• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Foundation (Isaac Asimov) - Official Trailer

Tschumi

Snoop Dogg Advice GIF by MTV Movie & TV Awards

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
So two episodes in and I think there is not enough math or Harry. I really didn’t like the whole plot with the ship, personal lives of Gael, etc. Ending was WTF.

Tschumi

The wife is in this, used to drop her to the shooting locations super early in the morning.

She did two different roles, one tiny and then as an extra on the council of something or other and she becomes a prisoner later then....

Surprised how good it looks. Hopefully her bits made it in! And by bits, I mean what she filmed...
I intend to make screengrabs of pots and other inanimate objects in "council scenes" and ask you if they're your wife..

"Think I've spotted your wife, Bryank75, phwar that's a shapely handle"

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I got through both episodes yesterday. I'm enjoying it and will continue to watch episodes as they release. I feel like there will be things going on plot-wise to keep it engaging.

Trogdor1123

I think adapting foundation as it was written by Asimov would be impossible, remember the novellas takes place in the course of a 150 years with characters that have very little do with eachother.

The expanse novels also has a major timejump that seems to have eluded the tv adaption so far, so it's understandable why they would take the approach they have.
Im not sure I totally agree. I think they could have taken of of the sections from the first one and treated them like mini series within the series. It certainly wouldn't be easy, I agree.

I still think they could have gone down the same path as they are now without totally re-creating the storyline and adding drama where none was needed, or even wanted. Episode 3 looks to be a huge divergence as well.

ShadowNate

First episode was really good.
Second was kinda weak, but stuff happened I guess, that would kick off chain reactions in the next one.

But, yeah, the pilot got me hooked.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I liked it. About all I can remember from reading Foundation decades ago is Hari Sheldon and psycho history so this checks those boxes at least.

Is day and dusk the same guy? I don't think so but baller if it was.

Am I crazy but didn't they say the trip was 800ish days but now it takes 4 years? And the ethnic casting spoils a bit, I think.

Hari Seldon

Watched the first two episodes. They are basically combining a brand new sci-fi action story with Asimov's overarching plot. I dig it, it is probably the only way they could possibly film this with this much budget. But that does mean that the entire show hinges on this action story being good. They didn't really explain the motivation for what happened at the end of episode 2, hopefully they do in 3. I think they have to considering that they haven't really been stressing the power of what Seldon has accomplished, I feel like that might be lost on an audience that has not read the books so far.

This is certainly the most visually stunning show ever. The Empire character is great. The terrorist attack and Empire's reaction to it has been carying the show so far. I do like how they are already setting up for the ending right now. That is what doing an adaptation of a completed work gets you haha.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm guessing (end ep 2 spoilers)
that ryce sussed out that the hari on the ship is a clone or some sort of fake based on knowing that the real hari knew his dad's drinking started later, he then deduced that Empire was gonna destroy the ship (since that is always their decision) so he booted Gaal

I wish the trial was better, making Hari explain his conclusion in something other than a swirling display.

SJRB

Gold Member
That first episode was really, really good.

Man the budget for this show must be insane.

AJUMP23

I think having empire kill that painter early was too quick to tip your hand at how insecure or nefarious he was. Should have let that build over time. Other than that I thought the two episodes were great.

Boy bawang

I don't mind changes from the book, and episode one was a good reimagination. Episode 2 however it's just plain bad and almost cringing at times, and I'm not sure that I'm going to enjoy this TV show.

cebri.one

I don't care about the changes if at the end the story is engaging and they respect the core of the novels. However, I do believe they will use the series to push some bullshit political propaganda. Hopefully not.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Anyone watch Ep 3 yet? I thought it was fairly good. The rate they are releasing the episodes is too slow, in my opinion. I never thought I would just get used to so called binge watching, but not being able to watch as I have free time hurts my interest in the show. I might just wait for the season to air fully before hoping back in so I can have greater flexibility for when I am watching.

Maybe I am full of shit because I really want to know what the hell the vault is and the tensions are building in a nice way.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Anyone watch Ep 3 yet? I thought it was fairly good. The rate they are releasing the episodes is too slow, in my opinion. I never thought I would just get used to so called binge watching, but not being able to watch as I have free time hurts my interest in the show. I might just wait for the season to air fully before hoping back in so I can have greater flexibility for when I am watching.

Maybe I am full of shit because I really want to know what the hell the vault is and the tensions are building in a nice way.

Yeah… this staggered release is annoying after being used to Netflix approach.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I liked it. About all I can remember from reading Foundation decades ago is Hari Sheldon and psycho history so this checks those boxes at least.

Is day and dusk the same guy? I don't think so but baller if it was.

