• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

[Fox DC] Washington Monument temporarily shutting down due to ‘credible threat’ following Capitol mayhem

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA

WASHINGTON - The National Park Service is suspending tours of the Washington Monument through Jan. 24 after receiving "credible threats" in the wake of last week’s chaos on Capitol Hill.

The order is going into effect today.

According to the agency, the groups responsible for storming the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday, Jan. 6 continue to threaten the District and the set-up prior to Inauguration Day on Jan. 20.

The agency says other closures may be coming to roadways, restroom, and other facilities on the National Mall and Memorial Park should the situation warrant it.

Last week, following a rally featuring President Donald Trump, supporters of the President overwhelmed U.S. Capitol police and stormed the Capitol building.

The incident prompted Congress to temporarily halt the Electoral College vote count that effectively cemented President-Elect Joe Biden’s victory in the 2020 election.

President Trump has persistently maintained that the result of the election are fraudulent.

Five people died as a result of the incident – including one U.S. Capitol police officer.

• Triggered
Reactions: chrysanthemum

ManaByte

Gold Member
Jun 10, 2004
California
manabyte.com
According to the agency, the groups responsible for storming the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday, Jan. 6 continue to threaten the District and the set-up prior to Inauguration Day on Jan. 20.

Star Trek Q GIF

Reactions: Slings and Arrows
May 22, 2018
Oh I had assumed this had already been done after the riot. They should probably go ahead and shut down the others as well just to be safe until the inauguration.

Iorv3th

Jan 16, 2013
I really have a hard time believing most of this. It doesn't pass the sniff test that these people are not going after CNN or Twitter etc. But they would go after monuments?

I could see them going after politicians but why national monuments?

ArtemisClydeFrog

Gold Member
Nov 7, 2020
I really have a hard time believing most of this. It doesn't pass the sniff test that these people are not going after CNN or Twitter etc. But they would go after monuments?

I could see them going after politicians but why national monuments?

They've assaulted multiple journalists/reporters including from CNN. The Capitol is gonna be way more prepared I'm sure, so it makes sense those THUGS would want to group up at places near the Capitol but that may have less police. Makes sense to shut them down, no reason to risk people's lives because of these terrorists.

Iorv3th

Jan 16, 2013
They've assaulted multiple journalists/reporters including from CNN. The Capitol is gonna be way more prepared I'm sure, so it makes sense those THUGS would want to group up at places near the Capitol but that may have less police. Makes sense to shut them down, no reason to risk people's lives because of these terrorists.
Why would they want to group up anywhere? If they are going to carry out an attack they are going to do it at a location where it would be beneficial to them. Why would the monument be of any benefit to them? Make people more pissed off at them and prove they are unamerican?

Reactions: Hayfield

danowat

Aug 30, 2014
Why would they want to group up anywhere? If they are going to carry out an attack they are going to do it at a location where it would be beneficial to them. Why would the monument be of any benefit to them? Make people more pissed off at them and prove they are unamerican?
Attacking / defacing monuments / statues has always been a fairly big political statement that activists like to make.

Iorv3th

Jan 16, 2013
Attacking / defacing monuments / statues has always been a fairly big political statement that activists like to make.
In sure the guys that blasted antifa and blm for destroying statues and monuments are just grinding their teeth in anticipation of destroying us monuments

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: M1chl
Aug 24, 2016
When you look for more details, it seems they are concerned about people coming to hit the monument itself, which i don't by, that doesn't make any sense.

"ha take this stone tower thing that didn't feel anything and I couldn't even damage as I kicked it with my foot"

Aug 24, 2016
I don't buy the user above explanation either, there are multiple ways to get close to the capital without using the Washington monument, you could get closer than that RIGHT NOW.

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
Maybe they intend to go the top and jump out to protest no-fly lists. Just clear the area beneath and let them.