• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport will ban players for using Confederate flag

Status
Not open for further replies.

DogofWar

Meanwhile

forza_3_the_communist_car_by_alpinegremlin_d3beqcl-fullview.jpg

And not a single spoiled middle class white liberal in the US think this is an issue since they don't know/care about the enormous suffering and oppression the hammer and sickle represent for a lot of countries.

If they want to remove all flags from their game due to a policy to keep politics out that is fine by me but fuck this double standard.

Tiamat2san

Exactly...
Dimebag was a great guitar player but that’s it .
Anselmo is a racist asshole and a lot of Pantera fans (not all) fit the profile of the pro confederate redneck metal heads.

And I saw the Pantera logo with the flag at least several time in forza.

Nydus

Gold Member
Those who erase the past are doomed to repeat it.

The flag is a part of US history. We should try to learn and improve, not hide the past. Nobody is going to learn anything about that flag and it’s history if it’s censored from being seen.

I really don’t care about Forza blocking it. BRAND doesn’t actually care either. What I do take issue with is people trying to delete history instead of learning from it.
Yeah just when germany banned the swastika and now they are all super fascist again!!! Oh wait...

Iorv3th

Context matters. So in the context of it being on the dukes of hazard car, it's still racist and ban worthy?

Perhaps the democrat logo should be banned as well since the Confederate state was backed by the Democrats party.
And how long was that ago?
The Republican party of to day is the most racist party in the country. The party that insisted Barack Obama was a Muslim. ( Still waiting on that evidence from that Mr. Trump)
The party that protects guilty men for gunning down blacks and other minorities.
A party that supports a president that continuously uses races catch phrases from the sixties seventies and fifties. ( When the looting starts the shooting stars, Will use the National Guard to protect Donald Trump from the people)
A party that has consistently denied repealed laws that he help minorities and Americans,
A party that is continuously supporting the needs of the wealthy and Corporations.

Smaller government means get rid of the EPA, get rid of the consumer protection agency get rid of Obama care get rid of the sec get rid of Any agency that protects the people against the rich and powerful corporations of America. Everything I just named is happening and everything I just said benefits one class of people the rich and the corporations. How about Stand your ground , A law that purpose I designed to give the upper hand to the gun Carrier versus a non gun Carrier.
And who does this law Help the most the gun lobby And the good maker.
How about getting rid of glass segal a law put in place to protect us against Wall Street giving us another 2008 episode where the people had to bail out the banks Because they gambled with our money.
Who destroyed or weakened this law republicans.
During this cauvet 19 crisis Americans were given a check for about $1900 your Republican made sure that corporations got billions. Or how about the fact that Barack Obama put in a agency to pray help protect the American people against pandemic and your president Republican fire them all thanks.......You're president a few years ago a young lady was run down by a white supremacys and your president got on tv and said literally said "there was wrong on both sides." Oh yes and by the way that same Republican party that you just talked about wrote something in the 13th amendment Where you are not considered a good citizen of the United States if you are charge with a crime. And who was the president that put in a law that made it so that anyone smoking a joint or using crack cocaine would get a life sentence compare to a white cocaine user who will my get 30 days in jail. The party that once to delete social security and you live the same scam wordage it won't be here for the next generation because you people stupidly believe it.
A party that believes in corporate welfare for the militaryHow many $40000 tool chest can a man have? How about the The senator of Utah who purposely keeps school to tuition rate high so that the federal government will continue to make money? How about a party that wants to eliminate affirmative action , and think that it actually stops whites from going to school. The last time I looked most of your Ivory league colleges are 90% white. How about a party that has destroyed the middle class by destroying unions Except for police officers and fire departments. ( Right to work States is the law).

So yes thanks Microsoft for making a stand against people like this who would know racism is it slapped him in the face.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

So Dukes of Hazard is cancelled?
It started back in 2015 when WB removed the flag from all the toy cars and models.
Today places like Amazon Prime are considering removing the shows off their Prime streaming service altogether.

