• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon (Wii) Pre-Order Bonus CD and Dual-Boxart

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
zigg said:
I want to play the game again, myself... when is the question.
Wait till you forget everything about the story and the memories so that when you play it again and remember how terrible the gameplay is, at least you'll have the story and what not to look forward to.

SlipperySlope said:
It's not a long game. Perhaps 8-10 hours? I forgot. It has superb atmosphere and a good story. And fantastic stylized visuals. Some of the backgrounds are breathtaking. And as noted, yes, clunky controls. Although its biggest problem is the weapons breaking.

Definitely worth it to play through to the end. I'm tempted to spoil the ending, but I won't. You'll have to see it for yourself.

Edit - I'd like to get updates on your progress. I'm weird that way :) There was a guy in an LTTP Shattered Memories thread that didn't give updates.

Well, I'm over 4 hours in. Just finished the
roller coaster tracks
part. So now I'm
underground

Not much has changed, except now I'm kind of getting used to the timed button presses to do more damage. It takes a bit of getting used to for me because I usually space out my button presses a bit longer due to PSO/PS0.

I thought
PF would be with you throughout most of the adventure, so I was a bit surprised when it died early on. I suppose the developers only had it as a way to explain the invisible enemies and such.

So far though, there really is not much of a story =/ Just environments and memory fragments.

Yuterald

I finished this game ages ago and remembered really enjoying it. I somehow gathered every memory too and had a max inventory/level. There is not much replay value to the game other than collecting the memories and maxing your character out. But the atmosphere and story were great in Fragile. There is definitely a nice twist/reveal towards the end but for the life of me I can't remember what happens lol!

The two backtracking quests in this game...ugh.

Then after that you have to go underground again and through a long corridor then climb down a long ladder -- trying to out do MGS3.

Edit:

Ok now 13 hrs 32 mins in. The game is longer than I figured but it's only because of the annoyingly long corridors and backtracking. Plus, I'm being careful to get all the memory items. I just got to the part where
you're at a dead end and you have to follow a cat out
. Hoping it ends soon so I can move on to a different game at this point =/

Just finished it 100% with all the Memory Items. Took over 15 hours because I was meticulous. The story was not good. Terrible to be honest. The only thing that was worth knowing was why was the world in ruins and the cause is...come on! Some of the memory items provided a much better story: The Bell series and the Torn Letter series were better than the in-game's story for sure. I also played through most of the game with the sword-type weapon, with very few uses of the ranged-bow type. Once you get used to doing the button press timing, you deal more damaged that way, and with the exception of one area and one boss, the other weapons were unnecessary.

The ending was pretty weak too.
Did Ren and Seto go their separate ways at the end btw? If so, wow!

The game created a nice atmosphere and it looks good for a Wii game but the controls, combat, and story was not good. The music is good though. Long hallways and ladder climbing suck So does being underground or indoors for most of the game. 5/10. It's very obvious now during the Baten Kaitos pairing, which of the two developers deserved more credit. I haven't played Trusty Bell, but from what I heard, not good either.

With that said, X-Seed did a great job localizing it. The game looked good so I always wanted to play. Thanks to them, I did. Thank you X-Seed. Even if the game was not as good as I thought it might be, I'm glad I got to play it; elsewise, I would've forever been wondering how the game really is.

Protocol7

One of these "pearl" RPGs, that don't look like any other. True it's a bit short, but the overall atmosphere of the game is really great. Loved the characters, some scenes made me cry like a baby to be honest... and well I liked the story, I thought it was good because of that pretty sad/demoralizing/desperate feeling you have when you play. I have to tell you, don't except to have happy moments...

So the gameplay is not great yeah ok… but that's just a detail here, really don't focus on that, just enjoy the story, the characters, the beautiful and original art style/chara design, the story that each objects you find will tell you a bit more about the owner and what happened … the eerie sound of your Wiimote, the beautiful music, that post-apocalyptic set you are going to travel through, that feeling of being alone… the characters you’ll meet that make you want to go on…
Crow… CROW!!!!!!! ; ;

Anyway just play the game, and really don’t focus on those game play/corridor issues you read of, just enjoy this great story, really ^^ Makes me want to forget about it, and play it again...

PS: I'm not ditching the US voices, I was told they did a good job apparently, but as I would say for any games that have the option, play the it with the Japanese voices.

Codeblue

Mockingbird said:
The two backtracking quests in this game...ugh.

Then after that you have to go underground again and through a long corridor then climb down a long ladder -- trying to out do MGS3.

Edit:

Ok now 13 hrs 32 mins in. The game is longer than I figured but it's only because of the annoyingly long corridors and backtracking. Plus, I'm being careful to get all the memory items. I just got to the part where
you're at a dead end and you have to follow a cat out
. Hoping it ends soon so I can move on to a different game at this point =/

I am at this part and I feel the exact same way. It's such a technically terrible game but I can't stop until I find out what happens. At this point, I'm considering busting out a FAQ, something I haven't done in a decade, just to speed it along.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Mockingbird said:
The ending was pretty weak too.
Did Ren and Seto go their separate ways at the end btw? If so, wow!
No,
she dies and leaves Seto alone again.

