• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport Vs. Gran Turismo. Better Sim Franchise? -poll-

Better Sim Franchise?

• Total voters
Has anyone here saying Forza is better actually played Gran Turismo Sport and tried the Sport mode and the FIA championships? There's nothing better than GTS online and the offline is not bad either after a year o free content.

petrus91

If Forza and GT are sims, then AC, PC, iRacing, RB Rally are more real than reality.
Truth is both games are there to gather the widest demographic they can, they are sim-cades.
I love both series.

MDSLKTR

GT menu sounds alone makes me shudder in disgust.
How.
Forza and horizon are total douche fests galore in the music and art departments. The drivers even pose like the awful awful rare avatars:
Porsche-Gear-Header.jpg

While GT Sport has the best damm UI in any software ever made... it's the perfect screensaver... An hommage to the art cars and landscapes... With coffee piano music...
Again, how.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
How.
Forza and horizon are total douche fests galore in the music and art departments. The drivers even pose like the awful awful rare avatars:
Porsche-Gear-Header.jpg

While GT Sport has the best damm UI in any software ever made... it's the perfect screensaver... An hommage to the art cars and landscapes... With coffee piano music...
Again, how.

Damn, never thought to use GTSPort as a screensaver - may have to start doing that!

Wish my TV had a dedicated screensaver option, but it is a rather older SonyBravia :( Maybe when I upgrade to 4k in the next three years.

Grab Turismo 100%

Biggest reason? I don’t give a shit about Euro cars for the most part and Forza has a bias towards European cars.

GT Sport isn’t quite what I was looking for in a GT game but it’s still a great game. I still actually play GT6 quite a bit.

I want my Stagea 260RS, my JZX100, Cappuchino, Beat, EK Type R, Sileighty, and my 20 GTRs.

I really don’t care for the Forza mainline series, Horizon is great but it’s hard to keep my interest with the car selection.

Forza is so arcadey, they pretty much dropped the pretense and made Forza Horizon. I bet they'll just drop mainline Forza altogether lol.

GT is the real sim.

Your viewpoint is a real surpise to me, it really is.

He surprises no one and that is why WaterAstro is also going on my ignore list.

GT is the better sim, Forza is the more fun game.

Better sim: GT
Better game: Forza

Agreed.

IISANDERII

I do like how Forza has lots of elements simulated like adjustable tire pressures even, it's just why do the cars look like they're rotating on a central pivot?

Raitoningu

Banned
Forza is a party game, a childish one, just look to its online matchs.

So GT wins by default, maybe compare it to real sims on PC.

In it's prime, Gran Turismo was godlike (GT4 is still the high point of the entire genre), but if we talk about right now Forza shits on GT.

DS_Joost

As someone who races cars in real life, Forza 7 feels a lot closer to how a car really behaviors. Forza also simulates turbo boost pressure and accurate torque curve on each car.

The tire model in GT is still absolutely rubbish. Cars still have no real torque curve and driving feels sterile. I have no sense of when the car is losing grip and everything feels way too planted. The accelerator is basically an on and off switch in gt sport.

Ill quote what I said in the other thread -Forza 7 surprisingly destroys GT sport in terms of physics, tire model and car behavior. Its so far ahead in terms of physics that I am absolutely flabbergasted that it hasn't gained more attention. The general consensus is that GT sport has better physics but in reality its the furthest thing from the truth.

I race a Honda type R FK8 and I am amazed at how Forza 7 feels similar to its real life counterpart. In the way it grips, corner entry and lack of torque steer is remarkably close.

I have also owned an Evo x. The S - AWC system and the way the car rotates is accurately simulated in Forza 7.

My weekend car is a evo 8 with 687hp running on E85 and I am impressed how accurate the car is in Forza 7. It comes on boost hard like it should whilst having a ton of torque down low in the rpm range and handles like a go kart.

It has been over a decade and GT has not evolved in the slightest. Sad.

I didn't know Dan Greenawalt had a Neogaf account???

ethomaz

Banned
GTS is probably the best and more polished sim racing game across both franchises... so actually GT franchise envolved the genre better than Forza.

Ecto311

Forza just because it looks amazing on my ultrawide pc and runs native in windows. It's the only driving game since pgr that I get excited for. Horizon is the best of arcade and realism for me.

thelastword

Banned
I remember there was a PS2 driving game from Konami. They showed a real car driving, going through a course, then showed a car in the game, that duplicated it almost exactly. I don't remember what the name of that was.