Now it is getting dangerously close to being erased from existence. How long before Warner Bros. removes the show from digital storefronts like Google Play where you can buy all the episodes?

My prediction is that soon you won't even be able to buy the episodes or series on any digital storefronts. The next step would be the shows returning at an undisclosed time with all episodes containing a digitally altered General Lee without the Confederate flag. Due to the cost and time to do this to every episode I predict that once it's taken off these markets it will be a long time before we see it return to digital store fronts.
WB removes Confederate flag from The General Lee

Amazon Prime May remove Dukes of Hazard

The General Lee is a thing of beauty in Forza Horizon 4

As of now all episodes of DoH are still available to purchase digitally on Google Play Store. Get them while you can.

Last edited:

bukowski81

Yes, racists the world over will be simply crushed by this devastating blow. An incredible L that will make these racists re-evaluate their entire existence! Take that racists!

The absolute state of some of these new members.
Well judging by some responses here they actually are.

bukowski81

I once lived near a friend who had a Confederate flag in their living room...walked in and out of the house in one piece, all my limbs were still attached...he was a bit of a country redneck but also pretty chill and liked cars a lot.

We actually kept in touch for a long while afterwards, this all started back in high school. And no, I'm not white. So....why are the indoctrinated college babies crying about a virtual flag in a racing game again?
Better question, why are racist babies crying that they can't use a virtual flag in a racing game again?

Glad they are doing it because down here (in the south) all you hear is excuses for it. If you allow it to be used in your game, you're pretty much saying you are okay with it. By the same token I'm glad they don't allow nazi symbolism.

Like others have said, it's not even the right flag to begin with and was specifically revived during the last gasps of Jim Crow/segregation as a rallying cry for white supremacists and that's typically what it stands for now. And the state's rights thing is a crock of shit because they were only interested in one particular "state's right" and that was the continuance of chattel slavery. The north certainly wasn't fighting specifically to end slavery, but to uphold the union, however slavery was ended as a byproduct of their fight.

There is a massive difference between remembering terrible parts of our history and celebrating them. You can freely learn about nazis, Hitler, etc but when you go to Germany you don't see memorials dedicated to them or see their flags flying on government buildings. In terms of the confederacy, remember that these assholes pretty much all said the same thing in their declarations of succession (but then tried to play semantics in order to receive foreign aide) but I'll let the confederate vice president's own words say it best:

"Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth. This truth has been slow in the process of its development, like all other truths in the various departments of science. "

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
Perhaps the democrat logo should be banned as well since the Confederate state was backed by the Democrats party.
....and the Southern Democrats also wanted to keep slavery active while in more current times the Democrats are responsible for the creation and implementation of Red Line laws in decades-long Democratic stronghold cities like Chicago, Detriot, and yeah, Minneapolis.

lock2k

Banned
I really have no horse in this race, I mean, I don't care about this flag, it doesn't really mean anything to me but I'll never understand in my lifetime why the Swastika and Confederate flags are banned and the fucking Communism flag (which killed more than all regimes combined) is tolerated - also, Che Guevara's flag, a fucking psycho maniac killer - he is revered everywhere and no one bans it. I'll think it's bullshit until those flags are outlawed as well.

For those of you who have sadly yet to break themselves from a concrete mindset, please understand that a flag can represent many things and not be entirely inclusive of said things, especially the Confederate battle flag.

Its roots lie more in slavery than it does racism, as the Confederacy formed and fought to keep an economic industry built around slavery.

Nearly a century later is when it found its home as a symbol of racism when it was adopted by white supremacist groups.

In between that time, as well as the time between major white supremacist groups falling and now, the flag represented southern pride, heritage, and states rights for many.

Again, I just ask that you understand this flag has a particularly complex history and isn't implicitly racist.

How can a flag that represented a government specifically founded on the principle that black people's natural state is slavery to the superior white race, not be a symbol of racism? It doesn't matter what tv show used it, or what meaning people tried to assign to it after that fact.

Good move. And fuck anyone who complains about it. This forum has existed longer than the confederacy did, and you wouldn't say it's part of your culture/heritage. Racists can keep taking those Ls.

