied as hi-res textures? Like the drain somebody posted above - isn't that just basically a photo of a drain? I'm honestly not sure what everyone's excited about. Am I missing something? Is it actually original art? Genuine question.

Noobcraft

But aren't they just digital photos applied as hi-res textures? Like the drain somebody posted above - isn't that just basically a photo of a drain? I'm honestly not sure what everyone's excited about. Am I missing something? Is it actually original art? Genuine question.
Pretty much. It still looks good though lol.

dLMN8R

How do you think most textures are created for games?

Always been a cockpit/bonnet-cam driver - not necessarily due to trying to be "elite" or some such nonsense, it's just what I find easier.

Just done a series in chase cam on a whim. Good lord there is a lot of detail and scenery in these tracks I've never seen before. All that work and you don't see any of it from the cockpit. Such amazing work T10 has put into these circuits.

danowat

Banned
For those as curious as I was how Forza 6 would compare to the other games out there. I did some laps and gathered the laptimes.

I tried to drive smooth and not push it. All cars are in stock configuration, except for Forza 5 and 6, where the tyre compound was upgraded to "Sport".
[PCARS has grippier tyres in general and in Gran Turismo most cars come with "Sports Hard" tyre compound which is very close to Forza's "Sport" tyres (the best before "race tyres")]

The X-axis is in seconds:
(Sorry that the bar-colors aren't consistent over all images)

What I get from this is that

- FM6's tyre model with the improved longitudinal flex and new tyre research has more grip than FM5's
- Gran Turismo and PCARS are way stickier on stock tyres than FM, even after FM6 got more grip than its predecessor.
- I didn't post all times I've gathered, but overall it seems that GT6 and PCARS have pretty similar lap times on Brands Hatch, FM6's lap times are significantly slower there (Brands Hatch is a laserscanned track in PCARS btw)
- PCARS and GT don't like FWD cars (edit: only one pic here, I tested the Megane R.S. too, but had to upgrade it in Forza to a 265-model that became a 270 model which made it a little unfair)
- Gran Turismo gives ancient leaf spring suspension too much credit
- all games agree on AWD, except if it's very modern and uses vectoring tech. Only Gran Turismo seems to get this, since the Impreza times are still way off in Forza 6. The Impreza Nordschleife improvement from FM5 to FM6 mostly comes, because that is one lap that I really pushed compared to my driving style for the other laps. A real world lap time (edit: on the Nordschleife) for an Impreza WRX Sti Sedan from 2011 with 324hp is 7:55. That's a newer model and a little more horsepower than the one I used here, but GT6's 8:10 seems a lot closer than FM5's 8:33 or FM6's 8:22 that I pushed a lot more than the one from GT.

I really think Forza has this torque vectoring stuff not figured out yet. And Gran Turismo is even confident enough to boast about it with the GT Vision Subaru Viziv, that has the flickering lights for each wheel when vectoring is applied (if you haven't seen it, here: https://youtu.be/vijIxfRiwEc?t=3m30s).

Coming just from this test, Forza 6 feels by far the most advanced, refined and fun from the driving physics, but to be fair, you have to see that the focus in PCARS is on race cars and not the production cars I chose here and also that GT has to make due with what little CPU-GPU-physics power the PS3 has in it and does a remarkable job with that.

Interesting test, thanks for doing it.

Just noticed this little effect when you pass through fog in the rain.

DeadlyWideeyedArieltoucan.gif

This is what I mentioned the other day. The streaks from the moving droplets are "invisible" until the fog effect causes condensation and reveals them.

To me personally it's actually one of the nicest effects of rain I've seen in any game. It's very lifelike and I don't think anything else tops it with that steam.

zorbsie

That LE Xbox one looks classy as all get out. Can't wait to get home and start downloading. Going to be a late night for me tonight.

frontieruk

Well its been a fun few days, but VE3TRO should be back tomorrow, so we should get the OT we deserve not the crudely thrown together text I created.

Again a big thank you to Zorbs for the header and footer images, and to those who pointed errors and omissions in the post out, its what makes this community special.

It's been a pleasure.

We got plans for racing Friday / Saturday / Sunday?

I don't know, for me this droplets-with-weight and fog-condensation tech is where Forza has a real visual edge over any other game out there. It's as much, if not more mindblowing than when Driveclub had the insanely good looking rain effects first. Bet even the people who look at the XBox One as the 900p-loser-console see it like that.

Interesting test, thanks for doing it.
you're welcome.

shandy706

Holy crap!

I didn't even notice that. Does any other game actually do that?

The fogging and the fact that the streaking is there even when not fogged (but does affect the fogging)...that's darn cool and an impressive detail.

It absolutely shows that the rain isn't just some repeated texture across the board.

Fox Mulder

Bought this before I went to work and was driving home with thoughts of jumping right on. It's only at 16% downloaded for some reason. My internet isn't slow, must have got hung up somehow.

Cries.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Oh yeah, very first spin and I get the Bugatti Veyron. Off to a good start.
I got the Jag. Not bad, plus I'm not into Bugatti.

Bought a bunch of cars and it's still over 4 million, but I figure I'll wipe that out when I get into Ferrari/Aston Martin/Maserati I'm intentionally holding off from until I get a solid amount of everything else I have in mind.

It did already crash once while buying cars. FH2 had that problem pretty often.

DirtyLarry

I got the Jag. Not bad, plus I'm not into Bugatti.

Bought a bunch of cars and it's still over 4 million, but I figure I'll wipe that out when I get into Ferrari/Aston Martin/Maserati I'm intentionally holding off from until I get a solid amount of everything else I have in mind.
Nice. Jag is sweet. I like the Bugatti myself, so I will take it. I might sell it if that value they also list is what I will get for selling it though.

I thought I saw some credits in the Forza Hub that would be given for this game, but all I received was 10,000 credits. I did close the game and check again, same thing.
So I am still very, very low on credits since I only did the 3 Qualifying races, think I have around 50,000 or so. So selling the Bugatti may happen, will see how the credits start rolling in (or not). I am not what I would call good at this game, but I enjoy it a whole lot.

thundr51

OMG, this game is taking F.O.R.E.V.E.R to download. I got my LE today but I don't think I'm going to get to play anything on it until tomorrow...

Sorry, had to vent.

Top Bottom