• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRAGILE (Wii) new screens

Durante

PolyGone said:
Really? The character close ups look closer to Eternal Sonata to me.
He's talking about image quality in the non-bullshots, not character design. And I agree. The designs are amazing (and yes, somewhat similar to ES which is unsurprising considering the developer). The technical image quality is more akin to a mediocre PS2 game. Personally I still think it's a shame, I'd rather see the art realized on a more capable platform.

Mau ®

There is something captivating about the game. Even though it looks like crap IMO. like a 1st gen PS2 game, all those jaggies!

PolyGone said:
Really? The character close ups look closer to Eternal Sonata to me.

1188502511.jpg
but Eternal Sonata looks like a dreamcast game so...

Durante

Darkman M said:
Umm no look at some old skies of arcadia screens.
That's just a (stupid) meme based on an inane quote (at least I hope it is). Personally I think ES is the most beautiful next-gen JRPG, and I've played/seen them all except for ToV.

MoogPaul

Durante said:
Personally I still think it's a shame, I'd rather see the art realized on a more capable platform.

Well considering it's a Wii exclusive, there is no such thing as a more capable platform. Get over it.

ksamedi

Durante said:
He's talking about image quality in the non-bullshots, not character design. And I agree. The designs are amazing (and yes, somewhat similar to ES which is unsurprising considering the developer). The technical image quality is more akin to a mediocre PS2 game. Personally I still think it's a shame, I'd rather see the art realized on a more capable platform.

Pretty stupid to think that. The game is designed for the Wii controller ground up. Just because it looks good doesn't mean the game design can be copied to other systems.

birdchili

Cedille said:
I bet this game will have a camera issue.
that's usually a safe bet, though with a slower pace and flashlight-directed camera i think this could be workable. we haven't heard too much about how the fighting engine works yet.

it's sad that after a decade of 3d games we still can't get flawless cameras. lack of a second analog on wii is often an issue, but i think the pointer might be a good fit for this game.

Durante said:
Dunno, IQ looks better than a mediocre PS2 game to me. Oh and every game should've been on PC of course, for better technical realization.

61961520080929_133719_9_big.jpg

Durante said:
Fuck me, this thing still happens.

beef3483

There always has to be a graphical debate in every Wii thread. It's like a rule or something.

And it almost always contains these claims:

1. "Graphics rock!"
2. "Graphics suck!"
3. "Looks like a PS2 title."
4. "Should've been on an HD console."

It's incredible formulaic and gets real old after awhile.

Nocebo

goldenticket said:
it really is. this year has kinda been meh to me but 2009 is going to be pretty awesome
Yeah, the projects started when people finaly realized Wii was winning are slowly coming out into the light.

Artofwar420

Apart from the resolution and the antialiasing, and the higher res textures...

I mean, this game looks good. Period. Not just for a Wii game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Phife Dawg said:
Dunno, IQ looks better than a mediocre PS2 game to me. Oh and every game should've been on PC of course, for better technical realization.

61961520080929_133719_9_big.jpg
I wasn't aware that the Wii could render at 800x600...

My comment was based on this shot...

0809297278_12.jpg

That shot is 640x480 (Wii resolution) and is the only shot with a full HUD present. I'd say that accurately portrays what we will see on the Wii itself. The game is quite lovely, but the actual IMAGE QUALITY seems rather poor.

dark10x said:
I wasn't aware that the Wii could render at 800x600...

My comment was based on this shot...

http://www.inside-games.jp/media/205/20538/0809297278_12.jpg

That shot is 640x480 (Wii resolution) and is the only shot with a full HUD present. I'd say that accurately portrays what we will see on the Wii itself. The game is quite lovely, but the actual IMAGE QUALITY seems rather poor.
That shot is definetly old though. I'm not saying this game has shown incredible IQ yet, but I still stand by my opinion that it is nowhere near a mediocre PS2 game (and yes, that includes your shot).

dark10x

Phife Dawg said:
That shot is definetly old though. I'm not saying this game has shown incredible IQ yet, but I still stand by my opinion that it is nowhere near a mediocre PS2 game (and yes, that includes your shot).
Can you not read? I'm not suggesting that the game looks like a mediocre PS2 game, I'm saying that the image quality reminds me of an older PS2 game. You can have fantastic assets on screen with lousy image quality, you know. I don't think the age of the shots have anything to do with that either.