So If I as European would add that flag just because it looks funny / cool etc = it turns me into racists?

I think that you are now some kind of racist or whatever is the term for someone whom discriminates other nationalities, by using your rules?

because you assume that everyone whom would use that flag uses it because of it have some connection to racism? (never heard that, just thought it is popular among rednecks / rockabillys) Or they claim that it belongs to their culture / heritage (and use it because they are racists)?

So you just assume that only US citizens would do it, or like it. Which is discriminating against rest of the world because basically you say "only US exist, only US motives exist"

and how about Indian people whom like to wear swastika shirts aka "hitler symbol", are they nazis?

I feel offended by your "racism" against us europeans whom like funny flags!

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Good. Racists need to be put in their place wherever possible. There's just one other group of people Forza bans that swiftly, pedos with their free candy van liveries.

Pallas

Good thing I guess? I’m not a fan of the flag but I also don’t like suppressing history because no matter how ugly, it’s still part of this country and it’s there to remind us of how far we’ve came and the shit we had to go through as a country.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
So If I as European would add that flag just because it looks funny / cool etc = it turns me into racists?

I think that you are now some kind of racist or whatever is the term for someone whom discriminates other nationalities, by using your rules?

because you assume that everyone whom would use that flag uses it because of it have some connection to racism? (never heard that, just thought it is popular among rednecks / rockabillys) Or they claim that it belongs to their culture / heritage (and use it because they are racists)?

So you just assume that only US citizens would do it, or like it. Which is discriminating against rest of the world because basically you say "only US exist, only US motives exist"

I feel offended by your "racism" against us europeans whom like funny flags!
No, it just means you are an uneducated European. This stuff is common knowledge (I am from Europe). Not knowing the meaning of a flag and just using it means you are ignorant.

Fox Mulder

Good, why someone would sport a flag of so much death and hate is beyond me. Do you see people openly flying a Nasi flag and people bring okay with it?

In reality, most people using it in Forza likely just enjoyed having the iconic general lee car in a game about cars. What a concept. I had one in every Forza since FH2. The show is going to be destroyed from history soon though.

But this is MS. Forza was banning users for having jokey “free candy“ liveries on vans years ago, as if it was people out to fuck kids over Xbox Live or something.

Last edited:
Reading the responses in here, yes, they are crushed. If you wait for wholesale change, you'll wait forever. Incremental change is better than no change. You might understand that if you spent decades experiencing the other side, after coming from a country where you were once the majority and never experienced racism growing up. You can make more sarcastic quips about it, but makes no difference to me. This isn't about you.

Not really. Not sure anyone even implied that. I watched the Dukes of Hazard growing up, and quite enjoyed the show and the General Lee. I also didn't know anything about the symbols, as I wasn't even living in America. I lived in a country where everyone looked like me. Now that I understand the history of the symbol, and spend most of my life in the racist-ass American south, I have a much different opinion of the show. You wouldn't think the symbol means enough for people to be offended, but then look at you. You're clearly a product of the loser's flag being bandied about as a benign symbol, when it's not. That's why policy changes like this matter. We don't care if current racists continue down their paths of ignorance. It's about fomenting change, so that future generations can eventually live in a world rid of dimwits.

If you never start, you'll never finish. This is a start. I wish it was more, but we take what we can get.

Oh for fucks sake. “I came from a country where everyone looked like me” and now that you’re in a fucking melting pot of different races you think that place is racist and not the one you came from where everybody looked the fucking same? Fucking el oh el.

Teslerum

I really have no horse in this race, I mean, I don't care about this flag, it doesn't really mean anything to me but I'll never understand in my lifetime why the Swastika and Confederate flags are banned and the fucking Communism flag (which killed more than all regimes combined) is tolerated - also, Che Guevara's flag, a fucking psycho maniac killer - he is revered everywhere and no one bans it. I'll think it's bullshit until those flags are outlawed as well.

None of them should be banned, we can argue cases (and I would support that as well) where they activly ARE utilized in a racist way, but a general ban doesn't help to overcome anything at all. Actually getting over it and looking for ways to unite does.

