• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Found old PSP, repairs needed

Doczu

While visiting my parents i found my old PSP fat. I loved the thing and thought i could use it as a portable PSX player. But there's a lot that would have to be done first.

1. New shell - there a lot of scratches on the original one, especially on the screen.
2. New battery - are there any good, NEW, packs to find on the market? I know a lot of them are cheap knock-offs, but there have to be some good ones, no?
3. D-Pad upgrade - old fatties are shitty for fighting games. Is there an easy mod to make it work better?
4. UMD drive repairs. Discs spin, laser is visible, but the drive doesn't move...

i've checked the web for some batteries, parts and shells, but they are a bit pricey. So naturally i've ventured to aliexpress and there are a ton of parts. Now i know you can buy real crap, but a lot of the shells found on "western" shops are the same ones from china with an extra cost above, other parts also.
can someone confirm you can find good parts there? Should i just take the most expensive (but still cheap) parts? Shell be damned, but the drive parts are what i'm mostly concerned about.

ON that note, are there any hardware mods i should do to my console to make it better to use?

EDIT: Holy shit, the whole post was bolded. Oops, didn't see it on mobile.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gp1

Quasicat

Very cool find. I would think that the shell, battery and perhaps the d pad fix would be fairly easy to pull off. As for the UMD drive, I would imagine that it would be a pain especially with how mechanical the 1001 drives were compared to the later models. Of course, you could source the game files with the help of a second hacked system, with a working UMD drive, and put the files on your memory card. 😉

Just curious, what games do you have for your PSP? I love the feel of holding the UMDs.

Last edited:

Doczu

Of course, you could source the game files with the help of a second hacked system, with a working UMD drive, and put the files on your memory card. 😉

Just curious, what games do you have for your PSP? I love the feel of holding the UMDs.
Tekken 5, Ridge Racer, both Burnouts, Killzone, GT and both GTA games. Also have a small collection of movies when they were sould out and dirt cheap prices. Had a lot more, but either sold them or are still to be found in some boxes.
I did use disc images (of games i owned) to conserve battery life and faster loading times. That and unlocking 333 mhz cpu for games.

Considering you can buy practically brand new looking PSP’s for around $80 is it worth going through all that trouble
Well i have a sentiment to this console. Bought it new at launch, worked super hard to have the cash, it was super expensive for poor ass, east european, teenage me.
That and i'm trying some electric/electronic handy work. This would be a good training for me.

Kadve

Tried to do a smilar repair work myself recently. (too not much luck, my screen is now all blurry and the dpad is stiff a hell)

1: Replacing the shell requires you to reduce the entire thing to its components. I don't recommend it as the psp was a VERY compact machine. And there is a lot that can go wrong. Replacing the screen is easy enough though, but be careful to not get any dust on the inside. (Guide on ifixit). They also have a teardown guide if you really want to replace the case.

2: No idea. My battery works about as well as when i bought it, so never had the need to replace it. Just make sure you get one for the 1000 as i don't think the 2000/3000 is combatable. Whatever you find on ebay or similar sites should work fine.

3: Check out the old ufighterx mod. The go-to from what i heard when it comes to improving the psp D-pad.

4: Replacing the UMD drive again requires you too dive deep down into the consoles internals. Personally i would just buy one of these and go all digital (much quicker load times if anything). If you really want to replace it though, you can buy it from amazon or aliexpress and while i don't have a guide for the 1000, The guide for the 3000 should be close enough. Just beware that it could just as easily be a problem with the motherboard that causes discs to be unreadable.

(edit) My biggest problem with my PSP nowadays is its low quality speakers, stumbled this mod a while back though which i might test some day (for slim, so no idea if it works with 1000 though)

Last edited:

Doczu

Tried to do a smilar repair work myself recently. (too not much luck, my screen is now all blurry and the dpad is stiff a hell)

1: Replacing the shell requires you to reduce the entire thing to its components. I don't recommend it as the psp was a VERY compact machine. And there is a lot that can go wrong. Replacing the screen is easy enough though, but be careful to not get any dust on the inside. (Guide on ifixit). They also have a teardown guide if you really want to replace the case.

2: No idea. My battery works about as well as when i bought it, so never has had the need to replace it. Just make sure you get one for the 1000 as i don't think the 2000/3000 is combatable. Whatever you find on ebay or similar sites should work fine.

3: Check out the old ufighterx mod. The go-to from what i heard when it comes to improving the psp D-pad.

4: Replacing the UMD drive again requires you too dive deep down into the consoles internals. Personally i would just buy one of these and go all digital (much quicker load times if anything). If you really want to replace it though, you can buy it from amazon or aliexpress and while i don't have a guide for the 1000, The guide for the 3000 should be close enough. Just beware that it could just as easily be a problem with the motherboard that causes discs to be unreadable.
1. The work needed is no problem for me. I have a lot of spare after i put my kid to sleep so i can work on it. I don't need to replace the lcd screen, all the damage is on the shell's plastic. Some cuts are deep and really obscure the visibility.
2. I think they are compatible, but you can't close the battery cover on them. So that's a no go.
3. Thanks! This looks easy to do!
4. All digital is an option if i can't get the drive to work. This repair could be easy if the problem is that the drive got stuck. Or the motor of moving the lens died and replacing is the only way.

Caffeine

theres a couple oem sony batteries floating about on ebay someone found a huge pile of them not to long ago.

AGRacing

While visiting my parents i found my old PSP fat. I loved the thing and thought i could use it as a portable PSX player. But there's a lot that would have to be done first.

1. New shell - there a lot of scratches on the original one, especially on the screen.
2. New battery - are there any good, NEW, packs to find on the market? I know a lot of them are cheap knock-offs, but there have to be some good ones, no?
3. D-Pad upgrade - old fatties are shitty for fighting games. Is there an easy mod to make it work better?
4. UMD drive repairs. Discs spin, laser is visible, but the drive doesn't move...

i've checked the web for some batteries, parts and shells, but they are a bit pricey. So naturally i've ventured to aliexpress and there are a ton of parts. Now i know you can buy real crap, but a lot of the shells found on "western" shops are the same ones from china with an extra cost above, other parts also.
can someone confirm you can find good parts there? Should i just take the most expensive (but still cheap) parts? Shell be damned, but the drive parts are what i'm mostly concerned about.

ON that note, are there any hardware mods i should do to my console to make it better to use?
The front shell is kind of easy... but the entire case is a nightmare.

marquimvfs

1. The work needed is no problem for me. I have a lot of spare after i put my kid to sleep so i can work on it. I don't need to replace the lcd screen, all the damage is on the shell's plastic. Some cuts are deep and really obscure the visibility.
2. I think they are compatible, but you can't close the battery cover on them. So that's a no go.
4. All digital is an option if i can't get the drive to work. This repair could be easy if the problem is that the drive got stuck. Or the motor of moving the lens died and replacing is the only way.
If all the work isn't a problem for you, you could do it, but not with new original parts. Those aren't available anymore. If you manage to find, maybe, an original spare battery, it's cost would be very prohibitive. In my experience (I live in Brazil) the best way to find some parts is on Chinese market, searching on aliexpress is your best bet. With that in mind, some parts are of pretty terrible quality, you have to search a lot and read the buyer's reviews when they are available to find something that is usable.
In my opinion, given the number of problems you're facing with your console, it's better (and even cheaper) to find an buy another one that's in a state that pleases you. But, I understand that maybe it have some sentimental value for you. If that's the case, I say go for it, but maybe don't chance the case, because sometimes the spare it's very different from the original.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Well i have a sentiment to this console. Bought it new at launch, worked super hard to have the cash, it was super expensive for poor ass, east european, teenage me.
That and i'm trying some electric/electronic handy work. This would be a good training for me.
I get things can have sentimental value and it’s a neat project but.......
The front shell is kind of easy... but the entire case is a nightmare.
This
If all the work isn't a problem for you, you could do it, but not with new original parts. Those aren't available anymore. If you manage to find, maybe, an original spare battery, it's cost would be very prohibitive. In my experience (I live in Brazil) the best way to find some parts is on Chinese market, searching on aliexpress is your best bet. With that in mind, some parts are of pretty terrible quality, you have to search a lot and read the buyer's reviews when they are available to find something that is usable.
In my opinion, given the number of problems you're facing with your console, it's better (and even cheaper) to find an buy another one that's in a state that pleases you. But, I understand that maybe it have some sentimental value for you. If that's the case, I say go for it, but maybe don't chance the case, because sometimes the spare it's very different from the original.
This too
Finding good quality parts isn’t that easy and this is one reason why I suggested getting a good quality working used PSP.

This will give you a idea of the teardown

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Tekken 5, Ridge Racer, both Burnouts, Killzone, GT and both GTA games. Also have a small collection of movies when they were sould out and dirt cheap prices. Had a lot more, but either sold them or are still to be found in some boxes.
I did use disc images (of games i owned) to conserve battery life and faster loading times. That and unlocking 333 mhz cpu for games.

Best way to be. I salute you!

Kadve

Don't think there is replacement parts for the actual UMD drive beyond cannibalizing other ones. It might just be that the lens needs a good cleaning though. Heard most drive issues with the PS2 can be fixed that way anyhow.