Am I crazy but didn't they say the trip was 800ish days but now it takes 4 years? And the ethnic casting spoils a bit, I think.

Yeah that confused me too. I thought Hari clearly said 800 odd days. Why did it become 4 years?

Last edited:
Tried the first EP. Big Jared Harris fan. But my overall feeling was I'd rather read the books.
But getting back on Apple TV got me hooked into For All Mankind which I'm loving.

Reactions: MrS

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Just watched the last episode and I’m getting hella tired of the eternal cliffhanger this show is stuck with. It’s like the showrunners though this boring shit would appeal to no one and their solution was to have multiple cliffhangers in every episode, one for every plot line.

Makes it really frustrating to watch.

Just watched the last episode and I’m getting hella tired of the eternal cliffhanger this show is stuck with. It’s like the showrunners though this boring shit would appeal to no one and their solution was to have multiple cliffhangers in every episode, one for every plot line.

Makes it really frustrating to watch.
I havn't finished the latest ep as the mrs got too tired and buggered off to bed but I'd happily watch it just as eye candy. Fantastic looking show. I even watch the opening credits every episode lol.

AJUMP23

I am through episode 5. I like the show but there is some stuff that just feels like filler. It’s good and production is amazing but I need the story to move a little. The first 2 episodes everything moved quickly now it has slowed down to focus on one thing.

Melon Husk

Good grief half of this show is trite Game of Thronesy waste of time. I skip through it all.
I could really do without the royalty, castles, and the Dothraki hord... large groups of men shouting angrily in a foreign language and charging into battle.

The emperor stuff should have been cut after... episode 3? It hamstrings the "main" storyline. The showrunners managed to be woke (two african american women as protagonists) and total sellouts at the same time with their triplets of patriarchy who fill half of the running time. They want to have their cake and eat it too.

The thing is... the George Cloneys' life stories don't appeal to me at all. The main storyline is meh to ok. Some of the stuff they made up is fine, but the director and/or editor is not getting the full potential out of these actors with some of the shots they've chosen. The budget's there but the main storyline doesn't get the attention it deserves.

If I could watch a modern tv show without unrequisite non-linear storytelling or focus hopping between disconnected storylines, please...

edit: Correction: Lou Llobell and Leah Harvey are from London. I see them as the main protagonists of the show. The point still stands as USA is the main market it's sold to.

edit2: Math montage was cringe. Either do it with heart or don't do it at all. Trying to have their cake and eat it too concept in one scene. Trying something brave & trying to appeal to everyone in a single scene.

Last edited:

Melon Husk

Episode 7. The Gaal storyline is diamond. It's fresh and it's clear that's where all the creativity has gone. The other two thirds of the episode? Filler. I'm so conflicted by this show. The other two storylines are essentially

1. The Expanse clone
2. Game of Thrones clone

Foundation lacks focus because its a three-in-one package. Something for everyone. I understand, they don't want their expensive show to fail, but this is ridiculous.

Cutting out the jank shortens the episodes to 20 minutes which is a bonus. I can keep watching this way, but man, season one needs an abridged fan-edit.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I havn't finished the latest ep as the mrs got too tired and buggered off to bed but I'd happily watch it just as eye candy. Fantastic looking show. I even watch the opening credits every episode lol.

So hey I edited my post because on second read it was easily misunderstood. I think the show is OK but not stellar, and I watch it because it's pretty and I'm a fan of the genre.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The main? story of the foundation town getting sacked is just brutally painful. I dig Lee pace so his is slow but tolerable, overall this is a slog though.

AJUMP23

I like the plot with the 3 empires. But this past episode 7 went no where and did nothing. They brought all these people to get a ship working and just start killing them without a person doing one thing. So dumb.
The young cleon and the girl is interesting.
The story has slowed down a great deal.

Atrus

Gold Member
This show is more a series inspired by the foundation series than it is a direct telling of the story in the books.

The best parts of this show seem to be from the Empire portion with the actors on that side doing some heavy lifting and world building.

The Terminus side of the show on the other hand is budget sci fi. You’ve probably seen better and faster developed plots from a series like Stargate.

Gaal is just elsewhere at the moment and got shut out of the main story while foundation deals with the first crisis. Just enough nuggets of plot to remind viewers she exists for the invariable season ending cliff hanger.

I look forward to the episodes each week but I can’t quite seem to connect with characters on the Terminus side.

freefornow

Only watching for the Cleon triumvirate story. This inclusion has not messed with the core principles of Asimovs story.
Will edit and stitch together the Cleon parts of this series to create my own show to watch!
What is being presented is not Foundation.

The Terminus and Invictus plots are pure C-grade Dr Who from the 80s. Missing mythical warship reappearing is a well worn trope.