dark10x said:
Can you not read? I'm not suggesting that the game looks like a mediocre PS2 game, I'm saying that the image quality reminds me of an older PS2 game. You can have fantastic assets on screen with lousy image quality, you know. I don't think the age of the shots have anything to do with that either.
Give me a freaking break. You're the one with the reading comprehension problem, I didn't even quote your post :lol. I posted in response to the guy who said "The technical image quality is more akin to a mediocre PS2 game." I disagreed and still stand by that.

dark10x

Phife Dawg said:
Give me a freaking break. You're the one with the reading comprehension problem, I didn't even quote your post :lol. I posted in response to the guy who said "The technical image quality is more akin to a mediocre PS2 game." I disagreed and still stand by that.
The guy you quoted was clarifying my earlier post.

Regardless, you responded to his post by posting an 800x600 shot (which most certainly doesn't accruately represent the video output of ANY Wii game).

dark10x said:
The guy you quoted was clarifying my earlier post.

Regardless, you responded to his post by posting an 800x600 shot (which most certainly doesn't accruately represent the video output of ANY Wii game).
As you have pointed out yourself, you didn't claim the IQ looked like a mediocre PS2 game. I don't think that was a clarification of what you posted.

Regardless, I said that I stand by my point (that the IQ does not look like from a mediocre PS2 game) even in the light of the shot you have posted.

No6

Phife Dawg said:
As you have pointed out yourself, you didn't claim the IQ looked like a mediocre PS2 game. I don't think that was a clarification of what you posted.

Regardless, I said that I stand by my point (that the IQ does not look like from a mediocre PS2 game) even in the light of the shot you have posted.
Why do you keep dodging the fact that you posted a bullshot? Why not just go back, edit your post, apologize for presenting a fraudulent argument, and then continue trying to justify your stance?

Also, dark10x did, in a roundabout way, call the image quality mediocre, because any game released in 2009 with the image quality of a 2002-3 game (early-mid PS2) would be mediocre by the standards of late-PS2 games.

beef3483 said:
There always has to be a graphical debate in every Wii thread. It's like a rule or something.

And it almost always contains these claims:

1. "Graphics rock!"
2. "Graphics suck!"
3. "Looks like a PS2 title."
4. "Should've been on an HD console."

It's incredible formulaic and gets real old after awhile.

Soooo fucking true . . . sad really. Hell, I could name a Wii game for each and everyone of those claims.

I will take on (1) cause Im loving the art direction hear and the way it's done. Makes me effing hope that Nintendo makes the new Wii LoZ have a more bright and colorful art direction than TP (Not WW, just "more bright/ colorful/ cartoony. WW was too simple)

Day 1 for me:D

Durante said:

Not this shit again...

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
For fucks sake. What is up with the stupid shadow dogs and little kids legs?? Why cannot a game like this just let you explore and not have to battle the unexplainable!?

Mashing

Nice screens. The very short snippet of video in the video reel during hte conference looked great (albeit really small).

JDSN

Banned
I wonder when are they gonna show the "short stories" aspect of it, heres hoping they are more than a wall of text.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
Nintendo is on a roll lately. Another game I have to keep on my radar. The only thing I don't like is the "anime-style" characters. That art style looks so out of place in most video games.

fresquito

The art direction in this game is fucking brilliant. In every respect, really. Both to create a compelling graphical mood and to hide technical restrictions.

Vdragoon

Don't ppl get banned for going into a wii game thread and saying this should be on x HD console because it will look better? It's getting quite silly and stupid.

Vdragoon said:
Don't ppl get banned for going into a wii game thread and saying this should be on x HD console because it will look better? It's getting quite silly and stupid.
It's gone from "Wii has no good games!" to "I don't want Wii to have good games Im interested in!". Sad . . .thats been the feel for the past few days.

Anyway, this game still hasn't been confirmed to come stateside yet?

fresquito

Vdragoon said:
No, but you shouldn't try to go to a PS3,360 game thread and say it would work so much better with Wii controls.

Top Bottom