Adding to that, everyone who brings up Germany, you are fully aware that a vast amount of people hate the ban of symbols? Not because those people were racists in any way, but the pure act of tip toeing around them pissed people off especially in media where germans got special versions for all sort of shit. It took till 2018 that people in germany got to shoot Nazis in Wolfenstein. Granted most still did via uncensoring patches (a scene which was at times huge), but alas. The import market was huge as well because of it.

Last edited:

OutRun88

How can a flag that represented a government specifically founded on the principle that black people's natural state is slavery to the superior white race, not be a symbol of racism? It doesn't matter what tv show used it, or what meaning people tried to assign to it after that fact.
Did you even read what I wrote? You embody the very first sentence I typed.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
And how long was that ago?
The Republican party of to day is the most racist party in the country. The party that insisted Barack Obama was a Muslim. ( Still waiting on that evidence from that Mr. Trump)
The party that protects guilty men for gunning down blacks and other minorities.
A party that supports a president that continuously uses races catch phrases from the sixties seventies and fifties. ( When the looting starts the shooting stars, Will use the National Guard to protect Donald Trump from the people)
A party that has consistently denied repealed laws that he help minorities and Americans,
A party that is continuously supporting the needs of the wealthy and Corporations.

Smaller government means get rid of the EPA, get rid of the consumer protection agency get rid of Obama care get rid of the sec get rid of Any agency that protects the people against the rich and powerful corporations of America. Everything I just named is happening and everything I just said benefits one class of people the rich and the corporations. How about Stand your ground , A law that purpose I designed to give the upper hand to the gun Carrier versus a non gun Carrier.
And who does this law Help the most the gun lobby And the good maker.
How about getting rid of glass segal a law put in place to protect us against Wall Street giving us another 2008 episode where the people had to bail out the banks Because they gambled with our money.
Who destroyed or weakened this law republicans.
During this cauvet 19 crisis Americans were given a check for about $1900 your Republican made sure that corporations got billions. Or how about the fact that Barack Obama put in a agency to pray help protect the American people against pandemic and your president Republican fire them all thanks.......You're president a few years ago a young lady was run down by a white supremacys and your president got on tv and said literally said "there was wrong on both sides." Oh yes and by the way that same Republican party that you just talked about wrote something in the 13th amendment Where you are not considered a good citizen of the United States if you are charge with a crime. And who was the president that put in a law that made it so that anyone smoking a joint or using crack cocaine would get a life sentence compare to a white cocaine user who will my get 30 days in jail. The party that once to delete social security and you live the same scam wordage it won't be here for the next generation because you people stupidly believe it.
A party that believes in corporate welfare for the militaryHow many $40000 tool chest can a man have? How about the The senator of Utah who purposely keeps school to tuition rate high so that the federal government will continue to make money? How about a party that wants to eliminate affirmative action , and think that it actually stops whites from going to school. The last time I looked most of your Ivory league colleges are 90% white. How about a party that has destroyed the middle class by destroying unions Except for police officers and fire departments. ( Right to work States is the law).

So yes thanks Microsoft for making a stand against people like this who would know racism is it slapped him in the face.
You should take your shitty political opinions and nonsense to the Politics section and make your arguments with people that actually want to talk politics. I'd wager you'll get fact checked though and come limping back to gaming side ready to just stick to talking about games.

nkarafo

And yes, I think if you try to defend something like a swastika or the confederate flag, that you are racist.
Friend of mine is a hobbyist modeler and likes WW2 stuff. His favorite model is the German Tiger Tank. I'm going to scratch off the swastikas he painted on it to see if he is racist.

cormack12

Gold Member
Good. Racists need to be put in their place wherever possible.

Do you think everyone that appropriates controversial imagery is an actual racist? Is that the only narrow possibility you accept?

Like do you understand the concept of people doing it deliberately to wind people up or be edgy? People using it to basically just piss off and annoy other people? It always baffles me when these broad stroke statements are made because it's like they grew up as lonely kids, or in some insular nerd group that never really mingled with general assholes.