I did enjoy Empire walking the spiral. Wish they kept the salt vision ambiguous.

Last edited:

evolvaer

Banned
This show went too woke with unlikable female protagonists. So far the most interesting characters are the Empires, and Hari seldon.

Atrus

Gold Member
The non-Empire stuff has not just been gender-switched, which can be fine on its own, but the focus on psychohistory and its galactic level development has been shifted to the giving space to the now female characters and their alternate forms of “intuition” guiding the story forward.

Violence being the last refuge of the incompetent is now an "old man's doctrine" in Salvor's arc as she kills or gets people around her killed (I'm hoping it teaches her the lesson?), while the patriarchal Empire faces off against a Neo-Pagan Triple Goddess religion that for some reason is commonly featured in Feminism (In the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina they overthrow the patriarchal Church of Satan and switch to triple goddess feminism which also features the maiden, mother and crone).

You don't really care about either female protagonists when their plots move slowly and steal time away from Empire.

MastaKiiLA

The show is fine IMO. I have/had the books, but never read them. Last Asimov I read was Nightfall, which I wish they'd make a movie for.

My sci-fi fan take is that the Cleon stuff is interesting, but only so far. I don't expect a lot of action to revolve around that character(s) though. So for me, the stuff on Terminus is more interesting. The whole Invictus subplot seems like it's just a plot device to get the imperial forces involved with Terminus. I'm fine with that, since it can at least briefly reunify the Trantor and Terminus timelines. I'm disappointed that Gaal seems to shoving off to another timeline now, after briefly exploring her own for Second Foundation. I'm really interested in the universe-building in this story, and it seems like the spacer stuff will be explained via Salvor instead of Gaal.

I want to know more about the ancient purge of the androids, as well as what lead up to the building of the Invictus. But I'm not sure we're going to get any more on either of those, unfortunately.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The non-Empire stuff has not just been gender-switched, which can be fine on its own, but the focus on psychohistory and its galactic level development has been shifted to the giving space to the now female characters and their alternate forms of “intuition” guiding the story forward.

Violence being the last refuge of the incompetent is now an "old man's doctrine" in Salvor's arc as she kills or gets people around her killed (I'm hoping it teaches her the lesson?), while the patriarchal Empire faces off against a Neo-Pagan Triple Goddess religion that for some reason is commonly featured in Feminism (In the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina they overthrow the patriarchal Church of Satan and switch to triple goddess feminism which also features the maiden, mother and crone).
I gotta think they will draw parallels between maiden, mother, crone and Dawn, Day, dusk empire, right? I mean, it seems like such a natural and logical progression I was surprised he didn't interrupt preacher lady to mention it.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I want to like it more than I do because it looks so damn good. Unfortunately that doesn't extend to the choreography e.g. the battle of terminus makes the bad fight scenes in Loki look good. But where it really starts to lose me is the fantasy elements (the stupid mental powers). I think Game of Thrones wisely kept those in the background for most of the series

Shmunter

Started watching this. Sensational first episode with the rest quickly spiralling down into Star Trek like melodrama.

Good news is we get 2 unrelated female black leads, not just one. The award shows are going to absolutely go ballistic over this. For me, it’s just not as strong as it first seems.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Started watching this. Sensational first episode with the rest quickly spiralling down into Star Trek like melodrama.

Good news is we get 2 unrelated female black leads, not just one. The award shows are going to absolutely go ballistic over this. For me, it’s just not as strong as it first seems.
Are we sure they are unrelated? They made such a big deal about the embryo thing, I Gotta think warden Is gaals daughter. Either her parents got the wrong embryo back by mistake, are hiding it from her, or something.

This is kindaike October Faction I think. Adoptive parents just happen to be compatible with the birth parents in order to pass off the kids as their own.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Made it to episode three and sort of fell off. Does it get better, because what I have seen looked good but sure wasn't very interesting. I went in without expecting it to be like the books, I read and loved the first three years back.

Shai-Tan

Banned

it was inspired by The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire like Game of Thrones by the Wars of the Roses so interpersonal melodrama is baked in. it's just not up to that level (or The Expanse which is doing what it wants to do better, with a much lower budget)

it's unfortunate because I like all the actors, cgi is gorgeous etc. the writing is just not particularly compelling. i didnt like what i read of the original books either, although it did allow me to appreciate Hitchhikers Guide more as Foundation is what it's a parody of

there isnt much must see tv right now so im not not watching it.

Ownage

Watching Foundation, and it's gotten slow. Glad to see the actor from Strike Back getting work and screen time. Yea, the first episode was fantastic.

I don't mean to hijack the topic, but if you like sci-fi and Apple TV, For All Mankind is a much, much better show in every aspect than Foundation.

Top Bottom