Bought the slim equivalent of this set myself a while back as mine was also covered in scratches and the buttons didn't work properly. Gave up on replacing the shell though, and i think i did something wrong with the d-pad as mentioned above.

Unless this is a fun project for you, I don't see how it could be worthwhile if it needs that much work.

He said above its because he got nostalgia for this particular device and because he wants to practice his electronic fixing skills.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

He said above its because he got nostalgia for this particular device and because he wants to practice his electronic fixing skills.
Yep. But even that way, if it's an sentimental item, maybe it's best if he just clean it an keep it in it's original form, and then buy another one to use on his daily basis...

Caffeine Caffeine I'm sorry, but that's not an original battery. Here, serve yourself with an used original for just $45 plus shipping:

Last edited:

trikster40

I’m with ya OP. Need a new screen and battery for mine. Love to get it working again. It works, but screens a mess.

Doczu

Wow, this thread blew up more than i thought! I appreciate all the tips from you guys, words of advice and links.

marquimvfs marquimvfs yeah i'm gonna pass on the battery. 45 bucks is way too much. I know, new and genuine parts are a holy grail, but that's too much. I can buy all the needed parts (replacement umd drive, shell and a shady battery for testing) with shipping from China.

This is a fun/learning project for me, covid isolation is slowly getting to me and i need to do something to feel better. And all i will learn with this one will be used for me special, one of a kind, close to my heart project - my GBC. I'd rather botch my PSP while repairing/upgrading than fuck up my baby GBC.

Oh and now i can add a loose battery (console dies even when i lay it gently on the table...) and faulty/drifting analog nub. This will be a lot of work!

marquimvfs

Let's go for it:
Optical Unit module -

Battery - https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPQFrHZ

Shell - https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0qebXV

And I'm unaware of any mod that improve the quality of the D-Pad. But you could replace the switch board too, if yours is defective.

Switch Board - https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMNLLUJ

Edit: yeah. I was lookin' for everithing before you post your answer. So, it looks like you've found everithing already. It's like i said, everithing will be a chinese knock off, but you could research and found some gems among the crap that will serve you well. Original replacement parts are out of equation. It's cheaper to buy another psp and take all the parts from it. In case you haven't found yet, here goes the analog stick too:

Last edited:

Doczu

Stage 1 complete. I've taken the thing apart, mostly to clean it and check the UMD drive close up.

So yes, i admit that it's packed and moving the insides to a new shell will require a lot of patience. It wasnt too difficult to take it apart, but these's ribbons look and feel very fragile.

The UMD drive works in all it's long loading times glory. Cleaned the lens with alcohol (luckily had some leftover 95% rectified spirit - took a few victorious shots after all the work), and smeared the mechanical parts with some grease to make it move again. Took two tries with it and Burnout loaded "instantly".

Took apart the analog nub and also cleaned it together with the small board piece that register movement. No more crazy random movements! However it really works like ass. I don't remember anymore if that's just how it always was with the old fatty, or if time has taken it's toll. The movement is very janky and i feel like one specific direction (down-right) takes a special amount of force to move the nub. Not overkill level of force, but i need to "try harder". Would it be a good idea to grease the shit out of the nub, or is replacement the best course of action? Or am i just oversensitive and it works like it should?

"Modded" the d-pad. Put a layer of plastic under the buttons and it's way stiffer now. Diagonal movements are now easy to do, looks like fighting games and 2D platformers are back on the menu!

So i've ordered a transparent case, a knock-off battery and i'm on the edge on ordering an ips display for the fatty. It looks amazing, brightness, colors and - no more ghosting. God i forgot how much ghosting there was, i'll never bitch about the 3DS ghosting anymore....

No pics sadly, was too occupied with repairing and drinking.

Last edited:
Oh man, please post pics or vids of that new screen. The moment, I read "ghosting" and my eyes got instant PTSD and I wept a bit for the glory of my hacked Vitas.

Last edited:

Doczu

Oh man, please post pics or vids of that new screen. The moment, I read "ghosting" and my eyes got instant PTSD and I wept a bit for the glory of my hacked Vitas.

Still haven't decided if i should buy one, but while looking for some pics, comparisons and the ali listing it starts growing on me.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_uGlPJn

I can't find any bad comment or review of this. Everyone is comparing the refresh rate to the 3k models, but without the scanlines.
It's also an easy replacement other than switching the screens you need to short circuit two pins on the board. They are next to each other, so it's really easy.

Doczu

Yeah, big ones, but not part of the project. Turns out i'm going to have a second kid! I've ordered a drone power cell, a dead battery to mod the newcell in it but after doing this i need to put in hold. So new shell and ips screen will have to wait...

Top Bottom