You should take your shitty political opinions and nonsense to the Politics section and make your arguments with people that actually want to talk politics. I'd wager you'll get fact checked though and come limping back to gaming side ready to just stick to talking about games.
Oh yes I forgot one Donald J trump tax breaks, who did they help, his rich friends........... That's the Republican party. So as I said Microsoft good job and I hope more companies follow suit. We need to stop honoring people who lost the Civil War. In some countries that would be called treason.

Last edited:
I love that flag even more now even though I’m not American. That flag now represents much more than just CSA, it represents not being afraid to say that you’re proud to be white but don’t condone slavery or any other racist bullshit. Meaning of that flag has evolved through time (Southern Pride) but liberal nutcases wants you to think they all support slavery! No way, Pedro.

I don’t have Xbox so this doesn’t affect me but I’ll make sure to put it on display in some other virtual space just for spite. You can ban me all you want but this is worthy 🏔 to die on.

Neofire

BLM is a pretty hateful organization with many deaths on its hands. I think it should be banned as well.
Who said I supported that organization that has clearly co-oped by the feminist movement. Among other things, every day it gets to be less and less about black people. Especially men. If you read their mission statement on their website you can see that easily.

Did you even read what I wrote? You embody the very first sentence I typed.

No, you are claiming people are ignorant while somehow stating: "In between that time, as well as the time between major white supremacist groups falling and now, the flag represented southern pride, heritage, and states rights for many" which is the very definition of ignorance. Ignoring what the flag actually stands for and trying to attach some other, supposedly less terrible, meaning is willful ignorance at best.

Do you make the same excuses for people who today want to wear the nazi flag because they think it looks cool, or to them it somehow represents German herritage with no link to WWII or the Holocaust? Because that's the sort of thing you are stating is fine.

Apparently the fact that the confederacy took up arms against the United States (you know, actual traitors) and was built primarily to continue slavery BY THE WORDS OF THEIR FOUNDERS is not relevant because some people choose to ignore it. Congrats I guess?

Guilty_AI

Still remember when Hillary declared pepe the frog a hate symbol, or when some people lost their shit because of "its ok to be white" posts.

We're living in dangerous yet hilarious times. It like a parody version of facists governments on the rise that accuse the opposition of being the facists ones.

The funniest part is how some people happily partake in the proccess while truly believing they're 'on the side' of justice and equality while fighting phantoms. In reality they're nothing more than little dictators.

Last edited:

goldenpp72

Why do people here not seem to consider the confederate flag racist? Do you also not consider the statues conveniently erected when MLK was kicking racist too?

Leftists are dumb as fuck and twice as loud, so might be a while.

"Rich people and corporations bad"
"Wow, Microsoft and every other corporation is brave for virtue signal"

It's quite funny, honestly.

Why do people here not seem to consider the confederate flag racist? Do you also not consider the statues conveniently erected when MLK was kicking racist too?

1. How can a flag be a racist?
2. You do realize black people in the south owned slaves too, right?
3. You do realize not every person living in the south was a slave owner, right?

Yeah, didn't think so.

Last edited:
I love that flag even more now even though I’m not American. That flag now represents much more than just CSA, it represents not being afraid to say that you’re proud to be white but don’t condone slavery or any other racist bullshit. Meaning of that flag has evolved through time (Southern Pride) but liberal nutcases wants you to think they all support slavery! No way, Pedro.

I don’t have Xbox so this doesn’t affect me but I’ll make sure to put it on display in some other virtual space just for spite. You can ban me all you want but this is worthy 🏔 to die on.

Cognitive dissonance 101, using a symbol of a racist government to somehow not represent racism.

Bragr

Banned
In the beginning, I was against the flag, I never understood why it was so accepted in the U.S. considering the history. But during these last few weeks, I'm trying to be neutral, not because I like the flag, but because the people trying to remove the flag are acting just as abusive as the racists to begin with. I want nothing to do with both of these groups. They are the same type of people on different sides of the coin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom