• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox producing Mega Man movie?

Takao

Banned
20th Century Fox and Chernin Entertainment have started development on a fan favorite in the video game world. Heralded as one of the most popular video game franchises in history, MEGA MAN is now on his way to the big screen. Feel free to be cautiously optimistic.

One positive sign of things to come is Chernin Entertainment. David Ready and Michael Finfer are overseeing for the company, while Peter Chernin produces. Together they have a pretty solid pedigree for sci-fi action movies, including the recent/upcoming Planet of the Apes films. Mike Ireland and Ryan Horrigan are overseeing for Fox.

http://www.tracking-board.com/tb-exclusive-a-mega-man-movie-is-a-go-at-fox/

mdubs

Banned
What could go wrong here?

At least the guys behind Rise of the Planet of the Apes are behind it, but still

BY2K

Membero Americo
kBIZ56o.gif

Richie

Tomorrow: "The Fox-produced Mega Man movie has been cancelled, once franchise owner Capcom was sure fans had been informed of it"

vypek

Bad boxart megaman making his comeback.

Lol. Thats what I thought of too. It would be hilarious if that ended up happening. Megaman just doesnt seem great for live action (if that is what the rumored movie will definitely be)

Zubz

Banned
i hope whatever pop sensation is hot when this movie releases does a cover of the cartoon theme over the credits

Seriously, I'm seconding this. Regardless of how the movie ends up, I'd be all over that cover!

I'm not so sure about this. As a Mega Man fan, I really don't know if it'll be fit for the big screen. I'll be cautiously optimistic for now, but I can easily see this crashing and burning.

If this goes the way of that live-action Cowboy Bebop, I honestly wouldn't mind.

The Argus

I don't see Fox putting up a cool 100+ million for a character that the general public really doesn't care for anymore. Blue Sky (Fox's main CG Studio) makes a lot of franchise movies but putting Mega Man in the same boat with The Peanuts and Dr. Seuss is romanticising the early 90s. After the Rachet and Clank movie bombs next year this will be put on the furthest of back burners.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
You should be skeptical about the source of this news.

Capcom's theatrical adaptations have historically been announced by the company directly via PR. Even projects that have yet to be realized, like Devil May Cry and Lost Planet, came from the horse's mouth. The Tracking Board relentlessly presents this news as a confirmation, not a rumor.

When Capcom does send out PR for these sort of things, they typically give it to viable news outlets. Variety, The Hollywood Reporter and Empire, to name a few. The Tracking Board is not exactly a well-known place. The legitimacy of a Mega Man movie is immediately thrown into question when it's not announced through an A-tier source. You'll also notice, at the time of this writing, none of those guys have picked this up.

An animated Mega Man series (confirmed by Capcom and actually revealed by a legitimate source) will spearhead a new direction for the franchise in 2017. As I learned earlier in June, the show aims to be the core of a multimedia initiative spanning comics and toys. My source entertained the notion of a film, but it was not a priority as of June this year. The goal is to grow the brand from the show and its subsequent tie-ins. If successful, other avenues might be explored.

http://www.rockman-corner.com/2015/09/grab-your-salt-rumor-says-mega-man.html

jacobeid

Banned
Is Capcom trying to steal Inafune's thunder by releasing everything Mega Man/Mighty No. 9 related without actually releasing a video game?

morikaze

Banned
20th Century Fox and Chernin Entertainment have started development on a fan favorite in the video game world. Heralded as one of the most popular video game franchises in history, MEGA MAN is now on his way to the big screen. Feel free to be cautiously optimistic.

Yeah...

Grimdark thematic. Shia Lebouef to play plucky "all american" nobody thrust into superherodom to take on gang of international terrorists led by Doctor Wily played by Ben Kingsley, threatening American way of life.

Some blonde untalented actress to play eye candy.

Subtle.

Cyd0nia

Banned
This should be a computer animated feature where he looks just like his intro FMV from Smash Bros - or something with the aesthetic of Gendys Popeye or Sony's cloudy with a chance of meatballs. Instead it will probably be live action cinematic ass.

Fox are terrible.

Azure J

This should be a computer animated feature where he looks just like his intro FMV from Smash Bros - or something with the aesthetic of Gendys Popeye or Sony's cloudy with a chance of meatballs. Instead it will probably be live action cinematic ass.

Fox are terrible.

Those aesthetics with something akin to the Megaman Megamix "Ariga-verse"

hnnnnnnngggggg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This thread seems suspiciously dead.

I think gamers have been burned by so many video game movies announced to be in development that never come out.

Call me when the trailer is ready. Thanks.

Nanashrew

Banned
Not really interested in a live action Mega Man movie. It honestly does not sound like a good mix at all without having to take a bunch of liberties to make it better appeal to the larger masses. I don't really want an edgy Mega Man, I just want Mega Man.

Top Bottom