• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport Vs. Gran Turismo. Better Sim Franchise? -poll-

Better Sim Franchise?

• Total voters
Forza Motorsport and GT are the biggest SIM racing franchises in terms of sales and popularity and have been going at it since Forza's introduction on the original Xbox in 2005. With the recent release of GT Sport and Forza 7 both these franchises have been slowing down in recent years. However they are still big dogs in the sim race.

But of these two franchises which one is better overall? This has been a controversial topic since Forza 3 and GT5P and I'm interested in seeing where Neogafs preference lies and whether it's changed or not over the years.

902636_orig.png

(Forza Best selling game: Forza Motorsport 3)

Forza Motorsport Series (NA order):

1. Forza Motorsport (XB)
  2. Forza Motorsport 2 (360)
  3. Forza Motorsport 3 (360)
  4. Forza Motorsport 4 (360)
  5. Forza Motorsport 5 (One)
  6. Forza Motorsport 6 (One)
  7. Forza Motorsport 7 (One)

0.jpg

(Gran Turismo Best selling game: Gran Turismo 3: A-spec)

Gran Turismo Series(NA order):

1. Gran Turismo (PSX)
  2. Gran Turismo 2 (PSX)
  3. Gran Turismo 3 A-spec (PS2)
  4. Gran Turismo 4 prologue (PS2)
  5. Gran Turismo 4 (PS2)
  6. Gran Turismo 5 prologue (PS3)
  7. Gran Turismo 5 (PS3)
  8. Gran Turismo 6 (PS3)
  9. Gran Turismo Sport (PS4)
  10. Gran Turismo (PSP)

Last edited:
Neither of these games are "sim" outside of marketing.

I personally prefer Forza over GT now, although I used to LOVE GT. GT has completely lost its way IMO, and I also don't want to wait nearly 5 years for each one and then still get an incomplete or scaled down (but pretty) game . GT has simply become frustrating for me.

Stuart360

Please do not try to call out users, or create drama. If the user wishes to participate, they can and will engage with the discussion. If they choose not to engage in the discussion you can add the post as an example of a posters bias in future.
Oh god, there will be hell to play when TheLastWord sees this thread.
For me i say Forza, especially now we have Horizon to go alongside the main game series.
In the PS2 era, it would of been Gran Turismo for sure. Forza simply is better now and releases more games.

WaterAstro

Forza is so arcadey, they pretty much dropped the pretense and made Forza Horizon. I bet they'll just drop mainline Forza altogether lol.

GT is the real sim.

mmorg

Neo Member
sim-like winner GTS
overall better game seems like Forza

but i only own the ps4 so maybe i like it cuz i dont have it yet.

All driving games are sims, because they simulate driving. None even come close to what it's like to drive a real car.
In other words, they're just games.

Well with the possible exception of Grand prix legends anyway. That game requires you to know how to drive a real F1 car almost to even finish one track.

Fbh

I'm not that much into racing games and haven't played either of these franchises extensively.
But one thing that always catches my attention is how freaking long Polyphony takes to make their games and yet they don't seem particularly better or more polished or more content packed than Forza which comes out every other year (not including Horizon) .

I'm not that much into racing games and haven't played either of these franchises extensively.
But one thing that always catches my attention is how freaking long Polyphony takes to make their games and yet they don't seem particularly better or more polished or more content packed than Forza which comes out every other year (not including Horizon) .

That was something that was a big controversy between the release of GT5P and GT5. As when proper GT5 came out people were expecting it to blow Forza 4 out of the water, but people were even arguing Forza 3 was better before Forza 4 even came out. (Forza 4 came out the year after proper GT5.)

Inviusx

Neither are sims really but GTS has become more legitmate recently with FIA sanctioned races.

Preference really comes down to what console you've stuck with for the last 20 years.

ROMhack

No contest. They haven't released a proper GT since 6 and Sport was basically an online game with a crappy single player mode attached.

Edit: Oh, in terms of sim? Probably GT then.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Frankly I can't tell the driving apart. Forza sucks online and the offline AI is dumb as ass, so I prefer to spend time in GTS.

Vtecomega

Banned
As someone who races cars in real life, Forza 7 feels a lot closer to how a car really behaviors. Forza also simulates turbo boost pressure and accurate torque curve on each car.

The tire model in GT is still absolutely rubbish. Cars still have no real torque curve and driving feels sterile. I have no sense of when the car is losing grip and everything feels way too planted. The accelerator is basically an on and off switch in gt sport.

Ill quote what I said in the other thread -Forza 7 surprisingly destroys GT sport in terms of physics, tire model and car behavior. Its so far ahead in terms of physics that I am absolutely flabbergasted that it hasn't gained more attention. The general consensus is that GT sport has better physics but in reality its the furthest thing from the truth.

I race a Honda type R FK8 and I am amazed at how Forza 7 feels similar to its real life counterpart. In the way it grips, corner entry and lack of torque steer is remarkably close.

I have also owned an Evo x. The S - AWC system and the way the car rotates is accurately simulated in Forza 7.

My weekend car is a evo 8 with 687hp running on E85 and I am impressed how accurate the car is in Forza 7. It comes on boost hard like it should whilst having a ton of torque down low in the rpm range and handles like a go kart.

It has been over a decade and GT has not evolved in the slightest. Sad.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

For me i say Forza, especially now we have Horizon to go alongside the main game series.
In the PS2 era, it would of been Gran Turismo for sure. Forza simply is better now and releases more games.

It is an amazing one-two punch. Sony racing doesn’t compare since they put a bullet in Evolution.

YayNJ

Banned
Better sim: GT
Better game: Forza
The man knows!

Just not true. Forza is far far more realistic. Which is odd, because most of the salt thrown at it is that compared to GT it's "arcade" - yet ask any professional driver which is more realistic, and be amazed. In some quarters, GT just gets a gold pass no questions asked just because it's Japanese, which is f'in stupid.

Car sound is another stick Forza gets bashed with, and again, pure salt. All the cars in Forza are recorded with multiple microphones. What you hear in game is literally the real car.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
GT, hands down.

Forza is a fantastic series (if you ignore the mainline entries on Xbox One), but it is nowhere near as good of a "sim" as GT is.

Ascend

GT only has one thing left going for it. Mind share. Forza is superior in every way, other than the brand name.

V4skunk

Banned
All driving games are sims, because they simulate driving. None even come close to what it's like to drive a real car.
In other words, they're just games.
I Racing is used by professional race drivers. What you say is not true for all racing sims.

DiscoJer

I remember there was a PS2 driving game from Konami. They showed a real car driving, going through a course, then showed a car in the game, that duplicated it almost exactly. I don't remember what the name of that was.

But the problem with Gran Turismo is that it hardly exists anymore. The last real one was ages ago.

Foxbat

Banned
I have to disagree with that. Forza Motorsport online racing is legit trash and Turn 10 don't care.

I'd have to disagree with you there. While GT Sport has a good thing going as far as it's online penalty system. I wouldn't call Forza Motorsport online trash. The drifting lobbies alone exclude it from being that. Drag, tag, along with the other games modes online make it unique. There's no other game where you can do all that. At least on consoles.

Fox Mulder

A sim of what though?

Forza is beautiful and has a ton of cars and tracks. I actually kind of like the handling better.

Gran Turismo Sport has flags, qualifying, fuel and tire pitting strategies like real motorsports though. That stuff really adds sim depth and I've wanted it in Forza Motorsports forever.

Last edited:

wipeout364

I play with a controller so it’s never sim like to me but Forza feels closer to reality when I drive cars in game that i have driven before. That’s not a lot and I can’t speak to any expensive or exotic cars. But the cornering and acceleration feels better.

I don’t understand the problem with polyphony they have so much time to make their games but they it feels like they always deliver incomplete projects or need a second game to actually deliver what they planned. Turn 10 delivers a compete game every two years with well thought out and executed additions. ( except the micro transactions in 5 they sucked pretty hard)

Inviusx

I play with a controller so it’s never sim like to me but Forza feels closer to reality when I drive cars in game that i have driven before. That’s not a lot and I can’t speak to any expensive or exotic cars. But the cornering and acceleration feels better.

I don’t understand the problem with polyphony they have so much time to make their games but they it feels like they always deliver incomplete projects or need a second game to actually deliver what they planned. Turn 10 delivers a compete game every two years with well thought out and executed additions. ( except the micro transactions in 5 they sucked pretty hard)

Being held to a 2 year deadline by Microsoft for every game sounds like a bit of a nightmare. I bet working at Polyphony Digital is chill as fuck. Not disagreeing with you though.

A sim of what though?

Forza is beautiful and has a ton of cars and tracks. I actually kind of like the handling better.

Gran Turismo Sport has flags, qualifying, fuel and tire pitting strategies like real motorsports though. That stuff really adds sim depth and I've wanted it in Forza Motorsports forever.

Barely, though. You're not going to GT because these are the things you want.

IISANDERII

GT for sure. I keep hearing that GT is much better using a racing wheel and that the top Forza players use a controller.

But the thing that sets GT clear for me is the FIA mode, it's not perfect but it's often an incredibly satisfying and enjoyable experience.

But make no mistake, I'm not a GT loyalist so when Forza gets the wheel right and makes something like the FIA mode, I'm buying an Xbow!

