• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 7. A look at some tracks, Forza Horizon 3 skies, Dynamic weather

Fox Mulder

I don't udnerstand why they would go through all the bother of implementing a dynamic weather system only to do that? It makes no sense to me.

Because it's pretty and easy to show off.

I'm not shocked there's magic tires. Forza has never been about race strategy. Longer career races are optional, so forcing a wet tire pitstop on lap two of a three lap career race would be too much for the horrible drivers that play this game. Some idiots miss the required pit stop when playing online.

spuckthew

Magic tyres would literally kill the immersion for me - to the extent that I'd not want to play with dynamic weather turned on at all.

Hawk269

Hopefully all of the NASCAR benefits are in straight away, which were:

- Rolling Starts.
- Quick Stops (required pitting each race).
- Cosmetic Damage, but Fuel and Tire Wear (this one I really want in!).
- HUD Proximity Arrows (I'm not really bothered, but it's a nice feature).

I really loved this feature when they updated...the only problem was how shitty Turn 10 has treated pit stops. It is just really bad. You can have a 100% damage vehicle that gets fixed the same amount of time as a vehicle which just needs fuel. I don't expect a full on sim with pit stops, but it would be nice as you enter the pits and it does the "auto drive" thing if you can choose which tires to change or if you want fuel only.

Gestault

A much appreciated improvement from the Red Bull interview write-up:

”Crucially for the first time in Forza you can turn on or off assists in the middle of a race," says Brian Ekberg, the community manager for Forza who is guiding us through our demo. ”So if you're racing in Suzuka and it's raining like this then you can hit the pause button and go turn on some assists and get control of the car."

Sounds like it's still binary on/off for those driving features, though. I think it would be interesting for pit options if (as conditions started to change in-race) you could "radio in" your preferred settings while still out on the track, and when you pit, either those are applied, or the recommended tweaks would be applied automatically.

^ Helios?

GHG

That's a good point. It's possible that extremes of weather will be crammed into short 3-odd lap races (dry start, torrential downpour, dry finish) where pitting simply isn't practical.

With the race length tools pit/tire strategy should absolutely have a place.

I see little point in doing a longer race in dynamic conditions if your tires magically switch to the appropriate compound upon the weather changing.

Luckydog

Wait.....the tire change MID RACE if the weather changes? I thought the INITIAL tire setup automaticlly changed if the race started in Wet or Dry. If the weather changes mid race from Wet to dry the tires change themselves?

There will also be fewer features like the PBR ..I saw this on a site but I do not find it any more .. some feature graphic will only be on one X

Considering how integral a part PBR plays in the engine, and the fact that the previous 3 XB1 Forzas have had it, I'm absolutely certain that info is false.

Head.spawn

Does all F1 racing credibility go out the window when the winner of a race sways back and forth, claps his hands, and sprays champagne? Jesus....of all the things to complain about.....

http://www.nbcsports.com/video/sebastian-vettel-celebrates-f1-hungarian-gp-win-champagne-spraying

I hope you know they were all reprimanded for these antics and penalized. All the clapping, hard patting of backs, champagne facials and whooting; it's all unsportsman-like.

Especially the racer kicked back in the lawn-chair, he lost all his fans after that stunt. Shameful.

Luckydog

I hope you know they were all reprimanded for these antics and penalized. All the clapping, hard patting of backs, champagne facials and whooting; it's all unsportsman-like.

Especially the racer kicked back in the lawn-chair, he lost all his fans after that stunt. Shameful.

Beside the point. Stuff like that happens across racing all the time so seeing an avatar in the game do it for a few seconds does NOT destroy all credibility....

Grassy

Wait.....the tire change MID RACE if the weather changes? I thought the INITIAL tire setup automaticlly changed if the race started in Wet or Dry. If the weather changes mid race from Wet to dry the tires change themselves?

It seems this way. I can understand for short 3 lap races in career or whatever, but they really need to make it an option at least for those of us who want it. Shouldn't be too hard to implement.

Mascot

It seems this way. I can understand for short 3 lap races in career or whatever, but they really need to make it an option at least for those of us who want it. Shouldn't be too hard to implement.
Maybe you start on all-weather tyres in short races with changeable weather, negating the need for a tyre change?

GHG

What current games force you to pit if it starts raining?

No racing game forces you to pit, just like drivers aren't forced to pit in races in real life (with the exception of certain Motorsport series where some races will have a mandatory pitstop).

You will want to pit however when the track gets slippery and you are still on slicks struggling to keep the car on track.

SliChillax

Considered a new thread for gameplay. Guess I'll just put this here.

Looks great.

https://ar12gaming.com/articles/forza-7-sonoma

Oh! Around five minutes the driver goes into dash cam. Finally!

Man after playing Driveclub non stop that game really spoiled me with its dash cam. The hand movements are so real and the steering wheel turns like it should. Meanwhile in Forza the driver is barely moving the wheel, there's no sense of urgency in the animation when correcting an over steer etc

Theorry

Love the haze over the circuit.

TenseFaithfulHeron.gif

spuckthew

Man, tyres changing without a pit-stop sucks balls

I literally don't want to play with dynamic weather if this is the case. Honestly, all I crave from a racing game/sim is being able to immerse myself in the pure driving: racing flat out, pushing for the win, and managing tyres and fuel if necessary. I don't want that immersion to be broken when it suddenly starts raining and I have roughly the same level of grip as I did before the rain came.

Seriously?

You'll fly off the track if you don't switch to rain tires in project cars or f1.

No racing game forces you to pit, just like drivers aren't forced to pit in races in real life (with the exception of certain Motorsport series where some races will have a mandatory pitstop).

