• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fragile heading to North America. Thank you XSEED!

fragile-farewell-ruins-of-the-moon-20090528023036116.jpg

http://wii.ign.com/articles/987/987312p1.html

May 28, 2009 - Earlier this year, Namco Bandai shipped the acclaimed adventure game Fragile: Farewell Ruins of the Moon in Japan and American players eagerly awaited news of a local release, which sadly never came. When contacted, Namco Bandai representatives explained that the company had no plans to publish the title, set to the backdrop of an atmospheric post-apocalyptic world, in the U.S.

Thankfully, though, Xseed Games does. IGN is able to exclusively reveal to its readers today that Xseed has secured the North American publishing rights to Fragile: Farewell Ruins of the Moon. The tri-Crescendo-developed project will ship stateside for Wii this winter, according to the company.

"We are ecstatic to be able to finally confirm Fragile: Farewell Ruins of the Moon for gamers in North America," said Jun Iwasaki, president of Xseed Games. "We have received countless requests from eager gamers pleading with us to publish this title, and it gives us great joy to be able to give the public what they want while being able to work on such a great game."

fragile-farewell-ruins-of-the-moon-20090527112711336-000.jpg

IGN: What about English voice work? What're your ambitions there? ?

Kenji: We're all looking forward to doing the recording for the English voices. Still trying to finish the text translations so casting hasn't started yet, but hopefully we can live up to the Japanese voices.?To the hardcore gamers out there that think "if it's not Japanese it's crap", please check out the English voices too because we do work really hard?on the English?voice-over recordings and it'll be a shame if nobody uses the English audio option (assuming we're lucky enough to keep the original Japanese, of course).

IGN: Finally, content wise, are any changes planned?

Kenji: Some of the graphics will of course be changed to English, but we're really not taking anything out or thinking about any major changes at this point. We're trying to get some additional content as the development team seems to be really?enthusiastic about their?game?getting released?in North America,?but too early to tell if scheduling and technical issues may prevent?it or not at this point.

fragile-farewell-ruins-of-the-moon-20090527112700196-000.jpg

Vinnk

Awesome!

Bought the Japanese version and loved the music and story (made up for the not so great battle system), but due to my sub-pare Kanji skills I missed out on a lot of the text.

Will double dip!

AceBandage said:
Gameplay wise, it was average.
But the setting, atmosphere and story were really good.
For atmosphere, setting, and story I'll watch a film or read a novel.
I like my games above average thank you very much.

Good that it's coming out stateside for those who are interested though.

Well, it's nice that Namco seems to be relaxing its policy against letting other third parties pick up their games (if only Nintendo and Square-Enix would do the same). Wish this was happening with a better game, though... shame it apparently didn't live up to its potential.

markatisu

Vinnk said:
Awesome!

Bought the Japanese version and loved the music and story (made up for the not so great battle system), but due to my sub-pare Kanji skills I missed out on a lot of the text.

Will double dip!

Same here, will gladly buy again. GAF hates on every fucking thing if it is Wii I guess

LiK

_dementia said:
For atmosphere, setting, and story I'll watch a film or read a novel.
I like my games above average thank you very much.

Good that it's coming out stateside for those who are interested though.

*pinches cheeks*

zigg

I don't know what to think.

On one hand, I was always intrigued by the whole concept, the style, everything.

On the other, I really hate bad games, and Fragile hasn't exactly been garnering praise for its gameplay.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I had already accepted this wasn't coming at all. Regardless of the game being good or not, localizations are ALWAYS awesome news, period.

I'm still interested in it even if so many report it being only average. I dig the atmosphere.

VerTiGo

Banned
Sweet. I had stopped hoping that it would be coming over. The Pre-E3 Wii news is really awesome across the board so far.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm a sucker for a really good story and atmosphere, and can turn a blind eye to clunky gameplay of the former two elements are worth the price of admission, but honestly I've heard nothing but below average things about the way Fragile plays.

The only good thing I've heard is that the flashlight controls well. Otherwise, it seems everything else is just a mess.

IGN said:
IGN: Finally, content wise, are any changes planned?

Kenji: Some of the graphics will of course be changed to English, but we're really not taking anything out or thinking about any major changes at this point. We're trying to get some additional content as the development team seems to be really?enthusiastic about their?game?getting released?in North America,?but too early to tell if scheduling and technical issues may prevent?it or not at this point.

Glad they're at least considering this. The original has zero replay value.

eznark

Banned
EatChildren said:
I'm a sucker for a really good story and atmosphere, and can turn a blind eye to clunky gameplay of the former two elements are worth the price of admission, but honestly I've heard nothing but below average things about the way Fragile plays.

The only good thing I've heard is that the flashlight controls well. Otherwise, it seems everything else is just a mess.

Yeah, I'm not getting the excitement.

Mockingbird said:
This company has just been doing things so well and so right that I can't believe they actually exist!

Well, aside from having their games repeatedly delayed (LKS) and putting too much on their plate in general... the latter is probably at least in part why they're not publishing Muramasa anymore.

Dascu

Well, due to the so-so impressions from those who've played it already, this isn't a "Day 1" purchase for me anymore. Though... I'll keep my eye on it. Maybe I'll buy it once it gets a price drop.

Top Bottom