Justin9mm

As someone who races cars in real life, Forza 7 feels a lot closer to how a car really behaviors. Forza also simulates turbo boost pressure and accurate torque curve on each car.

The tire model in GT is still absolutely rubbish. Cars still have no real torque curve and driving feels sterile. I have no sense of when the car is losing grip and everything feels way too planted. The accelerator is basically an on and off switch in gt sport.

Ill quote what I said in the other thread -Forza 7 surprisingly destroys GT sport in terms of physics, tire model and car behavior. Its so far ahead in terms of physics that I am absolutely flabbergasted that it hasn't gained more attention. The general consensus is that GT sport has better physics but in reality its the furthest thing from the truth.

I race a Honda type R FK8 and I am amazed at how Forza 7 feels similar to its real life counterpart. In the way it grips, corner entry and lack of torque steer is remarkably close.

I have also owned an Evo x. The S - AWC system and the way the car rotates is accurately simulated in Forza 7.

My weekend car is a evo 8 with 687hp running on E85 and I am impressed how accurate the car is in Forza 7. It comes on boost hard like it should whilst having a ton of torque down low in the rpm range and handles like a go kart.

It has been over a decade and GT has not evolved in the slightest. Sad.
Well there you go, this man has ended the argument!

Coming from a previous Sony fan boy and non racer, my personal opinion is that Forza physics felt way better, did not know why but they just did. You have explained it for me lol

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Forza is far superior to GT and I say that as someone who religiously played GT since 1997 on PS1.

GT Sport isn't a bad game but I have hardly touched it since playing Forza on PC. It just feels so much better.

Zannrebel

Just not true. Forza is far far more realistic. Which is odd, because most of the salt thrown at it is that compared to GT it's "arcade" - yet ask any professional driver which is more realistic, and be amazed. In some quarters, GT just gets a gold pass no questions asked just because it's Japanese, which is f'in stupid.

Car sound is another stick Forza gets bashed with, and again, pure salt. All the cars in Forza are recorded with multiple microphones. What you hear in game is literally the real car.
This hasn't been true since forza 4.

El_Belmondo

I'm staying with Grid and Dirt

Gran Turismo hasn't been really simulation for years, and regular Forza is meh with Forza Horizon being the superior choice.

Grid started as an arcade but Autosport is a pretty fun Simcade with sadly some DLC shenanigans. Dirt is fucking great, only Dirt Rally already trumps any Forza or Gran Turismo ever released.

Last edited:
I remember there was a PS2 driving game from Konami. They showed a real car driving, going through a course, then showed a car in the game, that duplicated it almost exactly. I don't remember what the name of that was.

But the problem with Gran Turismo is that it hardly exists anymore. The last real one was ages ago.
The game you’re thinking of is Enthusia. Pretty great game for the time.

Being held to a 2 year deadline by Microsoft for every game sounds like a bit of a nightmare. I bet working at Polyphony Digital is chill as fuck. Not disagreeing with you though.

I doubt there's any issue since Forza's been a two year series since the first game and other racing game spit out sequels faster than GT. Not to mention Sony seems to always be pressuring PP and has made sure they only work on GT since Omega Boost flopped.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Both for me but what i like about Forza is the variety of cars, wish Gts had that. Also like Project cars 2, haven't tried Assetto Corsa yet but i'm going to try that on PS Now.

This hasn't been true since forza 4.

If you're referring to recording car sounds, they still record the cars.

They even recorded the tractor that appears in FH4 off a real machine.

Of the two semi-sims offered I ultimately would cast for GTS despite only playing it for a short time on a friend's PS4. While I prefer FM7 overall, FM& is still missing a lot of the things that should be included in a sim, like pits, pit strategy, and a flag system. The process of sticky grass was replaced with tire walls that stretch all the way to the very edge of the rack and in busy races they are the cause of a lot of pileups. As far as the cars themselves I'd have voted for FM7 over GTS but haven't had enough time with it to call it. If PD were allowed to make a PC version that would be swell.

The question I have though, is why isn't PCar2 in this poll? It does all the sim stuff GTS does better but it also has weather, TOD, and fully modeled damage.

Last edited:
What makes Forza online trash?
Probably how bad everyone drives. Have fun at literally every corner, where someone will always not break or break way to late and slam you out of the race. Clean races are borderline non existent in Forza Motorsport. GTS has garbage players too, yes, but at least you can improve you DR and SR and remove yourself from that scum.
My answer for the topic-
These games are so damn close in terms of being a sim it's just dumb. What are you a fan of more, GT or Forza, there's your answer. I like GT, I'm a blind fan I guess, Forza Motorsport got dat content tho!

Last edited:
Top Bottom