You will want to pit however when the track gets slippery and you are still on slicks struggling to keep the car on track.

Thanks guys, I've only played the Forzas, The Crew and NFS this gen.

TBiddy

Man, tyres changing without a pit-stop sucks balls.

Hopefully that's a setting you can change for longer races

This. It seems like such an odd thing to leave out. I totally get that forcing a pit-stop in a 3-lap race is idiotic, but when running longer races (10+ laps perhaps?), tire strategy should definitely be in!

Sony

Nintendo
Love the haze over the circuit.

TenseFaithfulHeron.gif

Kind of reminds me of early FM5 Prague footage.

Edit: I have to say, it's a huge missed opportunity to not include pitstops. Hopefully they can patch it in if we let the dev's know about how important we find this feature.

Mascot

This. It seems like such an odd thing to leave out. I totally get that forcing a pit-stop in a 3-lap race is idiotic, but when running longer races (10+ laps perhaps?), tire strategy should definitely be in!

But it's entirely appropriate to Forza Motorsport. I keep having to remind myself that FM isn't aimed at the sim racing crowd looking for an accurate simulation of motorsport. It's an easy trap to fall into because there's great authenticity in the car models, the liveries, the advertising hoardings and the real racing circuits, but by Turn 10's own admission this is all just a skin hiding a game that's aimed at everyone from eight-year-olds to octogenarians, with the necessary concessions to achieve this.

It's a shame because it could be both authentic sim and arcade racer individually if there was clear division in the menus (or even a dedicated spin-off), but instead it's happy to generically straddle the fence and try to be everything to everybody. I think Turn 10 are just comfortable ploughing this particular furrow every couple of years.

Avtomat

Magic tyres would literally kill the immersion for me - to the extent that I'd not want to play with dynamic weather turned on at all.
My understanding is that it is the equivalent to running on intermediates permanently. So the only reason for pitting would be to change for tire wear. Makes the game more accessible but if you are looking for a motorsport simulation :/

In the other hand it feels like something that can patch in if enough people complain so I am not that worried

TBiddy

But it's entirely appropriate to Forza Motorsport. I keep having to remind myself that FM isn't aimed at the sim racing crowd looking for an accurate simulation of motorsport. It's an easy trap to fall into because there's great authenticity in the car models, the liveries, the advertising hoardings and the real racing circuits, but by Turn 10's own admission this is all just a skin hiding a game that's aimed at everyone from eight-year-olds to octogenarians, with the necessary concessions to achieve this..

I don't disagree with this (especially the bolded), but I don't think it's a big deal to put in a pit-stop option. But then again, I don't know. It'd just make sense.

saladine1

Yep, Turn 10 have certainly upped the effects in the audio department. Those sterile,clinical effects of old are gone and in place you have a much better representation of power on and power off forces(flex), cockpit resonance, chassis and suspension creak, overrun effects, gearwhine..etc.
They weren't kidding when they said that they wanted to capture a car at 'peak'.

So Peak is the new buzzword?
SO what have we had over the years:

Lambo poster on the wall
8-80 year olds
IBL
Peak
Orange Peel.......mascot?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I can’t be the only one that finds the reality of rain in racing games a lot less interesting than the idea of it? Drive club is beautiful in the rain, but I hate wet races because of the lack of visibility. And I think in a previous Forza when they had 'dynamic' weather it meant a puddle would appear on the same spot on a particular track/lap. It was be pried LG interesting to drive through and feel the car pulling to the side, but after that you just treated it like an obstacle to avoid.

Mascot

Yep, Turn 10 have certainly upped the effects in the audio department. Those sterile,clinical effects of old are gone and in place you have a much better representation of power on and power off forces(flex), cockpit resonance, chassis and suspension creak, overrun effects, gearwhine..etc.
They weren't kidding when they said that they wanted to capture a car at 'peak'.

So Peak is the new buzzword?
SO what have we had over the years:

Lambo poster on the wall
8-80 year olds
IBL
Peak
Orange Peel.......mascot?

Car lovers into gamers, gamers into car lovers
Curation

...and the old classic:

cxNoX0c.jpg

I can’t be the only one that finds the reality of rain in racing games a lot less interesting than the idea of it? Drive club is beautiful in the rain, but I hate wet races because of the lack of visibility. And I think in a previous Forza when they had 'dynamic' weather it meant a puddle would appear on the same spot on a particular track/lap. It was be pried LG interesting to drive through and feel the car pulling to the side, but after that you just treated it like an obstacle to avoid.

In DiRT 4 its very immersive and I enjoy the added difficulty of not baing able to see as well.

Mascot

I can’t be the only one that finds the reality of rain in racing games a lot less interesting than the idea of it? Drive club is beautiful in the rain, but I hate wet races because of the lack of visibility.

Racing in the rain is fucking jaw-dropping in VR, especially in an open-topped car. The most intense and immersive experience of my gaming life was in an Ariel Atom event during a thunderstorm in pCARS 2. It was absolutely incredible and completely exhausting.

shandy706

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Pits look nice pre-race as always. They've put a lot of work into the "challenges/career" menus it looks like.

at 3.22.. The way the clouds appear is quite strange ... like a dissolve in video..

The clouds are real videos of skies. They've recorded hundreds of skies that they somehow blend together as weather/day/night changes. It's how they get those ridiculously beautiful/real looking skies/moments. It's literally real..haha.

emjot

Also that's a 2 lap race with dynamic weather, so I guess at some point it gotta look kinda fast forward when it changes from blue sky to overcast.

Top Bottom