But the problem with Gran Turismo is that it hardly exists anymore. The last real one was ages ago.

You're talking Enthusia, it was a good game, but not on the level of GT3/4.....I wish Konami had tried again, though the physics was a bit exxagerated and I always told folk, making your car a chore to drive does not denote great physics....or that the game is realistic. There should be a balance...........So yes, Enthusia was cool and something I would have loved to see more of.....Unlike Driving Emotion Type S from Square, go play that and weep whydontyou....;)

Funny enough, we did not get a numbered GT this gen, PD changed it up and tried to evolve the series, to great success, because GTS online is the best sim-racer there is and they have already outlined improvements to the next season of FIA with a huge December Patch....So a GT7 with a full campaign+sport is a no brainer for people who swear on Meta......

As for the question posed, GT is indeed the better sim and I don't think Forza is even close....We're talking about physics, driving model, sound (where they just got another award for that category) and of course the best graphics which immerses you into the feeling that you're really racing on a circuit....Of course replays, the fact that GT is heavy on motorsport, pulls it miles ahead as a sim racer......Production values and ATD, like pit crews etc...all add to the better sim package you get with GT.....

I dare anyone to try viewing a GTS race with commentary and it's smooth driving model and compare that to the destruction derby affair you have in Forza 7, the jittery nature of the cars, the drab looking replays etc........Forza is not even in the same ballpark. So for what GTS was going for, they nailed it. Go watch the last couple of races in the last FIA championship or any normal high skilled race in GTS on any normal day......Hell, just go look at some of SuperGT's videos of GTS, then watch his videos of Forza 7, that should be enough....

I'm not even sure Forza should be named a sim atm, Driveclub is much deeper with it's driving physics and that's only half sim....In forza you even have a "the car will drive itself mode" and you call that game a sim? Made a mistake or crashed your car.....? No problem, how about "rewind", because that's the sim thing to do? Where are all the Super GT Cars, where are the Toyotas, No, we'll copy paste a million trucks from other versions of Forza (even from Horizon) or a multitude of archaic looking oldsmobiles that even your grandfather couldn't bother with in 2018.......Where are the pit crews and proper simulation of that, a core aspect of sim-racing???? I shouldn't tell you, I could go on and on.......So I will answer the question posed by the OP.....

Forza has taken a more casual approach, than that series has ever been....Forza 4 was the best Forza imo, it had good ATD and a very good look...Generally though, everything Greenwalt et al has done with the series past OG XBOX days was to make it as casually appealing as possible, so it makes sense that recent Forza's rate higher than GT, Forza has been more approachable to even non-sim players and many journalists are not gear heads....Go look at an old gamespot p/review of DC, some of these guys didn't even know some of the basic options in DC, and another was not even familiar with the console on which the game was being played. Some of these guys could not even get a star in a race, far less the three......So no, recent GT's has not been as approachable by many, why? because they are leaning closer to sim than Forza could ever hope for.......There's no rewind, "drive me" mode in GT for good reason.....

In truth, it's very easy actually, try getting the platinum in GT5/6/S or even DC and try doing the same in Forza, it's not close....There's a level of skill and difficulty that the more sim oriented games require that makes the prior tasks more difficult......

LostDonkey

You're talking Enthusia, it was a good game, but not on the level of GT3/4.....I wish Konami had tried again, though the physics was a bit exxagerated and I always told folk, making your car a chore to drive does not denote great physics....or that the game is realistic. There should be a balance...........So yes, Enthusia was cool and something I would have loved to see more of.....Unlike Driving Emotion Type S from Square, go play that and weep whydontyou....;)

Funny enough, we did not get a numbered GT this gen, PD changed it up and tried to evolve the series, to great success, because GTS online is the best sim-racer there is and they have already outlined improvements to the next season of FIA with a huge December Patch....So a GT7 with a full campaign+sport is a no brainer for people who swear on Meta......

As for the question posed, GT is indeed the better sim and I don't think Forza is even close....We're talking about physics, driving model, sound (where they just got another award for that category) and of course the best graphics which immerses you into the feeling that you're really racing on a circuit....Of course replays, the fact that GT is heavy on motorsport, pulls it miles ahead as a sim racer......Production values and ATD, like pit crews etc...all add to the better sim package you get with GT.....

I dare anyone to try viewing a GTS race with commentary and it's smooth driving model and compare that to the destruction derby affair you have in Forza 7, the jittery nature of the cars, the drab looking replays etc........Forza is not even in the same ballpark. So for what GTS was going for, they nailed it. Go watch the last couple of races in the last FIA championship or any normal high skilled race in GTS on any normal day......Hell, just go look at some of SuperGT's videos of GTS, then watch his videos of Forza 7, that should be enough....

I'm not even sure Forza should be named a sim atm, Driveclub is much deeper with it's driving physics and that's only half sim....In forza you even have a "the car will drive itself mode" and you call that game a sim? Made a mistake or crashed your car.....? No problem, how about "rewind", because that's the sim thing to do? Where are all the Super GT Cars, where are the Toyotas, No, we'll copy paste a million trucks from other versions of Forza (even from Horizon) or a multitude of archaic looking oldsmobiles that even your grandfather couldn't bother with in 2018.......Where are the pit crews and proper simulation of that, a core aspect of sim-racing???? I shouldn't tell you, I could go on and on.......So I will answer the question posed by the OP.....

Forza has taken a more casual approach, than that series has ever been....Forza 4 was the best Forza imo, it had good ATD and a very good look...Generally though, everything Greenwalt et al has done with the series past OG XBOX days was to make it as casually appealing as possible, so it makes sense that recent Forza's rate higher than GT, Forza has been more approachable to even non-sim players and many journalists are not gear heads....Go look at an old gamespot p/review of DC, some of these guys didn't even know some of the basic options in DC, and another was not even familiar with the console on which the game was being played. Some of these guys could not even get a star in a race, far less the three......So no, recent GT's has not been as approachable by many, why? because they are leaning closer to sim than Forza could ever hope for.......There's no rewind, "drive me" mode in GT for good reason.....

In truth, it's very easy actually, try getting the platinum in GT5/6/S or even DC and try doing the same in Forza, it's not close....There's a level of skill and difficulty that the more sim oriented games require that makes the prior tasks more difficult......

It must really irk you that the vote is almost 2:1 in favour of forza then.... 😂

All jokes aside that was actually a well thought out and presented post TLW. And you didnt use Et al once!!

See, you CAN do it.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
As someone who races cars in real life, Forza 7 feels a lot closer to how a car really behaviors. Forza also simulates turbo boost pressure and accurate torque curve on each car.

The tire model in GT is still absolutely rubbish. Cars still have no real torque curve and driving feels sterile. I have no sense of when the car is losing grip and everything feels way too planted. The accelerator is basically an on and off switch in gt sport.

Ill quote what I said in the other thread -Forza 7 surprisingly destroys GT sport in terms of physics, tire model and car behavior. Its so far ahead in terms of physics that I am absolutely flabbergasted that it hasn't gained more attention. The general consensus is that GT sport has better physics but in reality its the furthest thing from the truth.

I race a Honda type R FK8 and I am amazed at how Forza 7 feels similar to its real life counterpart. In the way it grips, corner entry and lack of torque steer is remarkably close.

I have also owned an Evo x. The S - AWC system and the way the car rotates is accurately simulated in Forza 7.

My weekend car is a evo 8 with 687hp running on E85 and I am impressed how accurate the car is in Forza 7. It comes on boost hard like it should whilst having a ton of torque down low in the rpm range and handles like a go kart.

It has been over a decade and GT has not evolved in the slightest. Sad.

[/thread]

I picked Forza 7 but my opinion doesn't even matter after reading this. I'll just sit in my corner and suck my thumb thank you.

Last edited:

I see, so by them adding options like rewind it makes it a lesser game? GT also has aides built in too like driving and braking lines if you want, does that mean it can no longer qualify as a sim? You can't use rewind in Forza when racing online so what's the big deal? Forza can also remove aides and make it very difficult to control, much like real driving. Then you go on about how it can appeal to more mainstream so that's why it rates higher. My God you just look for any excuse to downplay anything in your anti-Xbox world and PlayStation is the best at everything grade school tactics.

Another one on my ignore list, should have done this long ago. Nobody tries this hard unless they are just wanting to get attention.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member

Jesus fuck dude. More words do not equal better words. Give me the cliffnotes version please.

why? you people never give a reason

Past GT games have been very sterile and lifeless. Forza games were just more enjoyable as a game with a better balance of fun and control. So one way to curb that and remove the robotic A.I. was to make GT Sport. That is why now I think GT Sport is the better online game (since that is now it's main focus) but still prefer Forza all around as it offers both online and offline. Polyphony has done a great job making competitive racing online feel more immersive and tense and the way it is all structured is very professional.

lynux3

why? you people never give a reason
There is none. It's just the general thought on gaming forums. The reality is that Gran Turismo is better in a lot of ways that Forza isn't and vice versa. Gran Turismo Sport has moved genre forward, IMO. This is why:

Such an exciting series. If you anyone hasn't watched it you definitely should.

Probably how bad everyone drives. Have fun at literally every corner, where someone will always not break or break way to late and slam you out of the race.

I've rarely seen this mentioned. Maybe you just got bad luck with matches. In fact I heard about that more with dirt than anything.

bilderberg

Past GT games have been very sterile and lifeless. Forza games were just more enjoyable as a game with a better balance of fun and control. So one way to curb that and remove the robotic A.I. was to make GT Sport. That is why now I think GT Sport is the better online game (since that is now it's main focus) but still prefer Forza all around as it offers both online and offline. Polyphony has done a great job making competitive racing online feel more immersive and tense and the way it is all structured is very professional.

So basically, Forza is that hot chick that puts on a lot of makeup; while GT is that cute girl who doesn't wear any makeup? But, if that hot girl(Forza) decided to not wear makeup she'd still be hotter than that cute girl(GT)? Am I getting this right?

Not sure why a game's presentation has any bearing on assessing how the cars feel to control in relation to whether one is more "sim" than the other. Sounds like people are just fooled into believing GT is more sim because it presents its self that way.

Raven117

Gold Member
GT for me. And no, it’s not iracing, but it does teach you fundamentals on how to race and drive at speed.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Haven't missed a Gran Turismo since I pre-ordered the first one at age 13.

However, I've only played one Forza back on the 360.

So I'm not in a position to vote.

Foxbat

Banned
Probably how bad everyone drives. Have fun at literally every corner, where someone will always not break or break way to late and slam you out of the race. Clean races are borderline non existent in Forza Motorsport. GTS has garbage players too, yes, but at least you can improve you DR and SR and remove yourself from that scum.
My answer for the topic-
These games are so damn close in terms of being a sim it's just dumb. What are you a fan of more, GT or Forza, there's your answer. I like GT, I'm a blind fan I guess, Forza Motorsport got dat content tho!

Forza 7 is going to implement a system not unlike the one in GTS for online players over the next couple of months. It's a good feature that GT should get credit for.

I agree also that these games are far more similar than they are different. The main difference for me is the content. Tracks, cars, weather, drifting, drag, customization, etc... Forza goes way beyond GTS in that regard.

Grab Turismo 100%

Biggest reason? I don’t give a shit about Euro cars for the most part and Forza has a bias towards European cars.

GT Sport isn’t quite what I was looking for in a GT game but it’s still a great game. I still actually play GT6 quite a bit.

I want my Stagea 260RS, my JZX100, Cappuchino, Beat, EK Type R, Sileighty, and my 20 GTRs.

I really don’t care for the Forza mainline series, Horizon is great but it’s hard to keep my interest with the car selection.
I think that you hold that opinion because you're used to GT's car selection: 30 skylines, 30 miatas, 30 civics, yet only 10 ferraris. Like around 60% of the GT6 car roster was Japanese if I recall correctly.

Forza is actually very balanced in terms of car selection, and takes from all three major regions appropriately.

Though I admit, driving everyday japanese hatchbacks is part of the GT charm.

Mattyp

Gold Member
I got you fam.
Cliffnotes version,

Because GTS has better replays, it's a better game.

This thread actually gets more amusing when you have people like I can only assume TLW blocked :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It’s also funny I can only assume that the people in this thread who comment GT is a better sim probably have never raced a car in their life or competed in any powerskid event. Turn the aids off if you want a better sim experience. Yes Forza makes the game more user friendly from the box.

Last edited:

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
I used to be a big fan of GT. Hell, I have GT2 and 3 in my collection. I'll say Forza to be objective but I'll still prefer GT over it tho.

I'd like a GT Horizon-like game. C'mon Sony and PD, let us have more fun.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
GT Sport feels watered down and Forza feels too arcady, both have great soundtracks and I think VR could potentially put GT over the top.

Lightsbane

I'm not a fan of racing games, but I did enjoy the original Gran Turismo quite a lot.

That said, I don't think either of those games are sims. Not even remotely close.

Lort

Banned
Most people who know anything about cars or even sim racing give Forza the nod for better physics.

Look it up.

JimiNutz

Banned
GT is the Daddy and deserves respect but Forza is more polished, more fun to play and far more consistent. Forza def wins this in my opinion.

Three

How.
Porsche-Gear-Header.jpg

Again, how.
I love the backgrounds and overall style GT sport menus have but the menus are not intuitive from a user perspective. For example i have to open every campaign event to see which ones I have completed. Knowning which cars qualify fir a race is also cumbersome.

Zannrebel

If you're referring to recording car sounds, they still record the cars.

They even recorded the tractor that appears in FH4 off a real machine.

Of the two semi-sims offered I ultimately would cast for GTS despite only playing it for a short time on a friend's PS4. While I prefer FM7 overall, FM& is still missing a lot of the things that should be included in a sim, like pits, pit strategy, and a flag system. The process of sticky grass was replaced with tire walls that stretch all the way to the very edge of the rack and in busy races they are the cause of a lot of pileups. As far as the cars themselves I'd have voted for FM7 over GTS but haven't had enough time with it to call it. If PD were allowed to make a PC version that would be swell.

The question I have though, is why isn't PCar2 in this poll? It does all the sim stuff GTS does better but it also has weather, TOD, and fully modeled damage.

I was referring to the fact he said forza records all car sounds, that was the case during 360 forza games but not now. Even in the video you linked they guy says they record as many as they can not all. Anyway my vote would go to GTS as it has a proper pit system, flag system and penlties. Content amount doesn't make a simulator.

Zannrebel

This thread actually gets more amusing when you have people like I can only assume TLW blocked :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It’s also funny I can only assume that the people in this thread who comment GT is a better sim probably have never raced a car in their life or competed in any powerskid event. Turn the aids off if you want a better sim experience. Yes Forza makes the game more user friendly from the box.
I can only assume you've played neither Forza 7 or GTS with a proper wheel with good FFB based off this comment.

Akuza89

Clearly it's Forza and this isn't even an Xbox versus PlayStation debate.

Forza is just the better game full stop.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Another one on my ignore list, should have done this long ago.

Also, why are people not addressing the question posed.....It's ok if you feel Forza is a better package, because it has more content etc.....SP content was what GTS was knocked for anyway, not it's sim quality.....The question posed was which franchise has the better sim? It's not which game has the better Meta score, the truth is, GTS has gone leaps and bounds with extra tracks, cars and SP content since launch, even improvements to physics etc.......So the current game is much improved, even though journalists reviewed it as a main GT when it was not meant to be.....

Yet beyond the meta score, even Forza is trying to catch-up to the high standard GTS has set for online racing, they have devoted time to getting rid of lootboxes, which was a way to access all the cars people deem make Forza a better package of content, which is pretty ironic.......Yet on the sim aspect.......GTS is the first game to really nail the physics, sound, graphics and presentation of Sim racing on your couch......I think more persons will see what PD has done here in the next iteration of racing games, especially Forza, even Project Cars or Assetto (if they have the budget)....You will see Turn 10 try to get their presentation, replays, the motorsport aspect closer to GT for the next round.....

sublimit

Banned
I have not played any Forza game so i can't really compare the way the cars feel while driving but the last main Forza game automatically wins for me because unlike GT Sport it had a solid Single Player campaign from day one. I used to be a huge GT fan but i don't like this e-sports direction they have been trying to push into the series. For me GT was more like a Single Player RPG with cars and i enjoyed collecting and upgrading the cars and win tournaments.

If GT7 is more like GTSport then i'm done with the series.

I have not played any Forza game so i can't really compare the way the cars feel while driving but the last main Forza game automatically wins for me because unlike GT Sport it had a solid Single Player campaign from day one. I used to be a huge GT fan but i don't like this e-sports direction they have been trying to push into the series. For me GT was more like a Single Player RPG with cars and i enjoyed collecting and upgrading the cars and win tournaments.

If GT7 is more like GTSport then i'm done with the series.

Didn't Poly confirm GTS was GT7?

Top Bottom