BorkBork said:
No,
she dies and leaves Seto alone again.

No she does not. There is a manga that continues the story of the game. I've only read the first chapter, but that certainly does not happen; unless you're spoiling the ending of the manga.

Mockingbird said:
It's very obvious now during the Baten Kaitos pairing, which of the two developers deserved more credit. I haven't played Trusty Bell, but from what I heard, not good either.

So the Baten Kaitos games had shitty stories, shitty character and great graphics. Those were done by Monolith. The fantastic music, sound, and gameplay, the only thing anyone remembers from those games, were done by tri-Crescendo. Point, tri-Crescendo.

Monolith made the Xenosaga games (easily their biggest project). Which had mediocre stories, mediocre characters, mediocre graphics, mediocre music, and shitty ass gameplay. Eternal Sonata (easily tri-Crescendo's biggest project) had mediocre story, mediocre characters, fantastic music, fantastic graphics, and great gameplay. Point, tri-Crescendo.

Monolith's first Wii game, Disaster, is another mediocre game by a mediocre developer. Mediocre everything. tri-Crescendo's first Wii game, Fragile, had an incredible presentation that included some of the best graphics on the Wii, hands down the best SOUND design on the Wii, a good story with good characters, and game design that only began to suck at the end, and shitty ass controls that aren't nearly as bad as everyone says. Point, tri-Crescendo.

It's very clear who the better developer is.

Codeblue

As someone who read what everyone said about the controls, then picked the game up like a week ago, the controls are absolutely as bad as everyone says. The game does have great presentation, great sound, great graphics and all that, but the controls were God awful.

The pointer hooking on to walls you're passing by causing you to walk backwards was especially annoying.

Daouzin

The Mana Legend said:
So the Baten Kaitos games had shitty stories, shitty character and great graphics. Those were done by Monolith. The fantastic music, sound, and gameplay, the only thing anyone remembers from those games, were done by tri-Crescendo. Point, tri-Crescendo.

Monolith made the Xenosaga games (easily their biggest project). Which had mediocre stories, mediocre characters, mediocre graphics, mediocre music, and shitty ass gameplay. Eternal Sonata (easily tri-Crescendo's biggest project) had mediocre story, mediocre characters, fantastic music, fantastic graphics, and great gameplay. Point, tri-Crescendo.

Monolith's first Wii game, Disaster, is another mediocre game by a mediocre developer. Mediocre everything. tri-Crescendo's first Wii game, Fragile, had an incredible presentation that included some of the best graphics on the Wii, hands down the best SOUND design on the Wii, a good story with good characters, and game design that only began to suck at the end, and shitty ass controls that aren't nearly as bad as everyone says. Point, tri-Crescendo.

Eternal Sonata was a fun and amusing game, but it's default difficulty setting and ambiguous musings kept the game at a mediocre level of quality. Xenosaga had an interesting narrative that simply got butchered in part 2 and part 3 was too little too late.

In terms of gameplay, xenosaga was better because it was actually possible to lose in encounters.

The Mana Legend said:

Your opinion. Baten Kaitos' story and characters is superb if you played them both -- doesn't seem like you did. The first game by itself, the story really doesn't amount to anything, and I don't think anyone can argue otherwise -- but if you play the first game, its story, when combined with the second game's makes for probably my favorite story in a game.

Disaster -- while not the best looking Wii game, was a hell of a much better experience and way more fun than Fragile. Even the B-movie story was way better than what Fragile has, which is essentially just a setting.

I've never played Xenosaga, but I want to. Hoping for a port one day.

Mockingbird said:
Your opinion. Baten Kaitos' story and characters is superb if you played them both -- doesn't seem like you did. The first game by itself, the story really doesn't amount to anything, and I don't think anyone can argue otherwise -- but if you play the first game, its story, when combined with the second game's makes for probably my favorite story in a game.

Disaster -- while not the best looking Wii game, was a hell of a much better experience and way more fun than Fragile. Even the B-movie story was way better than what Fragile has, which is essentially just a setting.

I've never played Xenosaga, but I want to. Hoping for a port one day.

I have played and beaten both Baten Kaitos games (also, is there anything lamer than the "you didn't play it OBVIOUSLY" argument?). The only things I liked about them were the gameplay, the graphics (other than the hideous character models), and the music. The story and characters were ass.

And Fragile is far more fun than Disaster. Disaster manages to somehow have even worse gameplay, despite having only slightly better controls.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Mockingbird said:
No she does not. There is a manga that continues the story of the game. I've only read the first chapter, but that certainly does not happen; unless you're spoiling the ending of the manga.

Not at all aware of anything outside of the game sorry. But I got the impression from the ending that
she died, and he was all alone again. Fits with the tone of the game.

Wow, a BKO hater. That's pretty rare, considering that the entire fanbase consists of four people.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The Mana Legend said:
Monolith...mediocre developer
There's an enormous white elephant in the corner of this pointless argument. Can you guess what it is?
I'll give you a hint: it's out in Europe in 11 days.

Top Bottom